Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

Hi

Tasormelb we are looking at moving around the Kingston to Snug area but not looked at schools yet. Louise would love to talk to someone else about ponies. Where abouts are you going to and have you looked at schools yet?

Herbster - weather forecast good at the moment but we'll have fun what ever the weather. We've been stocking up on all the cheap DVD's to bring with us! Everytime I go shopping I get another one thats on offer.

WOW The Cutches the next 8 weeks will fly by. Good luck with everything. Have you got somewhere to go to??

Emma:jiggy:

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ur right Sally, I'm sooo excited!! Go to sleep (eventually) with butterflies, wake up with butterflies... but all in a good way! Herbster, you are spot on with the lists, I do have a few, but my main ones is called "panic list" cos every time I look at it I do! ...We booked the flights on Saturday night and we leave the UK on 14th Sept and arrive on the 16th, so only 8 weeks to go . Catch up soon ..CC..x

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS! YOU'RE REALLY ON YOUR WAY NOW! :yes:

DON'T PANIC, YOU'LL BE Ok!

Get the gang on board, set them to list making too, lots of small ones - like Sort Dresser Drawers,

1. Bedroom, master

2. Kids

3. Kitchen (Yuck!!)

4. Garage (Double Yuck!)

But once it's done - it's amazing how much space you'll free up! - but peeps can't mess with them then; you could even pack the lower drawers as you intend them to be moved, just put a label/inventory on the top describing contents... We packed up our suitcases well ahead of time too, as you'll keep going through them,as chances are you'll initially pack too much, or not exactly the right things... It might also be worth thinking do you need to mail yourself some supplies for when you get here, bedding, kitchen tools, essentials. That was our one regret, as it did cost buying all sorts of bits & bobs that I already had. Also, stop buying food! I did about the same time, and still ended up with about 6 boxes full that I had to give away - unless your shippers will let you send canned goods, I think Olive oil is expensive here! It is actually very hard going into Tesco's. or wherever & NOT be tempted by all the BYGOF's, etc., only buy if for sure you'll eat it! And I bet you'll spend a lot of time eating at friends, family, so you really do need to pare stocks right down! All that stuff in the bottom of the freezer... & don't forget to check right at the very top of cupboards, we've often found previous peeps stuff in virtually inaccessible places that they'd clearly forgotten about...:err:

Don't forget the tools & garage. As everyone knows, we cleaned virtually everything to an inch of its life, but on retrospect,the tool boxes only had a cursory going over - for anything obvious. But now that OH has a SHED (about the size of a large swimming pool) we were quite amazed how much crap was in them & had Ms Inspector checked those closly I don't think she'd have been too impressed! & OH would have been sick if all that had been confiscated or we were charged for cleaning all those screws, nails & washers...

You've probably sorted all this already, but it might help folks further back down the line!

Cheers

Guest The Cutches

Hiya....thanks for the tips Herbster, it defo all helps(especially as I am such a foodie!) We're not taking much, and are quite lucky really as we don't have to worry about shipping as my parents are gonna hold onto the boxes of stuff we do want and ship it either with theirs or my brothers (it's a race who gets there next...lol) as it will just be ornaments, photo's and personal bits and bobs so nothing we can't live without for a while.

Hi Emma, we're not sure exactly what we're doing when we arrive yet, still waiting for some laid back Tasmanians to return our emails! We're either gonna get a holiday let for a couple of weeks and then look for a rental, or just go straight for a rental from realestate.com (as long as it is short term). Thing is we're not sure whether we will end up in Howrah or Kingston. We were decided on Howrah last year but then Sally told us about Kingston and it sounds lovely there to so we'll check out the schools first of all to help us decide... I'll keep you posted! When do you expect to get there? BTW, please don't tell me that British DVD's work in TAS, we sold all of ours for next to nothing in car boots last summer cos we heard they weren't compatible!

