Got my Australian passport today!

Aunt Agatha

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I'm talking about you and your friends who continually run down this great country.

I just find it so sickening and wish you would leave, or ideally you get deported and no further entry marked in red on your records.

But........................I thought you wanted me to get citizenship?

I'm determined to do it so I can vote in the 2016 Federal election! :hug:

God forbid!

You know I'm talking about you and your friends who continually run down this great country.

I just find it so sickening and wish you would leave, or ideally you get deported and no further entry marked in red on your records.

Why stop there, why not have us tortured until we recant and pledge allegiance to the Great Southern Land, or have us beaten to death with aluminium cricket bats as a warning to others?

Honestly Parley, there are two things about you that I don't understand;

1. Why any criticism of a country you were not born in enrages you so much?

2. Why you are drawn to threads where criticisms are made of Australia?

I really don't get this over-identification with an adopted country, to the extent that you get so upset at any criticism or mockery that gets aimed at it. What's at the heart of that? Everything in life is subject to critical appraisal, so why should a country or a nation be any different? Australia markets itself to the world as a desirous place to live, so what of it if not everyone who comes to live here is as impressed by it as you are? So long as you love it that's all that matters surely?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hope you aren't getting personal Parley :no:

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes, please stand up to make a difference, every vote counts.

Guest The Pom Queen
I suppose I take it personally when people continually run down Australia.

They are just relentless with their criticism and it gets to me sometimes.

But Parley that isn't a personal attack on a specific member.

Guest The Pom Queen
As good as if someone keeps attacking something you hold dear.

Of course it becomes personal

I am more than happy to discuss the forum rules with you via pm if you would like :yes:

I am just sorry that this thread has been taken over. Maybe we should start a new thread.

I have to say @parleycross that I felt attacked by you when you said you wished I hadn't got my citizenship etc. That was pretty personal and relentless. It's especially galling as I frequently say how much I enjoy Australia and how much I have loved my time here.

Thanks to everyone who has shared my genuine excitement at getting my Australian passport. As I mentioned I have been a citizen for a while but it gave me a little thrill to see the kangaroo and the emu on that little blue book!

I think they should introduce a rule to say that if you do get citizenship you should stay in Austalia for at least another year.

Getting it to simply move abroad after taking an oath is hypocritical (and Ive done it and I'm a hypocrit too).

You do pledge an oath to Australia, so you should be expected to stay here. If you commited to the country, you should get citizenship as soon as you can. Then live here for a defnite period.

I think they should introduce a rule to say that if you do get citizenship you should stay in Austalia for at least another year.

Getting it to simply move abroad after taking an oath is hypocritical (and Ive done it and I'm a hypocrit too).

You do pledge an oath to Australia, so you should be expected to stay here. If you commited to the country, you should get citizenship as soon as you can. Then live here for a defnite period.

Yes Jase, it is a moral issue to me and we are on the same page.

I think many people have things the wrong way round.

Many sadly are interested in what suits themselves and their own convenience rather than what they should be doing which is making a commitment to Australia.

Rubbish. People leave for lots of reasons. They may have to go abroad to care for elderly relatives or for work.

Rubbish. People leave for lots of reasons. They may have to go abroad to care for elderly relatives or for work.

If you went back to England for work, then why would you go to the trouble of getting citizenship ? You obviously don't want to be here, and you wouldnt apply if you had a job.

If you went back to England for work, then why would you go to the trouble of getting citizenship ? You obviously don't want to be here, and you wouldnt apply if you had a job.

What - Like you did?

People leave for many reasons as Marisawright stated and get citizenship for the same number of reasons, for example to allow them to participate in the democratic government of the country by voting. The government also encourages it as it avoids the heartbreakign stories of non citizens who have been here for a long period of time, leaving for example to care for an elderly relative and being out of the country for more than 5 years and unable to return as they would need to apply to emigrate again.

Have you renounced your UK citizenship. You obviously dont want to be there and have no intention of returning so morally how do you keep it. Also have you suggested to your ex wife and kids that they give up their Australian citizenship as they are no longer using it. Would you want to deny your kids the opportunity of coming back in later years?

Many sadly are interested in what suits themselves and their own convenience rather than what they should be doing which is making a commitment to Australia.

@parleycross, please tell me what is immoral about me leaving Australia after 11 constructive years with my Australian citizenship (which will be two years old by the time we leave)? Are you seriously suggesting that it's at my "convenience" that we move 16,000km -without a job to go - to be closer to ailing parents and parents-in-law? I proved my commitment to Australia when I studied, worked, volunteered, paid taxes, made friends, had children and bought a house here - what more do you want, blood?!

Edited by Aunt Agatha

.........an interesting view on morality...

.........your country first.....then you and yours......

........people often move to suit their needs.....

........stay if there met......

.........and their happy.......IMO and ime.....

.........but when needs are wanting.............surely it's time to look elsewhere......?

..........staying just because you benifitted from somewhere.........though most give plenty back.....

..........makes nonsense of reasons to emigrate in the first place.....!

..........commitment to yourself and family first......!

..........the country is merely the vehical to achieve this...........IMO.....of course....tink X

Please tell me what is immoral about me leaving Australia after 11 constructive years with my Australian citizenship (which will be two years old by the time we leave)? Are you seriously suggesting that it's at my "convenience" that we move 16,000km -without a job to go - to be closer to ailing parents and parents-in-law? I proved my commitment to Australia when I studied, worked, volunteered, paid taxes, made friends, had children and bought a house here - what more do you want, blood?!

I think for some people the answer to that question is probably 'yes!'

Maybe they envisage taking out Australian citizenship as being a bit like joining a cult, like the Moonees? So that once you've joined, you're never allowed to leave!

"You are now a citizen of the Commonwealth of Australia, you are sworn to renounce your past ties with the inferior country you came from, to always support Australia in sports, and to think and behave as we all do. If you ever try and leave us we will have no choice but to kill you...." :wink:

[/b]I think for some people the answer to that question is probably 'yes!'

Maybe they envisage taking out Australian citizenship as being a bit like joining a cult, like the Moonees? So that once you've joined, you're never allowed to leave!

"You are now a citizen of the Commonwealth of Australia, you are sworn to renounce your past ties with the inferior country you came from, to always support Australia in sports, and to think and behave as we all do. If you ever try and leave us we will have no choice but to kill you...." :wink:

You may jest, but.....

.......to have a choice....!

......who knows what the future holds......!

.......wish I'd kept my UK passport...........never thought I'd need it again.....

.......and that's a long queue .....for all other passports....!