Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

Guest Dee007

:yes: We moved to Tassie last November after 2 1/2 years in South Australia. We love it here. The weather is great, you can actually be outside without having to seek shade all the time. After SA's summers, give me Tassie weather any day! We've not experienced a winter here yet, so I cannot comment.

We have bought a block of land and are building our own house. We are living in our shed and life is great. We have two daughters 9 and 2 years old and they love it here too.

The people are very friendly. It's a very unhurried pace of life which can be a little frustrating at first, but we have adjusted to this way of life now.

We have not done much sightseeing since arriving, but the countryside is breathtaking and GREEN! We have been to some gorgeous beaches (uncrowded).

We are south of Hobart in the Huon area which is 50 km from Hobart but the drive is only 40 mins (tops) and what a beautiful drive it is. You don't hit any traffic lights until you get into Hobart!

Come to Tas there are only 500,000 people living here and it's beautiful! Looking forward to more Poms arriving as there are not that many of us living here.

D

x

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joebogie

Hi we are hoping to come out asap- where depends on jobs, but would be great to know any building contacts as we would like to build our own place etc we have one daughter 12 mths, can't wait to get there!

Guest Dee007
Hi we are hoping to come out asap- where depends on jobs, but would be great to know any building contacts as we would like to build our own place etc we have one daughter 12 mths, can't wait to get there!

Hi Joe. We are building a kit home (Paal Kit Homes) and sourced tradesmen through our local newspaper and recommendations. We had to apply to our local council to obtain an "Owner Builder Licence" which didn't take too long to come through. I'd just warn you though to choose wisely with your building contacts. Do a lot of asking around. Good luck with your move.

Dee

:yes: We moved to Tassie last November after 2 1/2 years in South Australia. We love it here. The weather is great, you can actually be outside without having to seek shade all the time. After SA's summers, give me Tassie weather any day! We've not experienced a winter here yet, so I cannot comment.

We have bought a block of land and are building our own house. We are living in our shed and life is great. We have two daughters 9 and 2 years old and they love it here too.

The people are very friendly. It's a very unhurried pace of life which can be a little frustrating at first, but we have adjusted to this way of life now.

We have not done much sightseeing since arriving, but the countryside is breathtaking and GREEN! We have been to some gorgeous beaches (uncrowded).

We are south of Hobart in the Huon area which is 50 km from Hobart but the drive is only 40 mins (tops) and what a beautiful drive it is. You don't hit any traffic lights until you get into Hobart!

Come to Tas there are only 500,000 people living here and it's beautiful! Looking forward to more Poms arriving as there are not that many of us living here.

D

x

We are arriving in 3 weeks hence not been on here for a while.

We are so busy.

I have now got a job as an Occupational Therapist (for a year

mat cover) working in the community rehab centre in Hobart. My OH nothing as yet.

The hardest thing I have found is knowing which area of Hobart to settle and which schools. I don't want to be travelling more than 20 mins as I only travel 3 mins to work at present!

We have managed to rent out our house also.

The oldest is excited and can't wait to start looking for schools, she is 6.

My other daughter is 22 months (dreading flight with her)

It would be great to meet some of you one day.

:jiggy:

Debsx

Guest Colin R

Hi Deb,

We are in Kingston, call in when you get over, the shop is in Channel Court in Kingston (Kingston Florist) .

Have a chat to Emma she has 2 lovely children bit older than yours I know but they seem to be very settled in their school. Have a safe trip over

Sally

x

Hi Debs

How exciting only 3 weeks to go and congrats on the job.

I'm sure you'll find lots of areas to choose from when you get here and start driving about. 20 mins from Hobart goes quite a long way out, where have you thought about so far?

It'll be great to meet up when you get here.

Have you sent your stuff yet?

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Guest The Cutches

Just thought I'd drop in to say hello on PIO. Haven't been on in ages, just don't seem to get the time for surfing the net these days! I really need to spend some time catching up on this thread, it's great to read about so many new families coming to Tassie.

Well, as a quick update from us; we moved to Tassie in Sept 08, so we're 6 months in now and absolutely loving it! We had a bit of a shaky start, o/h's job offer fell thro' as soon as we arrived. Had 10 days holiday accommodation booked and couldn't to find a rental. We wanted furnished but in the end had to take unfurnished as the rentals were really thin on the ground. This meant we had to spend our funds on furnishing a house for a family of 4, which was a bit of a bummer. Luckily we found 'Fantastic Furniture' so that helped lol! :v_SPIN:

I got a job in a recruitment agency, and o/h got one in local gov, so that's all sorted thankfully! We've been living in Kingston, but have just bought a house in Dodges Ferry - it's further from the city with a longer commute but we just loved the place! Hoping to move in at the end of May. Kids will have to move schools again, but they seem to be fine with that.

