Better quality of life or Not?!

JonandVicky

Melbourne has just been voted most liveable city in the world for something like 4 years in a row.

As well as most friendly city.

So yes I would say overall your life will be better.

There are many Australia haters on here, quoll, flag and others - so ignore them.

If Melbourne is the world's 'most liveable' city, why do I not wanna f££kin live there?

Huh?!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Melbourne has just been voted most liveable city in the world for something like 4 years in a row.

As well as most friendly city.

So yes I would say overall your life will be better.

There are many Australia haters on here, quoll, flag and others - so ignore them.

Few realists though. The two names mentioned certainly are. Afraid many others see it through a coloured prism orange glowing haze. Not least you.

If you really believe Melbourne is the world's most liveable and friendly city be my guest. Most Australians didn't think so on the 9 poll. Of course every year for the past four or so similar results are given and the same reply follows.

The poll is for business types being relocated from USA to abroad and no way is suggestive of the lifestyle of those living in those cities. For example the price of housing, medical costs, as well as things covered by the company. As such Vancouver, probably the world's most inflated housing priced city, along with Toronto, Sydney or get a look in. As per usual dominated by Anglo cities. Reality lays elsewhere. Nothing to do with migrants, but admittingly good PR.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/19/melbourne-again-tops-economists-world-most-liveable-cities-index

I know you believe everything in The Guardian harpo, so hear you go.

You must be the problem. :tongue:

The Guardian reports the result of the yearly survey and nothing more. Do you really believe Melbourne really tops world's rankings or would like to and clutch at any straw to advance your rainbow vision?

As noted this has next to nothing to do with those living there. Perth at 9? A reality check in order here.

I know that for many people, moving here hs worked out very well for them and they have been very happy here for many years and don't miss the UK a jot. It hasn't worked out so well for us, our life is fine but it's nothing to write home about. We work longer hours - our average work day from start to finish is 12 hours which to me seems ridiculous. I only get 20 days holiday and while I do get paid more, the cost of living is higher. I'm just about to return to work after my maternity leave and I must say, living on one salary in Qld has been difficult and I'd say my partner earns a fairly decent amount.

I don't think it's a bad thing to sit on it for a while until you're completely sure you can do it. It still kind of boggles my mind that people are so willing to give up a nice life with friends and family and move all the way around the world just for warmer weather. Personally, I hate the Qld summer although the winters are nice - much like a Brit summer I suppose.

Everyone's experience is different and if you really want to do it, do it - life is too short for regrets, just make sure that you leave your options open if you want to return.

Good luck with your decision! :) x

We have been mulling over moving to Australia for about 5yrs, a lot of people say we wouldn't be better off financially but our quality of life would be so much better. I worry that I'd be working every hour and my partner will be on her own with the kids with no other support. We know we would have to put ourselves out there but how willing are people, taking in new people into there community?

......this dilemma is a constant question for any one who moves.....

.......area to area.....country to country.....

........again I say consider your needs and wants......

........where gives you most.....

........but IMO it's not so much the place.....it's where your at in life....your mind set....

........some will fit in were ever they go....

.........others struggle....

.........to move away from ...."home"

.........means letting go of the safety net......leaving the support of the ..known....

.........and stepping out with sometimes nothing more than determination and hope....

.........some then cut ties.....look back through dark glasses....

..........others cling.......and their specs are rose tinted......

..........it's not about comparing countries ,cities............

..........the place won't matter if your not content with what you have......

..........each place has its merits.....it's faults.....

...........and often it's not till you live there.....experience life.....

...........and even then time changes your perceptions......your needs.....

...........too often we look for......the dream.....utopia.....

...........when in all honesty it's inside us if we're ever going to find it.....

...........so OP.......weigh up what you have........look at what you can get.....

...........go with determination......and realise.....

...........there is no answer......

............only choice.....

............choose for which you perceive to fill your needs......go with joy.......

.............and remember each and every place / experience is the book of your life.....

.............it's up to you how it will read at the end......

.............the best of luck to you and yours......tink X

melbourne worlds most liveable city...how can a city with relentless huge traffic jams, unaffordable house prices be the worlds most liveable city..I travel through melbourne airport on occasion to work and cant wait to get on that plane over to tassie away from that place..

Like others have said - whether Australia has worked out for them is a personal experience so you're unlikely to find an overwhelming response either way. I have to say that I do think I have a better quality of life in the six months we have lived in Melbourne.

Why? I lived in London with my wife and 4 year old in a two bed flat with no communal garden. I worked long hours in a stressful city job and my typical work day included leaving home at 6.30am and returning around 7.30pm. In most cases, my son would be still asleep when I left home and be in bed when I returned. My wife worked Saturdays and some Sundays in retail so most weekend i was on my own with my son which was ok during warm weather as we found activities and family to visit. During the 6 months or more of winter and autumn, it was dreadful. Staying home during the rainy days or visiting the same boring indoor play centres. No parks nearby and the one we could drive to was a no go area. All of this with the regular work emails during the weekend to take care of.

Now in Melbourne, we live in a three bed house in a gated community with a large garden and a communal swimming pool, gym and Sauna for the same rent as our 2 bed flat in London! I receive the same wage in a more junior and laid back role. I leave home at 8am with a easy drive to work. I finish at 5pm not the dot and home by 5.30. I receive an RDO every other Monday which means i have a three day weekend twice a month. No more squashed tube to ride to work - easy drive. Saturdays are a mixture of swimming, tennis and footie classes for my little one - all outdoor even during the winter months. Sunday and Monday, the wife is off so we go exploring every Sunday as a family. Every other Monday, me and the wife have a day off together which in 10 years of marriage in the UK, never happened. We are growing a group of friends through play groups and birthday parties and work. My son was automatically accepted into one of the best primary schools in Melbourne because we live within the boundary. In contrast, he was rejected for all the five schools we applied to in London before leaving.

