View of Americans -- from a newcomer

Guest Rummy

Guest Rummy

Hi guys,

As a recent newcomer from America, it was interesting for me to see what the people in Australia think of America and the Americans... just wanted to share some notes from my diaries...

...Despire the political cooperation between Australia and the USA, a visitor should expect a variety of views of Americans, with some Australians expressing a moderately negative sentiment towards the USA. Some Australians express concern that a large fraction of the US’s economy is geared towards national security and military, whereas other social problems, such as homelessness, are not adequately tackled. Others have a negative view of the country’s medical system, citing the fact that access to health care is limited by the amount of money a person is willing to pay. In addition, others challenge the notion of America’s exceptionalism, and that every American has the option of succeeding in life, given the fact that access to education, and thus work opportunities, is also limited to people with high financial status to start with...

Hi guys,

As a recent newcomer from America, it was interesting for me to see what the people in Australia think of America and the Americans... just wanted to share some notes from my diaries...

...Despire the political cooperation between Australia and the USA, a visitor should expect a variety of views of Americans, with some Australians expressing a moderately negative sentiment towards the USA. Some Australians express concern that a large fraction of the US’s economy is geared towards national security and military, whereas other social problems, such as homelessness, are not adequately tackled. Others have a negative view of the country’s medical system, citing the fact that access to health care is limited by the amount of money a person is willing to pay. In addition, others challenge the notion of America’s exceptionalism, and that every American has the option of succeeding in life, given the fact that access to education, and thus work opportunities, is also limited to people with high financial status to start with...

So I am just interested "what is your point". My daughter's partner has American/Australian citizenship and an American accent and he has never experienced anything derogatory from the different views. I also agree with what you say we do like a more "social experience" of life here and hence the despair with the new government we have. Australians do not think the trickle down effect which America seems to rely on works.

Hi guys,

Yep, sounds about right to me, did you expect everyone to love you and thank you for being an American?

Don't get me wrong - I've enjoyed visiting the states a number of times but its far from perfect, for the reasons you list above among others. I also find it amusing/galling when Americans automatically assume the USA is the greatest nation on earth, usually when they haven't visited any or many of the others, although I do understand that this is indoctrination.

On a recent business trip to San Francisco I was shocked at the level of abject poverty and desperation of its massive homeless population, I saw elderly people hardly clothed shivering in freezing temperatures begging on the streets of the financial district while high paid bank workers brushed by. Meanwhile the financial elite enjoy obscene incomes and the corporations and the military industrial complex have the government in their pocket.

So, welcome to Australia, open your eyes and you just might see a freer, better educated, wealthier, healthier, happier more equal and safer society than the one you're used to, if you're lucky we might even give you a visa but we will always give you a fair go.

On a positive note the Americans I have met have been very friendly and have very good manners- not all Europeans and Australians are like that!

Ohhhh there are some shocking Americans out there too. I remember hearing one girl complaining about something in Egypt. It was a simple case of language barrier. She was ranting on about 'well in America we do it like this....' She came over to me afterwards I think expecting me to be sympathetic with her. It had all been her fault.

That's just one example. But there are lots of GREAT Americans too. It seems to be the inbetween the two which is missing.

Even within a country there are different views.

In America, Republican vs Democrat etc.

In Australia Liberal vs Labor.

The thing that surprises me is the difficulty Obama has had in getting his legislative agenda approved. Things like Obamacare etc.

He seems to not be as powerful as we think he is.

Hi guys,

I am not sure what you actually meant to say with this piece. AFAICS it is a short list containing some pretty accurate observations, but nothing to explain what an Australian view of an American actually might be?

On the one hand, I like the USA, have been there and have some distant relatives there. They are generally speaking very friendly,helpful and open minded towards me as a tourist. The people are cool and nice but crunch time for me is the American social system and gun laws or better absence of it.

What I don't like about the US is the absence of a public health care system like here which leads to a unbearable social exclusions from basic support and care needs. The 'land of the free' is a myth for the sick and unemployed. I know that one of my relatives had 2 jobs which seems to be normal to afford a medium living standard. The average wages were never that good. What I really hate are the gun laws. All these guys with mental health issues running around like wild shoot innocent people dead.

I would never feel safe in the States like I do here in the 'Lucky country'.

