Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

Guest Colin R

Thanks Joanna. I agree with you and everyone is different. I think that I have settled well because I had been coming here for 20 years in fact had been here 9 times before we had the visa. and we had been visiting my aunt who has sadly passed away so it wasnt like we had been just coming on holiday. I think also we have settled because we wanted to be part of Tassie , its quirky ways, and probably excuse its frustrating part( and that is having to wait for things to come over from the mainland) but any frustrations are forgotten. I still pinch myself bacause I cant believe how lucky we are to live here. My son has settlesdi n so well and has started to get a Tasmanian accent He loves it over here and wouldnt want to go back to the UK , he has made his life over here now and for someone who hated change, lived in the same house all his life until we moved here, left his first girlfried behind ( I still remember the wailing and moaning from her as we left for the airport) he was the one I worried about most . He went to Sydney on a training course for 3 days and when he got back he said I'm really glad to be back home in Tassie. It smells so clean. This is from an apprentice mechanic who looks like an oil slick most days.

You do miss friends and family in the UK but it is amazing how many plan their trip to come over and see you 4 are turning up for Christmas and New Year. I do get a little upset about not seeing people I have 1 daughter and 1 stepson in the UK the oher in Abu Dhabi the worlds a small place now and they can visit and maybe they will fall in love with the place . Joanna's right to come over here and think that you wont miss family and get homesick even just a bit then it is a foolish thought . It happens to everyone even if they wont admit it. But at the end of the day Tasmania is my families home now and we love it . I am going for my first trip off the island in a couple of weeks after 2 years .................to Melbourne thats far enough!

Sally

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Cutches

Hiya all,

Been so busy lately, have not really been able to get a good fix of PIO but just thought I'd let you all know that we've had a breakthrough at last. Still haven't sold the house but have decided to rent it out and a family viewed it yesterday and want it . They signed the rental agreement and paid the fees straight away so it's all systems go! Can't quite believe it's finally happening we're sooooo excited:jiggy:!!!! We're gonna book the flights over the weekend (need a few hours to trawl the best deals) OH handed in his notice in last Monday so we will be in Tassie w/c 15th Sept (aaahhhhh). Mum and Dad are coming too and we're gonna stay in a holiday let with them for their 3/4wk rekkie then that gives us enough time to organise a rental (or even a purchase...... you never know!)

I'll be sending you an email soon Joanna to let you know our exact arrival date and to pick ur brains on a couple of things. Loved your post, just makes me even more excited :goofy:! I've got an address to run by you too Sally if that's ok, saw a fab house on real estate and could do with the low down on the street...lol!

Right well I've just written an extremely long list of items to sell as we're only bringing a few of boxes of personal items and no furniture so guess I'd better crack on with ebay!

Hugz from an extremely excitable

CC

x

Guest Colin R

G'day CC

Good to hear your news and that you are finally on your way. But your over the moon too or is that a real understatment!!!

PM the address and I'll have a look. Anything we can do this end then let us know.

Very best wishes

Sally

xx

Hiya all,

Been so busy lately, have not really been able to get a good fix of PIO but just thought I'd let you all know that we've had a breakthrough at last. Still haven't sold the house but have decided to rent it out and a family viewed it yesterday and want it . They signed the rental agreement and paid the fees straight away so it's all systems go! Can't quite believe it's finally happening we're sooooo excited!!!!

Hugz from an extremely excitable

CC

x

Congratulations on your Great News Cutches, you must be SOOO excited, everything will start to happen so fast for you, it'll be hard to know what's what so Lists are a definite Order of the Day. :yes:

Hope everything ocntinues to go smoothly, time will fly by... All the best, see you in Tas!

Hugs

Hi

Joanna thank you so much for your recent e-mail and your post is great. Please tell more. I have to agree with how friendly Tasmanians are. We have spoken to several Tasmanians by both phone and e-mail and nothing is too much trouble.

Cutches graet news on everything and I'm really pleased that everything is falling into place for you. Good luck with everything and I hope all goes smoothly if not hectically. Hope your list making is going well!!

I just can't wait to be there!

