Rent payable weekly or monthly?

drewbty

Hi guys

I'm renting my first apartment in Melbourne and wondering when is rent generally payable, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly?

Please don't say it depends... I realise it may depend. Looking for peoples personal/friends situations or someone who has a good knowledge of standard rent payable practices in Melbourne/Sydney.

Thanks

Hi guys

I'm renting my first apartment in Melbourne and wondering when is rent generally payable, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly?

Please don't say it depends... I realise it may depend. Looking for peoples personal/friends situations or someone who has a good knowledge of standard rent payable practices in Melbourne/Sydney.

Thanks

It should say on your contract. Tenants seem to pay every 2 weeks on my rentals in Melbourne which I reckon is because they get their wages that frequently.

BB

Thanks everyone. Was looking for this as a clue to how much money I might have to get scrape together for a bond and first rental installment. Possibly may need 8 weeks up front which will be tough.

It would be usual to pay a Bond of 4 weeks rent and a further 4 weeks upfront, regardless of how often rent is subsequently paid.

BB

Why would you pay 4 weeks bond a monthly installment up front if your rent was due weekly? My brother for example paid 4 weeks bond and 1 week at the start, since his rent was due weekly. This was in a big apartment complex in Sydney in the normal fashion through a letting agent. I was looking for a larger sample size than 1, which is why I was asking on here.

Why would you pay 4 weeks bond a monthly installment up front if your rent was due weekly? My brother for example paid 4 weeks bond and 1 week at the start, since his rent was due weekly. This was in a big apartment complex in Sydney in the normal fashion through a letting agent. I was looking for a larger sample size than 1, which is why I was asking on here.

Well seeing as you already know all the answers, I'm not clear why you're asking at all!

I'll repeat, it's usual to pay 4 weeks bond and 4 weeks up front. If you don't have the funds to pay this, you may find emigrating a challenge as there's going to be a lot more expenses coming!

BB

The bond here in SA at least depends on the rent. If under a certain amount it is four weeks, if over it is 6 weeks.

Ours was four weeks rent for the bond plus TWO weeks rent in advance.

Ours (also in SA) was 6 weeks plus two weeks rent in advance (must have had a more expensive rental than Blossom). We paid our rent fortnightly.

Well seeing as you already know all the answers, I'm not clear why you're asking at all!

I'll repeat, it's usual to pay 4 weeks bond and 4 weeks up front. If you don't have the funds to pay this, you may find emigrating a challenge as there's going to be a lot more expenses coming!

BB

Your first post said it should say It should show on my contract. I never mentioned any contract or that I had already signed up to rent. If I had, I would know when and what rent is due of course.

Your second post, quoted - Again you have decided to not read the post properly, or at all this time (and also I was genuinely asking how you seemed so sure of this, not being smart....).

You seemed quite certain that 4 weeks is standard payable rent up front, as well as 4 weeks for a bond I stated in my reply I had a sample size of only 1, so I was looking for other peoples experiences. Hardly someone with all the answers now is it? In fact, quite the opposite.

Also the very next person posting has now said they paid 2 weeks up front, as well as my brother paying just 1 (sample size 1 remember ;), so I'll repeat, it doesn't seem to be all that usual at all to pay 4 weeks "regardless of how often rent is subsequently paid", so why are you offering this information with such sureness?

Not everyone has 8 weeks rent to just lay down all of a sudden. I won't find emigrating a challenge, as A) I'm already in Australia and in full time employment, and obviously I can afford the rent week to week, or I couldn't rent and wouldn't be asking, and B) Having 8 weeks rent as a lump sum would be hard to lay down for most people.

If rent is paid monthly then it is very common to have to pay four weeks rent up front and four weeks bond.

I have rented a lot in WA and the rent is normally paid fornightly and it has always been two weeks rent and four weeks bond is required up front.

Obviously there will be differences, but six weeks in total worth of rent and bond combined is normally the bare minimum.

Yea, if the rent was payable monthly I'd be expecting to pay 4 and 4 up front.

Thread got side tracked, but thanks everyone for the responses. It seems if rent is weekly, you pay 1 week first, bi-weekly you pay two, and monthly you pay just over 4, which all makes sense. And then the bond of course.

Hoping the rent will be bi-weekly, as that will help me out a fair bit. I've just started a new job, so money is a bit scarce at the moment.

If you can't afford 4 weeks up front, I hope you find somewhere with less required, why don't you ring up some real estate agents and ask, instead of asking on a forum where you don't like or trust the answers you have been given?

BB

Edited by buzzy--bee

I can afford 4 weeks up front. The trouble is it may be a total of 8, including bond. Again you're not reading and leaving this part out to fit your point of view. I said money is scarce as I started a new job, so having to pay only 6 weeks up front (4 weeks bond + 2 weeks rent) would Help. 8 I would have to manage, but it would be tighter.

I could ring up estate agents and ask, but as you can see from the many replies, there is a lot of different ways it's done, so I could only ask about an individual apartment, which I haven't chosen yet. I was looking for the most likely situation I would be in when having to rent. 4 weeks bond and 4 weeks rent payable is NOT the standard practice as you stated earlier with such certainty. It's clear each apartment and letting agent/owner may be different.

I do trust the answers given, regarding what the persons posting individual situation is/was. I was looking for a guideline on the most common practice. I asked you a genuine question about your reply, as to how you knew 4 weeks rent would be payable up front with such certainty "regardless of what the rent payable period" was the words which you used, and as it turns out you didn't.

In summary, I like all the answers given but for yours, since you're giving out bad advice, which is fine on it's own, it's an information forum after all so you'll get all sorts of opinions, but when you're passing it off as factual and It's not factual, and then come across hostile and argumentative, when you're clearly in the wrong, I'm going to feel compelled to reply in kind.

PS : I clicked into your profile and looked at your last 20 posts, and now I'm not surprised with the posts you made here.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally landlords/real estate agents will believe that if you are having trouble finding money for bond and rent at the start then you may have trouble paying rent on time later on too. If you are looking to rent from someone that maybe more flexible (in terms of bond and rent upfront) then going through a real estate agent may give you trouble. Real estate agents generally have strict policies about that sort of thing. There are other places to find rental properties gumtree.com.au for example where you can find properties directly through the landlord. But that comes with other risks (e.g. there are some scammers on those types of sites). Having said that it is worth a look, just don't pay any money without inspecting the property and being sure that they are the landlord. Good luck in your search.