4 bed house perth £267,000

KIRK AND CO

Yeah that's true. I remember I was freaking out about costs even with New Zealand but when I worked out how much it was compared to the wages it wasn't as bad. I'll have to make sure I don't convert all the time.

There's definitely some gorgeous houses over there! If I win the lottery I'll buy one at Cottesloe lol

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

happy heart!! I totally agree with you! We had to rent our Uk home initially because of the GFC when we came here, eventually 3 years later we sold it for $75k less than we bought it, just luckily we owed slightly less on the mortgage so coming here really felt like starting again and at 43 years old you don't want to take on a mega mortgage!!! I know what you mean about the Cottesloe block, it's crazy money and I really couldn't get my head round it, I bet it's not a big block too!!! i do agree about location, for us it's about how much of a commute hubby will do, also I do think it's about where you start, we rented round here and kind of fell in love and built up a bit of a friendship circle and just got used to the area so when it came to buy we didn't look at what we could get in other areas we just looked at what we could afford in the area we had fallen in love with and is in life it involved compromises!! one good thing about the GFC is that if we had come here with the cash up front for a deposit we would have made a big mistake, we needed to get over the honeymoon period get the rose tints off and get real, luckily we had no choice!!

500sqm...I was like...hellloooo!!

Yeah that's true. I remember I was freaking out about costs even with New Zealand but when I worked out how much it was compared to the wages it wasn't as bad. I'll have to make sure I don't convert all the time.

There's definitely some gorgeous houses over there! If I win the lottery I'll buy one at Cottesloe lol

You will convert though, all the time, it's only natural, we did it for ages like everyone does, then you lose track of UK prices and do it when you go back but the other way round, lol. Loads nicer, cheaper (better value!) places than Cottesloe IMO but a nice suburb, I like Wembley Downs and Floreat, City Beach would be my ideal if I wanted to stay in Perth. Lovely.

that's barking mad and I bet it's not a sea view!! Cottesloe is lovely if you live on the sea front, if you don't it's like any other suburb! Crazy money and even if I won the lotto I don't think I'd pay that!!

Agree with every point. It's not what I'd spend my lottery win on either!

Is peppermint grove another one of the posh ones? I think that was one of the areas I had a nosey at

yes Peppy Grove is one of the posh areas! You wouldn't know it though off sterling hwy, there's a big red rooster at the bottom of Johnston St we stopped there 2 days after arrival and I thought it was a dumpy place, little did I know I was sat behind some of the swankiest pads in Perth!!

Guest The Pom Queen

When we first moved over here and with the exchange rate at the time, I think our first house was around $260k we sold it a few years down the line for double. Prices have jumped crazily in the last ten years but then I suppose they have everywhere.

yes Peppy Grove is one of the posh areas! You wouldn't know it though off sterling hwy, there's a big red rooster at the bottom of Johnston St we stopped there 2 days after arrival and I thought it was a dumpy place, little did I know I was sat behind some of the swankiest pads in Perth!!

Peppie Grove is the most expensive suburb in Perth! Like you say, Stirling Highway doesn't exactly scream...exclusive...once into the suburb though you see the gated residences....I have had a few clients in the area and it's usually the old Perth set, older well to do Australians. Some absolutely beautiful period properties though, I'm just agog and admiring their parquet floor or coving or timber boards or windows or other such feature...lol

When you look at comparative wages it's not as it seems. For example, a newly qualified nurse in the UK earns 21,00 pounds in Perth it's $61,000. If you look at housing costs as a percentage of average earnings its different

that is unusual, a lot of job are pretty much on equal or less pay than the same pay in UK. My sister works in medical field in Perth and said that public health jobs pay better than agency and are more sought after. Whereas in UK, agency can often pay more if you are willing to be flexible.

I suppose I should give the couple some leyway as they had a superb 4 bed house in scotland £190000 but if there house was in the newbury area £750000 plus.

And therein lies the problem really as most would-be emigrants live outside of the south east housing bubble so Australian properties seem quite pricey even after factoring in potential higher earnings (which may be aspirational rather than real). This family made a lot of very sound and sensible points.

that is unusual, a lot of job are pretty much on equal or less pay than the same pay in UK. My sister works in medical field in Perth and said that public health jobs pay better than agency and are more sought after. Whereas in UK, agency can often pay more if you are willing to be flexible.

I don't know about unusual, I believe a lot of construction and other skilled manual jobs pay more too - I think there is a smaller gap between the low paid and the high paid so that those on low wages in the UK earn more in Australia but professionals earn relatively less - working in IT I did.

It's difficult to compare though as the exchange rate is irrelevant when you're earning in $ - we always took $2=£1 as a rough comparison, although I think that would leave you a little worse off.

I don't think many people move to Australia to be financially better off though, it's the climate and lifestyle that are the big pull.

