Have spoke to a migration agent

jack13

Have actually spoke to two different migration agents and have found out that a lot of the information on here has been untrue.

1. You do not need to teach two different subjects to be a teacher in oz. One will be sufficient to pass the skills assessment. As long as you have the drama degree and the PGCE in secondary you will get in and you pass the points test and skill assessment. (providing the rules don't change)

When I was advised I needed to teach two subjects I think you were thinking I was going to go for State sponsorship visa.

2. You do not go into a pool of applicants. If you pass the skill assessment and pass the points test you get a visa straight up. Providing the rules don't change.

3. You need two- three years experience for hairdressing.

Have actually spoke to two different migration agents and have found out that a lot of the information on here has been untrue.

1. You do not need to teach two different subjects to be a teacher in oz. One will be sufficient to pass the skills assessment. As long as you have the drama degree and the PGCE in secondary you will get in and you pass the points test and skill assessment. (providing the rules don't change)

When I was advised I needed to teach two subjects I think you were thinking I was going to go for State sponsorship visa.

2. You do not go into a pool of applicants. If you pass the skill assessment and pass the points test you get a visa straight up. Providing the rules don't change.

1. I've never seen it written anywhere on PIO that you need to teach 2 subjects to pass skills assessment as a teacher - one subject is enough for skills assessment purposes. What I HAVE seen though (and it's absolutely true) is that if you're a Drama teacher (or a teacher in numerous other subject areas), you need to be able to teach at least 2 subjects in order to get a JOB. In many schools, all teachers must be able to teach more than one subject.

2. The pool thing was how things used to work. Under the current SkillSelect system, if you pass the skill assessment and pass the points test, you don't 'get a visa straight off'. You submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) which is ranked on a points and time lodged basis against all other EOIs. When your EOI is ranked high enough, you get an invitation to apply for a visa if the ceiling hasn't been met for your occupation group. After you submit a visa application, your points claims and everything else you've submitted are checked and you're told to get medicals and PCCs if you haven't already submitted them. Then you get your visa if everything is in order. No 'straight off' about it.

3. Hairdressers applying for any visa that requires skills assessment need 3 years experience in order to get skills assessment - it's a TRA requirement. If a 457 sponsor is willing to sponsor a hairdresser with less experience, that will probably be accepted if everything else is in order.

I'm in Victoria, but I have friends who have been unable to register in NSW as they do not teach two subjects taught in NSW (eg I think psychology is taught in Victoria, not in NSW).

As the previous poster said you may well never get a job if you can only teach drama. Almost always see it advertised with English.

I'm in Victoria, but I have friends who have been unable to register in NSW as they do not teach two subjects taught in NSW (eg I think psychology is taught in Victoria, not in NSW).

As the previous poster said you may well never get a job if you can only teach drama. Almost always see it advertised with English.

It is really not worth informing him of the facts. A few of us are educators on here and know what we are talking about and he does not bother taking it on board.

Jack does not want to teach, he just wants the visa. However, one thing he is overlooking is that it takes commitment and effort to gain a good degree and even more so to do a PGCE (which is extremely intensive and not for the faint hearted). To do the PGCE he will also need good grades in science, maths and English - regardless of what he is going to teach.

And as someone who moved to Australia and is currently studying an undergraduate Education degree program I can confirm that it is standard to be qualified in two subject areas - pretty much all secondary education programs are either dual degrees (BA or BSc with BEd) and you major in two areas within the former or you have a single degree (BEd) with everything in a mishmash.

I'm doing the former. You can't pass the degree without two subject areas. It's a requirement. Because that's what schools want, at least in Qld but I'm sure others here will be able to clarify that it's the same through most of Australia.

That's the long and short of it.

I don't know about Points 1 and 3. However as far as Point 2 is concerned, then you have been mislead. Under skills select, having positive skill assessment and 60 points is not enough. You need to receive invitation before you can lodge a visa application. That's for sure.

It is really not worth informing him of the facts. A few of us are educators on here and know what we are talking about and he does not bother taking it on board.

Jack does not want to teach, he just wants the visa. However, one thing he is overlooking is that it takes commitment and effort to gain a good degree and even more so to do a PGCE (which is extremely intensive and not for the faint hearted). To do the PGCE he will also need good grades in science, maths and English - regardless of what he is going to teach.

Seems to me that the opposite is sadly the case in Australia and there's too many GDipEds, IMO. Lots of people taking the light-footed way around the system to get into teaching because they spent time and money on a degree without prospects so they turn to the GDipEd hoping that it'll have something in store for them which is wrong, I feel. In many cases they're not even passionate or invested in teaching. It's just for the money. That may be a minority but it seems to be an increasingly popular trend!

