Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Joanna and Sally for that information. I have looked at the mecury and as you say it appears romance is the cause of the trouble. Although I hate to do it I have to admit OH was right!!!

Will look at dental insurance - either that or start deducting Kids pocket money every time I see then sucking their thumbs and use money towards dentist fees!

We have our medicals in 2 weeks time, will be one step closer but really nervous so wish us luck.

Vanessa

Guest Colin R

I know what you mean I have trouble to say Colin was RRRRRRRRrrrrrrright. It is so hard to say that. Dont worry about the medicals they are not bad . I was so worked up and got my self in such a state that my BP was through the roof. So dont worry, dont be nervous everthing will be fine.

Sally

Hi Everyone, hope you don't mind me joining in your Tassie thread but I thought you may be the people to talk to! OH is a Printing Team Leader and I have been desperately searching for any info I can find about the printing industry in Tas. No luck so far so I'm guessing that it's not a huge industry there and maybe we are kidding ourselves (hope not!). Any info would be really, really appreciated, but I understand that it's not an easy question :unsure:.

Anyway, thanks for "listening"!

Nemo

Guest Colin R

Hi Nemo,

What sort of printing is your OH in. There a number of printing companies over here. Printing Aurhority Tasmanai www.pat.tas.gov.au . there is pml www.pml.com.au . www.sprintaprint.com.au Even in Kingston we have 3 printing companies.There is another one www.monotone.com.au . www.labelpress.net.au to name a few. these are all in and around Hobart. And of caurse we have The Mercury newspaper.

Drop Joanna an email she has her address on Joanna123 . I am sure that she and the team can help you with any information too.

best wishes

Sally

x

Thank you for that Sally, you're a big help! :notworthy: I'll check out the websites. OH is a gravure printer, which it seems is not that common, but I think he could also do flexographic as he has friends who have switched to that pretty easily. I'll email Joanna too, is it the job side of things that she can help with? I hope she doesn't mind complete strangers bugging her!

Once again, thank you for your help. At last something positive! We have really set our hearts on Tassie as it looks so beautiful and after reading a bit about schools I reckon it would be a great place for our three kids. However, shouldn't jump the gun, don't know if we would qualify yet! Have had some positive online assessments but I'm not sure how accurate they are. Our issue would be with qualifications as OH has years of experience but nothing much on paper. He's thinking of doing City and Guilds level 3 but we have to check it out with an agent to see if it's worth it. He has an NVQ 2 in Business Improvement Techniques but don't suppose that's any good!

Anyway, I'll stop rambling on now, and go and do some housework!

Nemo x (I'm also a Sally!)

Guest Colin R

Hi Sally

I am sure Joanna wont mind . She works at the department of economic development which looks after migrants wanting to and coming to Tassie. She posts on here too but in her own right and not as a member of the team. They are very helpful and worth having a chat with them. We do have a friend who is a immigration agent Charles Camidge he is through www.inbib.com and he in fact was our agent and arranged our visa. He lives over here and may be worth having a word with him too. Although we came over on a business visa he does work with skilled visas There are many migration agent s and I have to say Allen Collett at Go Matilda sounds from his posts to be someone of good , honest and straightforward person who is full of knowledge. I hope everything works out OK, There is also a website called www.tchange.com.au it gives you quite a bit of information about Tasmania. I am sure that if you contact Joanna she will send an information pack out about it over here . If we can be of any help then do let us know

Sally

x

Hello Sally,

Thank you for the recommendations. We have previously had contact with Go Matilda and they were very helpful. This was when we were waiting to see what happened with pathway D. Perhaps it's worth contacting them again now the new MAP is being set up. Checked out your friends website too, very interesting. Got looking at businesses for sale, not that we've ever done that kind of thing before! There were a couple of delivery businesses and now I'm thinking maybe I should go on a business management course or something! Never mind the fact that we'd have no money left to buy a house! :biglaugh: OK, now I'll come down from cloud cukcoo land.:goofy:

Anyhoo, hope I haven't ended this thread. Please Sally and everyone, continue to give us dreamers the pros and cons of living in Tassie.

