Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

Guest sarahaso

Hi

we are moving to Hobart after 2 years in Melbourne. Are there any other mums in Hobart who are keen to meet up. I am leaving a great UK playgroup in Melbourne and would love to set up the same thing there....with mums and dads nights out, babysitting circle etc

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
Hi

we are moving to Hobart after 2 years in Melbourne. Are there any other mums in Hobart who are keen to meet up. I am leaving a great UK playgroup in Melbourne and would love to set up the same thing there....with mums and dads nights out, babysitting circle etc

Welcome to PIO Sara:wubclub: I couldnt tell you about English Playgroups, there are certainly Australian Playgroups, and Ems&Paul who live in Hobart would be qualified to discuss these further with you. Ems lives in Hobart and is a Playleader I believe.

I hope you will be very happy in Tasmania it is a great unique state. Skani & HappyLass are regular contributors to this site I am sure they will give you any hints & tips along the way.

Very best wishes Susie:wubclub:

Guest siamsusie
Skani, thank you so much for proving that link to Choice. The UK has a similar magazine called "Which?" and I was wondering if there was something like that here.

We had a similar situation with ADSL 2 on this side of the river and have only just got it here. I hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your ADSL. :hug:

HappyLass you make a very good point regarding ADSL... I was actually surprised to see that Skani has had problems, you wouldnt think that being in Hobart .....

As you know we have had to resort to a Dongle and it has cost an arm and a leg... We recently obtained a Government Grant for Satellite which costs us $22 pm for the first year and double after that to $44, and we find it excellent.

To be frank we took it for granted when we arrived in Tasmania that there would be an excellent service:eek:... mobile coverage is hit and miss where we are.... I have learnt not to rely on it... the postal service is good though:biggrin: love Susie x

Hi

Sarahaso - I've not heard of any UK playgroups but there are plenty of playgroups about. Where abouts are you moving to and I might know one in that area? Have a look at www.playgroupaustralia.com.au/tas/ and you should find one local to where you are. How old are your kids?

Hope this is helpful. I have found the mums over here very friendly.

Jogreen - Margate is lovely. I work at a playschool/playcentre there and all the mum's live round the area and they love it. I'm sure you're house will be great.

Emma:v_SPIN:

Guest sarahaso

Hi Em- we will be in Hobart but thinking of living in kingston or blackmans bay- or even mount nelson but open to suggestions?!

• 1 month later...
Guest jogreen

we fly on a week today!!!!!!!!!!!! as you know bit of a crazy time, sure it will all be worth it, thanks for all your advice has been really helpful!

If anyone has a baby/toddler group around Margate/Kingston they can reccomend , I would be happy to hear x

Emma will probably respond at some point as she works in child care in the Margate area. But this link may also be useful -

How do I find my nearest Playgroup?

Also, you mentioned in an earlier post that your partner would be a stay-at-home dad initially. I know that there has been a playgroup specifically for fathers with little ones and he may also be interested in that as a means of meeting other blokes. I'm sure the Playgroup link above will be able to give you more information.

Hi

jogreen and sarahaso - there is a playgroup in Margate that runs term time and if you would like details please let me know and I'll PM you contact details. One of my pre-schoolers mums runs it.

Debs will know about the dad's playgroup that is up in Hobart.

Good luck with the flight and travelling. Very exciting.

Emma

Guest jogreen
Hi

jogreen and sarahaso - there is a playgroup in Margate that runs term time and if you would like details please let me know and I'll PM you contact details. One of my pre-schoolers mums runs it.

Debs will know about the dad's playgroup that is up in Hobart.

Good luck with the flight and travelling. Very exciting.

Emma

Hi thanks would love to know when/where playgroup in margate is, hopefully not when I am working!

Hi

Us British Mums regularly meet up on an informal basis especially at Kingston or Black mans bay beach.

Loads of us around Kingborough area which is great.

Debs

we fly on a week today!!!!!!!!!!!! as you know bit of a crazy time, sure it will all be worth it, thanks for all your advice has been really helpful!

If anyone has a baby/toddler group around Margate/Kingston they can reccomend , I would be happy to hear x

Can't wait to hear how you get on, I remember it so clearly all the excitement.

Sure Emma and I can help you out.

Debs:

Guest siamsusie

Welcome to Tasmania Jo, have a great flight and many good wishes for "the good life" here in beautiful Tasmania

Susie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys , thanks for all the good luck messages, arrived safely- all very exhausting, 21/2 yr old and 7 mth old baby, never mind my husband to entertain!!

been here 5 days and loving it so far, no regrets, saw our new house in Margate for the first time today, amazing,actually looking forward to starting work! Even bought a shetland pony for my daughter today, I know crazy, but will also be a great lawn mower, we are staying in Mt Stuart Hobart for 3 wks until we can move into our new home.

Have investigated Kingston/margate so getting to know my way around quite well!! Hope you guys all ok, thanks again for your help, would love to meet up at one of your meet ups sometime x

Welcome to Tassie.

You arrived in time for some lovely weather last few days and we might even get snow on the mountain tomorrow.

Wow a shetland pony - my daughter will love you as she's horse mad!!!!!!!!!!

Would be happy to met up with you when you are free and settled.

Good luck with everything and if I can help just shout.

Emma

I would say pop into the Kingston Florist to say Hi when you are in Channel Court but just taken another shop on in Eastlands ( also the Kingston Florist !!!!) so will be in that for a week or so but offer extends to there so if you are in Eastlands pop in. Best wishes for your new life in Tassie. Sally , Colin and Jackson

I was thinking of you on Monday and Tuesday when we had 2 glorious spring days, wondering if you had arrived and thinking what a beautiful time to arrive in Tassie.

However the weather will be a bit wild and woolly for the next few days - the "normal" equinoxial gales we get around both the spring and autumn equinox. Welcome to the Roaring Forties!

As Emma says, just yell if you have any questions. Between us we'll probably be able to confuse you no end!

Yes, it was beautiful yesterday, spent the day in Richmond (I was homesick and it reminds me of Bakewell where I am from) what a contrast today.

Busy painting at the mo.

Can't wait to see the pony.

You should pop up to Cheval equitation in Kingston with me and Emma's daughter some time.

Debs

I would say pop into the Kingston Florist to say Hi when you are in Channel Court but just taken another shop on in Eastlands ( also the Kingston Florist !!!!) so will be in that for a week or so but offer extends to there so if you are in Eastlands pop in. Best wishes for your new life in Tassie. Sally , Colin and Jackson

Wow another shop,

will keep you busy!!

Best of luck.

Debs

Thanks Debs. Only opened last Thursday, but already feeling my age ( I think I must be 90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or at least my legs are.

Sally

exciting or madness not sure which yet!! What with that and all the wedding flowers we seem to be doing not that I am complaining but I think that I need a G&T and a darkened room for a few days.

Sally

x

Archived