Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

Guest Alan-Hobart

Glad you love the place, Hobart is a gem and so easy to live in.

If you want the best Indian restaurant go to Annapurna in North Hobart.

Fish & chips, the Fish Bar at North Hobart, Sandy Bay & Bellerive, the best is Tas and cheap.

Had a great day out & meal on Sunday, we launched our boat at Bellerive Yacht Club, $100.00 a year for membership you would not get that cheap anywhere else, went to Woodbridge in the Channel. Tied up at the jetty and walked up to Peppermint Bay restaurant. magnificent food, stunning views, superb weather. Meals a bit pricey but they have to be for what is provided. There was a craft fair in Wopdbridge had a look around and bought a few things. Wooodbridge is like stepping back in time 50 years.

Hope all goes well for you in Tas

Alan

Landed in Hobart on Tuesday. My Aussie husband from Sydney got a job here and after 11 years in the UK together I said let's give it a try!

I SAY TO EVERYONE - COME TO TASMANIA. I have been all over Australia but this place is great - it's like the best parts of England 25 years ago with the best parts of Australia now. I must say I am very pleased and just want to thank all the PIO people here that have given me such great advice over the past months.

Only 2 downsides - my bathroom and kitchen are from the 1970's and you can't seem to get the equivalent of 'Flash multi-purpose wipes' anywhere but these seem somewhat insignificant compared to my amazing view and Bert the Bettong in my garden.

Can I make a restaurant suggestion? I had the best Chinese ever at Me Wah in Sandy Bay - Magnificent.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to Sunny Tassie CabagesAhoy! Glad you are settling well & hope all continues on track for you - any advice, be happy to help... We're WNW of Hobart between New Norfolk & Glenorchy... But were down at Kettering...

Thanks for the Restaurant suggestions Alan, I was wondering about taking the Folks to Peppermint Bay, but think it looks a bit pricey, but there might be somewhere else almost as special along that route to Cygnet from Kettering via car!...??

We spent New Year's down at Eaglehawk Neck - just fantastic scenery and company... Saturday evening we dined @ Eaglehawk Cafe listening to a fantastic Bluegrass band while feasting on the cheesy delights from King Island and other more local produce... Next month we'll be back to DO Port Arthur, Remarkable Cave...

Also went down to Opossum Bay, Gordon Dam - all fab, but you have to DIY - also Russell Falls, there are facilities there, but so many places are not like UK or USA with cafes, gifty shops, etc., etc... I even suggest packing your lawn chairs so you don't have to fight off the Jack Jumper's from your sandwiches!

Alan, being not so far from us - any suggestions on where we can find a cheap pick-up truck... Folks are coming in a few weeks & don't want to pay a grand for a hire car, would rather give it to us to buy a much-needed 2nd vech - we need a budget utility vehicle to get up the hill to clear the wood, go to Bunnings, etc., then OH can also use it to get to work & I can use the car to take Folks AROUND, go shopping then get a job... Well you never know - when you haven't got a car, makes even simple things tricky, when you live in the middle of Nowhere!!

Cheers ALL, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Guest IrishPost
...........Can I make a restaurant suggestion? I had the best Chinese ever at Me Wah in Sandy Bay - Magnificent.

My wife and I have toured all over Tasmania and although it is not our home state, we love it.

I was attached on duty to Anglesea Barracks for a month and got to know the CBD of Hobart pretty well.

Anglesea Barracks, Hobart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Talking of food, one of the best seafood restaurants I have ever been to was here,

Drunken Admiral Seafood Restaurant

Cheers.

Guest Alan-Hobart

Cannot give any other suggestions for restuarants as we do not go that way very often but there would be plenty in the area.

As you say a lot of places to go are DIY for food. This raises a point I so often have to make that Australia is a brand new country which does not have all the facilities of UK & Europe with centuries of large populations & development. What has been achieved here in just 200 years from absolutely nothing is staggering. It is not a bad thing not having every shop or product readily available. It has made Australia a nation of very practical "can do" people. Sorry about the sermon.