CC

x

Guest Colin R

Hi

Just to say some DVD's do and some dont.! We brought a DVD player with us from the UK. But have had to buy one from here to. Wouldnt you have thought that they all would be the same!!!!

Sally

xx

Hi

Just to say some DVD's do and some dont.! We brought a DVD player with us from the UK. But have had to buy one from here to. Wouldnt you have thought that they all would be the same!!!!

Sally

xx

Good Point Sally - I had/have a multi UK/USA recorder player so hopefully when I finally get a TV I can watch some old favs! There's something about the quality of the HD recorder, that effects whether it will view on your particular TV! So even here your recorder has to be compatible with your viewer (ie some brand new TV's won't play from an older player/recorder) - you'd think it'd be easy but it's actually quite confusing - it is all different to UK! Might have to do some techy research beforehand... :radar:

Cheers

X

Guest Colin R

ah just to be smart we brought a TV with us . It couldnt get Aus TV but it could get Austar and plays DVD's

Guest Colin R

Actually the only reason really that we brought a TV with us is because our son is addicted to (or was) playstation games and we thought that it would keep him happy!!! It blew up but he got a girlfriend!!!

Guest Colin R

Hi Emma.

TV should work it wont I dont think pick up the local channels but ours was OK with Austar and DVD . Strange how some work and some dont, It gets too technical for me I can switch them on and off and thats about it. Austar s OK it even has Eastenders, Emmerdale and Coronation street on it to name a few. Mind you they are all behind the UK. Not that I watch them of course and friend told me?! We have it for the motor and bike racing or so I am told. Men and their toys.

Sally

Guest Colin R

Colin and our son love Motorsports of any sort and go up to Symmonds Plains ( race track) regularly . They have the V8 supercars there and various others. Colin is off to Phillip Island for the Moto GP when its on. Good thing about it over here is that it is cheaper to go and watch it. We came from fairly close to Silverstone but to go there was a ridiculous cost. for any forms of racing let alone F1

Guest The Cutches

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any party venues for kids (aged 10-11 years old) around the Hobart area. It is our daughters birthday 4 days after we arrive and in a moment of madness (when she was crying about leaving her friends last night), I said that she could have a birthday party maybe a week or 2 after her birthday, this didn't really help much as she pointed out that she wouldn't have had chance to get to know her new classmates well enough to know who to pick, so in a further moment of madness I said she could invite the whole class.

I then went on the web to try and find party venues and couldn't find anything and we can't have a do at home cos we'll be in a short term let ( and that prospect is far too scary!)

I was wondering if there was a fun restaurant that was good for kids parties, or a venue where we could maybe have a disco...... any pointers would be most gratefully recieved:wacko:

love

cc

x

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any party venues for kids (aged 10-11 years old) around the Hobart area. It is our daughters birthday 4 days after we arrive and in a moment of madness (when she was crying about leaving her friends last night), I said that she could have a birthday party maybe a week or 2 after her birthday, this didn't really help much as she pointed out that she wouldn't have had chance to get to know her new classmates well enough to know who to pick, so in a further moment of madness I said she could invite the whole class...I then went on the web to try and find party venues and couldn't find anything and we can't have a do at home cos we'll be in a short term let ( and that prospect is far too scary!)...I was wondering if there was a fun restaurant that was good for kids parties, or a venue where we could maybe have a disco...... any pointers would be most gratefully recieved...love

cc..x

Well, Hate to rain on your parade - I mean Birthday, but if you were in UK I'd have to say Woodlands, Dartmouth S. Devon, or Twin Lakes, Melton Mowbray of the other place my brothers' own in Nottingham forest area (Wonderland??)! But I'll bet Sally knows! (NOT Mickie Dees, PLEEZZZEEE!!) I'll try & find out too if we're at Salamanca tomorrow... :idea:

Love Herbster X

Guest Colin R

Hi CC

There is a bowling Centre at Moonah 62729810, There is also Woodys skate centre in Glenorcy www.woodysskatecentre.com.au 62737700. There is also Putters adventure golf . I'll ask around tomorrow as Susan at work has a daughter that age.

