Those among us that would like to go home

Stuju

Thats maybe true in your case you think it is a nice place to live, others don't.Some people just don't like to be called Wingeing Pommie Bastards,for the rest of thier life,they maybe wingers,or not whingers.It dosen't matter,All Poms to most Aussies are wingeing bastards.They may not like thier kids being bullied at school,just because they are English.Some people think on this site, there is no anti English feeling at all in Australia.????If your a thick skinned pom and can live with it,so be it.My Aussie mates tell me that,Not all,but most Aussie's think of poms,the same as poms think of Pakies in England.I think going back is a case of geting your self respect back.Among other things.

You whinger!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

If that was a joke then fair enough but if not why should everyone have to feel the same about this country ?

There is absolutely no doubt there is a fair amount of anti British feeling in this country and there is nothing wrong with stating that in a post if that is the posters thoughts.

Like I said if it was a joke then disregard the above. :wink:

Interesting old thread revived.

I have never experienced any anti british feelings here in Aus and nor has my oh. Plenty of anti other nationalities but most long time Aus have Brits in their family tree so why would they dislike them.

I have experienced people who do not like me but that is personal selection of friends not anti Brit or anyone else for that matter.

People do not even notice us, they are not thinking, "oh there goes one of those Brits" they are too interested in their own lives and we have to get a life and stop thinking we are top of the pile.

Interesting old thread revived.

I have never experienced any anti british feelings here in Aus and nor has my oh. Plenty of anti other nationalities but most long time Aus have Brits in their family tree so why would they dislike them.

I have experienced people who do not like me but that is personal selection of friends not anti Brit or anyone else for that matter.

People do not even notice us, they are not thinking, "oh there goes one of those Brits" they are too interested in their own lives and we have to get a life and stop thinking we are top of the pile.

There was a feeling about 30 years ago but that was then replaced by antipathy towards the Italians, Greeks and Yugoslavs. They then got replaced as whipping boys by the Vietnamese, Chinese and other Asians and more recently the Lebanese and Sudanese have been the focus of most racial angst. However, I think the more recent influx of "cashed up Poms" did cop a bit of a battering especially those in the trades who "took our jobs". Envy is a nasty emotion.

I think Australia does have quite strong underlying racial currents and it wouldnt surprise me in the least to find the Poms were getting a battering just as I did 30 years ago (lost the accent quick smart!). Of course it will all be done in the name of humour but to be constantly called a whinging pom or similar as "fun" can wear thin pretty quickly.

my old man lived in oz for 80years and was called an old pommy bastard every day he was here and that was by his mates,he would not have had it any other way

All right for him then, for some of us it wears a tad thin - some mates!

If that was a joke then fair enough but if not why should everyone have to feel the same about this country ?

There is absolutely no doubt there is a fair amount of anti British feeling in this country and there is nothing wrong with stating that in a post if that is the posters thoughts.

Like I said if it was a joke then disregard the above. :wink:

It was meant as a joke and I thought the poms on here would appreciate it. I agree there is a fair amount of anti British feeling here but a lot of it is actually coming from poms who have been here a while. I have loads of Aussie friends but cop a fair bit of ribbing. Among the Aussie mates though are some first generation Aussies from Italian parentage, some from Croatia, some from South Africa. I don't think we cop anymore than they do and we give plenty back to each other. Not much different from the English way really. Say between people from Derbyshire and Yorkshire for instance. I've felt more alienated and different in a Yorkshire night club on a stag night than i ever have here. I'm from Derbyshire by the way.

Seeing some of the English football hooligan behaviour here it's not surprising there's a bit of feeling against it.

Guest shark

what is wrong with being called a pom. we are after all ,on poms in oz. i could understand if people got upset with someone calling a person b......... ,that's not on .and i am sure the brits are good at giving the same back to the Aussies

you,ve lived here a fair while and learnt nothing

NO I changed my accent and no one bothers me - see, I learned a lot and very quickly:biglaugh: but I have heard others whose accents are more entrenched than mine was get a harder time!

Guest Guest37175
There was a feeling about 30 years ago but that was then replaced by antipathy towards the Italians, Greeks and Yugoslavs. They then got replaced as whipping boys by the Vietnamese, Chinese and other Asians and more recently the Lebanese and Sudanese have been the focus of most racial angst. However, I think the more recent influx of "cashed up Poms" did cop a bit of a battering especially those in the trades who "took our jobs". Envy is a nasty emotion.