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Hello, just dropped in to introduce myself and tell you my experiences of moving to Tasmania. I had a similar situation to Joanna. I had been travelling on the mainland for some time before flying here for what was supposed to be 3 weeks. As soon as I landed in Hobart I completely fell in love with the place. I was lucky enough to get a visa after 6 months (with some help from Anthony at the Department of Economic Development!) and that was nearly 8 years ago... I am currently back in the UK for six weeks, and have been homesick for Tassie since I've been back here. I fly back home next week and I can't wait!

For me, the lifestyle is unrivalled to anywhere else in the UK or mainland Australia. I am renting property in Oyster Cove, 10 mins to Kingston, 1/2 hour from Hobart and I am lucky enough to have 5 acres and 2 horses kept at home. I couldn't do this in the UK on a regular wage - it just wouldn't be possible. I occasionally miss England, but to be honest, now that I'm here, it is mostly just nostalgia and the fact that I miss friends and family - I actually don't miss the English lifestyle that I had at all.

Great place for those that love the outdoors, open spaces, uncrowded and stunning beaches and not too bothered about living in an oven (I much prefer the seasons and it's nowhere near as cold as the UK in winter!) Mind you, I am a country girl at heart and couldn't be less bothered about the fact that there are no 7/11's and limited nightlife/shops/whatever. Mind you when I do get up to Hobart - not only are there amazing views to enjoy, but a laid back modern city with a slower pace than larger city's, great coffee, breakfast at Salamanca, waterfront dining, world-class sailing on the Derwent, great nights out in North Hobart... The list goes on.

I have managed to build a life from coming here with a backpack, and have never looked back. I have built up my own business and I think that these kinds of opportunities are everywhere here, much more so than the UK (also much cheaper to start up a business). Nowhere is perfect - as the Herbster has said, it just depends what you're looking for... For me though, it's damn close :)

Hello, just dropped in to introduce myself and tell you my experiences of moving to Tasmania. I had a similar situation to Joanna. I had been travelling on the mainland for some time before flying here for what was supposed to be 3 weeks. As soon as I landed in Hobart I completely fell in love with the place. I was lucky enough to get a visa after 6 months (with some help from Anthony at the Department of Economic Development!) and that was nearly 8 years ago... I am currently back in the UK for six weeks, and have been homesick for Tassie since I've been back here. I fly back home next week and I can't wait!...For me, the lifestyle is unrivalled to anywhere else in the UK or mainland Australia. I am renting property in Oyster Cove, 10 mins to Kingston, 1/2 hour from Hobart and I am lucky enough to have 5 acres and 2 horses kept at home. I couldn't do this in the UK on a regular wage - it just wouldn't be possible. I occasionally miss England, but to be honest, now that I'm here, it is mostly just nostalgia and the fact that I miss friends and family - I actually don't miss the English lifestyle that I had at all....Great place for those that love the outdoors, open spaces, uncrowded and stunning beaches and not too bothered about living in an oven (I much prefer the seasons and it's nowhere near as cold as the UK in winter!) Mind you, I am a country girl at heart and couldn't be less bothered about the fact that there are no 7/11's and limited nightlife/shops/whatever. Mind you when I do get up to Hobart - not only are there amazing views to enjoy, but a laid back modern city with a slower pace than larger city's, great coffee, breakfast at Salamanca, waterfront dining, world-class sailing on the Derwent, great nights out in North Hobart... The list goes on...I have managed to build a life from coming here with a backpack, and have never looked back. I have built up my own business and I think that these kinds of opportunities are everywhere here, much more so than the UK (also much cheaper to start up a business). Nowhere is perfect - as the Herbster has said, it just depends what you're looking for... For me though, it's damn close :)

Hi SKA:

Hope you are enjoying your visit home - wonder what your thoughts are on the state of the nation at present? Be interested to compare notes, where are you at pressy?