Sally x

Hi

Vanessa - when are you planning on going to Tassie?? We haven't had our medicals done yet but hopefully in the next month or so. We would like to be there early part of next year if possible just depeneds on the visa!!

Nemo - We've never been to Tassie but think it looks stunning too. We're using Visa Bureau and they've been very good. Joanna is very helpfull.

On Tuesday I met up with a a friend of a friend who lives in Tassie. Originally she came from near Melbourne but moved to Tassie to go to uni in 2001. She has been working and travelling over here for the last 2 years but is going back on the 10th August. She loves Tassie and owns a house in Snug and now can't wait to get back.

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Hi All

Emma - we lodged 175 visa online 25th May. Looking at peoples timelime I'm hoping to get visa in January especially as I am on MODL. We were hoping to get to Tasmania so our son could start year 8 in high school with everyone else but having problems selling house due to credit crunch. I notice you have sold you lucky thing! any tips? Medicals are booked for 13th August. I am quite nervous about them - meant to loose some weight before but never got round to starting diet (Ha Ha). Also had part of my tounge removed 2yrs ago due to pre cancerous cells, have letter from consultant saying all clear and should not have any future problems but can't help worrying. So we will fly as soon as visa here and house sells, hopefully as near to Feb as possible. Keep me posted with your progress.

Vanessa

Hi,

Vanessa - Our 175 was recieved in Oz in Feb but paper based. Timelines seem to be 9-12 months so maybe by end of year!! We were really lucky with selling our house and so glad its gone and now ready to go, don't give up it will sell, we did reduce our price and that definatly triggered the viewers. We hope to go 2 months after our visa is issued to give our stuff a chance to get on its way. Even if not heard about medicals/police checks will probably front load in September.

Does anyone know what the areas of Huonville and Frankiln are like? We can't decide if we want to go rural or coastal!! Also been looking at high schools in tassie and it seems that they only go up to grade 10 and then they have to go into Hobart if they want to do further education. Is this normal?

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Guest Colin R

Hi Emma,

It does seem that most of the youngsters go on to do years 11&12 at college. and as you say they are in Hobart.

Huonville is a good place and Franklin is lovely we quite reguarly go to both. Huonville has certainly grown over the last while and the property prices have increased . Franklin is still alittle behind but there is very little there. there area few shops and cafes but not too much else. Huonville is main town in the Huon Valley and has most of the facilities that go with this.

Rural properties are lovely but they are not the same as living in a rural setting in the UK. They are usually on tank water and everything that you want to do is not near by and more importantly the children can be a liittle cut off. We thought about going out into the country more , but our son works in Hobart and travelling backwards and forwards everyday and on roads that are a bit how should I say little more than farm tracks in some cases. Although the road to Huon and Franklin is very good. We thought that we would get him settled and us get to know the area and the pitfalls. Maybe its me but the Channel doesnt seem as far out nor as isolated as some areas in and around the Huon. Snug, Kettering, Woodbridge, Margate, have the best of both worlds it seems Coastal and in many bit around them rural. Leslie Vale is rural but not too far out its fairly flat to so good pasture. Sorry gone on a bit.

Sally

Hi Sally,

Thank you for your post.

We've had a look at Snug, Kettering, Margate and Woodbridge and they all look really lovely, prices seem reasonable and closer to the sea too. Its so hard picking an area and with so much choice where do you begin!!:chatterbox:

I know we can move when we get there but would like to get the kids settled into school as soon as possible and not keep uprooting them.

Emma

Guest Colin R

Hi Emma

I agree they will have ahad a lot of disruption in moving over here. There are some good schools along the channel most are feeder schools to Woodbridge High, Kingston ( which is getting a brand new school) and Taroona , There are also the senior schools to Calvin , and the Southern Christion College there are many church schools over here.

The apprentice we have working for us went to Margate Primary and then onto Ogilvy Hight School in Hobart (girls school) . She lives in a small place called Nieka which is rural but takes about 10 mins to get into Kingston. So it has not been a problem for her parents to ferry her and her brother to and from places, he pays footie all the time!

