Been here 4 years today

mr luvpants

Wow! How time flies! This day four years ago Lisa and I stepped off the plane at Brisbane to start another chapter in our life. It's been hard sometimes as we miss family and friends in the UK but overall it was a great move and we love our life and our jobs here and have no intention of returning to the UK to live. We love exploring Australia in our camper and we are able to do more as a couple due to the life style here (and the weather). If you are interested, our updates are in our post history. Tomorrow we can apply for citizenship. To all those thinking about it, JUST DO IT. If it is not for you then return but at least then you will know.

JOHN

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/104518-luvpants-have-landed-our-arrival-report.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/202316-we-have-been-here-three-years-we-going-back.html

Congratulations! It's great to see such a positive post with highlighting your experience in Australia. All the best of luck with your citizenship, I am sure you and Lisa will succeed.

Guest The Pom Queen

Wow John, time really has flown, I remember when you were studying for the police exams etc. Your sexy fireman outfit pmsl.

I am so happy that things have worked out for you. Great news on the citizenship.

I am really glad it worked for you. I think the bit about it being hard sometimes, but still being glad you did it is really important. Emigration is hard - and coming from Britain it is easy for us to articulate it and, if we want, to go back. It is about finding the balance, getting through the dark days and focusing on the light ones. I am here nearly five years and on balance I think it is very positive, but there are still blue moments.

Imagine what it must be like for someone coming from a developing country where they will have just as many things that they miss - plus language and cultural differences - but find little sympathy at either end if they talk about how hard they find the process. Everyone just assumes they should be glad to be here.

• 6 months later...

UPDATE:

So after nearly 5 years here we finally became citizens last week and my ozzie passport rocked up today. Our house is up for sale and we put in and had an offer accepted for a piece of land to build our dream house. Life is great here. Yes we miss family but as a couple we are stronger than ever and can honestly say we enjoy life here and will not be going back.

UPDATE:

So after nearly 5 years here we finally became citizens last week and my ozzie passport rocked up today. Our house is up for sale and we put in and had an offer accepted for a piece of land to build our dream house. Life is great here. Yes we miss family but as a couple we are stronger than ever and can honestly say we enjoy life here and will not be going back.

Great update and a fantastic success story. Congratulations on gaining citizenship!

Why did I think you'd gone back to UK??

No Idea. I would be lying if I said I have not a had few "moments". In fact the last was about 8 months ago when I would have been in the UK fire service for 20 years if I was still in the UK and saw all my colleagues on FB getting their 20 year medals. Out of the blue it hit me and I thought " what am I doing here"! I had a good chat with my wife about my feelings and I give myself an upper cut and it all went away. It was a big thing moving away from the UK and it is not to be expected that "things" are going to pop up. I am super settled now and in the words of Susan Boyle "wild horses would not drag me away". How are you getting on?

No Idea. I would be lying if I said I have not a had few "moments". In fact the last was about 8 months ago when I would have been in the UK fire service for 20 years if I was still in the UK and saw all my colleagues on FB getting their 20 year medals. Out of the blue it hit me and I thought " what am I doing here"! I had a good chat with my wife about my feelings and I give myself an upper cut and it all went away. It was a big thing moving away from the UK and it is not to be expected that "things" are going to pop up. I am super settled now and in the words of Susan Boyle "wild horses would not drag me away". How are you getting on?

All good this end. The right move for us too. Coming up to 7 years. Enjoying life. Great to hear all is well for you and Lisa. Long may it continue.

UPDATE:

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this positive update. Sometimes it can seem (aside from a few active regulars) that nobody is making a successful go of emigration as those that do rarely return to update I suspect.

Archived