Sally

Hi CC

There is a bowling Centre at Moonah 62729810, There is also Woodys skate centre in Glenorcy www.woodysskatecentre.com.au 62737700. There is also Putters adventure golf . I'll ask around tomorrow as Susan at work has a daughter that age.

Sally

I was going to suggest ice skating in Glenorchy too! (my nieces always loved that.) Course a beach party might be fun too - can't do that in UK very often, or going to one of the local wildlife centers with a picnic, or even a picnic on top of Mt Wellington! :spinny: I think here you'll find it's much more what you ALL make of an event rather than having it all provided for you at a venue, but it could still be fun if you come up with a theme and everyone goes along with it. We saw three fairys walking down the street on our way back from Salamanca this afternoon - & NO! - it was a mom & her two daughters in pink wings... Yesterday I had a girl & her older bro come into the shop wanting pumpkins & swedes for carving for a party she has having today... It reminds me of when I was a kid & mother compiled a book of hundreds of things to do with your kids (being that we was reaaaallly poor, there was a tribe of us & had no choice but make things out of old loo rolls (if we had any!) & newspapers -(if they weren't on our beds!!) or cereal boxes, (if they weren't on our feet!) And I always said to her she should have published it, as it was a bible for doing lo-budget FUN stuff with kids, rather than spending a fortune on store-bought toys & games, but Hey ho! she opened a theme park instead, as so many folks don't want to DIY; just rather not have the hassle... So she's still coming up with ides for kids to spend quality time without spending a fortune! :v_SPIN:

Maybe your daughter can invent her own themed Birthday Celebration...?

Hope it all works out!

X

Guest Colin R

Had a word with Susan her daughter is 10 . They live in Margate. She said that the Woody place is popular there isnt too much in Kingston area for that age group but the Kingston Swimming Pool have parties there . Can still be chilly in September and October as it is just into Spring gets a bit windy in October too. Although saying that neighbours were having a barbeque today and it the middle of Winter!

Sally

Guest The Cutches

I looked at the Woody's website and it looks ideal so I think we might go for that. We've had a mixture of venue parties and DIY parties over the years but this year is gonna have to be at a venue if I'm to stay remotely sane:goofy:...lol. Just one more thing, I did tell her that she could invite the whole class but I don't know how big the class size will be yet and it is $15 per head so just incase it is a big class (I know at one of the primary's in Howrah they mixed year 5 & 6 into one classroom) would it be acceptable to invite say just the girls or would that be seen as a bit mean? I would hate to start off on the wrong foot and be known as 'the tight arsed pom'! lol :twitcy:

CC

x

Guest Colin R

No I think that if it was me I would just invite the girls !! I dont think anyone would think badly of you in any case. Pleased Woody sounds OK and its not too far out of Hobart.

Sally

x

Hi

We all went to the dentist last week and the dentist has refered Louise to the orthodontist. I told the dentist we was hopefully emigrating soon and she advised that we go to the orthodontist over here to get a referal letter and then wait for treatment to start there as dentists are better in Oz. Does anyone know anything about dentists? I'm assuming that its going to cost us a fortune!! but can you get insurance to cover it? and do you pay basic dentist costs for children?

Sorry for all the questions.

Emma

:wacko:

Guest Colin R

You can get private health cover for dentistry it covers you up to a limit . It depends on what cover you take out. Medibank, St Lukes, and MBF are 3 of the private health companies it may help you to google these I cant remember the web site address. when we arrived here we joined Medibank . They do not cover a pre existing condition until 12 months have passed. I dont know if this applies to Dentistry. As far as I am aware you have to pay for Childrens dentistry. I have just spoken to our sons girlfriend (17) she has had braces for a while she is still at school none of the treatment was covered by Medicare and the bulk of the cost was picked up by the private health cover.

