Abbot govmint Gaffe Watch

Harpodom

So ABC and SBS should be exempt from any belt tightening regardless of what everyone else has to do to address the huge budget deficit ?

If the new PM promises 'no cuts' on the eve of being elected, YES.

Otherwise he is a LIAR. Something you despise so much in a former PM, you've taken to incorporating into her name.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most if not all MP's have responsibilities to their own electorates, which at times must clash with their ministerial responsibliities, when they are in government?

Heard the phrase "we all have to share the heavy lifting"? That's what Pyne and his cronies keep telling all of us. But he's now demanding an exception for his electorate - from a decision for which he is collectively responsible. What next? University fees up...but not in my electorate. $7 GP co-payment...but not in my electorate. Someone said that he's down 15% in polling in SA. Worried more about losing his seat than the fate of the ABC in Adelaide. Well...suck it up, Princess. :wubclub:

I don't know why the ABC is so sacrosanct, that is must never be the subject of any cuts?

It's lived with many cuts over the past few years. We in regional areas know because we are the first to lose services. In Tasmania we've lost camera, news and radio staff in the last 2 years.

But there can be only so much cutting before your core business is damaged.

If the new PM promises 'no cuts' on the eve of being elected, YES.

Otherwise he is a LIAR. Something you despise so much in a former PM, you've taken to incorporating into her name.

Maybe he said it just to irk the lefties, to give them something else to write angry letters to the SMH about?

My God, I can still remember the day, out of thirteen letters condemning Tony Abbott's actions towards Putin, and only one of them mentioned Putin's (major) role in shooting down MH17 (and killing Australian citizens.) All they were annoyed about was Tony Abbott not treating Putin like a gentleman.

I like the ABC, but I don't see why neither it, nor SBS, should be exempt from any budgetary cuts.

Heard the phrase "we all have to share the heavy lifting"? That's what Pyne and his cronies keep telling all of us. But he's now demanding an exception for his electorate - from a decision for which he is collectively responsible. What next? University fees up...but not in my electorate. $7 GP co-payment...but not in my electorate. Someone said that he's down 15% in polling in SA. Worried more about losing his seat than the fate of the ABC in Adelaide. Well...suck it up, Princess. :wubclub:

It's lived with many cuts over the past few years. We in regional areas know because we are the first to lose services. In Tasmania we've lost camera, news and radio staff in the last 2 years.

But there can be only so much cutting before your core business is damaged.

Surely, you are not going to tell me that Pyne is the ever MP in the history of Australian politics who has a conflict of interest between what his government wants to do and looking after his electorate (and his seat of course.)

Perhaps you are going to tell me that the three independent MPs who voted with Julia Gillard, did it entirely out of the good in their hearts and their avowed consideration that a Labor government was in the best interests of Australia, ie. no promises, or rather guarantees of extra funding and the like in their electorates?

not only are you pushing the turd uphill, now you're polishing it for good measure

Maybe he said it just to irk the lefties, to give them something else to write angry letters to the SMH about?

My God, I can still remember the day, out of thirteen letters condemning Tony Abbott's actions towards Putin, and only one of them mentioned Putin's (major) role in shooting down MH17 (and killing Australian citizens.) All they were annoyed about was Tony Abbott not treating Putin like a gentleman.

I like the ABC, but I don't see why neither it, nor SBS, should be exempt from any budgetary cuts.

Before I moved here I used to think Australia was an egalitarian society, but Abbott and his cabinet of mediocrities show that there is a real sense of entitlement and 'born to rule' mentality among the Liberals. They believe they can say anything before an election and just ignore it afterwards. They spent their time in Opposition mounting relentless negative smear camapigns against Julia Gillard for breaking an election commitment and imposing a "Great Big Carbon Tax", and yet they now expect to get away with cuts to the ABC and SBS, cuts to health, a Great Big GP Tax and increased fuel taxes. All of which they categorically ruled out before the election. Anyone who finds this hard to stomach is branded a lefty and an Abbott hater. I'm not a betting man but I would wager that Abbott won't be PM after the next election.

Before I moved here I used to think Australia was an egalitarian society, but Abbott and his cabinet of mediocrities show that there is a real sense of entitlement and 'born to rule' mentality among the Liberals. They believe they can say anything before an election and just ignore it afterwards. They spent their time in Opposition mounting relentless negative smear camapigns against Julia Gillard for breaking an election commitment and imposing a "Great Big Carbon Tax", and yet they now expect to get away with cuts to the ABC and SBS, cuts to health, a Great Big GP Tax and increased fuel taxes. All of which they categorically ruled out before the election. Anyone who finds this hard to stomach is branded a lefty and an Abbott hater. I'm not a betting man but I would wager that Abbott won't be PM after the next election.

How would you address the budget deficit then ?

Do you care about the state of the economy which is ever worsening due to tanking iron ore prices and therefore tax receipts.

The budget deficit will get worse and worse.

Do you care ?

As if there was anything wrong with being a leftist. A reversal created by spin, when it was the right who were the devil incarnate that walked the earth. In fact the right have very much secured through control the entire landscape and will be difficult to dislodge them. All to many have disengaged from politics and that on top of the great Aussie apathy makes the going hard work indeed.

Australia has been fading as an egalitarian for a considerable period of time. The boom of the past twenty odd years has giving a lot of the old working class a sense of being middle class, purely through material gain and credit, for the time being anyway.

The election of the present lot of what were essentially slogans goes a lot to explain the rather poor state of affairs the country is in. For a PM to repeat his domestic mantra during a world meeting of leaders goes further to point the direction of parochialism inflicting this nation.

