Is the 'Pacific Solution' unravelling?

Harpodom

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long ago did you write to them? Have you considered going to their office?

WTF? Why are you pursuing this line of questioning?

Whatever I say to you, a complete stranger, you'll insinuate I haven't personally done enough. Which is ironic, seeing as you are in full agreement with current govt policy.

Frankly your opinion means zilch to me.

All the people on here that disagree with the way the asylum seekers are treated, do you do anything about it? Do you go to marches? Do you write to your local MP? Do you give to the charities that support asylum seekers?

Yes

Has your MP responded? If so what have they said?

"F*** off you Pommy c***, you shouldn't even be in 'Straya"

He's a man of some erudition is Clem Newton Brown, mind you, I was sh*tting on his lawn at the time.

Whatever I say to you, a complete stranger, you'll insinuate I haven't personally done enough. Which is ironic, seeing as you are in full agreement with current govt policy.

Settle down buddy. Getting a bit angry these days. I was simply asking a question to try and work out what you have been doing about these injustices you seem so passionate about. Yes you are right though, you can always do more.

They often say that if you have to start swearing during a discussion then you have last the argument. Carry on though, you do look funny getting so worked up.

I haven't given you an opinion recently so stop jumping to conclusions and getting so worked up, it certainly can't be doing your blood pressure any good.

By saying I'm in full agreement with the government policy what do you mean by that? It doesn't look like I'm the only one either on this forum or in Aus that agree with stopping the boats, offshore processing but that the detainees should be treated properly.

"F*** off you Pommy c***, you shouldn't even be in 'Straya"

He's a man of some erudition is Clem Newton Brown, mind you, I was sh*tting on his lawn at the time.

Hahaha, another comment worthy of some backslapping, carry on you two, like 2 peas in a pod.

Its funny how you enjoy putting people down when you are arguing against such practices by the Australian government.

Hahaha, another comment worthy of some backslapping, carry on you two, like 2 peas in a pod.

Its funny how you enjoy putting people down when you are arguing against such practices by the Australian government.

I can only report what the Right Honourable Member said WB. If memory serves, he said something similar to Julia Gillard during the parliamentary debate on Mandatory Pie Eating back in 2010. Must check Hansard for exact quote.

Edited by User70277

What font was your letter typed in Harpo?. If it was Comic Sans or Garamond then they wouldn't prioritise it, but if it was Ariel then I'd imagine you might get a response before Chrimbo.

What were you wearing at the time of writing it, a "F*ck Abbott" t-shirt, or your Geelong Katz Fuddy shirt?

Did you enjoy an ice-cold VB whilst composing it, or was it one of those poncy european lagers with alcohol in it, and taste and that?

Its funny how you enjoy putting people down when you are arguing against such practices by the Australian government.[/QUOTE]

Harpo and I mock the Australian Government.

The Australian Government locks up innocent men, women and children in unsafe off-shore camps for the 'crime' of seeking asylum.

Which of us is taking the p*ss here?

You're new signature says it all mate:

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

I have had so many circular arguments on this thread and others on the same subject.

It is truly depressing what low/non existent expectations people have of their governments in their dealings with asylum seekers.

For all the mind numbing circularity of the 'points' made by the other side,

('what do they expect, The Hilton?'.....'well, they're all queue jumpers anyway, no sympathy from me'.....'well, how do we know they're not terrorists, best keep em locked up forever'........'if these allegations are true [and I don't for a minute believe they are] people would never want to come to Australia......'well we're not that bad when compared with Zimbabwe/Rwanda/Somalia so its all good'.......'well, 80% of Australians want this so that makes it alright in my book'......'they just wanna steal our jobs/sponge off the welfare state [delete as appropriate]'........'they have no right to whinge about conditions, they're at least safe in these places which is more than can be said for the place they left'........'why do people like SHY only care about asylum seekers, she couldn't care less about Australians?'........'why do they bypass so many countries in their way to Australia?'........'detention isn't mentally damaging them, they were mentally damaged already'......'how come they can afford mobile phones, they can't be that hard up?'....'anyway, why do you care so much? You're not even Australian' etc etc etc etc ad infinitum)

that Orwell quote rings truer now than it ever did: people just couldn't give a f@@k.

The Australian Government locks up innocent men, women and children in unsafe off-shore camps for the 'crime' of seeking asylum.

