Where wouldn't you consider living in Australia?

starlight7

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im on the same sort of thinking as maidensarah....I think we'd go anywhere in Oz....we are willing to try anywhere, I'd like somewhere within reasonable distance to the beach and amenities, or even a man made beach would doe.....I do fear a lot of life threatening wildlife though so maybe wouldn't suit somewhere where there's a particular abundance of crocs, snakes, jellyfish etc in one location.

We'd have a good go at wherever we end up I reckon x

Yes, isolation. I moved for an adventure to explore the country and the region. Within two hours flying from Sydney, I can be in Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Tasmania and all the surrounding regions. Three hours and I am in Cairns, New Zealand and well on my way to Fiji. There are a couple of places best explored from a Perth base, but not so many. My next holiday is to Western Australia, Margaret River, Albany and Esperance.

You'll enjoy that trip pumpkin- we did the same trip a couple of years back, it was magic. Esperance especially. It is all very isolated though to live anywhere like that permanently. With Perth I always want to escape as soon as I get there, don't know why, just has an empty kind of feel about it- I feel like an alien there.

I would never consider Perth. I also don't fancy any of the regional towns, the ones that are not outback (I quite like the idea of that for a little while anyway) but say four hours from a state capital, visited a few and they don't appeal.

im totally opposite to you :) I lived in an regional town and we had a school, post office/shop and the tavern and I loved it. Lived there for a year and applying to go back on my 457. Yes it can get monotonous at times and you crave something to do but I found when I went back to Perth I enjoyed it so much more and it felt like a mini break. After living there for that amount of time, it took me a while to adjust when I came home to scotland and my town. All of a sudden there was people and traffic everywhere and all the time :)

Only thing I really missed living in the town was the cinema. At home, I would go 3-4 times a month and out there you cant really justify driving 400+kms just for a movie lol

I would consider anywhere to start with as we can always move at another time. However as a permanent area we wouldn't want to live either the outback of Darwin. With Darwin it would be the humidity and all the crocs and jellyfish :-p and the outback is to isolated for me. But we would always be happy to give somewhere a try.

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm not a city person and I love the outback. Personally I couldn't live in Melbourne again, don't get me wrong its beautiful compared to where we were in the UK but there are so many more beautiful places in Australia. There is something for everyone in Aus and that's what I love about it.

I love Cairns and Darwin but I know its not everyone's cup of tea. At the minute I think its freezing (26 degrees) yet I have family here visiting who say its too hot. Thankfully we are all different.

I'm not a city person and I love the outback. Personally I couldn't live in Melbourne again, don't get me wrong its beautiful compared to where we were in the UK but there are so many more beautiful places in Australia. There is something for everyone in Aus and that's what I love about it.

I love Cairns and Darwin but I know its not everyone's cup of tea. At the minute I think its freezing (26 degrees) yet I have family here visiting who say its too hot. Thankfully we are all different.

I can relate to that, when we were in Sydney it went to 22c one day and my friend who lives there had a jumper on. In the UK everyone is out in shorts when it hits 17c lol. I do like the warm weather. I guess you get kinda used to what it normally is and if 26 degrees is low where you live your feel colder.

I can relate to that, when we were in Sydney it went to 22c one day and my friend who lives there had a jumper on. In the UK everyone is out in shorts when it hits 17c lol. I do like the warm weather. I guess you get kinda used to what it normally is and if 26 degrees is low where you live your feel colder.

Not me, and it has to be well over 30 before I think about going the pool or ocean! I'm a wimp!

I would go back to Perth - I think it's lovely and I never feel the isolation other people feel. If we go back, it's likely to be Melbourne, which I like, but it's too like the UK for me really. If I'm that far away from the UK I want to be somewhere very different, if that makes sense. I'd like to try FNQ and I love northern WA, but that might be taking the isolation a bit too far!

I live in Melbourne and love it, however I can live anywhere because every place has people and its the people really the people that we meet and interact with that make the place for me.

