Wanted Down Under Series 9 :-)

paddymacs

Most of the would-be migrants seem to be leaving absolute palaces behind- that is , going on the criticisms they have of perfectly normal kitchens and bathrooms! Makes you wonder why on earth they would leave the UK if they are living in such luxurious circumstances and have such close and loving family members still living over there.

Most of the would-be migrants seem to be leaving absolute palaces behind- that is , going on the criticisms they have of perfectly normal kitchens and bathrooms! Makes you wonder why on earth they would leave the UK if they are living in such luxurious circumstances and have such close and loving family members still living over there.

To be fair they show the UK houses and almost without exception they are well appointed and cared for. I suppose also it is reasonable to look at a step up if you are going to the trouble, expense and emotional turmoils of a move to the other side of the world. Our recce last year was really useful for us and cost a few thousand. We would not be candidates for the show in any case because we are going on a partner visa but, even if we were, I know I would not like to put our personal circumstances under such a microscope telling also our bosses in the UK that we were considering migrating. I cannot imagine our families and friends being willing to talk on camera either.

"Ok, this is the bit where all your family and friends talk about you; it's for TV don't forget, so some tears will help with the drama of it all, and it was a requirement your contract if you remember, in clause 3, subsection 17, paragraph 5.......... Ready......Cameras......rolling....... Annnnnnnnnnd........ACTION!!!!!"

"Ok, this is the bit where all your family and friends talk about you; it's for TV don't forget, so some tears will help with the drama of it all, and it was a requirement your contract if you remember, in clause 3, subsection 17, paragraph 5.......... Ready......Cameras......rolling....... Annnnnnnnnnd........ACTION!!!!!"

Know what you mean. Nobody ever says that they should move as they will be able to have free accommodation when they visit Oz on holidays. :cool:

I've just watched the Adelaide one where the family were paying £600 ish rent at home....but their Oz budget was £1200! Er why? They found themselves £18k worse off in Aus! I cant help think they were told a budget of £1200 by the tv people. The cheaper rental prob don't make very good tv ??

To be fair they show the UK houses and almost without exception they are well appointed and cared for. I suppose also it is reasonable to look at a step up if you are going to the trouble, expense and emotional turmoils of a move to the other side of the world.

But I think that's the mistake so many migrants make - they still have that misconception that moving to Australia means they can afford a better house than they have in the UK for the same money, whereas in many areas (especially Sydney) the opposite is true. It's a different story if they have extra funds to put towards that "step up", but given the expense of migrating, most of them probably don't.

But I think that's the mistake so many migrants make - they still have that misconception that moving to Australia means they can afford a better house than they have in the UK for the same money, whereas in many areas (especially Sydney) the opposite is true. It's a different story if they have extra funds to put towards that "step up", but given the expense of migrating, most of them probably don't.

I think the series is dispelling that myth to some extent though I am struck by the budgets for rent or purchase some set for coming over which is many times more than their rent or mortgage payments where they come from in the UK. Ok if the earnings are multiplied by the same factor but that is not always the case.

I have to say that coming from Surrey to Queensland it is the case that we can get a better house than we have here for less money and near the ocean but would not be the case if we were living elsewhere in the UK.

You look at the prices of houses they see in Australia and wonder where are they? They seem very cheap today compared with the real prices. Large and palatial houses, sometimes with a sea view, supposedly near whatever city for under $500,000? I don't think so.

I haven't seen any large palatial houses by the sea on the programme at less than $500,000. Are you looking at old series perhaps.

I love the way that without fail that after a day of looking at koalas or playing golf they say something along the lines of "it's been a great, we just don't spent quality time together at home". The one yesterday after taking their kids horse riding said "Imagine being able to do something like this everyday". Not going go work in Australia are you then?

Archived