Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Has anyone traveled from Melbourne to Tasmania with the overnight ferry?

We was thinking about it for when we come over and then drive down through Tassie.

I'm a bit concerned that we won't get all our luggage on the flight from Melbourne to Hobart as they are low cost flights so thought the ferry might be an alternative. Have to maybe hire or buy a car in Melbourne.

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Guest Colin R

Hi Em,

I havent traveled on the Spirit from Melbourne but Colin has and he says the overnight is pretty good. Cars are cheaper buying them in Melbourne we bought one of ours from there and it came over on the ferry. We had to get it registered over here and it needed to be checked over to get the rego

Sally

Guest the terry's

Hi Emma, We're catching the overnight ferry next march and have booked two cabins as aposed to sleeping on the loungers, so can't comment on what it's like, but will let you know when we get back from our reccie. Have you looked on the ferry's website it will give you the charges etc. Baggage allowance is 30kg to Hobart because it's classed as an internal flight. Hope this helps a bit.

Helenx

The luggage allowance on flights seems to vary from 20kg with Jetstar and Virgin Blue to up to 30kg with Quantas. Bit confused though as Quantas seem to flight share with Jetstar so not really sure what the baggage allowance is then!!

We e-mailed the ferry and got a quote for 4 berth cabin with a car @ $753.00.

Sally when you brought your car in Melbourne did you drive it back to Tassie on the ferry. Do you know what the costs are for getting it registered?

Thought it might be nice to see a bit of Melbourne and Tassie on the way over but really all depends on when we get the visas. Would like to be there for when the schools go back in February.

Emma:v_SPIN:

Guest Colin R

The car had to have a pre registration inspection and it was between $25 to $50 . You can drive the car around on Victorian number plates until the rego runs out. It then needs the inspection, and you have to pay transfer fee which is a % cost of the vehicle, stamp duty. This has to be paid if you buy the car in Tassie or anywhere else . Some new cars and second hand dealerships over here offer drive away price which includes all the on road costs.

Colin drove the car back via the ferry he said it wasnt too bad at all. I think that it is a 12 hour crossing gets a bit rough out in the sea sometimes. It takes about 3 hours from Devonport to Hobart .

Guest Colin R

Hi Deborah , Do you mean a WRX. and what year are you thinking of our son is just about to buy a WRX he loves them !! He spends most of his waking life looking at cars and eats drinks and sleeps them too.

Sally

Guest Guest9973
I was originally thinking of relocating to Adelaide but I would miss rain!!

I also don't like hot summers.

Tasmainia appears to fit the bill as we currently live in the peak district and we have awsome views. I like the fact of snow capped mountians too.

My only concern is jobs cos I can't seem to find many engineering and allied health jobs (maybe I am not looking in right place)

I have done all my research on Adelaide and now looks like i am having to start again.

Was granted my 175 visa last month and i have until May 20th 09 to validate.

Ya Traitor!!!!

........Kidding:wink:

How are you??

Looks like you are right,we do have long,hot,dry summers here in SA so further afield may be the way to go.

Best wishes on your journey there!!!

Ya Traitor!!!!

........Kidding:wink:

How are you??

Looks like you are right,we do have long,hot,dry summers here in SA so further afield may be the way to go.

Best wishes on your journey there!!!

Hey Tyke,

big brother is watching me!!

Haven't made my mind up yet!!

P in A is putting me off with all the talk of not getting long term rentals etc.

You can come and visit me in Tas when you get fed up of the heat!

Have you checked if I have been on the Victoria forum cos I was thinking of there too!!

Still may come to Adelaide yet but I have had some potential job offers in Tas.

Will still post on PIA although I tried to post one recently about my feelings for Tas and it didn't get shown!!

Debs

:cute:

Hi Deborah , Do you mean a WRX. and what year are you thinking of our son is just about to buy a WRX he loves them !! He spends most of his waking life looking at cars and eats drinks and sleeps them too.

Sally

Not a WRX but the sport 2.0.

Probably year 2004 plus as these models have the aircon.

Love this car but couldn't afford the insurance on a WRX.

Debs

:laugh:

Guest Colin R

Our son has been quoted $2000 for insurance fully comp and he is 18!!!Insurance isnt quite as bad as in the UK There is a 2.0 Impre R awd hatchback 2008 up for sale at the momenywith a/c $20,500 & RS awd demostrator2008 $32990

Guest kate.upsall@googlemail.co

We are hoping to emigrate to Tasmania next year .Currently going through the visa process .We have booked flights for a visit in February to check out work, schools ect.Can anyone tell me the best areas for my husband to find bricklaying work,and the best areas for schools [My children aged 8 and 11]We only have 2 weeks in february to look around so any suggestions of where we may start would be really helpful

We are hoping to emigrate to Tasmania next year .Currently going through the visa process .We have booked flights for a visit in February to check out work, schools ect.Can anyone tell me the best areas for my husband to find bricklaying work,and the best areas for schools [My children aged 8 and 11]We only have 2 weeks in february to look around so any suggestions of where we may start would be really helpful

Hi Kate and welcome,

We are validating our 175 visa next April and hoping to give Tassie a go. All depends on work though cos if there isn't any we will have to move to the mainland,

Who are you flying with? We haven't booked pur flights yet, we should get a move on.

We have 2 children and hoping for a better life for them (and us).

Debs

Guest kate.upsall@googlemail.co

We have booked with Quantas 1200£ We, are stopping a few times want to just check out Perth aswell but really want to go to Tas just feel it would really suit our lifestyle [ihave two boys who love fishing camping outdoor stuff!] and from stuff I have researched its sounds a perfect place.Just concerned about the work prospects.Lovely to hear from someone who is going through the same.Kate

Hi Kate,

We hope to be in Tassie Feb/Mar next year once we get our visa. OH is a carpenter and have 2 children 7 & 11. We are hoping to settle somewhere between Kingston and Snug. I have been in contact with Kingston, Margate and Snug primary schools and they all were very helpful and welcoming.

OH has been told that there is work around Hobart and we are trying to stay with 45 minutes of Hobart. Work availablility is our biggest concern but have heard that trades are still in demand.

Emma

:v_SPIN:

yes it is great to talk to all of you who are going through a similar process. Seems to be a common anxiety re jobs though which is a real shame.

We were originally looking at Adelaide and still may have to if we don't get jobs.

I really hope that Tas works out for us as I feel tha *** is the right place for us.

Hope to meet you guys some day when we are all settled.

Kate were you thinking of Hobart?

Has anyone considered Launceston? looks very nice there too although smaller.

Debs

Thank you Debs.

We have to validate by October next year but hope to get there in February. Lots to do now!

Emma

Yes same here,

we are about to book our flight. Somebody has told me about a website called moving planet who have a deal with Emirates in that you can get 50kg baggage allowance if you have a permanent residents visa and are validating it!!

I tried to get on the website but you need a pin number.

Although the same person said that often the flights are dearer.

Singapore and qantas allow extra baggage for the same reason but qantas stated that the flights are dearer with extra allowance so it could be swings and roundabouts.

Also qantas and emirates carry you all the way to hobart whereas singapore don't.

Can't remember if you said you had booked your flights (I get confused who I have spoken to!!)

:unsure:

Archived