For a ute you could try Carmart in Derwent Park Rd. Carmart is owned by Motors and they sell their lower priced trade-ins from there. They have a workshop and all the cars are prepared to a standard before sale, they have huge stock.

Also try Hobart City Commercials in Argyle St, their stock would be dearer but they sell a well prepared vehicle and they stand by their products.

Try to buy a Toyota Hilux, they are bullet proof.

Welcome to Sunny Tassie CabagesAhoy! Glad you are settling well & hope all continues on track for you - any advice, be happy to help... We're WNW of Hobart between New Norfolk & Glenorchy... But were down at Kettering...

Thanks for the Restaurant suggestions Alan, I was wondering about taking the Folks to Peppermint Bay, but think it looks a bit pricey, but there might be somewhere else almost as special along that route to Cygnet from Kettering via car!...??

We spent New Year's down at Eaglehawk Neck - just fantastic scenery and company... Saturday evening we dined @ Eaglehawk Cafe listening to a fantastic Bluegrass band while feasting on the cheesy delights from King Island and other more local produce... Next month we'll be back to DO Port Arthur, Remarkable Cave...

Also went down to Opossum Bay, Gordon Dam - all fab, but you have to DIY - also Russell Falls, there are facilities there, but so many places are not like UK or USA with cafes, gifty shops, etc., etc... I even suggest packing your lawn chairs so you don't have to fight off the Jack Jumper's from your sandwiches!

Alan, being not so far from us - any suggestions on where we can find a cheap pick-up truck... Folks are coming in a few weeks & don't want to pay a grand for a hire car, would rather give it to us to buy a much-needed 2nd vech - we need a budget utility vehicle to get up the hill to clear the wood, go to Bunnings, etc., then OH can also use it to get to work & I can use the car to take Folks AROUND, go shopping then get a job... Well you never know - when you haven't got a car, makes even simple things tricky, when you live in the middle of Nowhere!!

Cheers ALL, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks Alan:

We were thinking along the same lines, a Toyota would be Just The Job... Just your basic transportation & log hauler, dinged & dented doesn't matter, so long as it runs good & has a few more years life in the old soul...

Don't really think the age of a country has much to do with the available facilities at it's attractions, after all the pick-up I'm looking for is probably going to be older than many facilities @ lots of Big Attractions! The Masses have only been jetting about since the 60's - the 1960's! And most places have only become visitor magnets in the last 25-years or less, as peeps have had the time & ££$$ to gallivant around, and facilities tend to develop & evolve to meet customer need & expectation, but they don't have to be crass & out of control. No one suggests Hobart or where ever turns into Dubai, where a whole city & all it's cornucopia of exotic attractions & facilities has only emerged in my lifetime! A visitor attraction doesn't HAVE to provide ALL or NOTHING, no one would expect nor want every convenience, EVERYWHERE; but some parking, toilets, interpretation boards & picnic tables would at least recognize the effort people have made to get there, and visitors would appreciate that, feel a little welcomed, add in some food & the ability to buy a local souvinr of their visit would also add to the experience, while in turn injecting valuable cash into a very needy rural economy.

I was just speaking to our Exterminator who often has runs to remote corners of Tassie & for him, as a resident at work he often finds it very difficult to get a decent meal & or good bed in our smaller townships, yet they are described in the Guidebooks, so Out of Town visitors would arrive expecting to be taken care of... I think it's worth giving folk a head's up, that much of TAS is very much a DIY state. Thus, be prepared: buy a primus stove, stock-up at Woolies & throw your hamper, eski, crocks & cultery, folding chairs, etc., etc., in the trunk & enjoy the adventure... Course, also read the small print on your hire car agreement... that long, windy, dusty road to Somewhere Good might be highly praised in the Guides & A MUST SEE, but if it's on a gravel road, might have to think twice... However, I do think Tasmanians are missing a trick with the Tourist Dollar's that must flow into the state & flood back out again unspent...

Guest Colin R

Hi Emma

You can get a Tax file number on line . but if you pop into the tax office in Collins St Hobart they will be able to help you You can do it online there.

