Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

Guest welcometomyworld

I thoroughly recommend Tasmania as a holiday destination or a fabulous place to raise a family,it is widely acknowleged as having the cleanest air of just about anywhere on the planet and it has some stunning scenery.if it wasn't for pressure of business I would spend a lot more time there than I do,especially in the spring.
How right you are there Nigel. Sure, our roads are always a bone of contention regarding updating and maintenance but as usual Tasmania appears to be last on the list in Oz to get things done, we have the on going issues with the Pulp Mill, no railway etc etc but these things are not as important as to your quality of life at a slower place surrounded by beauty and great lifestyle.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest welcometomyworld

Hi

We may have only been here for 8 weeks but we love Tassie. We came here looking to get away from the London lifestyle and we don't want England abroad.

We couldn't have asked to meet some nicer people, local and expats (from all over the world) and be made to feel so welcome.

We are enjoying the relaxed way of life but appreciate that work still is a must. Paul is still working the hours he did in the UK but why wouldn't he be - we still have to pay the bills, but an 1 1/2 hour commute is now a 20 minute coastal road commute.

But we wake up to stunning sceanery and on the weekends we explore.

Emma

welcome Ems and Paul, delighted your enjoying Tassie, it is a stunning island isnt it. Maybe we should start a new thread of where you have explored to so we can shre your enjoyment and experiences. Whereabouts are you?

Guest welcometomyworld

How wonderful Emma, and your living in a pretty spot as well, hope the children are enjoying themselves. Bet the children thought the Platypus was exciting. The bird life also fascinates me here, its hard to concentrate at times when so many different breeds of parrots are around

Guest joebogie

Hi we are set on Tasmania too, where we end up will probably depend on where I get a job, anyone built a house there or got any contacts? My husband is going in June to have a look around and get a feel for the different areas. We love the look of tas, the fact the climate is cooler than the rest of Oz and the fact we can afford a lot of space! I love the rest of Oz, but have to work in an are of workforce shortage and the advantage of Tas in the distances are not huge.

Can't wait x

Guest welcometomyworld
Hi we are set on Tasmania too, where we end up will probably depend on where I get a job, anyone built a house there or got any contacts? My husband is going in June to have a look around and get a feel for the different areas. We love the look of tas, the fact the climate is cooler than the rest of Oz and the fact we can afford a lot of space! I love the rest of Oz, but have to work in an are of workforce shortage and the advantage of Tas in the distances are not huge.

Can't wait x

Hi Joebogie, welcome to Tasmania. We personally didnt built our house but a builder did for us, we are in the North though and we are on 3 aces of land. It is an absolutely beautiful island, and I am sure you will receive a huge welcome here. What sort of work are you looking for? and would you like to live North or South? If I can be of any help just me know x

Guest joebogie

Where in Tasmania would you go if you could get a job anywhere, like the look of north east ! we would like a rural setting to live. Have a little girl 1 yr old so don't want to be too remote and think there may be too much rain on the west coast!

Are there any doctors on here who have made the move? I am a Gp, know there are lots of jobs, need to be an area of work force need, would be great to get some advice from another medic re work etc x

Guest joebogie

Hi thanks for the welcome, I am a Gp so looking for a practice , lots about but has to be in area of workforce shortage to get a visa. We aren't completely set on where, rural, and coast would be nice, ? NE, were you happy with your builder? Rich my husband coming over in June and hoping to meet some builders/architects etc Would be great to have some word of mouth contacts x

Guest welcometomyworld

Hi there I am a Dr also, but work in hospitals and you are probably more aware of what is going on regarding Gp practices than I am lol. You will be extremely welcome over here a gross shortage of Drs as well.

We are over Launceston way but in the country (and love it here). I am loath to give details about our builder in a public forum but certainly pm me and I can give you further details. Our builder is one of the best, he was originally born in the Uk but taken over to Queensland when a young child, but we have nothing but praise for him, he works primarily alone but he is meticulous and thorough, extremely fair and honest, and honesty was what we were looking for as well as an excellent job. He has become a family friend now. Word of mouth is important there are cowboys everywhere. We recently had an extension built and it was done exceptionally well and all within budget. Electricians, plumbers etc can be recommended as well, my husband is a Tasmanian and knows most people so he would be delighted to recommend some things to you. A big welcome

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Hi there I am a Dr also, but work in hospitals and you are probably more aware of what is going on regarding Gp practices than I am lol. You will be extremely welcome over here a gross shortage of Drs as well.

We are over Launceston way but in the country (and love it here). I am loath to give details about our builder in a public forum but certainly pm me and I can give you further details. Our builder is one of the best, he was originally born in the Uk but taken over to Queensland when a young child, but we have nothing but praise for him, he works primarily alone but he is meticulous and thorough, extremely fair and honest, and honesty was what we were looking for as well as an excellent job. He has become a family friend now. Word of mouth is important there are cowboys everywhere. We recently had an extension built and it was done exceptionally well and all within budget. Electricians, plumbers etc can be recommended as well, my husband is a Tasmanian and knows most people so he would be delighted to recommend some things to you. A big welcome

Hi Welcometomyworld, which part of Tasmania are you in exactly?

Guest welcometomyworld

Hi Armchair Detectve,

on the Tamar Valley about 20 minutes outside of Launceston, beautiful wine growing area do you know it?

Guest welcometomyworld

Becoming much cooler around 13 today drizzle, had a 1mm of rain so I never complain at that. I know your a Tassie lover, which is youir favourite part?

Guest welcometomyworld

Have you been in Launceston long?
My husband and I are Tasmanian Nigel he was born in a very strange place. I was born in Hobart. We both have lived in Europe though for a fair time. We love it here, although the travelling bug is settling in again.

Guest welcometomyworld

But you were in Karratha only a few weeks ago weren't you?
Yes we FIFO both of us

Hi Armchair Detectve,

on the Tamar Valley about 20 minutes outside of Launceston, beautiful wine growing area do you know it?

Yes, I have friends in Somerset which is two hours away but they regularly go in Launceston.

So what are you a doctor in exactly, is it medicine or some other discipline?

Medicine , thank goodness its still a profession that is needed

Thats good, I did wonder if it was internet protocols.

Guest joebogie

I am a Doc of medicine a general Practitioner, so lucky to be in demand over there, just got to sell up over here etc Been great looking at the pictures on here, really difficult to know which area to head for as so many places have lots going for them...

I think welcometomyworld said she was an FRCS or something like that.

What sort of doctoring do you do joebogie? I imagine you will get over to Tasmania quite quickly.

Archived