Do you love Tasmania ???

Guest The Cutches

Guest melissa
We was in tassie in But summer and it was bloody cold.I'd love to live there it is a wonderful place.

If we could have found a small business for sale we liked we would have given it seriouse thought.

Been every where but WA and posslie think Tas is the bets in most ways

John

Are you still coming back to Brixton or have you changed your mind and maybe thinking of trying Tasmania. It looks and sounds lovely but i get the impression there is not enough work there.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Colin R

Safe journey too Cityboy. Look forward to meeting you .

best wishes

Sally and Colin

Guest Bonzer Sheila

Hello all you lucky people!

We lived in Oz for 3 years (2001 -2004). We were based in Sydney but were lucky enough to travel extensively…returned home to the UK broke. My husband has and aunt and uncle and cousins living in Tasmania and we were fortunate enough to do 2 touring holidays out there.

I can’t tell you how beautiful the Cradle Mountain National Park is…and the wildlife! We were filling up at a service station and a guy pulled up next to us in a ute…there was a wombat on his passenger seat with it’s front paws on the dashboard: Turns out it had been hit by a car...he’d nursed it back to health but it had not wanted to return to the wild…just like being around humans!

How extraordinary is The Bay of Fires and how exquisite is the Tasman Peninsula. Port Arthur…such tranquil beauty and stillness with a history of such misery and pain. How truly stunning the Tamar Valley is (and we live in our UK version!). Launceston still has a fountain originally meant for Launceston, Cornwall; in a fabulous civic park. Hobart is bustling with historic buildings, a fabulous waterfront…enjoy an outdoor breakfast at Salamanca Place.

Tassie brews the best beer in OZ…the water is so good; Boags in the north and rivals Cascade in the south. Who cares about the Cadburys Tour we did the brewery one instead…the staff were so friendly and laid back…they didn’t mind our boys sharing their sunnies with the famous tigers. Please see gallery! Wine Glass Bay on the east coast and fairy penguins at the bottom of the garden in Bicheno! And so much more…..

It is truly a clean, green and very pleasant land.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Herbster

Glad everything's going well and good luck with the move.

Glad you've found somewhere to stay.

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Hi Emma: :jiggy:

Sorry I missed your Post - been Homeless for a few weeks now which plays havoc with the email accounts! How are things with you guys? :twitcy:

Yes we have found a rental south of Hobart with views of the water, so should be a good start & quiet, as we like it that way! But we couldn't have done it without the friends we have made there, so special...

Has anyone else rented> I need to transfer Electric & Phone, so wondered if anyone knows the procedure.... It's only till January as the owners want it back then... And as I've mentioned before - Renters Beware... The small print, there's mountains of it!!

Take care all

Love from Sunny Dorset, :spinny:

HX

Guest Elizabeth Lilly

Wow, you really love Tassie. wonderful to hear... We live here on the east coast and we're heading home for a holiday hopefully soon. Have been thinking of house swapping for a while, with someone in Yorkshire or Gloucestershire. A risk though, isn't it? Not sure how it'd work. Winter's setting in - my favourite time of year. Cheers, Liz

Hi Herbster,

Glad you're getting there with everything and the Tassie dream is getting ever so closer. Must be a reasurrance to know you've got somewhere to stay.

Wish you all the very best in the coming weeks and hope all goes smoothly.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

PS who are you flying with?

Emma

Guest Elizabeth Lilly

Hello and greetings from Tassie. It does get cold here. Hobart gets snow on MT Wellington and can get as cold as UK but it's a lovely city and easy to live in. The summers are beautiful in Hobart. perfect. Tassie generally is one of the safest places for children although all the usual precautions have to be taken as with anywhere. The west coast is probably the most undesirable weatherwise and in almost every other way. We used to live there and got sick of the rain.... The scenic beauty in tas is unparalleled - to die for. Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au and Real Estate for Sale, Rent and Share @ Domain.com.au are excellent real estate sites for housing. Rents are becoming somewhat scarce especially in the cities, with the rise in interest rates for buyers. The pace is far slower than on the mainland. No-one rushes here. The food is the best in the world - King Island cream is exquisite; the cheeses are superb; vegies all excellent and of course fruit. There are many advantages in living in Tas. Just keep enough $$ in reserve so you can go home when you get those pangs, because believe me they will happen. God bless, Liz

Guest The Cutches

Hi Liz, thanx for your post, love hearing bout TAS but the wait is...:arghh: doing my head in!How long have you been there yourself?

