4 bed house perth £267,000

KIRK AND CO

Peppy Grove is one of the most expensive around Stacey. You must have expensive tastes.:wink:

Haha ill hang around posh bars and see If I can chat up some rich men lol only joking. I'm not sure what made me look there!

If I win the lottery I've to buy my mum a place in Sydney apparently by the harbour!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a IT worker, looking around Perth I found blue chip IT jobs a lot more scarce and pay was definitely worse.

Depends where you end up working rvaria. I'm in IT too and work for a multinational company in Perth and the pay is pretty good. Decent place to work too, no-one checks what time you get in, what time you leave, how long you have for lunch, nice people to work with. As long as you are doing your job no-one really bothers you.

I've known a few people leave for better money contracting or go to one of the miners like BHP or Rio Tinto and get some really good salaries. Woodside are another good payer. Depends what your skill set is a lot of the time.

Just because you have a 30 year mortgage doesn't mean you have to take 30 years to pay it off. My OH was 50 when we got our 30 year mortgage but I'm aiming to have it paid off in half that time.

You can get lots of different mortgage deals. We have an offset where we only pay interest in the difference between our bank account balance and what we owe on the mortgage. It's saved a few years and you can borrow more if you really need it. We have had a couple of friends drop themselves in it by borrowing too much when the banks didn't mind lending a lot though. Easy to get yourselves in too much debt, you have to be strict and try and save, not treat the mortgage like a line of credit and go mad.

Exactly NicF. just today we have been looking at what we would like as a mortgage comfortably and we realised that it would be better to get a 30 year mortgage, overpay by 50% and perhaps reduce our mortgage time to half.

I am 32, does that mean I am over the hill to be buying a house with a 30 year mortgage too? I do feel someone better warn most my friends then that are over 30 in the UK and still struggling to get on the housing market...

Good on the couple on todays show, living their lives for the hear and now rather than putting finance as the top of the equation. The woman in particular has turned her life around and already looks like she has won the jackpot. Good on them for following their dreams.

A 30 year mortgage is pretty standard these days isn't it jac. You aren't too old at all to get a good loan. If you're anything like us you are scared to death and think how will we afford this when you get the house and a few years later, your salary has gone up a bit, maybe interest rates are lowered and all of a sudden it's not so bad.

I would say don't go living on beans on toast trying to pay it off as quick as you can. We've had a few friends do that too, as well as the ones who liked spending too much. It makes life a real drag if you are forever thinking about what you are spending. You have to have a balance and be able to go out and enjoy this fantastic place we live in.:yes:

Haha ill hang around posh bars and see If I can chat up some rich men lol only joking. I'm not sure what made me look there!

If I win the lottery I've to buy my mum a place in Sydney apparently by the harbour!

Have a look round Applecross on real estate sites or google maps. There are some fantastic places there. We have friends who have a quarter acre block and an older house, surrounded by massive properties. We stayed with them when we first arrived, what an introduction to Perth. From Gee Cross in February, freezing cold and dull to a riverside property with views across the swan to the City and around 35 degrees.:jiggy:

Our friends took us down to the river front the first night we were here and I thought "this will do me", instantly felt like we'd done the right thing.

Depends where you end up working rvaria. I'm in IT too and work for a multinational company in Perth and the pay is pretty good. Decent place to work too, no-one checks what time you get in, what time you leave, how long you have for lunch, nice people to work with. As long as you are doing your job no-one really bothers you.

I've known a few people leave for better money contracting or go to one of the miners like BHP or Rio Tinto and get some really good salaries. Woodside are another good payer. Depends what your skill set is a lot of the time.

Do you think you earn more than 2-2.5 times what you would in the UK though? That's the point - a nurse it's seems earns 3x what they do in the UK so are financially better off in Australia despite the higher prices. I would sincerely doubt you do. I wonder how in touch you are with UK salaries these days?

The mining companies were paying $1000 a day for my skill set and my first contract back in the UK was £525 a day. In no way suggesting you can't live a good life on $1000 a day, but it's a myth that everyone earns more in Australia and sadly people still migrate believing that is the case. We migrated knowing we'd be financlly worse off - I was on £450 a day in the UK when we left and you don't simply turn up and walk into a £1000 a day job - domain knowledge, local knowledge and coffee with the right people on the Terrace is needed.

As I said though I don't think people migrate to be rich, that certainly wasn't our motivation.

