Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad your interview worked out well, so exciting and scary all at the same time.

We're now 8 months in and still loving Tassie. Had a trip up the east coast which was lovely and looking forward to seeing more of Tassie in the summer school holidays.

Has anyone been to the Tulip Festival at the Botanical Gardens before. It's on this weekend and wondered if the kids would enjoy it? Should be a sunny weekend too.

we might pop down tomm. school fair on sunday.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest siamsusie

What a lovely day today.

Lets hope we have some more like it.

Emma

:cry: I am so missing Tasmania Emma, luckily I go home for good in March. Last week in the Tamar we had 31 mls of rainwater, good the warmer weather is with you... such a contrast from Tassie to northern WA. Enjoy yourselves :wubclub:

We have had a lot of rain recently but does seem to be drying up, but everywhere is very green. Lovely day again today. Took the kids to the Royal Hobart Show today for the first time. They had a good time.

Won't be long before you're back in Tassie.

Guest Greenie

oh I really love Tassie

I wish I could live there but I don't know how I can afford to get there

I'm 16 and too poOr to study in Tasmania :((

Guest guest30038
i'm from Vietnam :D

For a 16 yr old, your grasp of the English langusge is really good Greenie. want to tell us more about yourself?

kev

Guest pickyelectrician

We need advice please on moving to Tas. I am an electrician and have a job to go to on about $55k We have two children 5 years and eight months. My wife is to embark on a nursing degree in Launceston hopefully. We have about $125000 to put towards a house on current rates. How do you think we would manage financially on one wage? We would need to pay for after school club for one and nursery for the other for approx three days a week. Plus all the obvious expenses. We really need to make the decision asap and have really struggled with it. We would need to be there by the end of Nov for the job. We were out there in May. Just seems a hard decision whether we would be worse off etc Would like to hear other peoples thoughts on this based upon their experiences things such as schools, health ( i am diabetic), houses, lifestyle, missing family etc All / any help would be very much appreciated.

Guest siamsusie

hi there leckman our home is Launceston way, if you pm me I hopefully can help you. My husband is also an electrician but works in signals. Is your wife going to be working at LGH Hospital? $125,000 will put you in reasonable stead for a home ( you prob will have to get a mortgage ) but I can point you in the right areas of Lonnie. Health wise, your better off in Tasmania, there is a very active Diabetic clinic which my husband's best friend attends... Schools, probably state schools, and I can put you in touch with a friend of mine who has two primary school children. Houses are more expensive in CBD (capital) but outside you can certainly get 3/4 the way there depending on what you require. Missing family .... well there is always that the Melbourne trip from the UK is a few hours longer than say perth.

If you pm me I can discuss things like rates, cost of living etc with you best wishes ss x

Guest joebogie

HI , hoping to get some advice on childrens nursery, my little girl will be just over two when we get to Tas ( fingers crossed) my job is in Kingston so planning things around that area, can anyone reccomend a good childrens nursery in that area? would only be 1-2 days week max.

Also we will be arriving with our dogs (7-8!!!! don't ask- we breed golden retrievers/ standard poodleas and goldendoodles) we are looking to buy asap but may need to rent a farm I think!! Any ideas suggestions welcome, don't mind them being in kennels for a bit but not ideal long term, ? anyone with good/bad experiences of kennels in the area?

House on market had few viewings, just keeping our fingers crossed!! x

Guest siamsusie

Hi Joe, I cant answer these questions, I really couldnt tell you about kennels or nurserys in that area as we are over north tassie but other members should be able to guide you. Enjoy your trip to Tasmania, I dont think you'll regret it ss x

• 5 weeks later...
Guest max bloom

While not being British it might seem peculiar me joining a forum titled PomsInOz, but I share the same sentiments with many in this thread. I have a new family and am looking at raising them in an environment that will afford them the greatest opportunity to live their life in a beautiful natural environment surrounded by people that care about the community in which they live. I live in Southern California, and while the weather here is unbeatable, the congestion and general antipathy toward open spaces has become unbearable. My wife was raised in Sydney and both of us, while never having been, have fallen in love with TAS from afar. We will be travelling there in late December and are looking to purchase property near Hobart. Neither one of us has any idea exactly what we will do to earn a living if we really decide to make TAS our home, but why quibble over such minor details. I figure that while we are currently in a good position finanically to purchase a home in TAS outright, that is at least a start in the right direction. I am a writer and my wife is a lawyer. In a connected world, both of our jobs to a considerable degree are portable. Our twins are two years old and my inlaws (Australian citizens) are retired and looking to make the move with us. Any advise, suggestions or ideas would be most welcome.

Guest siamsusie
While not being British it might seem peculiar me joining a forum titled PomsInOz, but I share the same sentiments with many in this thread. I have a new family and am looking at raising them in an environment that will afford them the greatest opportunity to live their life in a beautiful natural environment surrounded by people that care about the community in which they live. I live in Southern California, and while the weather here is unbeatable, the congestion and general antipathy toward open spaces has become unbearable. My wife was raised in Sydney and both of us, while never having been, have fallen in love with TAS from afar. We will be travelling there in late December and are looking to purchase property near Hobart. Neither one of us has any idea exactly what we will do to earn a living if we really decide to make TAS our home, but why quibble over such minor details. I figure that while we are currently in a good position finanically to purchase a home in TAS outright, that is at least a start in the right direction. I am a writer and my wife is a lawyer. In a connected world, both of our jobs to a considerable degree are portable. Our twins are two years old and my inlaws (Australian citizens) are retired and looking to make the move with us. Any advise, suggestions or ideas would be most welcome.

