pr expired employer requires valid visa?

bwatt99

I have been in oz now for almost 12 months my pr visa expired in august 2013,but i only should have issues with that if i have to go overseas or need to work overseas.

I had an employer ask me today they need a valid visa as mine has expired,no other employers have asked for this,and to be honest my pr visa allows me to work and stay in australia as long as i wish.

I thought it was only an issue if i went out of australia,what should i do or what do they require.

I only came here in 1st june 2013 so i think dont qualify for a 5 yr rrv until next year.

Thanks

Well you are correct, your visa is permanent, it is the employer not understanding this properly.

Having said that, it might be worth getting a RRV anyway, you won't qualify for a five year one no, but you would get a one year one. The reason I think it might be worthwhile, is because you never know when you might have to travel unexpectedly or just fancy a trip overseas.

Sorry for jumping in with this,

But if the visa expires does that mean you cant leave Aus to visit the uk for a few weeks then return to Aus as you wont hold a valid visa to enter?

Need to get an RRV first, very easy, do it online.

Sorry for jumping in with this,

But if the visa expires does that mean you cant leave Aus to visit the uk for a few weeks then return to Aus as you wont hold a valid visa to enter?

Once you arrive, you can remain in Australia indefinitely (hence the "permanent"). However, the travel rights on the visa expire 5 year after the visa is granted. So if you leave Australia for any reason after the travel rights have expired, you need a visa to allow you to return. The appropriate visa is then the RRV (or you become a citizen so you don't need to continually get a new RRV).

If my work involves going overseas then i may not have any options but to get a rrv,on what i understand i would only get a 1yr rrv,would have been great if it was 5yr visa.So what do i tell them to be honest im surprised why i have been asked about it.

It was asked on the application online about my visa so entered the issue and expire and they contacted me to say to update it or give them a call,could not reach them on phone,but other employers have never had any issues with my visa,and im sure they would have checked to make sure they are not breaking the law.lol

So what shoudl i say they do next.

If my work involves going overseas then i may not have any options but to get a rrv,on what i understand i would only get a 1yr rrv,would have been great if it was 5yr visa.So what do i tell them to be honest im surprised why i have been asked about it.

It was asked on the application online about my visa so entered the issue and expire and they contacted me to say to update it or give them a call,could not reach them on phone,but other employers have never had any issues with my visa,and im sure they would have checked to make sure they are not breaking the law.lol

You've answered your own question! If your employer requires you to go overseas then you will not be able to get back if your visa has expired!

So the trouble seems to be you put an expiry date of next year in the box for expiry date. Maybe correct this to indefinitely or a date 100 years in the future or something if you have to pick a date.

So the trouble seems to be you put an expiry date of next year in the box for expiry date. Maybe correct this to indefinitely or a date 100 years in the future or something if you have to pick a date.

Yes you might be right there just add many yrs to expire date but I would need to check my grant letter im sure it said expired in august 2013 as that needed uploaded I will have to check out letter.

Your employer has done the right thing by asking as they have a lawful obligation to confirm the work rights of non-Australian Citizens.

Your Permanent Residency visa is indefinite as long as you are in Australia. The travel facility attached to the visa is only valid for 5 years at a time.

The simple solution is to do a VEVO printout for your employer, which will show that the visa is valid indefinitely and has full work rights.