Just because you have a 30 year mortgage doesn't mean you have to take 30 years to pay it off. My OH was 50 when we got our 30 year mortgage but I'm aiming to have it paid off in half that time.

that is true, I guess I am just wary as in the UK I've seen friends lose their property or having to re-mortgage for even longer term in the financial crisis of the last 7 years. No doubt people can pay it off, mine should be paid off 10 years early but I didn't borrow a huge multiplier, I think at the time it was 2.5x my income. Pre-crisis people where borrowing 6x or 7x their income. These days most banks lend maximum 4x your income or 3.5x joint income and ask for 30% deposit.

Also in the UK, I don't think you are allowed to take out a mortgage whose term ends are retirement age.

Anything over a mil is not going to be a "regular house" unless you are looking in the really expensive suburbs. I could only find one that was that price anywhere near Butler and below are a couple of examples of what a mill will get you. One is in a great suburb a stones throw from one of the best beaches around and a lot closer to the City than Butler.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28121[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28122[/ATTACH]

definitely wasn't looking in the expensive suburbs, wouldn't get much for a mil there! We found ourselves in the suburbs around Freo when we landed, we loved it and very much bonded so wanted to stay! We wanted a 4 x 2 and of course we wanted a pool, around Beaconsfield, South Freo, Coogee, White Gum Valley they were generally a mil + and pretty modest blocks too! We ended up with a 3 x 1 in Hammy Hill for quite a bit less although even there we did see larger houses touching the Mil in parts close to Freo! We contemplated a block in a new development that is part Coogee and Part Spearwood (definitely not an expensive suburb) 500sqm was 500k thereabouts and when we looked into the cost of building was shocked to see a 4 x 2 2 story with pool, landscaping and all the extra plug points, lights etc was coming in at 600k, would have been a gorgeous home but certainly not swanky!!! anyway, after a few years of saving and waiting we picked up the forever home in Coogee at a great price as quite a few there are desperately selling up to build new homes in Port Coogee!!

My wife did agency nursing for a while and the pay was better than having a regular job. Might have changed but I doubt it, otherwise why would you do agency work?

One reason is because of the increasing casualisation of the workforce; there just aren't as many permanent jobs around. Casual worker get a higher hourly rate because they don't get holiday or sick benefits. For those who don't take much time off it works out better. And for employers who've been stung by serially sick permanent employees it's a Godsend. The real downside is that lenders much prefer permanent income rather than casual income, even if the amount coming in is less.

To just clarify. .It has been mentored wages are better in oz so the big house price tags are not as much as they sound. .better wages isn't the case for every body..I did agency work in Oz and annually was on about $55k. .agency work in UK in on annually about £57k. .It all depends on what your job is..! I used to live watching down under prog.

Do you think you earn more than 2-2.5 times what you would in the UK though? That's the point - a nurse it's seems earns 3x what they do in the UK so are financially better off in Australia despite the higher prices. I would sincerely doubt you do. I wonder how in touch you are with UK salaries these days?

The mining companies were paying $1000 a day for my skill set and my first contract back in the UK was £525 a day. In no way suggesting you can't live a good life on $1000 a day, but it's a myth that everyone earns more in Australia and sadly people still migrate believing that is the case. We migrated knowing we'd be financlly worse off - I was on £450 a day in the UK when we left and you don't simply turn up and walk into a £1000 a day job - domain knowledge, local knowledge and coffee with the right people on the Terrace is needed.

As I said though I don't think people migrate to be rich, that certainly wasn't our motivation.

I don't think many people emigrate expecting to be rich, or enabling them to be rich. Most would be just happy with an equivalent job and pay that they had in the UK I think. The things that people come for are mostly the lifestyle that decent weather and being near the Ocean brings.

Don't know where you get the 2-2.5 times what you would earn in the UK figure from? Isn't that just the multipliers that are bandied around about how much you would need in dollars if you earned x amount of pounds? Not 2-2.5 times as much as you earned in the UK. Those jobs would be few and far between I think. My son is in the process of changing jobs at the moment mind you and says he will get about an extra $1,000 a week. That will put him on a fantastic salary for a 25 year old electrician, even though his swing might change from one week on one off to 2 weeks on one off.

I've been pretty happy with where I work. I could have gone contracting a few times and earnt a lot more but I like the routine and flexibility of where I work. If we earned more my wife would just buy more shoes and have her hair done more often.:wink: I've got heaps of long service and normal leave to come, might have a few weeks off now, the weathers brilliant.

As for prices being higher in Aus I honestly don't think they are. The only thing I found cheaper in the UK was going out to the pub for a pint.

To just clarify. .It has been mentored wages are better in oz so the big house price tags are not as much as they sound. .better wages isn't the case for every body..I did agency work in Oz and annually was on about $55k. .agency work in UK in on annually about £57k. .It all depends on what your job is..! I used to live watching down under prog.

55K is a pretty poor wage for Aus. No wonder you struggled.