I wouldn't be sure if Abbott is in position by the next election. They will be carefully examining the state of his popularity and that of the ill named Lib's sometime before the crucial months preceding. Mediocrity is of course hardly confined to the political elite, although that is a glaring example, sadly it is all too wide spread across society as to go un noticed by many .....

We need to raise taxes and cut expenditure as the budget is in terrible shape.

I would propose broadening the base of the gst to everything, so fresh food, health cared, education etc.

You can't just bleat and bleat about every saving that is proposed.

We have a very severe problem we need solutions not bleating.

Since when was an Opposition party supposed to be 'positive' about the ruling party? Their job is to 'oppose.' Calling them 'negative' was just ALP 'spin.' Now the ALP is in Opposition, are you seriously going to tell me that they spend their time congratulating the Government on a job well done!?

The Liberal/National coalition may well lose the next election, though I doubt that polls held during a Government's term of office, unless they are complete basket cases, will necessarily hold true by the time the actual election is held. Not once the Government starts their 'negativity' campaign to remind the electorate of the consquences of bringing back the ALP too soon.

Since when was an Opposition party supposed to be 'positive' about the ruling party? Their job is to 'oppose.' Calling them 'negative' was just ALP 'spin.' Now the ALP is in Opposition, are you seriously going to tell me that they spend their time congratulating the Government on a job well done!?

The Liberal/National coalition may well lose the next election, though I doubt that polls held during a Government's term of office, unless they are complete basket cases, will necessarily hold true by the time the actual election is held. Not once the Government starts their 'negativity' campaign to remind the electorate of the consquences of bringing back the ALP too soon.

nah.

I think all too many will remember such gems as 'poor people don't drive cars', 'leaners not lifters', 'coal is good for humanity' and 'people have a right to be bigots'.

You and parley seem to underestimate the massive groundswell of antipathy towards these 'born to rule' Liebs. It was there all the time, and its building with every stupid gaffe.

We need to raise taxes and cut expenditure as the budget is in terrible shape.

I would propose broadening the base of the gst to everything, so fresh food, health cared, education etc.

You can't just bleat and bleat about every saving that is proposed.

We have a very severe problem we need solutions not bleating.

We have a severe problem in the sense the future has been mortgaged for the young, but no budget crisis. The solution would be to cut baby boomers perks in super and definitely get rid or change the housing speculation abuse brought about by ridiculous tax perks.

A government of no ideas apart from attacking the poor, vulnerable and students. A government for the wealthy and big business.

nah.

I think all too many will remember such gems as 'poor people don't drive cars', 'leaners not lifters', 'coal is good for humanity' and 'people have a right to be bigots'.

You and parley seem to underestimate the massive groundswell of antipathy towards these 'born to rule' Liebs. It was there all the time, and its building with every stupid gaffe.

The history of coal mining is the history of awful things done to humanity? Australia, large scale producer of coal though it is, is way behind the big producers - chief of whom are China and the US, and Indonesia.

Are they going to stop coal mining?

Gas and Nuclear power and hydro-electric are all proven ways to generate power, with reduced emissions but the Greens are against it.

All so much BS.

If we ended Australia's coal mining industry, we would not be able to provide enough power, even if we covered the entire country with wind farms and solar panels, as you well know.

And we are all bigots - you are a prime example on here!

We have a severe problem in the sense the future has been mortgaged for the young, but no budget crisis. The solution would be to cut baby boomers perks in super and definitely get rid or change the housing speculation abuse brought about by ridiculous tax perks.

A government of no ideas apart from attacking the poor, vulnerable and students. A government for the wealthy and big business.

Why not look at the last 60 years rather than the last 12 months? Then come back with some real and meaningful statistics. How about showing how the price of homes and shares has steadily risen over the decades, but always pretty much the same relative to wages and cost of living. Negative gearing has been around for decades too.

I am one baby boomer who does not want to see my super cut

Surely, you are not going to tell me that Pyne is the ever MP in the history of Australian politics who has a conflict of interest between what his government wants to do and looking after his electorate (and his seat of course.)

He'd be the first MP in the history of Australian politics who initiated a petition against a decision by his own Cabinet. "Cabinet solidarity" is a tradition in governments of both persuasions - you own the collective decision of Cabinet whether you personally agree or not.

He'd be the first MP in the history of Australian politics who initiated a petition against a decision by his own Cabinet. "Cabinet solidarity" is a tradition in governments of both persuasions - you own the collective decision of Cabinet whether you personally agree or not.

That's a good thing isn't it? Showing some intitiative? You'd be proud of him if he was an ALP Government minister!

The history of coal mining is the history of awful things done to humanity? Australia, large scale producer of coal though it is, is way behind the big producers - chief of whom are China and the US, and Indonesia.

Are they going to stop coal mining?

Gas and Nuclear power and hydro-electric are all proven ways to generate power, with reduced emissions but the Greens are against it.

All so much BS.

If we ended Australia's coal mining industry, we would not be able to provide enough power, even if we covered the entire country with wind farms and solar panels, as you well know.

And we are all bigots - you are a prime example on here!

solar panels are not hugely efficient, yet. but even with the technology found on many an Australian rooftop the large square below would be enough to power... the whole worlds current demand.

(small square is if panels reach 100% efficiency, impossible but there for reference)

wind farms would require much much less area, they produce much more than pv for a given area. and as an added bonus the land beneath them can still be used for farming etc.

135_area_energia_solar.jpg

135_area_energia_solar.jpg

Archived