2nd visa granted but found out conviction

ozmaniac91

Hi peepz i need some advice about my situation because i leave in a few days!

In january 2013 i arrived in australia on my first whv everything was amazing but in june i got a call for a family issue so i had to go back to holland.

I stayed in holland and wanted to go back to oz in september so i did that.

Between june and september (the time i stayed home) i make the biggest mistake ever.

I went over to a party with a couple of friends to a festival and took some xtc pills with me because we want to party hard 1 time before i leave.

At the entrance of the festival i was caught by the police and had to go with em.

I had to wait a couple hours, had a few questions and got fined for possession 550 euros. (First offence ever)

Few weeks after i left holland for oz and ticked the box no to convictions at the arrival card because i thought its not recorded as convicted. I did my regional work and left in january this year.

I applied for my 2nd viss in march i ticked the box for convictions with no.

Now my departure date is in 7 days and i was a bit worrying so ask the police office about it and they say it is recorded!

My question is: what should i do?

Ticking the right box in the plane and explain my circumstances and want to be honnest.

Or

Leave the box blank and if asked tellthat i got fined?

Or

Do nothing and say i didnt knew a fine was disclose as a conviction?

I want to be honnest because i am s honnest person and havnt done anything wrong before.

Hope to hear something!

You've already lied on the visa application so I'd just chance it when you land and if questioned just say you didnt think a fine was a conviction? And just come clean.

Although I'm not sure drug offences go down well in any country let alone Australia. If it was assault or something then I'd be more confident for you and given the fact its pretty recent you may have a difficult time if you do get stopped.

I am surprised that anyone would advise lying to immigration. The more you lie, the more trouble you could be storing up. I would try to correct this with Immi as soon as possible, perhaps dealing through a migration agent. As long as you are taking the initiative, you could claim to be acting as soon as you realised that the fine was a conviction.

What choice has he really got in all honesty?

Telling immi is the right thing to do no question,

but he has a slim to none chance of getting the visa approved when he does, for 3 reasons, 1 for lying about it in the 1st place, 2 for being a drug related crime, 3 how recent the offence was as he will be unable to justify that he's changed his ways.

If it was me, I'd cancel the WHV and wait a couple of years and re-apply that way you can justify what happened and how you have learned by the mistakes you made and of course save urself from being banned for 3years to travel to Australia

I'd suggest you speak with a migration agent regarding the best way to approach this honestly from now on in hopes of still taking advantage of your 2nd WHV. That would include declaring the conviction on your incoming immigration card, and you can expect to be questioned about why you didn't declare it on your WHV application. I would definitely not lie any longer.

It might be to late to fix this with the immi..

Maybe tick the right box on the arrival card and say i just found out i donit want to take a risk. Havnt spend in jail and as a first offence.. its a minor drug related crime so austrslia might not be to strict?

Maybe tick the right box on the arrival card and say i just found out i donit want to take a risk. Havnt spend in jail and as a first offence.. its a minor drug related crime so austrslia might not be to strict?

What happens if you wish to work here permanently in the future? Police checks will be done and the lie will be found out.

Precarious situation you are putting yourself in. Best to tell them.

How tell them? I can tell em on my arrivsl card can't i?

I would approach a migration agent for help.

What if you are turned around and sent back? You would be interviewed a the very least when you arrive. If that risk is one you are prepared to take, then fly here and tell them about it. Otherwise, get some professional advice, after all this is just a forum.

I'm not sure any drug crime is considered as minor,

It maybe minor in Holland but different in another country.

its best you ask a migration agent, or just cancel the visa and wait a while then re-apply.

Any conviction which did not result in a prison sentence is considered minor. What they are most concerned about is honesty. I would also consult an agent.

If you get turned away on arrival then you will get a three year ban.

Yea you are right but do they send people back for a first offence

And not being a danger to the community?

What you did is hardly a major crime, but the fact you didn't declare it may be an issue.

We all make mistakes, consult an agent and approach it the way they suggest, utilise their experience. Good luck.

Yea you are right but do they send people back for a first offence

And not being a danger to the community?

The offence is not what they send people back for (well obviously sometimes it is). It is lying on the application which they are really not keen on.

Yes but i am gonna to be honnest:) gonna do my story and i think they donit cancel my visa.

Well good luck with it anyway,

Just bear in mind what other people have said though. If your visa gets cancelled at the airport you'll be banned from Australia for 3 years.

What you did is hardly a major crime, but the fact you didn't declare it may be an issue.

We all make mistakes, consult an agent and approach it the way they suggest, utilise their experience. Good luck.

Em...Mistake???? I beg to differ. The OP knew what he was doing as "he wanted to party hard one last time". If he wants sympathy he will find it between sh#t and syphillis in the dictionary.

As others have suggested think it would be wise to speak to a migration agent however it appears you do not want to do this. I would be reluctant to turn up and take my chances at the airport. If it were me and I did not want to contact an agent I would at least send a Notification of Incorrect Answers to Immigration prior to travelling and see whether they cancel your visa before you leave your home country. I certainly would not say you wanted to 'party hard once last time' though!

Em...Mistake???? I beg to differ. The OP knew what he was doing as "he wanted to party hard one last time". If he wants sympathy he will find it between sh#t and syphillis in the dictionary.

He took an illegal substance, he did not hurt anybody except himself. Yes, it was stupid, but of course it was a mistake, What else can it be classed as?

If we don't make mistakes, we can't begin to learn from them.

Right now he is asking for advice on his next step, not asking for your judgment.

He took an illegal substance, he did not hurt anybody except himself. Yes, it was stupid, but of course it was a mistake, What else can it be classed as?

If we don't make mistakes, we can't begin to learn from them.

Right now he is asking for advice on his next step, not asking for your judgment.

Mmm well his word is not necessarily to be believed is it?

Unfortunately I think you need to take responsibility for your actions, you did what you did, nobody else, now you need to be totally honest and deal with the consequences. Nobody on this forum can tell you exactly what will happen. Whether or not anyone thinks it is a big deal, it is considered a crime and the reason that immigration have rules on criminal convictions is so that they can judge who to let into the country based on their character.

In my opinion, you messed up, now don't make it worse by continuing to lie, if they don't let you in here you only have yourself to blame. Hopefully that doesn't sound too harsh, it's meant to be honest advice.

Archived