Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

Great, thanks Emma. We've driven through most of the areas you mention (and took a walk down to Snug Falls) whilst we were there and I know they're really nice.

Good to hear about the broadband etc too.

...and even better to hear that you're loving it!

Tim

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
Guest JamieandMel

you guys are so lucky being in Tas already, 6 weeks tomorrow we arrive, can't wait. We have even got our first lot of visitors booked for november. typical move to the over side of the world and they decide to go on holiday there!

Guest Guest 47403
you guys are so lucky being in Tas already, 6 weeks tomorrow we arrive, can't wait. We have even got our first lot of visitors booked for november. typical move to the over side of the world and they decide to go on holiday there!

Good luck with your move, Tas is somewhere that really appeals to us it's purely the job situation for me that puts it on a back burner so to speak.

6 weeks? Nice one!

We should be out there at the very beginning of November so not long after you...

How exciting! :biggrin:

• 3 months later...
Guest WAintheUK

Hi,

My boyfriend is earning 30% of his original wage in Tas than he had in WA! I have lived in Tasmania for a year, originally from Penzance, Cornwall and I moved there to be reminded of where I come from....turns out I just want to go back.

Yes the weather is slightly better than the U.k's, in Devonport anyway. Have had some lovely hot sunny days and also some rainy ones!

The weather board homes are cheap, but freezing if you have no sun rooms, so you need to buy wood or use more power for heating nearly everyday of the year! The electric meters are so expensive, we burn $50 per week!

The jobs in Devonport are few and far between, it took me 3 months to find work. If you want to work in the retail or hospitality industries there is a great demand for juniors, as they are much cheaper to pay and do the same job. Hobart is where most people live and work, but it is not as beautiful as the rest of the state. Also in some of the smaller towns the people are very "clicky" and I found it difficult to "get in" with them.

It depends what you want out of life, if you want the quiet life and be in an old fashioned living place then Tassie is ideal, but if not a 2 week road trip around Tasmania is adequate!!

Bec

Guest SunshineSmile
Hi,

My boyfriend is earning 30% of his original wage in Tas than he had in WA! I have lived in Tasmania for a year, originally from Penzance, Cornwall and I moved there to be reminded of where I come from....turns out I just want to go back.

Yes the weather is slightly better than the U.k's, in Devonport anyway. Have had some lovely hot sunny days and also some rainy ones!

The weather board homes are cheap, but freezing if you have no sun rooms, so you need to buy wood or use more power for heating nearly everyday of the year! The electric meters are so expensive, we burn $50 per week!

The jobs in Devonport are few and far between, it took me 3 months to find work. If you want to work in the retail or hospitality industries there is a great demand for juniors, as they are much cheaper to pay and do the same job. Hobart is where most people live and work, but it is not as beautiful as the rest of the state. Also in some of the smaller towns the people are very "clicky" and I found it difficult to "get in" with them.

It depends what you want out of life, if you want the quiet life and be in an old fashioned living place then Tassie is ideal, but if not a 2 week road trip around Tasmania is adequate!!

Bec

Hi Bec, Im living down in Hobart and we have been here 9 months, soon to be relocating to Sydney :jiggy:

Reasons? Everything you listed and more.

Beautiful place to visit.... Just not to live, least not for me anyway (my family hate it here) I have enjoyed my time here, but its time to move on.

Im feeling a little "its not just me then" after reading your post :biggrin:

Hope your doing OK up in Devonport, I actually havent been that far up but everyone I speak to echoes what you said, that its more beaytiful, but remote.

:hug:

Some good points there and I suppose ultimately not everyone looks for the same things in where they live. Just a few points that spring to mind after reading though:

My wife's salary is appreciably better in Hobart than in was in the UK. It looks like mine will be too when I get a job. Admittedly we were in Cornwall and that probably has the lowest salaries in England.

I don't find Hobart to be quiet or old-fashioned. Again, we're from Cornwall so "quiet" means something different to me than someone from London say.

We both think that Hobart and surrounds in amazingly beautiful. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder but we're regularly treated to "wow" moments.

The weather is considerably better so far. This is spring/early summer and better already than any UK summer I can remember. Not perfect weather but regular warm sunny days.

I agree that there's a wide range of housing standards. From what I can see though most of the newer (non-weatherboard) houses look very good. I suppose as always it's a balancing act between location, house quality and other factors when looking at somewhere to live.

I suppose we're lucky really in that we're in a very nice area right by the river. I know there are less pleasant areas around so maybe if we lived in one of those I'd think differently.

Shame that you're leaving and good luck in Sydney. I suppose that's the point in a nutshell, I wouldn't want to live in Sydney for all the reasons why I like Tasmania. Sydney for me would be a place to visit and not to live so as you say, it depends on what you want.

Good luck with your move.

We lived in South East London and Tassie is very different but we like that. It used to take Paul at least 1 1/2 hours to drive to work each way every day into London. Now it's a 20 minute drive at most. Our quality of life has improved considerably.

Yes the houses are colder - and we do miss central heating and double glazing but I do feel that's a small price to pay for what we have.

There is always things going on whether it's a show or event and I think Tassie is beautiful and the people are very friendly.

I think Oz is very diverse so there should be somewhere for everyone. Good luck with your move.

:v_SPIN:

We both think that Hobart and surrounds in amazingly beautiful. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder but we're regularly treated to "wow" moments.

I can understand why some people find the northwest coast more beautiful. Because it has 2 - 3 times the rainfall of Hobart and its red alluvial soil is much richer and deeper than the soil around Hobart the area has been intensively cultivated and has the green, rolling, cultivated countryside more similar to the UK. Whereas Hobart is on the edge of wilderness and the natural bushland can seem quite foreign and intimidating to those who are not used to it - or sparse and bare in the lower rainfall areas. The northwest coast does have wilderness too but you have to travel further inland away from the coast before you reach it.

The weather is considerably better so far. This is spring/early summer and better already than any UK summer I can remember. Not perfect weather but regular warm sunny days.

I was going to apologise for the weather in the last month or so! The temperatures are about average but we don't usually get this cloud hanging around - it is usually much sunnier at this time of year.:biggrin:

I agree that there's a wide range of housing standards. From what I can see though most of the newer (non-weatherboard) houses look very good.

Probably most of the weatherboard homes are the product of the post WW2 era - a huge migration from Europe, returned servicemen settling down and producing their little baby boomers, not much money and a shortage of materials: so timber was cheaper, quicker and available - and much easier for owner-builders to use in constructing their own homes.

I wouldn't want to live in Sydney for all the reasons why I like Tasmania. Sydney for me would be a place to visit and not to live

I'm with you on this one - having lived and worked in Sydney. Great place for a visit. But not so great living with the 4 and a half million others also living there! :rolleyes:

Archived