I think that's a reasonable price for a 4 bedroom but I didn't see the house in question. Down south where we live in the UK you would expect to pay around that for a decent 4 bed xx

They did make some valid points but two things. First as the man mentioned, the salaries quotes had a lot of variance from starting level to potential level. He seemed to base his sums on the lowest level, she seemed to keep mentioning the highest level. Second, and this is something that is completely their own choice, they were happy to start a 30 year mortgagee. He looked in his mid 30's so he will be over 60 by the time the house is paid off. Plus we don't know how much they factored in for holidays, etc.

I don't know about unusual, I believe a lot of construction and other skilled manual jobs pay more too - I think there is a smaller gap between the low paid and the high paid so that those on low wages in the UK earn more in Australia but professionals earn relatively less - working in IT I did.

As a IT worker, looking around Perth I found blue chip IT jobs a lot more scarce and pay was definitely worse.

They did make some valid points but two things. First as the man mentioned, the salaries quotes had a lot of variance from starting level to potential level. He seemed to base his sums on the lowest level, she seemed to keep mentioning the highest level. Second, and this is something that is completely their own choice, they were happy to start a 30 year mortgagee. He looked in his mid 30's so he will be over 60 by the time the house is paid off. Plus we don't know how much they factored in for holidays, etc.

Just because you have a 30 year mortgage doesn't mean you have to take 30 years to pay it off. My OH was 50 when we got our 30 year mortgage but I'm aiming to have it paid off in half that time.

Exactly NicF. just today we have been looking at what we would like as a mortgage comfortably and we realised that it would be better to get a 30 year mortgage, overpay by 50% and perhaps reduce our mortgage time to half.

I am 32, does that mean I am over the hill to be buying a house with a 30 year mortgage too? I do feel someone better warn most my friends then that are over 30 in the UK and still struggling to get on the housing market...

Good on the couple on todays show, living their lives for the hear and now rather than putting finance as the top of the equation. The woman in particular has turned her life around and already looks like she has won the jackpot. Good on them for following their dreams.

Its very reasonable for Perth, a bargain to be honest as you wouldn't get anything close to that price in suburbs fairly near the CBD or around the Freo area where I am but by the same token it's a helluva lot of money in sterling and I really do empathise with people migrating these days. Not all of us are old enough to have made shed loads on the UK property market that was and starting over again in Perth is pretty daunting...

Starting on the housing market is daunting anywhere Jessie. Unless you are in a mud hut in Africa I guess.

It stated it was $480k at the time of airing. For Perth prices and with a relatively large garden I thought under $500k was good. It did need minor redecorating but it was perfectly fine to live in.

I suppose though, these things do look different on TV. Hope I don't get a shock when I am there!

Butler is a fairly new suburb and there should be plenty to look at in that price bracket jac2011. Butler is OK and will get better as more infrastructure is built. There are some nicer suburbs for a little bit more money. You look young so I would max out your borrowing to be in a suburb that you really want to live in, rather than buy in Butler with the intention of moving to a nicer suburb later. If you get here and like Butler though, go for it there are a lot worse suburbs around and I think in a few years it will look like a good buy. You don't have to travel far from there to Joondalup for decent shopping, you aren't far from some great beaches, cinemas, restaurants, pubs not far away and more to come as the area grows. Butler is fine.

Well as migrants we all adapt, and we all manage to find our own little bit of OZ to call our own, I'm certainly very happy with mine but I was empathising with people contemplating migration, it's a bit of a shock when you see pretty regular houses with price tags above $1 mil but again it's relative to wages!

Anything over a mil is not going to be a "regular house" unless you are looking in the really expensive suburbs. I could only find one that was that price anywhere near Butler and below are a couple of examples of what a mill will get you. One is in a great suburb a stones throw from one of the best beaches around and a lot closer to the City than Butler.

main.jpg

main1.jpg

main.jpg

main1.jpg

that's barking mad and I bet it's not a sea view!! Cottesloe is lovely if you live on the sea front, if you don't it's like any other suburb! Crazy money and even if I won the lotto I don't think I'd pay that!!

I remember driving round Cottesloe and City Beach when we came. Some of the mansions in City Beach are amazing, took my breath away. I was used to driving past rows and rows of terraced houses with cars parked half way up the causeway, so you had to squeeze through, around Stockport. Just the space and the luxury blew me away. Way out of our price range obviously but great to look at.:wink: There is a lot of "old money" in those areas as they are the closest beach suburbs to Perth and would have been developed first. Cottesloe has a lot going for it being close to Freo, nice villagey feel to it, decent pubs and restaurants with fantastic views within walking distance. One of our favourites is Barchetta. Right on the beach, seat on the balcony on a nice day is my ideal. I had one of the nicest pork belly starters there, woodfired pizzas very good and not that expensive. I could live there very easily.

My wife did agency nursing for a while and the pay was better than having a regular job. Might have changed but I doubt it, otherwise why would you do agency work?