Good luck with the move Herbster, you must be sooooo excited!!! Have you booked your flights yet?

Even tho' we are still waiting to get the house sold, I do have some good news.... my parents and my brother & his wife have all decided to move to TAS to... how fab is that..:jiggy: no sad goodbyes..........yey!!!

CC

x

Guest talisman
Hi All:

Just to keep you updated on the Bear's Progress! Our belongings are safely in the hands of the container company & on their way to Hobart! Can't believe it really... I shall write another post when I have a chance - in ELy Library @ mo doing this! As I need to share some Helpful Hints... However organised you are, on a scale of 1-10, 8 being us, really, it was much harder than we anticipated & we are still exhausted... :SLEEP:But Bonner's were great, so very impressed with them...

However, on the Good News Front we have found a temp home south of Hobart, but trying to exchange Lease Contracts & $$ is NOT easy when you don't have ready access to the internet!!! Also to let folks know they can only reach ome on goolge mail now!!

Good Luck - Tassie Here we Come.... :jiggy:

Love Herbster X

Hi Herbster, good luck and all the best on your move to Tas, hope everything works out. :jiggy: Bet you are excited?:yes:

Take care, keep us posted

Jane x

Guest Elizabeth Lilly
Hi Liz, thanx for your post, love hearing bout TAS but the wait is...:arghh: doing my head in!How long have you been there yourself?

Good luck with the move Herbster, you must be sooooo excited!!! Have you booked your flights yet?

Even tho' we are still waiting to get the house sold, I do have some good news.... my parents and my brother & his wife have all decided to move to TAS to... how fab is that..:jiggy: no sad goodbyes..........yey!!!

CC

x

Hi again Cutches, we've been here 7 years now. Have you managed to get any images on the web? Bay of Fires is just spectacular - and Cradle Mountain is gorgeous too. You'll have lots of exploring to do. Hope all your dreams come true... Cheers Liz

Guest talisman
Hi again Cutches, we've been here 7 years now. Have you managed to get any images on the web? Bay of Fires is just spectacular - and Cradle Mountain is gorgeous too. You'll have lots of exploring to do. Hope all your dreams come true... Cheers Liz

Hi Liz, just wonderd do you have any photos you could upload and share with us?

Thanks jane :wubclub:

Guest The Cutches

Hi Liz,

We had loads of Tassie links & a bookmark called 'motivation' with loads of wonderful photos etc but our computer got replaced and we've lost them all :cry: When we were over last year we mainly stayed around the Hobart area to do our fact finding but we did have a day out at Coles Bay visiting friends which was lovely, can't wait to get back there and spend more time exploring.

What area did you settle in?.... We're still undecided but we think either Kingston or Howrah.

Good idea about the pics Jane, would be fab to drool over til we get there hey!!

Cc

x

Guest Bonzer Sheila
Hi Liz, just wonderd do you have any photos you could upload and share with us?

Thanks jane :wubclub:

Hi there

Don't know if you'd be interested but I have a few Tassie shots in my photo gallery. I envy you going to that lovely island State; if the work was there for us we'd go too.

Best of luck!

BS

Guest Elizabeth Lilly

Hi everyone - ashamed to say I don't have any scenic type photos and don't even have a digital camera - HOWEVER - take a look at Tasmania, Australia holidays - accommodation, travel activities, itineraries, maps - it has some gorgeous photos. We live on the east side not far from St Helens. Take a look at Bicheno (pronounced Bish-eno - emphasis on the Bish). It is so beautiful. Freycinet is breathtaking too - pronounced Fray-si-nay, emphasis on the Fray). The best thing about Tassie is its low crime rate. Nowhere near the crime on the mainland but sadly it is increasing in the cities. At least there's not a drug dealer in every school playground.. Cheers Liz