Safe journey

Sally

Deborah - We are flying with Singapore Airways and used Simpsons Removals which is local to us in Kent. They were very good and couldn't fault them. Just hope it all arrives as smoothly as it went! Good Luck for April. Where are you going to be staying?

Sally - I did look on-line for a TFN but it seemed to say we had to be in Australia to apply. We'll pop into the tax office when we arrive.

pommielady - we have a 3 week holiday rental booked in Kingston and hope to find a long term rental somewhere between Kingston and Snug.

Thank you

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Forgot to say we are flying with Tiger Airways from Melbourne. We have upped our luggage allowance to 30kg each on Tiger Airways and hopefully that will be enough. OH is shipping some of his tools air freight from here to Hobart airport with Simpsons. They are going a few days before we leave and will get there a few days after - if all goes well.

Emma

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum & hoping to emigrate to Tasmania from France (we're Brits thougth!!). Just read all 27 pages (my head is spinning!!), it's a great thread!! We've never been to Australia but hoping to in September but from what I've seen & read Tasmania sounds the best area for us! In particular Northern Tasmania as it sounds not too hot, doesn't have as many problems with drought / fires, I also have horses & want to have a horse when (if) we move over & it sounds allot greener up there! We also have a baby son & Tasmania sounds very family friends & a great place for kids to grow up.

Has anyone brought a horse over with them? I also read that someone (Can't remember who you are or what page you were on - sorry!) wanted to bring their horsey equipment but couldn't because of the strict import rules? Did I read this correctly? I also read that the costs of keeping horses in Tasmania are cheaper than the UK, however I thought feed / hay was expensive in Australia???

Also has anyone brought their dogs over recently? Just wondering on costs? Is it true that you can't walk your dogs in the National Parks in Tasmania?

Just started looking into a VISA & sounds quite scary, our situation isn't straight forward so think maybe better going via an Agency (OH is S/E with no formal qualifications!), any recommendations?

Any feed back is greatly apprecaited! Thanks in advance.

Guest PommieLady

I also read that the costs of keeping horses in Tasmania are cheaper than the UK, however I thought feed / hay was expensive in Australia???

Also has anyone brought their dogs over recently? Just wondering on costs? Is it true that you can't walk your dogs in the National Parks in Tasmania?

Blimey loads of questions, I've only got a few answers for you.

Horses eat grass :biglaugh:

We brought two dogs over to WA, it was a lot more than it cost to get us over. But have a look at threads regarding this as you will get all the info there. Also moved 3 dogs interstate, depending on how you do it and what airline it can be cheap, as Virgin offer two pets per flight as excess bagage, so it was only the mini dog we had to pay for as freight.

Unfortunately dogs aren't allowed in lots of places, not just here in Tassie. However if you want to keep a horse you are likely to live on at least a few acres so will be loads of space for your dog to do doggie things.

I live in the Launceston area and would be happy to give you more detailed info if you need it or have specific questions, just send me a pm.

Hope this all helps.

:wubclub:

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum & hoping to emigrate to Tasmania from France (we're Brits thougth!!). Just read all 27 pages (my head is spinning!!), it's a great thread!! We've never been to Australia but hoping to in September but from what I've seen & read Tasmania sounds the best area for us! In particular Northern Tasmania as it sounds not too hot, doesn't have as many problems with drought / fires, I also have horses & want to have a horse when (if) we move over & it sounds allot greener up there! We also have a baby son & Tasmania sounds very family friends & a great place for kids to grow up.

Has anyone brought a horse over with them? I also read that someone (Can't remember who you are or what page you were on - sorry!) wanted to bring their horsey equipment but couldn't because of the strict import rules? Did I read this correctly? I also read that the costs of keeping horses in Tasmania are cheaper than the UK, however I thought feed / hay was expensive in Australia???

Just started looking into a VISA & sounds quite scary, our situation isn't straight forward so think maybe better going via an Agency (OH is S/E with no formal qualifications!), any recommendations?

Hi Guys: Welcome to Poms in Oz & All things Tassie!