Edited by Harpodom

[h=1]Manus Island whistleblower describes 'filthy' conditions inside detention centre[/h] By Andrew Greene and Benjamin Sveen

Updated about 2 hours agoSun 7 Sep 2014, 7:41pm

5724960-3x2-340x227.jpg Photo: Beau Mitchell used secret cameras to smuggle out pictures of conditions inside asylum seeker compounds on Manus Island (Supplied)

Related Story: Lawyer investigating negligence claims in death of asylum seeker

Related Story: Iranian asylum seeker dies in Brisbane hospital

Map: Brisbane 4000

A former detention centre guard says he is not surprised an asylum seeker has died from an infection he caught at Manus Island because he witnessed filthy living conditions inside the facility.

Hamid Kehazaei cut his foot at the detention centre about three weeks ago, developed septicaemia and was sent to Brisbane's Mater hospital.

The 24-year-old suffered a heart attack and was later declared brain dead.

His family in Iran made the decision to switch off Mr Kehazaei's life support late on Friday.

Former Manus Island detention centre employee Beau Mitchell has told the ABC he is not surprised at Mr Kehazaei's plight after recording evidence of poor hygiene inside.

"There's no air conditioning, the beds are extremely close together. The living standards are pretty quite filthy," Mr Mitchell said

"Often they'd be standing on concrete to have a shower that was literally falling apart underneath them, just completely rotting away."

5716242-3x2-340x227.jpg Photo: Hamid Kehazaei died in Brisbane's Mater hospital after suffering a heart attack. (Supplied: Ian Rintoul/Refugee Action Coalition)

Mr Mitchell, who was employed as a guard with contractors G4S and Wilson Security, says he used secret cameras to record some of the conditions inside the compounds which house asylum seekers.

He says he quit his job in June disgusted at what he saw, but insists medical staff at Manus Island are trying to do their best to look after detainees.

"The people that were actually working there did a fantastic job with what they had to work with," he said.

"They were seen on almost on a triage basis. Obviously if it was something quite severe they'd be seen quickly but if it wasn't an emergency it was a 2-3 day wait normally."

[h=2]Family to investigate claims of negligence[/h]The family of Mr Kehazaei has enlisted the help of a lawyer to investigate whether they have a case of negligence against the Australian Government.

Lawyer Ruth Hudson will be representing the family and believes there are obvious signs of negligence.

"This wasn't a fatal injury until the Government made it so," she told the ABC's AM program.

Audio: Family of dead asylum seeker want justice: lawyer (AM)

Ms Hudson said the family, who are seeking "justice for Hamid", were given very little information about the treatment or events prior to Mr Kehazaei's transfer to the Mater Hospital in Brisbane.

"They want me to find answers as to why their son is now gone, in circumstances where his life could have been saved," she said.

Ms Hudson said an investigation was needed to establish how Mr Kehazaei could have died as a result of the non-threatening condition while in Australian care.

"This just does not happen in a civilised society," she said.

Ms Hudson said she would investigate three critical points in the timeline of Mr Kehazaei's treatment.

There is a possibility there was an inadequate initial diagnosis, potential failure to transfer him quickly enough to Australia; and also a failure to provide adequate treatment.

Ruth Hudson, lawyer for Hamid Kehazaei

"There is a possibility there was an inadequate initial diagnosis, potential failure to transfer him quickly enough to Australia; and also a failure to provide adequate treatment," she said.

"Unfortunately, there has not been a great deal of information provided prior to Hamid being transferred to the Mater. So there is still some question as to the specific timeframe."

The Immigration Department's chief medical officer has been asked to review the case.

"Any review needs to be an independent, open inquiry into what has happened. Otherwise we just don't feel that justice will be properly served here," Ms Hudson said.

Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews said he was satisfied the case was being properly investigated.

"I understand the chief medical officer of the Immigration Department will be inquiring into this and I understand the matter's been referred to the Queensland coroner, so there's quite appropriate legal, administrative inquiries going ahead," he said.

"We should await the outcome of those inquiries before we speculate or make any further comments."

The Federal Opposition said the family deserved to know whether Mr Kehazaei received full and proper medical care.

The family requested that his body be returned and repatriated to Iran so that a funeral service can take place.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-06/manus-island-whistleblower-describes-filthy-conditions/5725042

Its funny how you enjoy putting people down when you are arguing against such practices by the Australian government.[/QUOTE]

No you and your mate take the plss out of individuals and resort to the use of swear words again in responding to individuals. If your letters are written in that sort of tone then no wonder there is no response forthcoming. You certainly do your cause no justice carrying on the way you do. Whether you are complaining about asylum seekers or something else.

