• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this time forward

I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,

whose democratic beliefs I share,

whose rights and liberties I respect, and

whose laws I will uphold and obey.

None of those things are compromised by me living abroad for a while, just as they wouldn't be for a born-here Aussie who chose to live and work overseas. No doubt you'll jump on the word "loyalty" but I believe you can be loyal to a number of things as the pledge itself suggests - the country and its people - and in my case, my family.

ETA I don't mind Melza. I get the sense the question wasn't ask in the spirit of information shared/genuine interest but that's okay. I 100% believe that being both an Australian and a British citizen is a good thing and that moving between the countries as my family's needs change is the absolutely right thing to do, my conscience is completely clear and I believe I am acting with integrity as I have always done.

Edited by Aunt Agatha

It doesn't sound like you have a clue what you are talking about so I wish you hadn't posted in this thread.

I know that you love pushing people's buttons but rest assured you haven't pushed mine. I know my level of commitment to this country, the UK and to my family. Your completely misguided opinion makes me even more pleased that I got citizenship so thanks!

• Like 1

No you weren't you were attempting to judge me for my choices.

I've had citizenship for over a year so I didn't leave "immediately" but the truth isn't convenient to your argument so you have chosen to ignore that.

I would never try to embarrass/upset people on a random forum but it doesn't seem to impact on your moral code. Each to their own.

And remind us all again how this affects you?

Does it have to affect me to give an opinion.

You are not shy in giving your opinion to Jase and others in various threads.

Posting in a thread invites opinions.

But to answer your question, I don't like it because so many people would so love to be citizens, commit to the country and live here forever, that it seems wrong when people play the system, get the citizenship but don't want to live here.

But to answer your question, I don't like it because so many people would so love to be citizens, commit to the country and live here forever, that it seems wrong when people play the system, get the citizenship but don't want to live here.

But that's not what I am doing so why are you using that line to have a go at me, sorry, express your opinion?

Does it have to affect me to give an opinion.

You are not shy in giving your opinion to Jase and others in various threads.

Posting in a thread invites opinions.

Neither you or your opinions are worthy of a response...BUT....how has she 'played the system'? The criteria is 4 years here...shes done that, end of...it really is that simple!

Shes lived here 11 years lets not forget, and 1 year ago, was she meant to predict that her mother would get cancer therefore not apply for her citizenship? I dont think anyone (you already have and no doubt will continue to do so) would criticise her for choosing to move back home to spend time/look after her sick mother..even if that does mean 'playing the system' and not staying in Australia...heaven forbid!

I mentioned that I didn't know my mother in law would be diagnosed with breast cancer at our citizenship ceremony (which took place last year). So I didn't know then that we would be leaving in Feb 2015.

MBTTUK has always been a possibility though (we didn't consciously emigrate for life) so I won't claim sainthood just yet. But the fact that I love it here and I love it in the UK and we have Australian children means there's a good chance we'll return one day. I'm very grateful that my duel citizenship makes that possible.

Hypocrisy can work both ways though. There are plenty of Brits that slag off Britain constantly and vow they're never go back but more than happy to keep renewing their British passport and then getting them for their kids and grandkids and because it opens doors when travelling - they do that because they can. I will be completely honest and admit I got my Australian citizenship and passport years ago only because I could, not because I wanted to live here forever. My main reason for citizenship was the right to vote in a country I live permanently in and pay taxes. However if I wasn't allowed dual citizenship then there's no way I would have got it. Be interesting to know how many of us would sacrifice our UK passport for our Australian one?

Congratulations on getting your passport Aunt Agatha!

Edited by Katie22

I'm quite excited to see 'Australian' under the 'nationality' section - makes me feel all exotic! LOL

Can't wait to use it for something - even just ID.

Congratulations AA, got 5 years to go myself. Hope everything works out ok in the UK for you. It's difficult having family so far away from you, especially in times of need and sickness. I lost my mother and father in law to the Big C, in the same year (not saying that this will happen to you, obviously) while we were living in Germany, never made it back in time to see either of them. In hindsight, I think we should've gone back, I'll always regret not being there. You have to make decisions that are best for you and your family at the time. We have made a decision that we will stay in Australia until we get citizenship whatever happens (don't intend leaving at all, but you never know what life has in store for you, it's very easy to criticise someone's decisions from a comfy armchair), simply because it makes it so much easier to return, if we had to leave for a while, for whatever reason.

Best of luck for the future, whatever you decide to do..

:smile:

Thanks guys, appreciate the support and the congratulations.

DH lost his Dad to cancer, my Dad is in remission and now DH's Mum has it, shocking disease. Sorry you lost your Dad and MIL @Nearlythere1, it must have been very hard to have been living away at that time.

I am happy about my Australian passport for all the right reasons and it has really pretty pictures (though not the one of me sadly!) to boot :-)

There's nothing wrong with Aunt Agatha's decision getting a Australian passport after 11 years.

To the contrary, she's not only committed to Australia, she's also committed to her family and in-laws!

To be honest I don't know if I would be able to the big sacrifice Aunt Agatha is planning to do and leaving Australia because a parent/parent-in-law is terminally ill! Not everyone would consider this even when family ties are close and strong. I wish her mother-in-law all the best.