Hi Max, welcome to PIO. There are a few of us from Tasmania here (they call it Australia's best kept secret!) Deborah & HappyLass are in Hobart as are a few other people. Itcouldbeworse (kev) is the resident PIO Tasmania Photographer:wink:. We have a property in the northern part of Tasmania but my OH has most of his family in Hobart. It is a beautiful state, I am sure you have done some homework ; it is a gorgeous place to bring up children. I cant recommend schools for your twins, but hopefully someone can come along to do so. Buying a property isnt a problem, I found the estate agents were most helpful and they certainly spent many a long day driving me around to find our dream home. Throw some questions at us and hopefully we can answer them for you Max . Best wishes Susie NB. PIO have international visitors from all over the world Max so welcome/I have given you a few links to the Hobart area and I am sure PIO members in or around Hobart will give you some even better ones.

http://www.bcl.com.au/hobart/

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=nursery+school+hobart

http://www.hobartcity.com.au/HCC/STANDARD/LIVING_IN_HOBART.html

http://www.realestate.com.au/realestate/agent/living+real+estate+hobart/auqgip/homes+for+sale

http://www.tenders.tas.gov.au/domino/dtf/dtf.nsf/v-career/FCB9F0A9D5E8F5E2CA256FAB0019F9B3

http://www.tchange.com.au/regions/hobart_city.html

http://www.discovertasmania.com/activities__and__attractions/adventure_activities/cycling_tasmania

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/default.asp.................... The Sydney-Hobart race commences 26th December 2009, thats a gorgeous sight

http://www.hobart.world-guides.com/hobart_events.html

http://www.tasmanianwriters.org/calendar.htm

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/tas/hobart/hobart/events/festivals/tasmanian-writers

http://www.bclbooks.com.au/tasbooks.htm

HI , hoping to get some advice on childrens nursery, my little girl will be just over two when we get to Tas ( fingers crossed) my job is in Kingston so planning things around that area, can anyone reccomend a good childrens nursery in that area? would only be 1-2 days week max.

Also we will be arriving with our dogs (7-8!!!! don't ask- we breed golden retrievers/ standard poodleas and goldendoodles) we are looking to buy asap but may need to rent a farm I think!! Any ideas suggestions welcome, don't mind them being in kennels for a bit but not ideal long term, ? anyone with good/bad experiences of kennels in the area?

House on market had few viewings, just keeping our fingers crossed!! x

we use Ocean view day care (black mans bay) and they also run mountain view in Kingston. There is also kingston beach day care which is supposed to be good.

It is so much cheaper than uk plus you get money back if you claim child care benefit.

When are you coming over?

pM me if you want.

Debs

Hi to all those new to this thread!

JoeBogie did you get the job at the Kingborough Medical centre. I can't really recommend about nursery/childcare centres as mine are too old but Deb has listed the local ones and there are also the ABC childcare centres too. Can't help with the kennels but good luck on selling your house. When do you hope to get here?

Max Bloom we are in Blackmans Bay - 15 minutes south of Hobart and loving it. We arrived in February this year and have 2 children 8 and 12. There are lots of lovely areas around Hobart, really depends on how far out you want to travel, the tchange website siamsusie recommnded is excellent at giving details on areas, and distances to Hobart. We are all friendly on here and will try answer any questions you have. You should have some nice weather when you arrive.

Weather is definatly improving.

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Guest max bloom
Hi to all those new to this thread!

JoeBogie did you get the job at the Kingborough Medical centre. I can't really recommend about nursery/childcare centres as mine are too old but Deb has listed the local ones and there are also the ABC childcare centres too. Can't help with the kennels but good luck on selling your house. When do you hope to get here?

Max Bloom we are in Blackmans Bay - 15 minutes south of Hobart and loving it. We arrived in February this year and have 2 children 8 and 12. There are lots of lovely areas around Hobart, really depends on how far out you want to travel, the tchange website siamsusie recommnded is excellent at giving details on areas, and distances to Hobart. We are all friendly on here and will try answer any questions you have. You should have some nice weather when you arrive.

Weather is definatly improving.

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Thanks so much for your quick responses Emma & Susie. Two of the 10 properties I've been looking at are in Blackmans Bay so your input Emma will be received with much anticipation. My personal favorite places to live in TAS are a bit too remote with two little ones. My immediate objective is to purchase a home that I could easily rent for a year or two until I can comfortably make the big move. According to the stats homes around Hobart or within close proximity meet that criteria. I also want to make sure the area is family oriented and close to good schools. I do not want the children to feel isolated. On the other hand, I'm moving to TAS partly to escape Suburbia so I would rather not replant myself in the same, albiet more beautiful, flowerbed. Our ideal budget for a four bedroom home is 400,000 AUD or under. Perhaps the first question I have to the group is can anyone recommend a good and trustworthy real estate agent or agency in the Hobart area? Next question, how easy is it to rent out a home in the current market? Last question on this subject . . . I've been reading some nasty oped pieces in your local papers about noxious property tax hikes. Do these only apply to new home sales? Would it effect new purchases of used homes? I hate to bombard you all with boring practical property questions, but this will be the largest single investment of our move and I want to make sure I'm not missing some important detail. Thanks again for your input.

