Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

Guest Colin R

Hi there. I will try to answer a few thigs.

We live in Kingston and have been here for 2 1/2 years having been coming to Tassie for 20 odd years for hiolidays.

We brought 2 dogs with us from the UK when we came here in 2006 we used Pinehawk Shippers a small concern but having talked to a number of the large shippers They were the best in my iopinion. The also shipped our friends 2 dogs over here last year and they were very pleased with them too. Jetpets were used for the flight from Melbourne to Hobart. I suppose the cost all up for the 2 Jack Russells was abaout

We have now 4 dogs . and have a kennel licence. We have not found a problem walking our dogs Kingston Beach has a dog walking area , as does Seven Mile Beach, 5 Mile Beach and part of the beach at Conningham. There is a reserve in Blackmans Bay and you are able to walk your dogs there also .

Both Colin and I were horse riders in the Uk in fact Colin did it for a ling at one time he was a Mounted Police Officer. We have not purchased a horse yet as we are so involved with our business and getting our house sorted that we do not have enough time left for the day to day care of a horse mores the pity. Our friends in Sandford have said that we can agist it over there if we want too we will see.

Hay at the moment is between $7 and $8.50 per bale it did go up to over $10 a bale last year.

I didnt bring any tack over with me as it is not advisable and I didnt want any problems with our container . As it was we brought 2 motorbikes and 3 guns and I thought that saddles and rugs might just put push customs and quarantine over the edge ( it dosn't take much to do this even for everyday shipments for Melbourne!!!)

As for visa we used Charles Camidge at inbib he lives Hobart and was very good . He has also acted for a number of people who have migrated here . the web site is www.inbib.com .

Sally

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, thanks for the feedback, sorry to hear of your loss Deborah, not looking forward to the day when I lose a horse. I am considering bringing one of mine over with me but it is allot of money, we'll have to see!! If not will definately have another as can't imagine life without one!

Sally it sounds like your container will be a bit like ours (If we make the move) as OH has motorbikes!! Do you have a link to a website which tells you what you can & can not import into Aus / TAS? My OH has some machinery inc a digger which he wouldn't mind bringing, as they seem to be very expensive over there! How much was the dog transport (you missed that bit out!).

Thanks.

How exciting bringing a horse. Mine was a 15.2. anglo arab and a right bugger! Always napping when he left the yard and had me off a few times! Turns out he had a bad back. I only had him 2 years and previous to this he had been farmed out all over the place. He was always sent back to his owners.

I do miss him but I hadn't ridden him for a while due to his arthritis. I mainly ride other peoples now so that I don't get too attached.

Can't wait to ride on the beach!

Debs

:skeptical:

Hi Deborah

This is where we are staying, Hobart Accommodation in Kingston, just 20 minutes from the Hobart City Centre

if you e-mail her she is very helpful.

Not definatly decided on an area although like the look of Kingston, Blackmans Bay, Margate and Snug. Will have a drive around when we get there!

Off to watch Wanted Down Under now on BBC iplayer. Thanks for telling us.

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Hey Emma,

I have contacted the above and she has availabilty in May when we go and it is very reasonable too.

Do you think it looks ok for kids?

I am very tempted as it is the cheapest we have found. Because we are going in low season we shouldn't have much trouble finding somewhere. The hardest bit will be to find a more permanent rental.

Applying for a job tonight so fingers crossed. It is only temp but it is a start.

What did you think to the programme?

Debs

Hi Debs,

We have 2 kids aged 7 and 11 and I think the accomodation looks fine. It seems local to things and seems really reasonable for what you get. Will be able to tell you more in a week!

We watched the program and I thought it looked good. Didn't put us off!!

Good luck with the job hunting? What type of work are you after?

Have you booked your flights yet? Who are you flying with?

Emma

x:v_SPIN:

Guest Colin R

sorry forgot to add the cost of the boys coming over here. 1700GBP for the 2 Heathrow to Melbourne inc crate and collecting boys from our home . Plus 30 nights in Melbourne Q/centre . I think that it was about $300 each to fly them on from Melbourne to Hobart this included collection and also we have to hire 2 crates? There is also a fee to pay the Australian Gov for a licence to ship this was $125 in all I think it cost us about 3000 GBP all up with Vets and everything . It was 2 1/2 years ago now so it as everything will have gone up. Colins Uncle who used to spend 6 months of the year in Perth has shipped his race hourses back to the UK It cost about GBP 12000 /15000 this was only a couple of months ago that the latest one went to the UK.