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Herbster, good luck and all the best on your move to Tas, hope everything works out. Bet you are excited?...Take care, keep us posted..Jane x

Hi Jane:

Just to touch base, we are here and pretty well sorted! Well, we virtually did all the important stuff in a day - Insurance/Tax #, Medicare, Driver's Licenses, bank accounts - brilliant - that's the ease & convenience of Kingston for you. :yes: We even found a great deal on a new car, with $1K Free fuel thrown in... there are pluses to arriving in June, as it's the end of the Tax Year so many stores are trying to unload excess stock: so lots of deals to be had... if you don't mind shopping & traipsing around a bit! We are waiting to hear about our container, was due in on the Queen's Birthday, so hope to be hearing of its whereabouts any day. Our rental is in a stunning position, but looks as if we may be out of water - not so good - anyone know about water tanks & who's responsible for keeping them filled & how do you know if they need cleaning & I don't think we should pay for that as we are only there till Xmas when the owners claim it back... :goofy:???

Also, it's quite chilly of an evening, central heating would be good..... Can't wait to move in, as we are sooooo tired of living out of a suitcase, we dream about our bed, hope it's safe & sound...

Cheers

Guest The Cutches

Hiya Herbster, congrats on getting to Tassie safe and sound and being so organised! :notworthy:

I can't imagine how fab (and tiring!) it must be when you finally arrive. Hope you get your water tank prob sorted soon, take care and keep us posted on all things Tassie! :v_SPIN:

CC

x

ps what type of car did you go for? we still can't decide what we want.

Howz it Goin'?

We were really hoping that our container would have arrived in Hobart by now, as it was due in on Monday... but called GRACE today, & they say another week or so... Bit disappointed as we are paying rent and are sooo tired of living out of the suitcases.... But eternally grateful to our friend's generosity & hospitality.

As we know the original ship is back in the English Channel already, we were all excited thinking perhaps our stuff was being inspected already!!! But No! Apparently the ship's all go to Singapore to be off-loaded & depending on typhoons, tempests and shipping schedules as to how long before your shipment hits the decks of a Tassie-bound vessel.... Then it winds it merry way to Burnie... Where it hops the train south to Hobart - which has derailed twice in the past week - to, if all goes well & the Container Gods are on our side - arrives at Crown's quarantine inspection facility where at some point in time our shipment will be inspected... So patience is a virtue, if not an absolute necessity!!

As for the water, being that our yard-tape is somewhere on the high seas, we improvised using string & a handy stone from the garden, we measured the water in the tank... It must have provided endless entertainment & local musing, trying to figure out what that chap was doing on top of his water tank with string & a camera! Pommie Freaks!!! :goofy: But we figure there's about 1' of water in an 8' tank that seems to have a circumference of 20 arm lengths! 60'??? While my brain fries trying to figure that out, we found a water cartage man on the hill opposite & for $85 will get 2000 gallons of water delivered (hopefully) into our tank...:twitcy: The phone should be on, Monday... We actually had a shower over night, but otherwise continues to be very dry. Considering the time of year is comparable to December, it gets dark around 5pm, & today was fab, about 17 degrees, although the wind came in very strong after lunch - & NO we hadn't been eating beanz!!

Byee for now!

Hiya,

Glad you've made it safe and sound and hopefully you now have water.

Weather sounds lovely as the forcast for here tomorrow is 15 degrees!!!!

Hope your container arrives soon. I can't decide whether to ship everything or just those important sentimental bits and bobs and buy when we get there.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Did you have jobs waiting for you when you got there??

Emma

:v_SPIN::v_SPIN:

Hiya, Glad you've made it safe and sound and hopefully you now have water...Hope your container arrives soon. I can't decide whether to ship everything or just those important sentimental bits and bobs and buy when we get there....Keep us posted on how things are going...Did you have jobs waiting for you when you got there??Emma...

G'Day Emma:

Yes, we have water, 2K gals:$80=£40, father thought that expensive, I've never paid for water on a meter, etc., so wouldn't know, but we are going to be XTRA careful, as that doesn't sound like much water to me. The phone went on this morning, I think it could be more than you're currently paying, so we got a package with the mobile via Telstra, but we are considering the wireless that's available where we'll be, as folks are saying it could be cheaper... Gorgeous sunny day, started out with a hard frost, & in the valley's coming up to Sandfly, there was still frost in the bottom at lunch time... Considering we are coming up to the shortest day, certainly can't complain about winter weather -- yet!