BTW. Max Bloom is the lead character in a screenplay I wrote and also the name of my Cafe in Fullerton, CA. My real name is Stephen.

Guest siamsusie

Morning Stephen,

I really cant answer your questions here, I have just been reading up a wee bit on it Tasmanian property - Land tax in Tasmania.

Quote"On the other hand, if Joe and Mary had been buying the same house and land, but the property had been the vendor’s primary residence (so no land tax was payable), then they would have had nothing to pay. The charge could be a big one, and totally unexpected, or it could be zero. You need to know whether you are buying someone’s home or one of their investments "Quote

HappyLass & Emma should be able to provide you with greater inside knowledge on what is happening in Hobart. I used PRD Nationwide as our estate agents and found them to be good but they all differ and again I will leave it to the others to give their recommendations.

I will ring my brother in law in Hobart (he works for the Hobart Government) this evening and ask him a few questions and post again if I find anything of interest

2009-10 Commonwealth budget

The First Home Owners Boost will be extended for six months until the end of December 2009. The eligibility criteria and application process have not changed.

• Between 1 July and 30 September, eligible first home buyers will receive $7 000 plus either $7 000 to purchase an established home or $14 000 to purchase or build a new home.
  • Between 1 October and 31 December, eligible first home buyers will receive $7 000 plus either $3 500 to purchase an established home or $7 000 to purchase or build a new home.
  • From January 1 2010, the First Home Owner Boost will cease but eligible first home buyers will continue to receive the First Home Owner Grant of $7 000 regardless of whether they are buying an established home or buying or building a new home.

The above is subject to you being an Australian Citizen or holding PR.

NB http://www.sro.tas.gov.au/ Stephen this site gives you details on Land Tax etc and Stamp Duty which is payable by the purchaser (unless given a concession)

Best wishes Susie

Hi Stephen,

We live on the eastern shore of Hobart, which is a lovely area and generally quiet (except for Rokeby). I don't know what the suburbs are like where you are from but the suburbs you find here are unlike the ones I have seen in the UK so you may find you are pleasantly surprised. We also have what I would call rural areas around here too; it's a beautiful part of Tasmania to live and nearly everywhere has a view of the mountain, the water and is in close proximity to a beach.

The land tax matter is not something we've come across personally and no one we know as been affected by this. I wish I could help you with your other questions but I moved into my husband's house here in Tas so couldn't give a solid recommendation for an estate agent and as far as family facilities go my suggestions are based on what's best for people with cats and dogs:smile: However, I have heard that the schools are good around here so if you can find a house that suits your needs and budget, the eastern shore may be a good place to start.

Hi

We currently rent so can't help with buying a house, but when we were looking at renting most of the agents were helpful.

We really love Blackmans Bay. Lovely beach, good local shops, amenities and only a short distance to Hobart and out to the country. Blackmans Bay has 2 local state primary schools, Illawarra and Blackmans Bay, there are 2 state High Schools for the area, Kingston High and Taroona, both also with good reputations, there are also various Catholic and Christian Private Schools in the area too.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions.

Emma:v_SPIN:

Guest HouseofHarris
Hi

My husband and I have only just moved to Tasmania. Are there any Pommie social groups we could join? Tasmania is lovely - Hobart has a great pub culture and is really Bohemian! There's much more culture than the mainland. we'd love to hear from any Poms in Tassie for a potentail get together.

:0)

Hi Carrie,

We also moved to Tas recently, did you find a Pommie social group that organises get togethers in Hobart?...we're always up for a pint!

Elly

Guest Caromac

Hi everyone,

I feel like an interloper :daydreaming:..I am a born and bred Tasmanian and I'd like to welcome you all to our wonderful little secret.

I hope you enjoy your time here and meet some great Tasmanians.

Deborah, I work at the RHH as an admin officer...you will probably have your contract extended after twelve months, it sometimes happens.

I can't recall who was looking at Glenorchy as a place to live, being a Glenorchy girl (lived there when I was young) I wouldn't advise anyone knew to Tassie to live there as it has just heaps since I was young.

The eastern shore (except Rokeby or Clarendon Vale, Gagebrook or Bridgewater) and the southern suburbs (kingston & Blackman's Bay) all have good reputations. Would also steer clear of Risdon Vale (in the shadow of the gaol) and Warrane although I have heard that is getting better. If you need to know anything just put a message on this site and I will attempt to answer your questions.

I am a descendant of about seven convicts form England and two gaolers at Port Arthur so fascinated with England.

Good luck to you all...by the way I still have the scar on my neck to prove where they removed the second head!!! lol :laugh:

Regards,

Carolyn

Archived