Motorbike and shipping

We brought an on road and an off road bike, we needed an import permit for the road bike but not as it turned out for the off road bike, as far as I am aware you can only import one road bike, (as a personnal import), you have to pay GST on the bike based on a value that is assessed by the government valuer, which you have to pay for, you can obtain detail via Australian Customs website, www.customs.gov.au this gives you all the information that you need. In my opinion, based on our experience of the whole process of bringing a motor vehicle through I would say that unless the vehicle is of a particularly high value, eg classic motorbike, I would say don't, there are also other costs to take into account as once you have gone through all of the import process there is then the compliance and registration process, which can also prove very costly!, there are companies that do import vehicles for migrants and it may be best to contact one of them before making a decision, our bikes came in our container with all of our household effects, this again can cause problems as if there is any dispute over valuation or the import paperwork or anything else that the customs here may decide to question this will hold up the clearence of anything and everything, we were aware of a UK migrant prior to us who had imported a car with his household effects and there was a problem with the valuation and the calculation of the LCT (Luxury Car Tax), and his container with all his worldly possesions sat on the docks in excesss of 3 months, had the car not been in the container it would have been released much quicker!!. Just to give you an idea of the Customs mentality here we imported 3 guns, a rifle and 2 shotguns, the paperwork and aggravation factor for these was far less than that of the motorbikes!!, BUT the rifle was threaded for a silencer, which are legal in the UK and on your Firearms Licence, but not here in OZ, and despite the fact that I had documentary proof that I had sold the silencer, my Firearms Licence we were still accused by the Customs Officers checking the container of hiding it somewhere in our furniture, this looked like it would hold up the clearence of our furniture and it was only after complaining to the senior Customs Officer in Hobart that the premise that we had concealed it in the load was abandoned by those Customs Officers. On talking to the removers this end apparantly here in Tasmania this is more often than not the normal attitude of Customs!!!.

If you have any other concerns or question please don't hesitate to PM us!!!.

Colin & Sally

Hi Sally & Colin

Our container has now gone. Does it go through customs in Hobart or Australia mainland or both?

Also can I ask on the flight over we have been told that we go through customs at Melbourne and not at Hobart. Is this right?

Emma:v_SPIN:

Guest Colin R

Hi Emma

Not long now is it! and the weather is warming up to greet you I think 28 today and the forecast is for 30 in the week. You wont need your UK thermals at least.

As for container it goes through the customs here in Hobart .Who is your removal company when it gets to Hobart?

You will go through immigration in Melbourne which is in the International terminal. Then go through to the domestic or Tiger Airlines have their own departure area . Anyway there is no check in Hobart for immigration only check is the Beagle dog for fruit and food. Dont forget no fruit or food even from the plane. Tasmania is very protective of its veg and flora Even have to have flowers fumigated if they are grown on the mainland before they can come to the shop.

Anyway have a safe and enjoyable journey and we hope that you will be as happy here as Colin ,Jackson and I are.

Sally

x

Hi Deborah, I've got Arabs too, I love them!! Seems like there's quite a few breeders in Tassie, especially that breed the same strain as mine (Crabbet), another reason for wanting to bring one of mine! Also seems like their are plenty of shows, which is great!! Had a look at the horsey website & looks like there are plenty of trails too!!:smile:

Thanks for the info Sally / Colin, my OH has an offroad & onroad bike too, wants to keep both, the onroad is just about a classic I think, a model which is hard to get hold of a decent one now! Importing the dogs is cheaper than I thought but the horses more than I thought:no:!!

Good luck Emma, hope the move goes well for you - exciting & scary at the same time I'd imagine!! Keep us posted!!!

In respect of property in Tassie, is there an equivalent to Council Tax? If so what is this like? Are there any other taxes you have to pay? Also what charges are there when you purchase a property?

Thanks.

Guest Colin R

hi Emma,

We had Ches Price to move our container to kingston , they were fine , they were messed about by the Customs which wasnt their fault but they moved the stuff Ok. We had a few things damaged but it was minimal when we considered the amount of things that were shipped.

sally

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Well we have been here almost a week and loving it. Lots to do. Just started looking at rentals, cars, jobs and opened our bank accounts. We managed to get new mobile phones on Friday.

Driven around Kingston, Margate, Blackmans Bay, Snug and Connigham. Been up into Hobart.

Took the kids to Boonorong Park yesterday and feed the Kangeroos and Wallabies which the kids loved.

Very very busy but loving it! Everyone is so friendly and helpful.

