For those thinking of moving back to the UK

stokie33

Living by the sea in the Paignton we never got fog! I'd forgotten about it and din't hear of any during those 11 months. We got wind in Spring this year but rugged up and walking along the beach into town was exhilarating and made me feel so alive as the air was so fresh after SE Qld. I got so much fitter too as we hardly used the car and walked every day. We went out in the car to places all over UK and met friends made through this PIO site who had only been FB friends, such fun. Getting around the UK is so easy! It always amazed us - the A roads were better than so many of the motorways around Oz. We could cross the country in a couple of hours! Also no nil tolerance speeding restrictions like in Qld!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well a holiday in UK is a lot different to living there, catching up with friends all other the country without any work pressures is bliss.

As is a holiday in Australia as opposed to living there. Or don't you have any work pressures in Australia?

Living by the sea in the Paignton we never got fog! I'd forgotten about it and din't hear of any during those 11 months. We got wind in Spring this year but rugged up and walking along the beach into town was exhilarating and made me feel so alive as the air was so fresh after SE Qld. I got so much fitter too as we hardly used the car and walked every day. We went out in the car to places all over UK and met friends made through this PIO site who had only been FB friends, such fun. Getting around the UK is so easy! It always amazed us - the A roads were better than so many of the motorways around Oz. We could cross the country in a couple of hours! Also no nil tolerance speeding restrictions like in Qld!

I find these threads fascinating as I wonder if I too will end up romanticising about the UK after a time away. Certainly the changing seasons are wonderful. Even though I live here, come July I often remember the occasional lovely autumn winter walk or cycle ride and tend to forget the long spells of dull grey weather that we have. From November through February average daily sunshine is just 2 hours and that often comes in spells of a few sunny days. The sun is essentially just a very bright light in winter anyway, low in the sky, blinding you, with no real warmth in it.

I don't know when you were driving if you did not experience traffic problems in the UK. Roads are busy most of the time and if you fancy a trip to Paignton at the weekend be prepared to spend much of that weekend in the car I say.

I agree with Marisawright's comment earlier. I plan to keep a list of reasons why I left uk and refer to it as I don't think I will trust my memory.

In answer to Greysky, yes, i pretty much guarantee you will. I'd put a wager on it. no matter how much you feel the UK has a lot of terrible things and how sunshine makes absolutely everything better (even the kind that wages a serious risk of sun cancer with even a little exposure), give yourself a few years and i bet we find you on here saying the same :)

I literally left berating the UK for it's weather (sure, winter is horrid but so is summer here) and it's miserable people (sure, although almost a decade living amongst Australians has opened my eyes to a few things) and now I realise that those things really don't matter.

I like how our aussie spring and autumn is for the most part pleasant. UK weather, like most of northern Europe, is what it is. But after a few near misses with skin cancer, constant high exposure to UV comes at a price.

and, have you seen older Australians? they look like sultanas with limbs. :)

Well a holiday in UK is a lot different to living there, catching up with friends all other the country without any work pressures is bliss.

Fizzybangs wasn't on holiday, she was living in the UK - no work pressures as she is retired :)

In answer to Greysky, yes, i pretty much guarantee you will. I'd put a wager on it. no matter how much you feel the UK has a lot of terrible things and how sunshine makes absolutely everything better (even the kind that wages a serious risk of sun cancer with even a little exposure), give yourself a few years and i bet we find you on here saying the same :)

I literally left berating the UK for it's weather (sure, winter is horrid but so is summer here) and it's miserable people (sure, although almost a decade living amongst Australians has opened my eyes to a few things) and now I realise that those things really don't matter.

I like how our aussie spring and autumn is for the most part pleasant. UK weather, like most of northern Europe, is what it is. But after a few near misses with skin cancer, constant high exposure to UV comes at a price.

and, have you seen older Australians? they look like sultanas with limbs. :)

I am not one of those subscribing to the UK is horrible view btw. Far from it.

Whilst I like heat personally I know a lot of people who don't and I have one or two friends who think the winter in the UK is their favourite season. We are all different which is just as well otherwise everyone would strive to live in the same place lol.

