Trying to obtain a 457

Ozforus

Hi we (my partner and our family) have previously been living in QLD on a 457 visa but returned 18 months ago due to ill health. We are wanting to return and live regionally. My partners job role will come under the diesel fitter/mechanic title and he has applied for a job but has been told that they cannot offer a 457 at this time - and that its not a company decision, but its the government. Has anyone else been told this?

Are they not issuing ANY 457s or are they just taking longer/ only granting for certain jobs?

Thanks in advance

Hi we (my partner and our family) have previously been living in QLD on a 457 visa but returned 18 months ago due to ill health. We are wanting to return and live regionally. My partners job role will come under the diesel fitter/mechanic title and he has applied for a job but has been told that they cannot offer a 457 at this time - and that its not a company decision, but its the government. Has anyone else been told this?

Are they not issuing ANY 457s or are they just taking longer/ only granting for certain jobs?

Thanks in advance

457 visas are still being granted. So it must be the company that cannot sponsor.

There are some changes happening e.g. It's going to be possible for the companies to offer 10% less salary to 457 visa holders than what they offer to other visa holders....or the company may be under investigation and no longer been allowed to sponsor on 457.

Do you have any links to this?

Thanks in advance

They are still issuing 457 visas and there have been no recent changes. If anything they are being processed quicker as there has been a drop in application numbers.

The occupation of diesel fitter/mechanic can be sponsored for a subclass 457 visa.

That's very odd that we've been told that... It's was a major (known) company.

We've noticed that diesel fitter is no longer on the sol ... Does anyone know if any diesel fitters have gone under the occupation of 'fitter (general)' or 'diesel motor mechanic'. Reading the descriptions on immi ... He could be classed as either.

We are also considering a perm visa if not successful in obtaining 457 sponsorship. So would need to get assessed under one of those headings presume, by TRA.

Unfortunately we have just found out the new rule about assessments only being valid for 3 years! We have a successful one from 2009... And I still remember all the hard work

That's very odd that we've been told that... It's was a major (known) company.

We've noticed that diesel fitter is no longer on the sol ... Does anyone know if any diesel fitters have gone under the occupation of 'fitter (general)' or 'diesel motor mechanic'. Reading the descriptions on immi ... He could be classed as either.

We are also considering a perm visa if not successful in obtaining 457 sponsorship. So would need to get assessed under one of those headings presume, by TRA.

Unfortunately we have just found out the new rule about assessments only being valid for 3 years! We have a successful one from 2009... And I still remember all the hard work

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/asri/metal-fitters-and-machinists.aspx

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/asri/motor-mechanics.aspx

Have a look at these links for more details about the occupations.

Best regards.

457's are not being looked on favourably for many industries now. I know that one of the big mining companies will no longer allow any 457 visa holders to work on their project anymore. I personally know someone who worked for a reputable contrator who was denied clearance onto the mine site due to being on a 457.

I thought they could only sponsor if they could not fill the post with a local person, its possible in regional that they have local people who are looking for work in this trade due to the mining downturn.

Sadly I think many are aware of the abuse of this visa in many areas. It did tighten up but appears to be becoming easier than ever. Besides the 10% less there appears to be a relaxation in language ability as well.

457's are not being looked on favourably for many industries now. I know that one of the big mining companies will no longer allow any 457 visa holders to work on their project anymore. I personally know someone who worked for a reputable contrator who was denied clearance onto the mine site due to being on a 457.

That's very worrying.. My partners also been told that a 457 will more likely be granted for a mining position than for a construction one. Its making me think a perm visa would be best for us... As we have 3 children so don't want my partners work jeopardised once we are out there.

That's very worrying.. My partners also been told that a 457 will more likely be granted for a mining position than for a construction one. Its making me think a perm visa would be best for us... As we have 3 children so don't want my partners work jeopardised once we are out there.

Like blossom, I would not even consider a 457 visa for a family.

There are always many “heard from a friend” rumours and most, like this one, are not true.

If you are looking at applying for a visa you would be well advised to do your research well and obtain professional advice to base your decisions on.

Archived