Yes, about the horse tack, not sure how Competitors manage, but I didn't bring any of my stuff - they are VERY particular about anything which may have come into contact with soil, animals - so even shoes have to be spotless!

Have you checked out my photo albums which include snaps of the North & South & some bits in between. The drought has affected many areas & it's probably helpful to sign up on line to the local papers for Launceston (mid-North) & Hobart in the south. To be fair, it's virtually impossible to get a true feel for the State without a reccie, all the pics & verbage in the world can't compare to being there/here & seeing it from your perspective... I thought the same way till we were actually in Tas, & again, you just can't compare the average rural experience in UK to the that here - there's a world & thousands of years difference, & again you need to be here for a bit to understand the differences & how they might impact your lives... esp with a youngster in tow.

If you want a perhaps simpler lifestyle without lots of pressures from Exceeding The Joneses and you enjoy a relaxed, casual lifestyle, TAS could well suit you. If you enjoy the Great Outdoors, are at home in Wild & remote settings, Tas could be for you. If you don't care about spending all your time in shopping malls & having the Latest Accessory, then Tas could be for you. If you don't mind quiet, un-commercialized beaches but with lots of opportunities for water-born activities, although not always in hot weather, then Tas could be for you... If you are friendly and fairly open, then peeps will respond to that & you will getalong fine... (I was even called Cobber yesterday & got to hear a perfect stranger's recent life history over the filling of my water tank!) Yes, if you are looking to live out of town, can you cope with minimal resources & limited local facilities - it is a reasonably sized area with a very small population, just 500K, so expect life to be quite different from UK, even if superficially it doesn't look so different.

And, yes, it is true dogs are not allowed in the National Parks. There are quite a few beaches where they can run at specific times of the day & year, which is good, should you be near one. Also bear in mind that apart from the Parks (which includes almost 1/2 the State) there are very few Public Footpaths as we are very accustomed to in UK, or even France - there just isn't the History here to support such infrastructures, so you just can't go traipsing off over fields & Bush with your dogs & I'd be very interested to know apart from roads where people get to ride their horses locally.

Where abouts in France are you? If we spoke the lingo, we'd probably be quite happy there too, being that it's somewhat closer to family & many parts of France are fab... Depending where you are, it's probably more similar to France than UK, other than language & driving on the same side of the road, although drivers here could be more like some French, maybe Parisian drivers...!

If you've a complicated Visa, then an Agent could help - check out all the various threads, including Gollywobbler's recent Poll. We used Visa Bureau & they were very efficient (mostly) but you just need to find all your paperwork going back a decade, know where all your sibs were born, have your Life mapped out chapter & verse with proven skills & be prepared to Jump Through All their Many & Various Hoops, part with heaps of cash, and it could take up to a year - or more, depending!... All the best in your quest...

Hi,

I am horsey too but i won't be taking anything horsey with me I will prob sell it on e.bay.

I am hoping to go trekking and maybe to the local riding centre to get my horsey fix and will prob look into getting my own in the futurre.

As Herbster said I dont not know if they have public bridleways like we do.

I am sure that there are horse trails.

We are prob going to Hobart end of April without doing reccie as we got our permanent visa through.

Initially going for a year to see how things work out.

Both appyling for jobs today for the local govt so fingers crossed.

Debs

Deborah - We are flying with Singapore Airways and used Simpsons Removals which is local to us in Kent. They were very good and couldn't fault them. Just hope it all arrives as smoothly as it went! Good Luck for April. Where are you going to be staying?

Sally - I did look on-line for a TFN but it seemed to say we had to be in Australia to apply. We'll pop into the tax office when we arrive.

pommielady - we have a 3 week holiday rental booked in Kingston and hope to find a long term rental somewhere between Kingston and Snug.

Thank you

Emma

Emma,

I am just about to book some short term holiday accomm as there seems to be some good deals because we are arriving in winter!

Where did you find out about your holiday let.

As for long term rental it depends where we decide to settle. I can't make up my mind as to which area just from looking on line.

Must catch up with you when we are there.