Always saddens me how argumentative UK people seem to be. One big reason I'm glad to be in Australia, don't miss that negative cultural trait so ingrained in the British.

That is a great line. If I disagree then I am being argumentative and by default accepting the proposition. The verbal equivalent of the witches ducking stool in the dark ages. Excellent.

Hi all,

Just want to share my opinion, even though I haven't moved to Oz yet.

People tend to look at others so often, whether it's for making decisions or not, many don't trust their own instinct anymore.

I am reading this post too, but deep down I know I won't let me guide here. It's more out of curiosity.

I learned to go with my gut, feelings that come from deep down.

Those feelings tell me I want to live in Oz for the weather, the lifestyle, nature & wildlife, etc, for this period of my life.

Nobody knows what he/she will want in 5, 10 or 20 years. We change, our interests change, accept it and act accordingly.

You might be thinking, that's easy, you haven't even moved to Oz yet. And that's true.

Right, well, lets talk in a few years then... What can I say?

I will have had time to build my new life to the fullest as I am dreaming it now. If at some point I start missing things like family too much, it might be a sign to come back.

If negative feelings supersede the positive ones, then you are maybe in the wrong place, or there could be other things going wrong in your life that influence your decision.

Either way, YOU should investigate where those feelings come from.

I honestly believe that when you live your life truly from within, there are no wrong moves.

There is no harm in having doubt, as long as you follow your own path.

Stop seeing it as a "mistake" to emigrate, or move back, it's the path of life, embrace it.

If you already think you might regret the move back to Europe, then stay right where you are, because you probably will.

I'm taking my flight soon, with open heart and no regrets, towards the life I believe suits me best.

And if I'd have to come back because I don't feel happy (after a thorough evaluation), then I will....

Hope this can help some of you out!

Take care

Chris

Oh please, do generalise some more - I'm sure we're all on the edge of our seats waiting for some more wisdom.

Always saddens me how argumentative UK people seem to be. One big reason I'm glad to be in Australia, don't miss that negative cultural trait so ingrained in the British.

must have been the type of people you attracted or possibly you were the arumentative one....never found this at all, find most brits easy to get to know unlike a lot of aussies.

Simply Don't do it, we spent 2 years on the Gold Coast and came back due to us having a little girl and my partner missing family etc.. Now we have realised we have made the biggest mistake of our lives, I can go on forever why i hate the UK so much but i suppose you have heard it all before so i won't bother, stick it out guys it will be worth it once you have settled we will be applying for RR Visa early next year and hopefully will be returning back to the goldie can't wait

:cute:

Seems people need to be reminded what the thread is about, its the op's opinion that matters. They do not need to be told they are wrong in their feelings. If you want to discuss the merits of whether a person is right or wrong do it privately the audience is not really interested.

Simply Don't do it, we spent 2 years on the Gold Coast and came back due to us having a little girl and my partner missing family etc.. Now we have realised we have made the biggest mistake of our lives, I can go on forever why i hate the UK so much but i suppose you have heard it all before so i won't bother, stick it out guys it will be worth it once you have settled we will be applying for RR Visa early next year and hopefully will be returning back to the goldie can't wait

:cute:

Thats your opinion, others will think moving back to the UK was the best thing they ever did...we are all different.

I learned to go with my gut, feelings that come from deep down.

Those feelings tell me I want to live in Oz for the weather, the lifestyle, nature & wildlife, etc, for this period of my life.

Nobody knows what he/she will want in 5, 10 or 20 years. We change, our interests change, accept it and act accordingly.

That's fine for you, because I assume you've got the financial backing to afford it. However, you'll notice that many Brits on this forum are moving to Australia with a wife and children. It will likely cost them around $50,000 to move and get set up in Australia, which may be most of their savings. If they decide they want to move home after a few years, that's another $50,000 they've lost. When you have children, that's a massive hole you've just created in your ability to give them a good future. So I think people are very sensible to try to analyse migration logically instead of just following their 'dream' - which is probably rose-coloured.