:yes:

I'm thinking of doing a piece about the whole moving experience, as we wish we'd bought more, (office desk, bike, electiricals, crooks, pots/pans, utility items, bookcases... bone china... although they must be well packed!) stuff seems a lot more expensive & as it's a small island, you might not get the variety or options that you are used to. Just bare in mind that people at the beginning of the application process need to consider this carefully, as Customs will tax you on purchases under 12months... So if you are thinking of replacing old bits now's the time to do it. Also, antiques & old furniture needs to be carefully scrutinized for the dreaded wood worm, deathwatch beetle.... etc.!! It can be treated, but you ought to do it ahead of time to be sure it's ok & keep all associated paper work... Even so if the officer on duty when your's is checked has a hangover then he might see wood worm where there is none!!! Course, it would be good if the container arrived when they said it would... Have no clue where it is... :wacko:

Cheers,

Hiya,

Definatly think you should write about your moving experiences.

Still can't decide what to do about shipping. Had a quote for sending whole house and one just for our personal bits.

Glad you have your phone and water.

Emma

:cute:

Guest Colin R

We arrived in Tassie July 06 and brought everything from the UK we had a 40 ft High cube container. It was packed to the roof and my advice to you would be to bring everything if it dosent fit in your new home over here then you would get a better price for selling 2nd hand here than you would in UK . If you have a container then it is silly not to fill it. As for buying new things in the UK . We did but took them out of the boxes and packed them as if they had been used. Bedding I think is expensive over here and it is good to get stocked up with that.

We had all our items packed by the shippers and only had a couple of breakages. the Antiques which did not have any problems with were fine too. we had to have no certificates and they went through the customs and quarentine no problems .The chain saw had to have a certifiate to say that it had been cleaned. the only problem was with 2 crates that was used to pack 2 items as the shippers used new wood and it had not been treated . the crates had to be fumigated at a cost of $250 . this was paid back to us by the shippers. The container took 10 weeks to get to Tassie. There is no guarentee by shippers as to the exact date the container will arrive in Tassie and certainly no guarentee as to when it will be released unfortunately we had 2 motorbikes in the container and this held it up because Customs couldnt work the duty out. I could not see the point in having the container not filling it and giving stuff away in the UK only to have to go out and buy it when we got here.

Tasmania and Australia iare not a cheap places to live we didnt move over here for that reason BUT it is a great place to live and you have to take the rough with the smooth. Sure some things seem expensive but not because we keep converting back to UK but because they are expensive in regard to $AUS . We stopped converting back after we had been here a couple of weeks. it dosent help at all . We live in Tasmania and we are now Tasmanian and to that we think Tasmanian. I used to come over to here to see my aunt over many years she gave me advice 2 pieces of which were When you move out here bring everything and I mean everything she moved in 1964 and didnt she regretted it all those years. 2 nd piece was I used to say to here its so cheap over here compered to the UK.( this was when the $ was 2.45 to the pound!!!!! )She said when you get here dont convert back all the time to the UK . It isnt England and youll soon learn. I did and have. But I wouldnt live anywhere else

Sally

We arrived in Tassie July 06 and brought everything from the UK we had a 40 ft High cube container. It was packed to the roof and my advice to you would be to bring everything if it dosent fit in your new home over here then you would get a better price for selling 2nd hand here than you would in UK . If you have a container then it is silly not to fill it. As for buying new things in the UK . We did but took them out of the boxes and packed them as if they had been used. Bedding I think is expensive over here and it is good to get stocked up with that.