Good company, money in the pocket is the key for me

It's odd the way that people dress differently during the winter here. Yesterday, I went for a walk early and I was wrapped up with pullover, jacket, hat and scarf, but I saw plenty of blokes in shorts, including two on the back of a dustcart in Cleveland St. Dustcarts stopped letting blokes travel on the back decades ago in Hampshire. Not sure what it's like in the rest of the UK?

Some of those guys in shorts have fleeces on, but you see some in T shirts and thongs (flip flops!) And of course once the sun comes up, you need your sun screen on.

It was 10 degrees at 6am in Sydney today, and -1 in Katoomba, with black ice on the roads through the mountains.

That is a real 'swag'?

What is in that blue tube near the rear wheel? All purpose, anti-crocodile, anti snake, anti spider, anti fly, anti-dingo, anti emu, anti gecko spray?

Just in case any pommy :yes:trolls come around...

Cheers, Bobj.

PS I forgot about 'anti-pigs!' I remember in Lighting Ridge seeing the size of them in a pig shooting magazine. Shouldn't you have a dog in the back of the ute? And where is the eskie of XXXX Gold?

Dog under the 4by, 120 litre esky in the tray and it actually does advertise said XXXX:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

After Lightning Ridge, I stopped at ?Hebel? just over the border, and saw some blokes loading their ute up with XXXX Gold. (Why is the mid strength beer so popular?) Also saw my first sign outside a pub telling blokes to keep their dogs chained up on the utes.

I've got a feeling that also in Hebel, I'd asked a bloke whether I should report that I thought I had hit an emu? (I saw this flock of them, and then suddenly a straggler seemed to somersault over my car, gave me a turn.) I think I was speaking to a truckie a bit later in Bell, and he told me that hitting an animal in a big 'lorry' (my word of course) is no more than swatting a fly on your arm.

Everything is so different once you get right out in the bush, past the Great Dividing Range, I mean, lizards sunbathing in the road, I remember seeing.

Wimps and wusses, the lot o' ya...:yes:

Hols2012017_zpsee31a6c8.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Hey Bob, where is the mozzie net? Remember, in your Darwin post (the one with important tips - e.g. ...do not get caught, and if you do find a good solicitor :biglaugh:) the pic had an impressive "four post" ingenious mozzie net!

Hey Bob, where is the mozzie net? Remember, in your Darwin post (the one with important tips - e.g. ...do not get caught, and if you do find a good solicitor :biglaugh:) the pic had an impressive "four post" ingenious mozzie net!

Mozzies can only go about 5oo m from any water.

Well...That's the old bushies' stories. Plus, it was still daytime and we all know that mozzies only come out in the evenings cos' it's too hot for them, don't we?

Cheers, Bobj.

A Grecian cottage I'd probably be ok with -- there is so much archeology and history in Greece I'd find something to do. Though, as we're all agreeing here, it depends very much on location and accessibility (probably cash, too :smile:)

I'm thinking my love of city life in Glasgow will make for a familiar crossover into Perth. With so much more outdoor potential thanks to the climate, I'm expecting I'll enjoy it more on those occasions where I want to trek out to quieter spots.

I am born and raised in Glasgow and Perth is quite a bit different to Glasgow Pete but it is a great place nonetheless and the climate is amazing! I'm sure you will embrace the changes.

Anywhere that you have to drive more than 30 minutes to the coast is too far in land for me now. I used to have to go to Kalgoorlie and mine sites up North when I had a job in predictive maintenance. I used to have to drive hours, sometimes on unmade roads, feeling tired, passing road trains and then you would end up somewhere like Cue. I would think why would anyone want to live somewhere like this. Even Kalgoorlie was the pits (no pun intended) for me, I couldn't wait to get the job done and get out of there.

There are some fantastic places to live in Aus but there are loads of places that, for me and the family, I wouldn't dream of living. I would rather spend a couple of years in jail than a couple of years in some of those places.

Alice Springs would be one I think. Didn't like Canberra one bit either.

Archived