I thought you were better than that EW.

Again your learning disability, that of semantic dyslexia, comes to the fore.

I only want people to be treated humanely, to have their asylum claim ACTUALLY treated seriously, in fact, actually dealt with AT ALL.

You assume that means I am encouraging terrorists to come here, but TBH, that just betrays your paranoid rightard mindset: assume everything, learn nothing. Treat ALL these people, even defenceless toddlers, as terrorists, out to blow us all up.

Again, to equate desperate people taking the massive risk of arriving by boat to an act of terrorist sabotage is.....laughable. Priceless, and laughable.:biglaugh:.

Do you REALLY think that someone contemplating a terrorist atrocity in Australia is going to come here by boat? :biglaugh:

Of course not, they will come by much more subversive means: fake passport, fake ID, by plane.

Well, they won't come here by boat under the Liberal govt, but under the ALP where everybody was accepted, naturally they would take the easiest way.

And how do you KNOW they are genuine when they have no papers?

Bottom line, anyway, is I DON"T CARE what happens to them. I voted for Abbott because he said he would stop the boats and he has. The official refugee program is still in place as it should be, but illegals are treated the way they should be - as criminals.

PS It's time for you to rant about Rudd's pink batt fiasco. Forget about asylum seekers. You've given them a year. Now give pink batts a year.

No you and your mate take the plss out of individuals and resort to the use of swear words again in responding to individuals. If your letters are written in that sort of tone then no wonder there is no response forthcoming. You certainly do your cause no justice carrying on the way you do. Whether you are complaining about asylum seekers or something else.

I thought you were better than that EW.

Sorry WB, I was just amused by your interrogation of Harpo, re his political activism and so ran with it. I don't swear as much as him though, he's a foul-mouthed f*cker.

Sorry WB, I was just amused by your interrogation of Harpo, re his political activism and so ran with it. I don't swear as much as him though, he's a foul-mouthed f*cker.

I was only trying to understand if he actually does anything about his objections to the current situation or weather he just jumps up and down on here.

I was only trying to understand if he actually does anything about his objections to the current situation or weather he just jumps up and down on here.

Harpo is very passionate about this subject, as, a great many others are, and he puts his money where his mouth is, and gets involved in stuff. We both despair at what the current government are doing here. Surely Australia is better than this?

Well, they won't come here by boat under the Liberal govt, but under the ALP where everybody was accepted, naturally they would take the easiest way.

And how do you KNOW they are genuine when they have no papers?

Bottom line, anyway, is I DON"T CARE what happens to them. I voted for Abbott because he said he would stop the boats and he has. The official refugee program is still in place as it should be, but illegals are treated the way they should be - as criminals.

PS It's time for you to rant about Rudd's pink batt fiasco. Forget about asylum seekers. You've given them a year. Now give pink batts a year.

I can’t decide whether this post is truly genuine or written for effect. Either way, to so readily and easily dismiss the pain and suffering of already vulnerable people, including children – would it be as easy to adopt such an apparent indifference if the discussion was face to face with those living in these centres, rather than an abstract political argument on a forum? Some level of compassion for the most vulnerable amongst us and a desire to support and protect their human rights, is surely part and parcel of living in a civilised society.

None of us can influence or take credit for the country of our birth but if we are lucky enough to be born in a first world democratic country, perhaps we can afford to show a little compassion towards those dealing with fear and persecution as a result of fate dealing them a different hand. A clean safe place to sleep, decent food, appropriate clothing and access to medical support if necessary – pretty basic stuff and, with the exception of clothing, what most of us would expect for any pet never mind another human being.

And no, I don't think all asylum seekers are genuine and should be allowed to stay - just the 80 percent the government believe are genuine, according to their own statistics. Tx

I have heard this a few times on here. . And I don't really get it.. You can feel passionately about things in life and not act in them. .eg. . Do you hate child abuse? If so.. Why don't you train to be a social worker. .!? Same principle.

I have heard this a few times on here. . And I don't really get it.. You can feel passionately about things in life and not act in them. .eg. . Do you hate child abuse? If so.. Why don't you train to be a social worker. .!? Same principle.

Lots not that hard to get really. The 3 things I suggested are it that hard to do to support the cause. There are also plenty of way to support child abuse victims without training to become a social worker.