Even so, doing a PGCE just to get a visa and then having to go through all the stuffing around of having to convert your qualifications is a lot of time/effort and money.

I think requirements of entrance to pre-service programs for teachers in Australia needs to be seriously toughened up regardless of whether you're training as an undergrad or postgrad here, or moving from overseas and wanting a visa to continue or start work as a teacher. Let's get some portfolios, entrance interviews, required levels of proficiency in particular subject areas, demonstration of interest through things like volunteer work etc. What did I hear on the radio the other day about a possible 6-week intensive teaching qualification?! Good grief that'll send our schools down the hole faster than you can say "but...!" Anyone can get into teaching these days it seems. And I can promise you now it is N-O-T easy. People seem to have this horrible misconception that teaching is easy and that it "comes naturally", no, you can entertain and captivate a group of kids but does that mean you can teach them? Heck no! I've never been mentally and physically challenged so much in my short life! It's an endurance test. I've already had friends drop out after only a year!

Don't fancy my chances at getting anywhere fast on a career path on the other side with the rate that the GDipEd and whatever other new fast track schemes the gov't may be cooking up can spit out another hundred-or-so fresh teachers per week who are underqualified and mostly uninterested in the job for anything other than the dollar.

Slightly off-topic. Rant over!!

I guess it's up to the individual posters if they want to reply or not, if Jack chooses not to take the advice, other people may find it useful. You could place him on ignore or just not reply to his threads if his posts are getting to you.

I guess a reminder for all members is to refrain from personal attacks towards the poster.

Seems to me that the opposite is sadly the case in Australia and there's too many GDipEds, IMO. Lots of people taking the light-footed way around the system to get into teaching because they spent time and money on a degree without prospects so they turn to the GDipEd hoping that it'll have something in store for them which is wrong, I feel. In many cases they're not even passionate or invested in teaching. It's just for the money. That may be a minority but it seems to be an increasingly popular trend!

Even so, doing a PGCE just to get a visa and then having to go through all the stuffing around of having to convert your qualifications is a lot of time/effort and money.

I think requirements of entrance to pre-service programs for teachers in Australia needs to be seriously toughened up regardless of whether you're training as an undergrad or postgrad here, or moving from overseas and wanting a visa to continue or start work as a teacher. Let's get some portfolios, entrance interviews, required levels of proficiency in particular subject areas, demonstration of interest through things like volunteer work etc. What did I hear on the radio the other day about a possible 6-week intensive teaching qualification?! Good grief that'll send our schools down the hole faster than you can say "but...!" Anyone can get into teaching these days it seems. And I can promise you now it is N-O-T easy. People seem to have this horrible misconception that teaching is easy and that it "comes naturally", no, you can entertain and captivate a group of kids but does that mean you can teach them? Heck no! I've never been mentally and physically challenged so much in my short life! It's an endurance test. I've already had friends drop out after only a year!

Don't fancy my chances at getting anywhere fast on a career path on the other side with the rate that the GDipEd and whatever other new fast track schemes the gov't may be cooking up can spit out another hundred-or-so fresh teachers per week who are underqualified and mostly uninterested in the job for anything other than the dollar.

Slightly off-topic. Rant over!!

The Grad Dip is being phased out across Australia and being replaced with the two year Master of Teaching/Education. It is for graduates who already have a degree. It has been recognised that the one year Grad Dip is too intensive and simply does not give enough teaching experience in the classroom. It will soon be the standard and applicants from overseas with just a one year PGCE may well find themselves disadvantaged. This is not the case yet, but give it a few years and it will be.

Also, the one year internship is quickly gaining popularity in WA, as it gives four year education students a real chance to learn in the classroom throughout the whole year.

The 'Teach for Australia' scheme ( 6 weeks intensive training) is ridiculous. The premise is that 'top' grads are put on a fast track to teach in low socio schools simply because they have a good degree. The scheme will not last and has been a failure in other countries. It is doing a disservice to our children...

By the time Jack finishes (if he starts) his drama degree and PGCE, Australia will have changed the goal posts.

I guess it's up to the individual posters if they want to reply or not, if Jack chooses not to take the advice, other people may find it useful. You could place him on ignore or just not reply to his threads if his posts are getting to you.

I guess a reminder for all members is to refrain from personal attacks towards the poster.

My post was not a personal attack. He has clearly stated in his posts he does not want to teach. I give up.

My post was not a personal attack. He has clearly stated in his posts he does not want to teach. I give up.

I know it wasn't a personal attack (if it had been I'd have removed it), but I took the opportunity to give a general warning rather than make a 2nd post

Archived