Guess we're pretty well neighbors, I'll look for you in Kelly's when you get back. Any chance of us buying something like yours, we're renting on acerage at present overlooking Bruny Island & the ferry... but we have to be out New Year's... :cry:

Agree with all you said, but I can imagine Tas wouldn't suit everyone, as their Ideal Home: which is fine as those special, unique qualities would quickly be destroyed by a huge influx of people.... :wideeyed:

But even if you can't think of TAS as your Year Round cup of Tea, certainly put it on your List of Places to visit & explore, to unwind and really take stock of what Life and Living can be all about, as I'm sure it would be a welcome breath of REAL fresh air even for the most sophisticated, die-hard Urbanite...

Love

Tassie Ted, aka: THE

Guest Colin R

Well said Ska. My feelings exactly .Tassie is a place all of its own and everyone I have spoken to that lives here Tasmanians or apprentice Tasmanians say the same nice to go and visit places and back to the UK . But glad to get back home. I cant wait to go to Melbourne next week knowing that the next day I will be coming back home to Tassie and not UK.

Well said Ska. My feelings exactly .Tassie is a place all of its own and everyone I have spoken to that lives here Tasmanians or apprentice Tasmanians say the same nice to go and visit places and back to the UK . But glad to get back home. I cant wait to go to Melbourne next week knowing that the next day I will be coming back home to Tassie and not UK.

Is that the Melbourne Cup, then?!

Have a GRRREEEAAATTTTT Time Sally!

Love & Hugs

Hi Guys, These are great posts. We are waiting for a 175 visa and once granted intend to make Tasmania our home. I was going through one of those phases where I am getting fed up with the whole process, frustrated with our agent etc and questioning if it is right moving our children from good schools and their friends here. I had started to wonder if all this hassle is worth it. After reading your posts I feel a lot more positive, you have reminded me why we want to move and what a better life our children will have. My 9yr old daughter is desperate to have a pony and is working her socks off here learning to ride to an acceptable standard and learning how to care for a pony. Yours posts have shown me that it may be possibe to make her dreams come true in Tasmania and my dream of living a peaceful, stress free life if beautiful surroundings will be reached!

keep the posts coming as I so enjoy reading them.

Guest the terry's

Hi guys, just a quick note to let you lot know that we've applied for sponsorship from the Tasmanian Gov. and hopefully they will. Thanks Sally and Ginny for your help it's been a great help to us, we can't wait to get to Tassie now, fingers crossed.

Big hugz,

Helenx

Guest Colin R

Hi No Melbourne is for the gift and trade fair. Or so Colin thinks............couple of hours in there and then hit the shops!! Dont tell him though. Might try to get to the Melbourne cup in November .

There are some great rides over here . Horses and ponies go down to 5 mile beach and can wade out safely for metres and it only comes up to their knees. Have ridden since I was tiny and had to part with my horses in the UK mainly because of the cost and also lack of land . Riding where we lived wasnt enjoyable anymore with the traffic.

Havent got one over here yet! but it wouldnt be too much of a problem. But with the business and the fact that you dont seem to bounce so well when you get older. It might be a problem if I fell off and broke something. That was the reason anyway. Mind you bit of a joke really because I fell down the stairs a few months ago and broke my leg . Would have sounded so much better fallen off my horse instead of down stairs. !

Horses and ponies are really quite reasonable to buy . Friends have some, he tried the buy 1 get one free ploy havent succumbed yet. It is a great place to bring up children and certainly if they love the outdoors they will have a fantastic childhood .

Ponyclub is fairly big over here and great to get youngsters into.

I too got so fed up in waiting and our Business visa was very quick 5 months the house sold straight away ,exchange rate was 2.42 . Our agent was excellant and is now a friend . I dont know how I could cope with things as they are now . All I can say is Keep your chin up , think positive and life overhere is absolutely worth the wait. Will keep my fingers crossed for you to.

Sally

xx

Louise(10) is horse mad and wants to ride when we get over there so that sounds great. Both our kids love being outdoors so I'm sure that they will love it.

Things with the visa do seem to be taking forever but keep being told to be patient!! It seems like we've been talking about emigrating for years but the house is now sold so once the visa arrives we can go. Hopefully this will be or last school summer holidays in the UK so planning on making it memorable and who knows in September things may be moving again!!!

