Catch 22 - does the honeymoon period run out?

thelaurakate

Just over three years. To be a successful migrant you have to be a bit selfish. This is your life to live and make the best of if for yourself and your family. You have to weigh up what both countries can offer you..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest 47403
That's the hardest my mum and I are so close, we Skype everyday! ( maybe abit much but I know she needs me) she is so supportive of me and I cant thank her enough but I know shed love me to go back. My best friend is planning on visiting next year - it was her wedding i went back for. How long have you been here?

Perhaps that everyday contact is part of the issue, skype can be double edged in some ways.

Bad break up and pretty much ran away! But after the recent trip back realised how England isn't all bad ( like the time it was when i left) anyway got lots of thinking to do! thanks

Someone so wisely said on this forum (can't remember who sorry) that if you left the UK cos you were running away from something, it's harder to settle here long term.

Those that 'run towards' something often find they stay permanently.

I too am in the former camp so understand!

Hi Ive just returned from a 5 week trip to the uk and am missing my family and friends loads. If it was a holiday it would have been easier to leave I think but I really settled back into Uk life. Its only after your away from England that when you return you really appreciate it. Im over here on my own and have a wonderful much healthier life but its really got me thinking if im doing the right thing. At the end of the day your family and friends are your life and although ive met some great new friends here its not the same as people you've grown up with. Also I feel so guilty because me, my mum and lil sis are so close they really both rely on me and ive just left them again. Also they would never move here ( my step days doesn't fly!)

I guess im wondering if anybody's done a stint here then returned back to the Uk and is still enjoying it? or do you regret it? Also long term I cant imagine having children etc in a different country to my mum.

We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful country but is it the right thing to do?

Im confused! any advice appreciated

First I agree with...but healthier life? how is that...you are as healthy anywhere in the world as you want to be.

First I agree with...but healthier life? how is that...you are as healthy anywhere in the world as you want to be.

yes I guess but I find I want to exercise more living by the beach, but your right healthy is a choice, I just got the impression people in England don't care about it as much. I know I changed my lifestyle when I came here

yes I guess but I find I want to exercise more living by the beach, but your right healthy is a choice, I just got the impression people in England don't care about it as much. I know I changed my lifestyle when I came here

I wouldn't say that! I see just as many people out exercising, walking for function, riding their bikes etc as I ever did in Aus. I am considerably healthier and fitter here in UK than I was in Aus because I can always go out for a walk whereas I would spend days incarcerated inside in Aus! The heat is just as much of a deterrent as the occasional bit of drizzle. It is a choice!

The heat is just as much of a deterrent as the occasional bit of drizzle.

Agree with this 100%

I play golf....and for years in the UK (playing in drizzle) i'd wish for a sunny round BUT since playing here, after some games in the heat, drizzle seems like heaven!

I think Australians are a bit more focused on sport and exercise overall, but I don't think it changes people upon arrival. In your case, maybe it has been a catalyst and something you will keep up now you have a taste for it.

True but if people are unhappy/depressed they often turn to food for comfort and I imagine it's pretty hard getting motivated to exercise when you're so down. If you've got situational depression and you get out of that situation by moving abroad it would have a big impact on your health and wellbeing.

True but if people are unhappy/depressed they often turn to food for comfort and I imagine it's pretty hard getting motivated to exercise when you're so down. If you've got situational depression and you get out of that situation by moving abroad it would have a big impact on your health and wellbeing.

Absolutely! It's been worth around 8 stone for me! I cannot imagine how I managed to even get up off a chair with the weight of one of my best mates (with her handbag!) on me! Exogenous depression is a killer!

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that the life you want to go back to might not be there - and if it is, is subject to your friend's and family's lives not moving on or away.

Its not only family peach....its just preferring the Uk to Oz in the majority of cases, I find people site friends and family as an excuse as saying the just dont like oz is seen by many as a failure my some, far easier to just say family and friends brought you back instaed of saying "i just could not make it work" in oz.

I find people site friends and family as an excuse as saying they just dont like oz

For me and I'm sure a lot of others its more a case of prefer/missing the UK rather than not liking Aus.

Sure things annoy me about Aus but I wouldn't say that I dont like it, even when I was very homesick and feeling low.

Its not only family peach....its just preferring the Uk to Oz in the majority of cases, I find people site friends and family as an excuse as saying the just dont like oz is seen by many as a failure my some, far easier to just say family and friends brought you back instaed of saying "i just could not make it work" in oz.

I agree

Absolutely! It's been worth around 8 stone for me! I cannot imagine how I managed to even get up off a chair with the weight of one of my best mates (with her handbag!) on me! Exogenous depression is a killer!

Wow Quoll 8 stone lost is an amazing achievement! LOL at the weight of your friend and her handbag :)

I find Oz to be a land of extremes when it comes to exercise - I know a lot of people here (mostly youngsters) who train for marathons, do sea swims, ridiculous extreme cycling and are super fit. I also know many people who drive everywhere, eat excessively (portions are massive in Oz!) and are largely inactive. As someone who falls between two camps (I like a bracing 10 mile walk but am no where near fit/strong enough for a triathlon) I find that the UK offers a lot of options, whereas the heat here constrains everyday physical exercise. So my experience is that exercise (gentle walking, easy swimming, casual cycling) is part of peoples' lives in the UK more than in QLD where even a visit to the local pool means encountering very competitive athletes - leaving people like me feeling physically inadequate compared to all the superstars... I also spend way more time slumped in front of the box here than in the UK - fewer evening activities available and no long summer evenings for walking/cycling etc. Standard of classes at my gym are very high (although again very competitive) but I prefer being out in the open air

fewer evening activities available and no long summer evenings for walking/cycling etc.

Really feeling this now.

Was skyping my sister 9pm sunday night UK time. She was still sitting in her garden! The street light wasnt even on.

Really feeling this now.

Was skyping my sister 9pm sunday night UK time. She was still sitting in her garden! The street light wasnt even on.

Thats a thing I miss light nights , day goes so fast here with it being dark early , love the dark nights on the run up to Xmas then they can bugga off lol don't miss scraping ice off my car though lol . The honey moon period does deffo run out . Lol no difference here apart from weather better .

Theres things do here yes but so there is in uk , missing me mates , theve. Just been Thorpe park , Alton towers , they go abroad three times a year , shows , ice skating , trips to London shopping , Manchester shopping , Birmingham , merry hill everywhere , carnt help thinking I rocked the boat and my bestie has just come off a cruise lol but now I'm here and ploughed everything in to it , need to see how it goes lol .

I think Australians are a bit more focused on sport and exercise overall, but I don't think it changes people upon arrival. In your case, maybe it has been a catalyst and something you will keep up now you have a taste for it.

Yes ive def found a new passion for health and fitness here which I am very greatful for and I probably wouldn't have got in to back in the uk, I plan on getting qualified as a PT soon as I can afford it- but first have to save for my PR. why is everything so expensive here!

For me and I'm sure a lot of others its more a case of prefer/missing the UK rather than not liking Aus.

Sure things annoy me about Aus but I wouldn't say that I dont like it, even when I was very homesick and feeling low.

exactly an endless summer is amazing but i miss all the traditions of the uk that we grew up with like, bonfire night and Christmas ..

Archived