Emma

Greetings Emma & Gang - We were at Boonorong yesterday, Tuesday, a bit expensive, but peeps will see Devils, Roo's, wallaby's, Echidna's, Frogmouth Owls, Kolas & a wombat, etc., so, I guess it all helps to save these often injured animals. Taking the Folks to Botanical Gardens today... If you have the chance - take a day to drive down to Port Arthur, the kids (if they are over 8yrs) should love it, for it really is fascinating & very well presented in a beautiful spot, although it could take 2-days to fully explore which your ticket permits. There is so much to see & do down around the Tasman Peninsulas and the coastal scenery is stunning... Our new dog got to make a new doggy friend, run on the beach and swim in the sea - so much fun enjoyed by all (now if I can just get him to accept my folks..!)

Glad you are all settling in well - hope you're not too chilly, thou' it's probably preferable to the searing heat in Victoria currently, and last week it was in the 30's+ Typical Tassie, I guess!

Thanks for the tip. We will try and head out there soon.

Drove down towards Woodbridge the other day and ate at Peppermint Bay Restaurant. Its lovely down there and the beaches and coves were stunning.

All seems to be going to plan. Picked up the car and have hopefully secured a rental in Blackmans Bay. Going to be signing the lease in the next day or so. Spoke to the school for the kids and hopefully getting them started soon.

So far seen less creepy crawlies and spiders here than in the UK! But its nice to see the Kookaburras, parrots and cockatils in the trees.

Emma

xx:v_SPIN:

Sounds like your having a great time Emma & settling in well, also great kids are loving it!! We can't wait to come out in September!

Can you / anyone else recommend a good airline that is child friendly & reasonably priced?

We have just booked with Emirates one way for a family of 4 around £1900 including extra baggage allowance.

Mind you that is in May when it is low season.

We wanted to fly direct from manchester and avoid heathrow.

Emirates and Singapore have a good rep with children.

Are you coming for a reccie in Sept?

Did you decide on whether to bring the horse or not?

Debs

Hi Debs, thanks for the info, yes we have decided to come on a reccie in September, we were just going to apply for the Visa & go for it but having read about people who have emigrated who are trades persons (like my OH) then not being able to find work on arrival & having to go back to the UK, we think it'd be allot more sensible to go over to Tas & make sure it is for us & we can find work etc before we apply for the Visa!! Especially seeing how much the Visa / Agency fees are & the OH has to gain the AQF III certificate which is another £3k!!!

I'm sure we will love Tas but a reccie will give us peace of mind!! I don't want to become a Ping-Ponger!!! I would like to come sooner but got soo much going on now & foal due in May, then hitting Winter in Tas, we'll wait until September, just have to be patient!!! Hopefully the DIAC won't take the OH's trade off of the list!!

Yes still want to bring a horse over, we'll just have to see how things pan out!

if you need any pointers on the visa process let me know because we have just been through it.

I applied online and did it all myself. My occupation was straight forward though.

I have a job interview tomm night over the telephone!!

Wish me luck.

Debs

Thanks Debs, good luck for tommorow night, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Let us know how you get on!! Will pm you re Visa application!

if you need any pointers on the visa process let me know because we have just been through it.

I applied online and did it all myself. My occupation was straight forward though.

I have a job interview tomm night over the telephone!!

Wish me luck.

Debs

All the best Debs with your Interview....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bailes64

Hi Guys,

How yer goin? Whereabouts are you in Blackmans? We moved over here 2 years ago from the Wirral, we have moved from Deloraine to Chudleigh, Chudleigh to Orford, Orford to Kingston Beach, Kingston to Snug. you must of drove past on your trip south, did you call in at Snug beach, our girls go to Blackmans Bay Primary, they are 12, 10 and 3. Would love to hear from you - maybe catch up for a beer/glass of wine? (or coffee! or a Tetley Tea!!! haha).

Mark and Lindsay

Hi Mark and Lindsay

The kids go to Illawara Primary and started Monday and are really enjoying it. Thankfully!

We moved house on Wednesday and it was great to be able to hang our clothes up and not be living out of suitcases!!! Still without all our stuff as thats not due to arrive till end of March but we did buy some bits so we now have a sofa, table and a Barbie!!!

We have driven through Snug although not stopped at the beach yet. So many beaches to get too!! Would love to catch up with you. Louise is 11 and in grade 6 so would love to meet your girls. Have pm'd you my numbers.

Debs - how was the interview?

Sally - would love to pop into the shop and say hi, are you in Hobart or Kingston?

Still not got internet at home although its been ordered so still using the library. Can't wait till we all set up at home again!

Emma

Archived