Hi guys,

Absolutely... and the above reasons are also how many AMERICANS see the US right now, my husband and myself included. That's why we got as far away as possible! :P America has a long way to go in taking care of its sick and its poor, enforcing separation of church and state, and getting rid of gun violence before hubby and I would consider moving back (and frankly, we love Aus, so I don't see it happening then, either!).

I've met a few Americans here and the UK and have found them to be pretty nice people. Specially one girl I met on holiday in Spain years ago.:wink:

One thing though, just about every one has been over confident and full of themselves, which had helped many of them get where they had in business. When they were put to the test though a lot of them were pretty good at bulshitting and pretty light on when it came to delivery.

Guess that's where the stereotypes come in. I've been on a few "management" courses run by Americans, they seem good at that sort of thing and everyone one of them loves to take you "out of your comfort zone" as they call it. Which usually meant staying till late at night when the course was supposed to finish at 5:00pm and trying to cause arguments between people.

You are unlikely to come across the same political critique of America for starters. Aussies as a rule don't do politics in the way remotely akin to Europeans and even some British. I've witnessed Americans stunned in an almost state of shock at the attacks on American policy abroad.

Australians are basically aware of the social injustice, all to apparent in that country, but hardly the true nature and the massive numbers impacted. There is a broad agreement among progressives that we don't want to go down that path, sadly one the present government in place appears to want to take us.

I have my own personal views of Americans, which I find in contrast to Australians far more revealing in getting to know them on personal issues, easier to engage with but far more into mind games as well. I'd say just as easy come/easy go, verging somewhat on the shallow side of the pool, naïve unless well travelled, but far more open than Australians tend to be as well.

Americans have/had a rather high return rate as well. I get the feeling they find aspects of Australian living difficult to come to terms with. Considering the population was always amazed so few Americans moved to Australia.

Most Ozzies I have met love America and basically want to be American. Many go there on holiday or want to more than most other places, especially the younger ones, kids here also speak with American accents etc...

I read though there are more incidents with firearms here in Oz (per capita) than in the states, not sure if its true but I definitely read it in a news paper

I dont mind the Yanks, they have a better sense of humour than the Ozzies, a bit quicker of the draw if you get what I'm saying

Yes most Americans do return to the states, they, like us Brits find it boring and why would you stay here if you can go to the states, Americans dont have to suffer bad weather, they can move down to Florida etc..

The Brits move to Oz as its easier to get into and has better weather. Lets face it, most of us would be in the states if it was the easier of the 2.

Most Ozzies I have met love America and basically want to be American. Many go there on holiday or want to more than most other places, especially the younger ones, kids here also speak with American accents etc...

I read though there are more incidents with firearms here in Oz (per capita) than in the states, not sure if its true but I definitely read it in a news paper

I dont mind the Yanks, they have a better sense of humour than the Ozzies, a bit quicker of the draw if you get what I'm saying

Yes most Americans do return to the states, they, like us Brits find it boring and why would you stay here if you can go to the states, Americans dont have to suffer bad weather, they can move down to Florida etc..

The Brits move to Oz as its easier to get into and has better weather. Lets face it, most of us would be in the states if it was the easier of the 2.

Speak for yourself dusty. I would much rather live here. Reminds me of what California looked like in the days of the black and white batman series. I liked the looks of California in those days but not so much now.

what a load of complete bullshit

I'll offer you my stereotypes as a Brit if you like:

If there is an American around you will be sure to hear them and their opinions.

The humo(u)r is a little too in your face and often not funny.

You guys have such great manners that if you were British we would think it was sarcasm.

You lot have no social conscience and seem to act like everyone has the same opportunities in life (The American dream) which is total rubbish.

Saying that I love the states and love watching the NFL :smile: just wouldn't want to live there.

no,it's complete bullshit like most of the other stuff you espouse.

Sorry dusty, I've never met an Aussie who wanted to be an American. Sounds weird for me.

The funniest story I've ever came across with American knowledge with European culture happened in Paris. I'll never forget this and I'll tell you because it's so typical for Americans (I'm mean and stereotyping now).

On a boat trip on the river Seine a group of excited American tourists and hubby and me on our last trip before we've flown out to Adelaide in 2011. One chap of this in their mid30/40 group pointed towards a very old railway station during that beautiful night trip and mentioned with utter conviction: "Here comes the Louvre!"

Archived