I think Australia does have quite strong underlying racial currents and it wouldnt surprise me in the least to find the Poms were getting a battering just as I did 30 years ago (lost the accent quick smart!). Of course it will all be done in the name of humour but to be constantly called a whinging pom or similar as "fun" can wear thin pretty quickly.

But it's all a joke though right?. Like sports presenters 'cheekily' referring to the Pakistani cricket team as 'The Pakis' despite numerous requests not to / explanations as to why people from Pakistan find this offensive.

But hey, Australia's not racist. 'Blackface' proved that right?. It's the rest of the world that doesn't get Australian humour right?.

Did I see that 'Hey, Hey We're Not Racist It's Saturday' is back for a new run soon?.

Can't wait.

Guest Guest37175
my old man lived in oz for 80years and was called an old pommy bastard every day he was here and that was by his mates,he would not have had it any other way

That's what friends are for :arghh:

But it's all a joke though right?. Like sports presenters 'cheekily' referring to the Pakistani cricket team as 'The Pakis' despite numerous requests not to / explanations as to why people from Pakistan find this offensive.

But hey, Australia's not racist. 'Blackface' proved that right?. It's the rest of the world that doesn't get Australian humour right?.

Did I see that 'Hey, Hey We're Not Racist It's Saturday' is back for a new run soon?.

Can't wait.

Cheer up you'll be back in the UK soon and it will all be just a bad dream, there, there it's alright! :hug:

Guest Guest37175
Cheer up you'll be back in the UK soon and it will all be just a bad dream, there, there it's alright! :hug:

Very true Geoffrey, very true. Although for the missus the nightmare of the UK is beginning all over again!

I shall miss Australia, it's replaced British Gas/Telecom/London Electric and the annoying Scottish blokes at SKY (no, not Andy Gray, well, yeah, him too) as targets for my disgruntlement!

I'm gonna have to fall out big-time with someone from the Isle of Wight to replace it!

What have they ever done for me eh??!!

It was meant as a joke and I thought the poms on here would appreciate it. I agree there is a fair amount of anti British feeling here but a lot of it is actually coming from poms who have been here a while. I have loads of Aussie friends but cop a fair bit of ribbing. Among the Aussie mates though are some first generation Aussies from Italian parentage, some from Croatia, some from South Africa. I don't think we cop anymore than they do and we give plenty back to each other. Not much different from the English way really. Say between people from Derbyshire and Yorkshire for instance. I've felt more alienated and different in a Yorkshire night club on a stag night than i ever have here. I'm from Derbyshire by the way.

Seeing some of the English football hooligan behaviour here it's not surprising there's a bit of feeling against it.

Are ytou for real , why bring english football hooligans into it , go to northbridge any where all the barneys are caused by aussies , most tear ups are between aussies and kiwis ,the ethnic types and they look for each other , Theres plenty of trouble at Armadale ,definately no poms involved there ,open your friggin eyes and ears before you comment and travel round the metro before you state clap trap , went to joondalup for a nite out last friday only bother between some aussie kids ,and they were kids , told them to leave it no fun an a cop car then billy bogan jumps in no footy shirt or accent sayin let em fight ,hard nut yes (poor lamb could not make the toilet he wet himself)

[/b]

Very true Geoffrey, very true. Although for the missus the nightmare of the UK is beginning all over again!

I shall miss Australia, it's replaced British Gas/Telecom/London Electric and the annoying Scottish blokes at SKY (no, not Andy Gray, well, yeah, him too) as targets for my disgruntlement!

I'm gonna have to fall out big-time with someone from the Isle of Wight to replace it!

What have they ever done for me eh??!!

Is there not an Island in between Australia and the UK where you could both be unhappy? :biglaugh: Compromise is the key

Are ytou for real , why bring english football hooligans into it , go to northbridge any where all the barneys are caused by aussies , most tear ups are between aussies and kiwis ,the ethnic types and they look for each other , Theres plenty of trouble at Armadale ,definately no poms involved there ,open your friggin eyes and ears before you comment and travel round the metro before you state clap trap , went to joondalup for a nite out last friday only bother between some aussie kids ,and they were kids , told them to leave it no fun an a cop car then billy bogan jumps in no footy shirt or accent sayin let em fight ,hard nut yes (poor lamb could not make the toilet he wet himself)

I bet their parents are English though!!!! Bloody POMS........ :biglaugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Funny things us Humans. TBH I would not go back to London in a million years, maybe being here only 4 1/2 years is not enough to feel homesick?