Thats your opinion, others will think moving back to the UK was the best thing they ever did...we are all different.

from a real fence sitter like myself ....it isn't the best thing I have done ( moving back ) , its been bloody hard ....but iam so bloody glad to be in my 50s , and living where iam .....as I get older , England is a far better proposition ......infrastructure , choice , things to do etc

I would hate to be in my 50s with a head full of regrets , living in some bloody backwater town ....stuck .

That's fine for you, because I assume you've got the financial backing to afford it. However, you'll notice that many Brits on this forum are moving to Australia with a wife and children. It will likely cost them around $50,000 to move and get set up in Australia, which may be most of their savings. If they decide they want to move home after a few years, that's another $50,000 they've lost. When you have children, that's a massive hole you've just created in your ability to give them a good future. So I think people are very sensible to try to analyse migration logically instead of just following their 'dream' - which is probably rose-coloured.
thats why a lot are stuck in oz and cannot afford to return.

thats why a lot are stuck in oz and cannot afford to return.

Or in the interest of balance return to the UK, regret that decision but have to live with it because they can't afford to migrate again.

I often wonder how many of the 80% that migrate to Australia and stay do actually think it was the right decision, and of the 20% that return, ditto.

From here I would guesstimate about 50% are 'living the dream', 20% are happy enough and 10% wish they could MBTTUK but can't

Of those that return 10% are 'living the dream', 5% are happy enough and 5% think it was a mistake

Excuse the use of 'living the dream' - I hate the phrase, I am using it as shorthand for 'think the place they are living is the best thing since sliced bread and moving there was the best decision they could have made'

Or in the interest of balance return to the UK, regret that decision but have to live with it because they can't afford to migrate again.

I often wonder how many of the 80% that migrate to Australia and stay do actually think it was the right decision, and of the 20% that return, ditto.

From here I would guesstimate about 50% are 'living the dream', 20% are happy enough and 10% wish they could MBTTUK but can't

Of those that return 10% are 'living the dream', 5% are happy enough and 5% think it was a mistake

Excuse the use of 'living the dream' - I hate the phrase, I am using it as shorthand for 'think the place they are living is the best thing since sliced bread and moving there was the best decision they could have made'

Far more than 20% over say 5 years, I have heard it is as high as 60% it says in the link below 33% but that is within a couple of years over 10 it is far higher.

http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/overview.jpg

Thank you for this topic :)

We moved back to the Netherlands 2.5 months ago. It felt like a mistake after a bloody week and it still does. I hate not being able to analyse myself!

When we left I thought: out lives in Holland are good, but we think we can have a better lifestyle down under. We love summer, hate 4 seasons, love nature, space and a challenge.

When we were in the airplane I was depressed already! Finally feeling I said goodbye (farewell?) to friends and family. Felt bad the first six months. Every day I was questioning where I wanted to be. After 6 months I decided to go back home, but not when. The six months after that were great. I had peace in my mind and enjoyed Australia.

then we went on holiday and saw friends again. When we left it wasn't easy, but not so hard as the first time. However my company went down the drain (bad partner) which made me feel depressed again. I wanted to go back to the Netherlands again: finally family and friends around me, easier when we are having a baby with our extended family and better work opportunities.

and as soon as we landed I feel bad again. But different than when we landed in Oz. I don't have a lot of doubt where we should be. I want to go back!! I feel miserable here. The weather sucks, it is cold, raining and windy. It's boring (for our lifestyle) and family is driving us nuts. There are two (maybe three) things that keep me from moving: finance wise I have a massive opportunity in the Netherlands, but that might take 2-3 years to deploy. My girlfriend didn't want to leave Oz, but can't leave her friends and family behind now and. I don't want to get frikking homesick again...

if it wasn't for the finances I would go back in a heartbeat. Now we'll probably make a decission the end of the year. But I hate waiting so long! I can't talk to my girlfriend about it as she wants me to try it here fiest. But I just feel so miserable :(

Archived