We had all our items packed by the shippers and only had a couple of breakages. the Antiques which did not have any problems with were fine too. we had to have no certificates and they went through the customs and quarentine no problems .The chain saw had to have a certifiate to say that it had been cleaned. the only problem was with 2 crates that was used to pack 2 items as the shippers used new wood and it had not been treated . the crates had to be fumigated at a cost of $250 . this was paid back to us by the shippers. The container took 10 weeks to get to Tassie. There is no guarentee by shippers as to the exact date the container will arrive in Tassie and certainly no guarentee as to when it will be released unfortunately we had 2 motorbikes in the container and this held it up because Customs couldnt work the duty out. I could not see the point in having the container not filling it and giving stuff away in the UK only to have to go out and buy it when we got here.

Tasmania and Australia iare not a cheap places to live we didnt move over here for that reason BUT it is a great place to live and you have to take the rough with the smooth. Sure some things seem expensive but not because we keep converting back to UK but because they are expensive in regard to $AUS . We stopped converting back after we had been here a couple of weeks. it dosent help at all . We live in Tasmania and we are now Tasmanian and to that we think Tasmanian. I used to come over to here to see my aunt over many years she gave me advice 2 pieces of which were When you move out here bring everything and I mean everything she moved in 1964 and didnt she regretted it all those years. 2 nd piece was I used to say to here its so cheap over here compered to the UK.( this was when the $ was 2.45 to the pound!!!!! )She said when you get here dont convert back all the time to the UK . It isnt England and youll soon learn. I did and have. But I wouldnt live anywhere else

Sally

Sally's right as usual, Emma, on all counts! She's also a STAR, but don't tell her I said so! It is amazing what is sold 2nd hand here & the prices they expect to get!!! The fact you need to bear in mind with your own container, is that everything in it is YOURS, it'll be sealed before your eyes & you'll sign for that & it won't be opened again till it reaches the quarantine station. Our packers boxed-up special things like our bears inside larger pieces of furniture, where we believe they will be safe & protected from the worst of the journey - knowing what sensitive dispositions some of our beary friends have! We did pack up personal items, inventoried them which the shippers checked & packed them inside their boxes.

For our 20' container - 2-bed cottage, with some gardening bits & a push bike, cost us a bargain £4000 for the packing & shipping with a further £1K for marine insurance, + $300 to Hobart customs/quarantine inspection... We now expect our shipment to land in Tassie on Friday & fingers crossed that everything will be fine, we went over everything with a fine tooth comb, so would be quite disappointed if there were problems... But you never can tell! I would also allow longer than they project for the shipping, as I understand it gets de-shipped in Singapore & then put onto another vessel for Oz, where it can make several stops before arriving in Bell Bay... So again, mucho patience & factor that into your long term plans... Do you spend the Waiting Time in UK doing all the things you've put off doing, visiting rellies, etc., etc., or here...????

I will get round to putting it all down logically... One day...:spinny:

Hope this all helps,

Guest Colin R

Strange as it may seem population 496,000 at the last count , and to be honest I am glad that there is only 12 surnames !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!at least the people over here are friendly, ,too trusting sometimes for there own good . They have a warmth about them that you could only wish for in UK . and above all its my home and I can only thank god ( and I am not religious ) that we managed to get here to live finally. I really dont care what people say about Tassie I only hope that the people who make fun of it dont ever come to live here because I for one moved away from the UK to get away from people like that.

Sally

Strange as it may seem population 496,000 at the last count , and to be honest I am glad that there is only 12 surnames !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!at least the people over here are friendly, ,too trusting sometimes for there own good . They have a warmth about them that you could only wish for in UK . and above all its my home and I can only thank god ( and I am not religious ) that we managed to get here to live finally. I really dont care what people say about Tassie I only hope that the people who make fun of it dont ever come to live here because I for one moved away from the UK to get away from people like that.

Sally

Hi Sally

Lived in Tasmania for 2 years in Waratah!!!

Being Victorian I have every right to slate Tasmania, Sydney, Queensland, Perth, South Australia, N.T and The ACT all I want! Thats my right as an Australian.....

You will need to thicken up that skin of yours! because wether you like it or not Tassie is at the butt end of most Australian jokes Told by Australians, or are you going to tell Every Australian that tells a Tasmanian joke (funny or not) that they cant take the p1ss out of their own country???

On the other side i have recommended Tasmania to alot of people it is very under rated as a place to live. It's just a bit quiet

Geoffrey

Archived