So we are healthier (we have both lost weight), more active, better off, spending more time together as a family and couple - and i haven't mentioned holiday loading yet!

Yes, we miss family but we were well aware of that when we moved so we get on with in. A better life for my son is the important factor and so far, that's in Australia. You do have to make an effort to get out there, meet others, have people around, go to others. We have found that putting the effort in with an open mind has helped us achieve a better quality of life so far. Life is a journey - sometimes the luck of dice works but I would rather have thrown the dice that wonder what if in 20 years time.

Good luck with your journey.

Andre

Like others have said - whether Australia has worked out for them is a personal experience so you're unlikely to find an overwhelming response either way. I have to say that I do think I have a better quality of life in the six months we have lived in Melbourne.

Why? I lived in London with my wife and 4 year old in a two bed flat with no communal garden. I worked long hours in a stressful city job and my typical work day included leaving home at 6.30am and returning around 7.30pm. In most cases, my son would be still asleep when I left home and be in bed when I returned. My wife worked Saturdays and some Sundays in retail so most weekend i was on my own with my son which was ok during warm weather as we found activities and family to visit. During the 6 months or more of winter and autumn, it was dreadful. Staying home during the rainy days or visiting the same boring indoor play centres. No parks nearby and the one we could drive to was a no go area. All of this with the regular work emails during the weekend to take care of.

Now in Melbourne, we live in a three bed house in a gated community with a large garden and a communal swimming pool, gym and Sauna for the same rent as our 2 bed flat in London! I receive the same wage in a more junior and laid back role. I leave home at 8am with a easy drive to work. I finish at 5pm not the dot and home by 5.30. I receive an RDO every other Monday which means i have a three day weekend twice a month. No more squashed tube to ride to work - easy drive. Saturdays are a mixture of swimming, tennis and footie classes for my little one - all outdoor even during the winter months. Sunday and Monday, the wife is off so we go exploring every Sunday as a family. Every other Monday, me and the wife have a day off together which in 10 years of marriage in the UK, never happened. We are growing a group of friends through play groups and birthday parties and work. My son was automatically accepted into one of the best primary schools in Melbourne because we live within the boundary. In contrast, he was rejected for all the five schools we applied to in London before leaving.

So we are healthier (we have both lost weight), more active, better off, spending more time together as a family and couple - and i haven't mentioned holiday loading yet!

Yes, we miss family but we were well aware of that when we moved so we get on with in. A better life for my son is the important factor and so far, that's in Australia. You do have to make an effort to get out there, meet others, have people around, go to others. We have found that putting the effort in with an open mind has helped us achieve a better quality of life so far. Life is a journey - sometimes the luck of dice works but I would rather have thrown the dice that wonder what if in 20 years time.

Andre

That's a wonderful and positive account, Andre, which represents, statistically, the way it is for most of us 'New Chums!'

I would just say that Melbourne and Sydney are both huge and sprawling cities, with populations in excess of four million (and Brisbane not that far behind) so commuting is not always the 'superior' experience, compared to life in the UK!

It takes me up to an hour and a half to commute the fifty kilometres from Sydney to Penrith by train, the furthest I've ever commuted in my life, and I imagine a similar distance to or from Central London would be on a par with that?

I went back to work yesterday, after a six week lay-off, and had to re-aquaint myself with all the dubious pleasures of commuting, with two separate 'rat-bag' experiences.

My God, there was an unpleasant woman in the carriage from Central to Parramatta, who was taking up the whole of two 'three-person seats' playing music loudly. dirty looking feet on the seat. Eventually, this bloke sat down next to her and told her to budge. She started mouthing off at him, something about 'just being in a cell in prison', and he said, 'if you don't shut up, you'll be back there soon.' (to approving looks and thumbs up from the rest of the carriage.) I'm sure even PB, Harpo and Flag would have been disgusted by her. Well, perhaps not!

Then, just outside Penrith, a young bloke was shouting about the train supposed to be an Emu Plains service. He would not shut up, though he just mis-read the destination board at Werrington or wherever he got on.

I think I might get the Blue Mts service both ways today, as most of the 'rat-bags' and 'hoons' stay of that service.

I think it depends on skin types. I have known a young woman get skin cancer that never went into the sun and if did to play net ball for example, only did so when covered and creamed. On the other hand I am always tanned in summer never used cream and look far younger than my years. Sun gives a sense of well being and vital to good health. I prefer the tropics myself as find the humidity better for skin than the dry heat found here in Perth.

This tells you all you need to know about Flag's mindset - someone who prefers a hot and humid climate to a hot and dry one (he has clearly never lived in such tropical conditions for any length of time).

Keep stirring up the forum with your senseless tripe, Flag. Your posts become more irrelevant by the day...

Lets all move to Oz(or back there in my case)cause the coffee is s*** everywhere else!:laugh:Don't go out for coffee,make your own at home.Buy yourself a plunger and some nice ground coffee and viola!A cup of nice HOT coffee!lol I've had bad/good coffee's all over the world,some cheap,some grossly overpriced!

Seriously I think its important to anybody contemplating a move to anywhere,realise that wherever you go,no where is perfect.Everywhere has elements of positives and negatives.What annoys me sometimes (and this is'nt aimed at the OP)is people will ask your opinion,and if it does'nt fit their expectations,they don't want to hear any negatives.You have to be strong and make up your own mind.

Andre

The post above rather puts a big question mark against Flags statement Australia has the third least affordable housing in the world. That would put Melbourne quite a step behind London in the affordable stakes by the sound of it.

Glad to hear it's working out for you and the family Andre.

Archived