Those among us that would like to go home

Stuju

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest itskaren
Hi Gizmo. You say you've been there 2 years but honestly England has changed so so much in that short time. Without offending anyone (please no-one have a moan, im just voicing my opinion), you can barely go anywhere without hearing everyone speaking another language, even in schools. I live in London so maybe worse than rest of country I dont know but I say what I see. Work can be very hard to find for tradesman because the polish are working for less too. Dont get me wrong I love England and am proud to be English but its not where I want my kids to be teenagers, it scares me to death the thought of them being out on the street, crime is rife. Do you know ive been woken every morning this week with the london news on and every morning they tell you how someone else was shot or stabbed the day before. Crazy place. I know I don't know what its like in Oz but surely it cant be worse than here!! Hope I havent offended anyone with this post.

I see more stabbings and violence on Oz Emergency Departments than I ever did working in the UK.

Guest beckinbris

Gizmo,

Today is my 21st anniversary of arriving in Australia. When we landed I was the rip old age of 8 & until the age of 20 I resented Australia and always wanted to go "home" to Liverpool - I went back for a 6wk holiday to visit family @ 20yrs old that turned into a 8yr holiday. I love Liverpool, nothing better than going down to the pub on a sunday afternoon but once I had my children I took a step back and saw Liverpool for what it was, full of immigrants, crime & drugs.:mad: In my humble opinion England is no longer owned by the English and that saddens me to my core.:sad: England changed so much for me from 2000 - 2008 that the thought of going back there petrifies me, I don't want to see what it has become I just want to remember it for the good times. Gizmo my message to you is that you can take the girl out of England but you will never take England out of the girl. Its hard and you never fully loose your home sick (after 21yrs my heart still loves Liverpool) but as time goes on you just realise that Australia is a better place to be and has much more opportunities here than England could ever offer.

Good luck and remember with all us pommies around you "You'll never walk alone" ::biggrin:

Guest beckinbris

I also work in Emergency Services and sorry to disagree but Australia has not got a patch on England for violence - they are about 15yrs behind in the drug scene too. Drugs in England before I left were cheaper than a pint - here apparently it takes half your weekly wages for the same drug. Drug, alcohol and violence are on the increase in Oz as are the immigrant numbers ? coincedence???

Guest chris955

Mmm, I think your opinion seems to be ignoring actual facts. It's funny you have such an apparent hatred of immigrants and seem to be blaming them for drug and violence issues in the UK but you are one yourself but don't blame them for the rise in vilent crime and drugs here. Without boring you with actual facts there is virtually no difference between the 2 countries with regard violence, stabbings etc but whatever helps you sleep at night I guess. :wink:

Guest beckinbris
Mmm, I think your opinion seems to be ignoring actual facts. It's funny you have such an apparent hatred of immigrants and seem to be blaming them for drug and violence issues in the UK but you are one yourself but don't blame them for the rise in vilent crime and drugs here. Without boring you with actual facts there is virtually no difference between the 2 countries with regard violence, stabbings etc but whatever helps you sleep at night I guess. :wink:

:idea: I DO NOT have an aparent hatred for anything especially not immigrants as you are right I AM ONE what I have HATE is for is people who don't want to realise that with more people moving into any area - populations go up as do crime, drugs and violence - they all go hand in hand. Just look at parts of England were the is a high immigration numbers - high crime rates & low income families all together. I do think immigrants here cause the same problems as they do in the UK. But that does not make me a hater of immigration. Having lived in both countries for equal amount of time I can saftely say Australia is not as bad as England YET - but unfortunatly I would say its only a matter of time that the bigger cities get worse and worse.

And yes I do sleep at night because I don't shoot people down :chatterbox:for having an educated and experienced opinion.Have a lovely day won't you!

I think maybe things would have been better for you if you had gone somewhere other than Q'land. Queenslanders are definitely a breed apart - I think down here in Victoria people are more accepting and generous with people from different countries. The education is also better down here- I know that from having friends who moved up to Queensland with their young children. You have to be very keen on beaches and sailing etc up there I think. Good luck to you and I hope things turn out better for you soon.

Guest guest36187
I think maybe things would have been better for you if you had gone somewhere other than Q'land. Queenslanders are definitely a breed apart - I think down here in Victoria people are more accepting and generous with people from different countries. The education is also better down here- I know that from having friends who moved up to Queensland with their young children. You have to be very keen on beaches and sailing etc up there I think. Good luck to you and I hope things turn out better for you soon.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation dont you think?

People are accepting of POMS and others in QLD. A lot can depend on POMs attitude when here as well.

Beaches and sailing have nothing to do with living in QLD! I have lived in QLD for over 5 years and have no interest in either!

Guest Aldo

I found that nearly all the aussies i got along with where from melbourne, they seemed to be a lot friendlier. maybe it was because as poms and melbournites we where both looked at as outsiders, infact i miss my old melbourn buds and how we used to b!tch about the 6 fingered banjo players:biglaugh:

I find people here in Qld really friendly but it's the vastness of the country that I struggle with-not being able to just nip to York, Leeds, Harrogate, the Dales etc all easily within the school day. I have a 'city' within 15 mins here and then nothing at all for 2 hours-find that hard.