O/H's family are coming out to visit in about 3wks time. My brother and his wife are moving out this year and my parents are coming out for a 2nd visit.

(BTW - Skype is a godsend - make sure you get your loved ones hooked up before you leave the UK, if you haven't already)

Anyway, that's our update - I'm gonna spend an hour or so reading up on everyone else now. If you're already here then I hope you're enjoying it, if you're preparing to come here, I'm sure you'll love it - we do :wub:

Take Care

CC

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Just thought I'd drop in to say hello on PIO. Haven't been on in ages, just don't seem to get the time for surfing the net these days! I really need to spend some time catching up on this thread, it's great to read about so many new families coming to Tassie.

Take Care

CC

How bist me babber?

Guest smogmonster

Hi folks, im after advice on 'nice' suburbs in Hobart and which to avoid. I hear that West, South and North Hobart are good, along with Battery Point and Sandy Bay...are there any that should be avoided.. i hope noone takes offence but ive not heard much good about Glenorchy...is it that bad, or just that everywhere else is just better? Anywhere else that should be avoided? I have a job at the RHH, so anywhere within 10 mins by motorbike or 30 mins on the mountainbike commute will be great. Blackmans Bay also seems nice, but can you advise how far away it is? We'll be arriving in late december/early January, just in the early process of getting the sponsored visa, no house to sell, which makes things easier in the current climate. Does anyone know if the RHH has a creche facility? If not can anyone recommend one in the vicinity of the RHH? Our daughter will be 2 by the time we get there, and we have a 9 year old son as well so we need to find a school for him also.

Thanks for any info.

Hi

We are currently in Blackmans Bay which is about 20 minutes drive from Hobart. We love it and the kids have settled really well into school. Kingston is also really nice too.

OH is working in Sandy Bay and it seems to have a good reputation.

In my own opinion I like the areas South of Hobart.

There are lots of childcare centres about although don't know if RHH has its own one. Might be worth having a look at ABC Childcare and Lady Gowrie Tasmania.

Good Luck and hope all goes well.

Emma

Guest Dee007

Hi Debs

Yes it would be great to meet up when you have settled in. Kingston is a nice area and it would only take you 10 minutes to drive into Hobart. I hope your flight is as stress-free as it can be with a 22 month old! Good luck.

Dee

x

Guest joebogie

Thanks for replying, I see state sponsorship has been suspended, still getting my head around all the visa business, but as I should have a job to go to hoping this wont affect us too much. Just wish we could go now!!!! I am finding it difficult to stop thinking about going now and it probably won't be for ages, so really must focus on the positives here for now!!

We are bringing our dogs- all 5- just don't ask!!!! Any tips, see some people on here reccomend air pet, think we will need to rent a farm with a barn when we get there , no one else will have us!

Also on removals , we have a quote from brittania, anyone got any experiences? specifically the Tas end?

My husband coming to visit Tas in June, any tips there also would be helpful! x

Thanks again, really enjoying the site x

Guest Colin R

Hi there,

We used Britainia to move us and in fact they were very good we had a 40ft high cube container absolutely packed to the rafters. At this end it was Chess Price they were OK to. Although Colin banned me from going anywhere near their depot. He wasnt sure it was where I would like to sdee all my stuff. It did in fact get here OK and although there was a lot of porceilain there was not too mnay problems.

We brought 2 dogs with us and used Pinehawk Shippers in Newmarket I couldnt speak highly enough of Andy and his wife. They were excellant . We had to use Jetpet for the flight to Tassie from Melbourne but they both arrived in excellant condition , and having never been in kennelas or away from home before we were so pleased on how trhey took to the experience. In fact since being here for 3 years now we have a further 2 more dogs to add to the Zoo. We have had to get a kennel licence you need that for 3 dogs or more . This is obtained from the local council. Renting with dogs is a little bit of a problem . We were Ok as we bought our house within a couple of days of arriving in Tasmania and in fact were in before the dogs arrived . Now they spend most of their time in the garden sunning themselves or out for walks on Kingston and Seven mile beach . Great life I think.

anyway I hope that all goes well for you. And that you will be as happy as we are when you finally get here

best wishes

Sally

Guest joebogie

thanks really useful tips, but please dont go on about how great it is as my feet are itchy enough!!!!!! We are lucky enough to live in Devon but it is so busy we hardly bother going to the beach in the tourist season, took me 40 min to travel 2 miles to work on BH monday, just kept thinking, wouldn't get this in Tas!

great to hear about dogs, think my OH had been looking into licences etc nice to hear yours settled in so quick and travelled well. We are hoping to buy/build asap, possibly before we arrive permanently, we will see! Thanks again x Jo

Guest Yellow Wood

Having travelled thru' Tassie, it is a great place. Weatherwise, do what I did in the UK and learn about 'rain shadows'. You will see that the centre is very dry, followed by the east coast, where you get a lot of sunshine hours (relatively speaking...bear in mind a friend in hobart has just gone thru@ a bad Summer...and don't go comparing it to mainland Aussie...Sunshine coast it aint!). The seas are really clean, but you need a wetsuit all year if doing anything more than a dip.

