Gecko in the house!

Lindor

Leave him alone.

Since the geckoes moved in to our house about 10 years ago, we haven't seen ANY spiders over 5 cent size and no cockroaches. That, in a house deep in the Brisbane outer suburban bush that was home to plate sized huntsmen and cockies forever coming in from the bush.

They're gorgeous cute little things and apart from the odd bit of (non-smelly) gecko poo, are great house guests.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm not scared of them, I occasionally see them on the balcony in an empty plant pot, it's the first time I've seen one in the house and I know they're harmless and will eat all the things I'm scared of, I'm worried about it wanting to get out and not being able to. Also, I have an intermittant Mortein spray on the wall and occasionally find flies spinning around on the floor, will the gecko be harmed if it ate one of them?

The best way is to be very quick and put a plastic container over them, then push a stiff piece of card/cardboard carefully underneath, carry both outside and release.

Good luck but they are harmless unless they get into anything electric, the smell of frying gecko isn't very pleasant!

I have several of these in my house. I have not sprayed the house in the two years I have been here and apart from the garage have only every spotted the odd very small spider inside. We have many critters large and small where I live. I don't worry about them. They are very shy and won't come near anyone. If they want out they will find a way.

Millie

We had one that lived behind a picture in our old place, he was there so much the kids named him (Neville), no idea why. One night he are a dragonfly that no word of a lie was almost as big as him !!

He came and went on his own and the only annoying thing was when he used to do his noisy call every now and again.

I'd leave him alone, I tried to catch one once, but it was too quick for me.

An expat story hope no one minds

Husband tel. Wife who is newly arrived in Brunei.

asks is everything ok?

Wife replies yes but I have a lizard in the house.

husband; probably just a gecko, quite normal.

husband tel. a little while later to see if all is well.

wife, yes but the gecko is still in the house.

husband again says don't worry, but then hears a crash.

husband, what's that

wife. The geckos just knocked a table over.

husband. How big is the gecko.

wife. About 6 foot.

it was a monitor lizard!!!

true story, so don't worry about a gecko unless it's 6 foot.

I wait until they are still and put a large cup over them and slide cardboard underneath and deposit them outside. I don't particularly like them in the house as they are so noisy and poo down the walls on occasion. I am sure they prefer being out with all the bugs too.

• 3 weeks later...
I live in Brisbane and we don't have flies here so I don't need to spray them but geckoes only eat live things so I imagine a bit of Flying Insect Mortein (which kills flies super fast) won't harm them.

I have killed a young Gecko (in India) with a can of Mortein by accident... :( I was spraying ants that were coming into the bedroom and didn't see it hiding behind the curtain.

I'm shifting to Sydney soon and I'm pleased to hear they're regular visitors to the house - they're good friends to have around!

Archived