It's not like the UK where you can live in a lovely village and then 20 mins later you can be in a thriving metropolis, didn't think that would bother me but the feeling of total isolation is horrible- even though the place we live is really pretty and friendly.:unsure:

I find people here in Qld really friendly but it's the vastness of the country that I struggle with-not being able to just nip to York, Leeds, Harrogate, the Dales etc all easily within the school day. I have a 'city' within 15 mins here and then nothing at all for 2 hours-find that hard.

It's not like the UK where you can live in a lovely village and then 20 mins later you can be in a thriving metropolis, didn't think that would bother me but the feeling of total isolation is horrible- even though the place we live is really pretty and friendly.:unsure:

I know what you mean about the vastness of everything - of course we know that Australia is huge before we move there, but the sheer size of it is mind-boggling when you come from a tiny country like the UK.

We lived in a little village in Yorkshire and we used to think of a trip to Whitby as a big day out. By contrast, in August we are taking a couple of days to drive up from Bribie to Airlie Beach to visit the Whistundays.

A friend of ours recalls setting off to buy a newspaper when he didn't really know his way around ... a simple enough task, you might think. It took him two hours to walk there and back and he said he nearly passed out through lack of water :laugh:

Sue x

I know what you mean about the vastness of everything - of course we know that Australia is huge before we move there, but the sheer size of it is mind-boggling when you come from a tiny country like the UK.

We lived in a little village in Yorkshire and we used to think of a trip to Whitby as a big day out. By contrast, in August we are taking a couple of days to drive up from Bribie to Airlie Beach to visit the Whistundays.

A friend of ours recalls setting off to buy a newspaper when he didn't really know his way around ... a simple enough task, you might think. It took him two hours to walk there and back and he said he nearly passed out through lack of water :laugh:

Sue x

It's funny Sue isn't it how lots of us that miss the UK are from Yorkshire (the grim north).

I totally agree that you have no idea how the distances will affect you until you live with it.

I loved where we lived in England but if I was told that my village had only one city near it and then nothing else for hours I wou:swoon:ldn't like it there either!

It's funny Sue isn't it how lots of us that miss the UK are from Yorkshire (the grim north).

I totally agree that you have no idea how the distances will affect you until you live with it.

I loved where we lived in England but if I was told that my village had only one city near it and then nothing else for hours I wou:swoon:ldn't like it there either!

I'm kind of getting used to the distances now, I remember saying to my parents when they visited that we would take them out for a little drive somewhere, 2 hours later my mum was saying "Susan, is it gonna be much further??!!" :biglaugh:

On the plus side, it has improved my driving skills no end because I have to take the car everywhere. Back in the UK I was a total wuss and never drove on the motorway, here I've got no choice but to get on with it LOL

Sue x

I so know what you and Sue mean. I knew just how big WA and the rest of Aus was going to be, I just think I underestimated how far apart everything would be.

We're from Birmingham and I so miss having everything on my doorstep..... being able to walk to the train station and less than 15 minutes later being in the city centre, we could walk to the cinema, Sutton Coldfield Town, the pub, the restaurants., being able to get everything I need in one trip from one shopping centre. xxx

I so know what you and Sue mean. I knew just how big WA and the rest of Aus was going to be, I just think I underestimated how far apart everything would be.

We're from Birmingham and I so miss having everything on my doorstep..... being able to walk to the train station and less than 15 minutes later being in the city centre, we could walk to the cinema, Sutton Coldfield Town, the pub, the restaurants., being able to get everything I need in one trip from one shopping centre. xxx

We've been here 4 months and i that time apart from a trip to the sunny coast for easter with all of us. I have only been to the small city which is 10-15 mins away. I cannot go to Brisbane as it is over 2 hours away and why would I drive all that way on dreadful roads just for a shopping trip (couldn't in school hours anyway) Said to my husband 'if you are telling me this is it for the rest of my life- not a chance!':arghh:

We are planing our escape for September but will try to return every 2 years fr holidays to see the family which is really what we hould just have kept doing anyway but at least now we know!

Denise will Pm those details to you today x

I too am from Yorkshire, and I totally miss the fact that you have stunning country side, little towns and villages and many vibrant cities within such a small radius, its definitely a case of you don't know what you've got till it's gone. I think the vastness and traveling times between places is why I am finding Australia very bland and I say this living in Sydney which is supposed to be one of the more exciting Australian cities. It is the richness and variety of the UK which I think some people take for granted (I know I did).

And am I the only one who finds the Blue Mountains a little underwhelming? its got nowt on t'Yorkshire Dales, I tell thee :biggrin:

I also apologise in advance for the negativity of my posts of late but thats just the way I'm feeling.