Sally

Guest Colin R

Hi Emma

Havent heard of that one down here. But a friend dives so I will have a word with her. She went on a night dive at the weekend around Maria Island in the reserve and from what she said yesterday it sounds amazing.

There was a pod of dolphins playing just of the Kingston Beach over the weekend.

SAllyx

Hello - Mid August and there's snow in the hills around Kettering! :wideeyed: Winter's not done with us that quickly! We've actually had almost 24 hours of intermittent rain, quite unusual, but happy as our tank will be filling up and so no need to buy in any more water - but it has been windy too. Actually had wind from the east, which I suspect was the bearer of the white stuff - just glad I'm only looking at property in the hills today (northwest of Hobart, could be interesting, a: to see if they actually had any precipitation & b: to see what the mountain dirt roads are like after rain & snow... although it hasn't stopped yet! :v_SPIN:) & VERY thankful I wasn't called in to work at the fruit stand!!!

From a Frosty Herbster!

Guest Alan-Hobart

Blue ring octopus can be deadly. Have only seen one which was at Ulverstone in the north of tas about 20 odd years ago.

Blue ring octopus can be deadly. Have only seen one which was at Ulverstone in the north of tas about 20 odd years ago.

Hi Alan:

Welcome to PomsInOz... Good to know about some of the nasties that might be lurking in the water - BUT, is there anything nasty in the woodshed we should be worried about:wacko:??!!

PS - apart from 360-degree electrified fencing, are there any foolproof (Ha!) ways to protect our gardens, veggie patches from the local & voracious wildlife!? And are there any attractive native plants that we can grow that the wallaby's & possums don't find tasty or attractive?? :unsure:

Wild weather we're having, but some meaningful rain which many of us will be grateful for.

Cheers,

Thanks Alan - Great view of the Bridge & the snow! And it's still raining - must be some kind of record... Hasn't Peter just retired, although I'm sure his status as Gardening Legend will out live us all... But gardening is good for the soul as well as the stomach & local Wildlife! (And improves the neighborhood, too!)

I was talking to our local ABC meteorologist last night who said that our winter this year had been colder than recent years, but wasn't so unusual compared to the longer term stats. But it stands to reason that we couldn't enjoy all this stone-fruit bounty, like cherries & apricots if we didn't have the frosty winters... He was saying that horticulturists are trying to develop strains that will crop without depending on frosts, which I suppose might please some cold-blooded peeps (the lack of frost that is)! But we certainly are blessed with many more sunny days than we'd expect in gloomy old Britain, which certainly compensates for the crisper days & frosty nights.

We saw Spider's Web last night at the Hobart rep, (Agatha Christie, of course) very good it was too, if anyone's considering going, a worthy break from popcorn TV... (if we had a TV, that is! :twitcy:) Olympics notwithstanding...

Cheers,

Hi all

We have had a busy few weeks. X rays done - all good. Medicals done fingers crossed looks good. Gone multi agency with house and dropped price so hope to see some action there!

I have a question about renting with a dog. We have two dogs and we will all be gutted to leave them behind. My oldest is a beautiful lab x collie, she is 9yrs old and my baby but due to her age I think it is very unfair to put her through a long flight. My mum has agreed to take her so I know that she will have a good home for life and as much as it will break my heart it is kinder to leave her.

Number 2 dog is a 2yr old long haired terrier, she is a bundle of fun and adorable. The original intention was also to rehome her. But my oh who has always pretended not to be attached to animals has been spotted several times giving her a cuddle and is now suggesting looking into taking her with us. Ha! I always knew he adored them just as much as us! Maisy is young and I am confident will cope with the flight and bounce back after quarantene but as we will have to rent for at least 6mths when we arrive I am worried that it will be a problem finding accomodation. Do any of you have any information about rentals being pet friendly that may help us, or perhaps point me in the right direction to find out?

Thanks

Vanessa

Archived