Some companies are waiving the 12 month rule so it is worth shopping around for cover. We pay $250 per month for full cover. There are a number of very good dentists and orthodontists

Sally

Hi all

Emma sorry for delay in reply, am working nights as school hols so am starting to feel worse for wear with lack of sleep! The ward is so busy at the moment it feels like standard of patient care is compromised more and more and although I love my job politics of NHS can be soul destroying. I can't wait to see how the system in Oz works. I have only looked at schools on internet and Taroona primary and high school sound very appealing. To get a place you have to live in catchment so will look at renting initially around that area but to buy will widen search area to Kingston, Snug etc. I will work at Hobart Hospital so want live within 30min commute. My 12yr old son is going to have first appointment for braces next week and like you I am very interested in the cost of this in Oz. My daughter will also have to have braces in future as years of thumb sucking have left its mark!

Sally, you may feel this is a daft question but will ask anyway. I have been reading the Tasmania Mecury on line and was a bit concerned about reports of fighting between gangs. OH says ignore it as story probably blown up to sell papers etc. I know crime happens in all areas but story has placed a seed of doubt in my mind. Are there any areas in/around Hobart that should be avoided?

The Cutches, The time to fly will soon be here! Good luck with the move.

Hi Guys - in my personal view, that story was a huge over-reaction. That sort of thing is almost unheard of in Tasmania. I would imagine it was a couple of kids in their cars who let things get a little out of hand, also due to unexperience.. I may be wrong, but I have never seen or heard of 'gangs' in Tassie. If you had said Melbourne, well more so.. Keep reading the Mercury, you'll see it's a rarity.

Braces - total cost is usually around $5K (AUD). If you have private medical insurance with one of the bigger companies, my understanding from at least two of them is, they pay a maximum of between $2 and $2.5K in total, but these totals are capped each year (so a max of $800 is paid out per year for example). Hope this helps. Joanna (joanna.jacobs@development.tas.gov.au)

Guest Colin R

Firstly Schools. Taroona is a nice school. I know cityboy went to have a look at the primary school when he came over for a rekkie and he thought it was good. Hopefully he will see this and reply. I had one of the pupils at the shop on work experience . Nice . polite pleasent girl and I think that this is the general rule not the exception. Children from Kingston, Blackmans Bay, Huntingfield and Margate go to Taroona as well so there is a fairly large catchment area. I suppose they have to have as their are quite a few schools in and around Kingston. Certainly for Primary Schools anyway.

Now for the gang fighting. Please dont believe everything that you read in the Mercury, much as I like reading it you cant even trust the numbers are right that they put in for the Tattslotto!!!! I would not have moved here from the UK (having been married to a UK police officer who had been at the sharp end for all of his 28 years service ) to a place that had a problem with gang fighting especially bringing a 16 year old son, who up to then has had a sheltered life in a small market town at a private school. Dads a policeman. We knew everyone and everyone knew us so even if he wanted to step out of line he couldnt because we would know before he did it. Tassie is such a small place really. much the same principle applies.

A report again in the Mercury the following day said it wasnt gang lead but was a dispute over a girl. We do have problems over here , Hooning, alcohol and drugs , but they are nothing compered to any other city that we know. There are areas that I wouldnt want to live but thats because they are built up a bit and there are problems in these areas. There are some very very good people live in them but there are a few as is everywhere that cause problems which means that everyone is tarred with the same brush. As for crime over here yes we have it but not frightening daily serious crime. Most of the crime problems and offences come out of those areas. With all due respect to the police over here and our best friend is one of them. They dont have too much to do and they certainly would find it a lot different to working Melbourne , and Sydney and certainly the UK. Most of the time they are out sorting out traffic related offences . Speed enforcement being one!! If you PM I will let you know the places I would avoid. There arent any over this way in Kingborough. So dont worry but you are wise to be cautious and ask because its a long way to come and move to.

Sally

Archived