Anybody in any doubt about any move anywhere...read a book call Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers I think...life's an adventure! Enjoy!

Guest joebogie
Having travelled thru' Tassie, it is a great place. Weatherwise, do what I did in the UK and learn about 'rain shadows'. You will see that the centre is very dry, followed by the east coast, where you get a lot of sunshine hours (relatively speaking...bear in mind a friend in hobart has just gone thru@ a bad Summer...and don't go comparing it to mainland Aussie...Sunshine coast it aint!). The seas are really clean, but you need a wetsuit all year if doing anything more than a dip.

Anybody in any doubt about any move anywhere...read a book call Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers I think...life's an adventure! Enjoy!

Thanks, I know the weather in Tas is not as hot/sunny, in fact that is part of the draw, have spent time on sunshine coast and perth and found it great fora holiday but too hot to live!

I think south of Hobart and E coast look great, have to work in an area of district workforce shortage and don't want a huge commute, we will see! thanks

Guest joebogie

Has anyone taken a car out with them to Oz? ? worth it , we will probably need a whole container so from that point of view might be viable, just wondering re tax when we get it there??

Also have house prices in tas been affected by the recession??

Guest Dee007
Has anyone taken a car out with them to Oz? ? worth it , we will probably need a whole container so from that point of view might be viable, just wondering re tax when we get it there??

Also have house prices in tas been affected by the recession??

Sorry can't help with the car. My husband still wishes he'd shipped over his beloved Peugeot 205 that he'd spent a few thousand on restoring it!!!

Re house prices, I think Tas is still going strong. Certainly in the Huon area the boards are saying "for sale" one minute and "sold" the next! Things might slow when the recession hits harder though.

Guest joebogie

thanks not suprised recession not hit Tas, have to stop looking at the real estate sites, as we are a good while away, what is the ?Huon like

Guest joebogie

Sorry asking loads of questions! What stuff do you wish you had taken with you? Is treayed leather eg furniture ok to ship, know they are strict on animal products etc!

Guest Dee007
Sorry asking loads of questions! What stuff do you wish you had taken with you? Is treayed leather eg furniture ok to ship, know they are strict on animal products etc!

We only really brought over personal items (photos, cd's), my daughter's toys and all my kitchen and dinnerware, the rest we sold or donated. Most of our furniture was 5 years old so didn't think it was worth paying shipping costs. It was lovely to buy everything new! No real regrets of not bringing anything, just my Dyson. After lots of nagging, my hubbie bought me a new one though. Also a mirror I didn't bring because my hubbie said it would get smashed and I havn't seen any I like here. I know Immigration are strict on certain items but your shipping company will give you a list of prohibited items and if you are not sure, then they should be able to advise you.

Guest Colin R

We brought just about everything. Mainly bacause my aunt who had lived in Tassie for years had told us too.!! and I think that she would have come back and haunted me if I hadnt. Most of my things were antiques, so it is a little different, I certainly couldnt have got the same over here and even if I could the cost s are far higher. I had to sell on advice from the shippers a couple of chairs which had cane inserts, this was mainly because they could have held the container up as there could have been a problem. The only problem we had was a couple of the items of furniture had been crated and the company had used new wood . These had to be fumigated not the contents just the crates and we had to pay to have them disposed of!. I would have brought more bedding over with us, duvet covers and the like mainly because I could get them wholesale in the UK and I find that good quality ones over here are expensive .We didint bring over white goods though as I didnt think that it would be good to have them idle for 3 months or so as I thought that they might not work. I also couldnt bring in all my horse tack and rugs as this is not OK. Really if you are getting a container then pack it to the top as at least what ever you dont want over here you can sell when you get here. There is a strong second hand market in goods .

Sally

Guest Yellow Wood

My mates took their beloved VW Campervan out to NZ...they wern't prepared for the bills! The moment it arrived in Christchurch it was impounded. They were asked for a sort of certificate that any work that had ever been done had been done professionally. When this couldn't be proved, they had to have the work done again....eg they had a wing done in UK what might just be seen as basic bit of welding...had to do it again! Don't know situation in OZ or Taz...just beware!

Archived