We are going emirates from manchester more than likely.

Debs

Guest PommieLady

I dont not know if they have public bridleways like we do.

I am sure that there are horse trails.

I live in a 'horsey' suburb and we have various horse trails around the suburb its self. People also have their own jumps and stuff set up on their land.

Hi Deborah,

I've been in contact with Tim Lovibond at the department of economic development and tourisim who has been very helpful, used to be Joanna Jacobs. His e-mail is tim.lovibond@development.tas.gov.au

What type of accomodation are you looking for? We went for a fully furnised let for3 - 4 weeks in Kingston. Thought it was quite central for where we want to be.

Emma

Thanks Pommielady & Herbster for your replies, very helpful, just checked out your photo's Herbster, they're brilliant!

We are from Brittany, which is very similar to Cornwall, where we originate. It's beautiful here, we're out in the countryside but not too far from a local town BUT we have found it very difficult to intergrate & given it 5 years now! Joined clubs, offered to work for free etc, made plenty of effort, we're pretty friendly people & don't mind mucking in!! I also have a good grip of the lingo now. Jobs are very scarce for me (OH is fine though) & I miss working / contact with people, well if the French can't find work then I haven't got much hope have I!!! My OH seems to be working harder than he did in the UK & not having time for hobbies etc, whilst I'm stuck at home, going insane :arghh:!! Not the life we wanted! Hence the decision to relocate but we've got to be sure it's the right place & we can both work, as well as do the things we enjoy in life & have time with our son & finally be a great place for him to grow up!!!

We're country people & I can tick all of the points you raised! But wouldn't want to be too isolated, like to have at least a small town nearby.

Will have to do some research re bridleways etc!

How long would you say we would need for a reccie?

Thanks again!

Guest PommieLady

How long would you say we would need for a reccie?

It depends if you want to do touristy stuff when you're here.

We came over for five days and only really did house hunting.

You could easily spend two weeks just driving around various spots, or a week at the beach or go bush or up a mountain etc

If you want to get an idea of a particular area for living in then prepare to stay in that area for the week (or more) and avoid tourist stuff, pretending like you live there. If you've got an idea of the area you are considering they'll be someone who can advise you to help you with your decision.

If you've got any specific questions about the north, Launceston in particular send me a pm.

Good Luck

Stef

Hi Deborah,

I've been in contact with Tim Lovibond at the department of economic development and tourisim who has been very helpful, used to be Joanna Jacobs. His e-mail is tim.lovibond@development.tas.gov.au

What type of accomodation are you looking for? We went for a fully furnised let for3 - 4 weeks in Kingston. Thought it was quite central for where we want to be.

Emma

Thanks Emma,

I have been in touch with Tim regualary but I think it has been difficult for him to help me because I am undescive. Ideally we are loking for somewhere similar to you (when you move out we could move in lol)

I don't want to be too far out so was looking for somewhere quite central until we find our feet.

Hobart was on wanted down under today and the couple really liked it.

Not long for you guys now.

Are you wanting to settle in Kingston?

Debs

Found this website today so I have registered.

www.tashorse.com.au

There are some horses on there for adoption.

I am checking out riding schools and horse trails.

My horse died just before christmas but he was old and had a happy end of life with his little fillies!!

Hope to ride again soon in Tas.

Debs

Hi Deborah

This is where we are staying, Hobart Accommodation in Kingston, just 20 minutes from the Hobart City Centre

if you e-mail her she is very helpful.

Not definatly decided on an area although like the look of Kingston, Blackmans Bay, Margate and Snug. Will have a drive around when we get there!

Off to watch Wanted Down Under now on BBC iplayer. Thanks for telling us.

Emma

Hi Deborah

This is where we are staying, Hobart Accommodation in Kingston, just 20 minutes from the Hobart City Centre

if you e-mail her she is very helpful.

Not definatly decided on an area although like the look of Kingston, Blackmans Bay, Margate and Snug. Will have a drive around when we get there!

Off to watch Wanted Down Under now on BBC iplayer. Thanks for telling us.

Emma

your welcome

Archived