I too am from Yorkshire, and I totally miss the fact that you have stunning country side, little towns and villages and many vibrant cities within such a small radius, its definitely a case of you don't know what you've got till it's gone. I think the vastness and traveling times between places is why I am finding Australia very bland and I say this living in Sydney which is supposed to be one of the more exciting Australian cities. It is the richness and variety of the UK which I think some people take for granted (I know I did).

And am I the only one who finds the Blue Mountains a little underwhelming? its got nowt on t'Yorkshire Dales, I tell thee :biggrin:

I also apologise in advance for the negativity of my posts of late but thats just the way I'm feeling.

I really feel for you- we came here for family as my hubby is Australian and we wanted our 3 young children to experience the extended family that they haved missed out on at home. We now realise that although the extended family is fantastic it is not enough to keep us here. The whole experience has cost us a fortune and continues to as we also shipped the cars (big mistake but they are so expensive here) we are still waiting for them and they left UK in Jan (don't ask)!

Every single day brings a reason not to stay!

Luckily my husband feels the same as me (he feels like an alien in his own country)and because of that we are planning on a sept return. We have lost out financially in a big way but that was the risk- was it worth it? no -but at least we will stop thinking what if and get on with our lives in a smaller house with a smaller mortgage!

Life is just too short to be unhappy.

:idea: I DO NOT have an aparent hatred for anything especially not immigrants as you are right I AM ONE what I have HATE is for is people who don't want to realise that with more people moving into any area - populations go up as do crime, drugs and violence - they all go hand in hand. Just look at parts of England were the is a high immigration numbers - high crime rates & low income families all together. I do think immigrants here cause the same problems as they do in the UK. But that does not make me a hater of immigration. Having lived in both countries for equal amount of time I can saftely say Australia is not as bad as England YET - but unfortunatly I would say its only a matter of time that the bigger cities get worse and worse.

And yes I do sleep at night because I don't shoot people down :chatterbox:for having an educated and experienced opinion.Have a lovely day won't you!

I think your views are spot on. We have been here since 92 and can slowly see Perth cahnging, unfortunately not for the better.

We live North of the river and find we can do most of the things that you mention above. Walk to the train station and be in Perth in 20 mins. Walk to the cinema at Whitfords or drive to Joondalup or Currambine or Warwick cinemas (all with multi screens). We have an IGA across the road from us which is open every night till 8:00. There are restaurants galore at Hillary's and there is not much you can't get from Whitfords shopping centre. I guess it all depends on where you live. My wifes Sister lives in Tolpuddle, Dorset and they think it's great. There is one pub with virtually no-one in it, hardly any shops, neares town is Dorchester and it was a fair drive away. No railway within miles. Their kids couldn't wait to get away to University.

Guest mozziebite

but at least we will stop thinking what if and get on with our lives in a smaller house with a smaller mortgage!

Spot on Carina - we will be in the same boat too, but I am looking forward to having a smaller house with a smaller mortgage, leaves more spondies for holidays in Scotland, France, Lake District, Italy, Spain etc etc - being here has opened up our eyes, if you have been through two big moves in a year, the size of your house doesn't really seem that important any more but enjoying life does. The closer I am getting to returning the better my mood is!

but at least we will stop thinking what if and get on with our lives in a smaller house with a smaller mortgage!

Spot on Carina - we will be in the same boat too, but I am looking forward to having a smaller house with a smaller mortgage, leaves more spondies for holidays in Scotland, France, Lake District, Italy, Spain etc etc - being here has opened up our eyes, if you have been through two big moves in a year, the size of your house doesn't really seem that important any more but enjoying life does. The closer I am getting to returning the better my mood is!

Smaller house = Cosy plus not having to spend two bloody hours just cleaning the floors, sweeping mopping, never spent so much time cleaning since coming to OZ it drives me crazy.

Guest mozziebite

Aye, too right, life's too short to do the cleaning!! - mid-40's and two kids later and am SICK of housework and cleaning!!

We live North of the river and find we can do most of the things that you mention above. Walk to the train station and be in Perth in 20 mins. Walk to the cinema at Whitfords or drive to Joondalup or Currambine or Warwick cinemas (all with multi screens). We have an IGA across the road from us which is open every night till 8:00. There are restaurants galore at Hillary's and there is not much you can't get from Whitfords shopping centre. I guess it all depends on where you live. My wifes Sister lives in Tolpuddle, Dorset and they think it's great. There is one pub with virtually no-one in it, hardly any shops, neares town is Dorchester and it was a fair drive away. No railway within miles. Their kids couldn't wait to get away to University.

Sounds nice, how longs the plane ride to the next nearest city :wink:

as for smaller houses in the UK, I could buy a 4 bedroomed detached renovated victorian/georgian house for less than I have paid for a 2 bedroom, strata weatherboard cottage in Sydney!

Absolutely right Paul, it is all relative- but you feel what you feel.

No wonder the Tolpuddle Riots happened then! I'm just kidding, it's just that I remember the Tolpuddle Riots from my schooldays, and this is the only chance in my life that I've been able to refer to them since :laugh::hug:

Sue x

Archived