Tasmania is worth waiting for!!:yes:

Emma:v_SPIN:

Guest Colin R

Hi Emma. Patience was never a virtue I possessed much of. Colin kept telling me it will be OK. It was , hate it when he is rrrrrrrrright.

And you will have Spring and Summer to look forward to over here.

Sally

xx

Louise(10) is horse mad and wants to ride when we get over there so that sounds great. Both our kids love being outdoors so I'm sure that they will love it...Things with the visa do seem to be taking forever but keep being told to be patient!! It seems like we've been talking about emigrating for years but the house is now sold so once the visa arrives we can go. Hopefully this will be or last school summer holidays in the UK so planning on making it memorable and who knows in September things may be moving again!!!... Tasmania is worth waiting for!!...Emma

Hi Emma:

I know whenever you are waiting for something, whatever that might be, it seems to take forever, but it arrives eventually - in the meantime there is loads to DO! Brilliant you've sold the house & don't have that worry which seems to be plaguing everyone else at the mo... But as I've said before, you really can make the most of this opportunity!

We tried to keep ourselves occupied by doing as much as possible there that we clearly won't be able to do now! If there's people & places you've been meaning to see, then NOW is the time to do it, see them, spend time visiting & exploring as near & far afield as you can. Even though we tried to do as much as we could, we still didn't get to see my Uncle & Aunt, that's probably 4/5 years now & they're in their 70's, other friends, I only have 3 cousins, 1 I haven't seen in maybe 20 years, never seen his girls... Bristol, haven't been to London since 1980!!! And then there's all the personal belongings to sort through, organize & toss as appropriate - don't leave it till you've got your Visa! All those photos/magazine: people always seem to have acres of them in shoe boxes, half of them you can't recall who the subjects were, so best check that out before you leave!

Also, if you've not started doing it, the kids will want to sort through their things, what to keep, donate, recycle... Also with the horse stuff, I think there again are strict new rules regarding it, so I'd be very wary about buying any tack that you intend using & if it's new I don't know how you'll prove that... So worth checking into that now.

If your children prefer the outdoors to traipsing around Top Shop (I know she's only 10, but have you seen the age of some of these shoppers?!) then I think they will love it here. There's fresh air and space in abundance, I would have loved it as a kid, all my brothers & sisters would, it's a kid's sized world of Adventure, that they create for themselves... And for anyone slightly creative or artistic, it must be Paradise - the ever-changing skies, amazing shifts in light and tone, wind on water, sails on the breeze, it is a Nature Lover's smorgasbord!

But enjoy the summer, England can be a great place too when you're a kid! (Lots of Adventure Parks :jimlad:)

Cheers

As our lovely Tassie doesn't get a mention that often, I thought it would be good to have a thread where we can keep track of all things Tassie. So if you have Tassie on the brain, or are lucky enough to be there already this is the thread for you:

So, I guess I'll go first. Love Tassie, can't wait to get there. Got 475 visa, can't sell house:wacko:. Live in Bristol now and want to live in either Howrah or Kingston area.

Your Turn...... :notworthy:

CC

x

Do I know You ? Are you my older sister thats getting there before me .

Hi again,

Herbster - I am currently staying in Wantage, close to Oxford and I have felt like a complete stranger in my own country since being back. Part of me loves England (rolling hills, lush green grass, old pubs, history) and part of me hates it. Unfortunately for me it seems that most people I know in England are miserable with their lives and feel powerless to change it. It's either that they're stuck in a rut, or feel that the Governement will find a way to take their money no matter how much they earn and save. I find the feeling here just generally a depressing one - like people feel that they can't get ahead no matter what they do. Plus my experience travelling on the Aussie dollar has been fairly grim - unable to find a room for under sixty pounds a night, transport is unfathomably expensive and going out to eat is pricey and can be risky in terms of quality. Although there are price rises in Australia on food and fuel - it does seem to be more on a par with wages there (Aust.) than here (UK).

