What are your Pros and cons about moving to Australia?

marie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeezo there's the police for everything on here lol - grammar police, bed time police, food police etc :laugh: I've heard loads of people on here talk about it so I'd like to try it

LOL. It is very string tasting Stacey,, imagine finely crumbling a chicken Oxo cube over your chips and you will be somewhere near,lol..

Cal x

I might leave it as a surprise for when I get there instead of ordering it online. I can sprinkle it on my shark sausages :biglaugh:

I'll have some of those shark sausages but I don't think you'll find any

Some households wouldn't have a choice.

If the adults are at work all day and kids are at School then dog needs to be outside when nobody is home.

Dog Door ? Lets the dog decide do they want to be in or out. We have never had a doggy accident in the house.

Dogs are dogs though.

We should not put our people characteristics on to them.

I know from my own dog, when I am home she always wants to be inside with me and will whimper to come in.

But if I am out or she thinks I am out she is perfectly happy outside.

I have a fairly good size back garden and she is happy to wander around or lie down outside.

Pros ....weather ...big open spaces ...nice beaches .

Cons .... Well jobs I say ....although for oh it's on the up by the looks of it , been invited to apply for jobs just recently perth and brisbane . For me nothing too many people Looking for same thing ....so main concern is enough work for my oh ....leaving family not celebrating Xmas , new year , birthdays , weddings ect ... There's other cons personal to me but nothing I carnt deal/ cope with , I'll say no more for the fear of getting shot down though :)

My dogs "kennel" is the end of my bed.

Our dog always stayed inside, and slept in the bedroom as well. My parents' dog sleeps in the kitchen. For me a dog is good company, part of the family, so I don't see the point in buying one just to ignore it most of the time by leaving it outdoors. It's not like Australians spend all their time outdoors - they sit inside watching RBT every night just like everyone else. I'm told they buy the dogs and put them outside to deter break-ins, but by the looks of this graph it's not working very well.

burg2.jpg

2000px-Burglaries_per_1,000_pop.svg.jpg

2000px-Burglaries_per_1,000_pop.svg.jpg

burg2.jpg

Aus tv is crap..(if rbt is a tv thing??)..I dnt watch it..I sit outside wth my dogs n watch them play..I dnt have them outside to deter break ins..they'd b rubbish n let anyone in anyway lol they can cum in if they want but they choose not to..but their is two of them maybe they would want to come in n sleep wth me if it was just one of them. Sum dogs do just get left though..ive foned rspca couple times on ppl in aud for that..but uk dogs in houses can get ignored n shut out of family too n be locked in all day then screamed at for pooin inside or chewing through boredom :( depends on the dog n ur lifestyle n size of yard I think. My view on kping dogs outside has completely changed since living here. Its too hot n cramped for them inside n they have more freedom outside..they are happy their so I am too :)

i agree with the rubbish TV, Ozzie tv is unwatchable with the adverts, but then again i have Hola on my laptop so i can watch bbc iplayer, 4od etc

but the people are so friendly, still cant get used to everybody saying hello as you walk round. Countryside isbeautiful (live down the SW of WA in Bunbury)

Prices are more than the UK but nothing we cant cope with, but $10 a pint, and thats for ice cold c##p.... but the there's my saviour Mr Dan Murphy, who provides all my ale.

We're glad we made the move, only been here a month but no going back to the UK

i'd recommend it to anybody

Australia doesnt offer any more than the UK these days except you don't feel cold as often but then again the heat is just as uncomfortable sometimes. I was talking to someone in the shops today - she emigrated 40 years ago and she did so because, her words " to many ethnics, you couldnt afford to buy a house in England and jobs were hard to come by"

She went on to say its just the same here now.

You can stay in England and have a great life, maybe even a better life than in Australia, BUT, once that migration 'seed' has been planted, you have changed your mindset irrevocably. You could still stay in England and have that great life, better life even, and let's face it, the people who hated their experience in OZ, want you to do just that. As I have said before, they are like smokers who can't give up. They can't stand to see other people succeed.

Once that seed is planted, nurture it, water it, watch it grow, and don't let the OZ-haters smother it with their 'poison!' Come and see for yourself. And remember the odds are hugely in your favour!

You can stay in England and have a great life, maybe even a better life than in Australia, BUT, once that migration 'seed' has been planted, you have changed your mindset irrevocably. You could still stay in England and have that great life, better life even, and let's face it, the people who hated their experience in OZ, want you to do just that. As I have said before, they are like smokers who can't give up. They can't stand to see other people succeed.

Once that seed is planted, nurture it, water it, watch it grow, and don't let the OZ-haters smother it with their 'poison!' Come and see for yourself. And remember the odds are hugely in your favour!

I think a great life in England is possible but despite outrageous Australian rip-off retail prices I would still argue we would need to be much richer to have the same quality if life in the UK that we have in Australia. This is mainly because of the considerably more expensive property prices in England, but also other factors like the terrible commuting there, the traffic, the rude people, the litter and the low wages. Having said all that there are advantages for us in the UK so it's hard weighing them all up. The expat's curse.

• 3 months later...
Australia doesnt offer any more than the UK these days except you don't feel cold as often but then again the heat is just as uncomfortable sometimes.

you've not been back to the UK for a bit have you :-)

The attitude of the locals to life here is much better than at home, not so many dour people over here. I do miss the cold but I don't miss the country coming to a standstill over a cm of snow. I miss being able to pile down the motorway at 90mph but I enjoy the long drives at a more sedate pace here (even if the locals have no idea on how to drive). The food options are better over here for fresh produce (though again I miss black pudding and haggis, and don't get me started on faggots). I enjoy how everyone, even complete strangers say hello in the street, it's nice to be able to walk through town at night without feeling threatened etc etc. Oz does offer more than the UK, and I think I can cope with a bit of warmer weather (even starting to feel cold in the mornings now, must be getting localised)

Archived