Australia I think is a much freer nation - there are less restrictions on everything, transport is cheaper, entertainment is cheaper/more accesible - I just feel like a much freer person... But then I sometimes wonder if that is a personal thing because I have moved away and made my own lifestyle - I might have felt the same if I'd moved to Brighton instead! Also a big factor for me in England is the crowds... Yes, there are some beautiful places in the UK, but in summer those places are completely packed and to me it's no fun to visit them. I walked through the streets of Oxford yesterday and went home in desperation - the streets were more crowded (from tourists) than any street I have ever walked down!

As for horses - Tassie is a great place to keep them but if you're looking at getting horses on your own place down the track, it's a good idea to make sure that you're in a higher rainfall area where there is grass. On the whole it is cheaper to keep horses here than in the UK - but feed and hay prices are double that of England because of the drought. If anyone wants any advice on this issue - fell free to PM me - as I am involved in horse welfare.

Hi Herbster

We are going to use the next 6 weeks of school summer holidays to see friends and family and visit some of the places on the kids lists of things to do. Definalty plenty to do to keep us busy. Now we don't have the house we also have our weekends free!

We did have a big sort out when we sold the house and even leaving some none essentials boxed. But there is still more to do.

Emma:notworthy:

Hi Sally I to had ponies when I was a child. I was fearless and my Mum used to watch with her heart in her mouth embarassing me greatly with shouts of be careful and slow down! My neice is teaching my daughter to ride on her pony, she looks such a little dot on it. The other day she was learning canter, she was loving every minute while I was shouting slow down, be careful!. Then I thought - this is a sign i'm getting old, I had to leave the field before I turned into a nervous quivering heap and annoyed my daughter completely! Pony club sounds great and I will look into this when I arrive.

Emma, where do you intend to settle and what school do you think you will use? It sounds like our daughters have a love of ponies in common and could perhaps be friends.

Ska, I will PM you about best areas for grazing when I have worked out what to do! I'm off to bed now as i'm a nurse and have an early shift tomorrow, getting up has never been a strength of mine!

Guest Colin R

Know the feeling , unfortunately our son is into Motocross and motorbikes have no brains at all!!!! First time I went to see him a helicopter was there picking up someone who had smashed his knee. He hasnt wanted to start riding a shame really.

Colin was a mounted police officer so he rode for a living Not sure that there is a horse quite big enough to take him at the moment so he is now riding motobikes. We couldnt bring any of our tack or equipment over with us apart from boots and riding clothes. All the years of getting things together all the stuff had to be sold and given away which was a shame. All of it is a no-no when it comes to quarentine. Even though Colin was meticulous about the tack and it used to gleam we wouldnt chance it not getting through .Tasmania is more strict than even the mainland. Even our flowers have to be fumigated twice if they are from outside Australia once on arrival in Australia and again when the get to Tassie. Even flowers from Australia have to be fumigated when they get here. I had better get off as I should be going into work

Take care everyone

Sally

x

Hi again,

Herbster - I am currently staying in Wantage, close to Oxford and I have felt like a complete stranger in my own country since being back. Part of me loves England (rolling hills, lush green grass, old pubs, history) and part of me hates it. Unfortunately for me it seems that most people I know in England are miserable with their lives and feel powerless to change it. It's either that they're stuck in a rut, or feel that the Governement will find a way to take their money no matter how much they earn and save. I find the feeling here just generally a depressing one - like people feel that they can't get ahead no matter what they do. Plus my experience travelling on the Aussie dollar has been fairly grim - unable to find a room for under sixty pounds a night, transport is unfathomably expensive and going out to eat is pricey and can be risky in terms of quality. Although there are price rises in Australia on food and fuel - it does seem to be more on a par with wages there (Aust.) than here (UK)...Australia I think is a much freer nation - there are less restrictions on everything, transport is cheaper, entertainment is cheaper/more accesible - I just feel like a much freer person... But then I sometimes wonder if that is a personal thing because I have moved away and made my own lifestyle - I might have felt the same if I'd moved to Brighton instead! Also a big factor for me in England is the crowds... Yes, there are some beautiful places in the UK, but in summer those places are completely packed and to me it's no fun to visit them. I walked through the streets of Oxford yesterday and went home in desperation - the streets were more crowded (from tourists) than any street I have ever walked down!..As for horses - Tassie is a great place to keep them but if you're looking at getting horses on your own place down the track, it's a good idea to make sure that you're in a higher rainfall area where there is grass. On the whole it is cheaper to keep horses here than in the UK - but feed and hay prices are double that of England because of the drought. If anyone wants any advice on this issue - fell free to PM me - as I am involved in horse welfare.

Hya:

Yes, we're certainly singing from the same Hymn Sheet! We feel precisely the same... Even living up North for the 4 years we were up there North of Hadrian's Wall, which was a lot quieter & so much more relaxed and stress-free than say S. Devon - which in the summer is just a nightmare - no parking, crowds, no one's gotta a minute to live or spare, it's horrid & people are supposed to be having fun on their Holly's, but they all seem out for a fight, given half a chance. There's a very real sense of Oppression, which is relentless where ever one seems to live, be it from local/national government, the Press, Media, TV, it's all full of it, and believe me, you wouldn't have felt any different living in Brighton - it's a fun enough place, but it's hectic, busy & prices are sky high from what they were even 4 years ago... Loads of peeps moved out of London to the coast, so it's lost some of it's local appeal, too I think... :swoon:

I would love to have animals again, but water here is obviously an issue - although I don't know that you'd think that today - it's been really wild, cold, sleet, rain all day & gales, typical English March day! And I had to work, so that was a bit of a shock!! Yea, I think our hay is $11.95/bale - does that sound right, I'm trying to remember all the prices! I think fruit trees are actually better value here than UK - although we have to contend with possums & roos & lord knows what else, besides drought.

No, We've lived North & South in UK, city & rural/wilds & I don't think you can escape the things that you are talking about - it is a fantastic country to look at & the History, etc., just it's proximity to Europe is great for me as I love Spain & France - but there's too much rubbish, Life is just like a quagmire, the faster & harder you try the more you seem to be dragged & sucked down into it & we just couldn't take it any more - we don't want much - just, as you say, a degree of freedom to be yourselves & get on with your Life without some horrid bureaucrat breathing down your neck saying you CAN'T!!

Enjoy the rest of your visit, I've got an old college chum near Oxford - Midsiummer Murder Country... if you spot John Nettles, be afraid, be very afraid!! But at least you can look forward to being back homein Tassie soon! :yes:

Cheers, XxX

Hi Herbster..We are going to use the next 6 weeks of school summer holidays to see friends and family and visit some of the places on the kids lists of things to do. Definitely plenty to do to keep us busy. Now we don't have the house we also have our weekends free!..We did have a big sort out when we sold the house and even leaving some none essentials boxed. But there is still more to do...Emma

Cool, Emma:

You can relax then and really enjoy your summer - if the weather cooperates! :wideeyed: Maybe if you have fav tv shows (although I bet they're all Repeats at the mo!), rather than watching them now, record them & watch them in the winter when you're here & you're cursing our TV! The point Ska brings up about living where there is enough water for grass to keep your equines is a good point - I had several guys in today for hay, complaining they didn't have any grass so were having to buy in feed, especially as the weather has turned a bit foul... but water is a very real issue, that many folks in UK don't really have to deal with.

ENJOY! You'll soon be here!

Guest The Cutches

Ur right Sally, I'm sooo excited!! Go to sleep (eventually) with butterflies, wake up with butterflies... but all in a good way! Herbster, you are spot on with the lists, I do have a few, but my main ones is called "panic list" cos every time I look at it I do:goofy:!

We booked the flights on Saturday night and we leave the UK on 14th Sept and arrive on the 16th, so only 8 weeks to go . Catch up soon :cute:

CC

x

Guest The Cutches
Do I know You ? Are you my older sister thats getting there before me .

You'd better believe it bro! Look at it this way, at least you will have us there when you arrive to do ur running around for you (not too much tho' eh!:biglaugh:)

By the way, I just seem older because I'm wiser :notworthy:

xxx

Archived