Fair enough, if your heart ain't in it, then it must be crap being here I supose.

I would say this to any propestive punters thinking of coming to live in Oz and reading this - if you are very close to family, maybe live in a small village and really love the English seasons...THINK TWICE. Because this just might not be your cuppa tea

Guest LongwayDown

Can i just say being English i find some of the comments on here embarrassing and hilarious!! Are some of us living in denial?? It seems to me most people want to believe there is no violence crime etc in Australia so they convince themselves. Where were you when the Cronulla race riots were on?? Next youll be telling me that Australian kids dont drink/fight at schoolies.

What planet are some of us on???

Whats even more astonishing is the "ive been back to the Uk for a holiday and nothings changed stories, same old people in my local village". I had no idea that the average working class man should have grown two heads since your departure, won the lottery and started up his own successful import/export business and now owns several investment properties.

What a lack of progression from the Uk.

I suspect noone in Australia is frequenting their local RSL club every night, working in the same factory for 40 years and receiving a lousy pension/handshake or remaining in the village they grew up in.

I think they used to be a show on tv for these kind of people....the plane boss the plane......

I tell you what try a day out in Footscray.

If you like the weather and are a beach person then give Australia a go but lets not talk rubbish.

Old Indian saying..........Youll never wake a man who pretends hes asleep

Guest chris955

I have to agree, some of the comments make my jaw drop, do they really believe what they are saying or are is it for validation ?

i'm in the process of being made redundant, :cry: there are jobs available for me as a welder fabricator with twenty years experience but they don't have the pay that i need to enjoy life. i'm not in loads of debt BUT working just to pay bills is not any fun. i've looked at requirements for oz and one is "do you speak english" how come this is not the same in uk? we've had polish working for our company recently and half could not speak any english so had their collegues translate for them!!!! in a work place NOT GOOD.:no:we're now thinking of moving to oz. we know it will be hard leaving three "adult" children behind. (18,20,21) but we need to live life not just survive it..:chatterbox: sorry for the ramble.

I have two children at moment aged 12 and 10 I aminterested to know how you would leave your three children ...they dont want to go ??? I am in Aus but british born and one day want to go back home, just dont know how I owuld do it.......thanks

Guest mr nobody

Arrived in QLD December 2009 with my little boy after the long and stressful sale of my business in the UK. My wife had come out around 3 months before to take up a job offer, thinking as we did at the time, that the business sale would be done and dusted in a few weeks. That should have been it - all our dreams as a family finally becoming a reality.

Strangely though, it's worked out to be a living hell. I can't seem to find a foothold for my new business - 4 months down the line I've done one piddly little job, and I've got a list of empty promises that would stretch to the horizon and back. Is this lack of sincerity, and dare I say it honesty, a part of Australian culture? I swear 'Aussie' businesses are getting the work 'cos they talk with the right accent and I don't.

I'm really concerned about the education system here as well. The curriculum seems to be YEARS behind the UK. My boy is really bright but I'm certain he is being so, so held back by doing maths and English that he learned three or four years ago.

And to cap it all, my wife has barely spoken to me since I arrived, announcing that she doesn't know how she feels about me any more.

We left England a bright, energetic, close and loving family. Just a few months down the line and it's hard to imagine how it could have gone any more wrong.

So here I am, stuck in a backward country with a broken family and no business. If anyone's reading this thinking about emigrating here, then for god's sake stay put.

Bloody hell, you've only been he five months (if that!), some people go on holiday for more than that? Not sure about the schools bit either, my little girl was one of only two white english in her class in London and they had to use some of the kids of polish extract that had been there for a few years to translate for the newer arrivals - don't get that in my daughters Aussie school. As for school standard, the Aussie one is right up there with the best in London, if not better!!

To many come to Aus thinking that all they have to do is just "turn up" and everyone will be throwing jobs and work at them - wake up. It's no diferent here than any other country, you want it, then you have to hunt it down and work at it, and it takes TIME!!

Every famaly is a team, and if you are coming out here, just makesure that every time members wants to come. If some don't want to make the move, then think long and hard before making the move, because if it don't go your way, then that's when the problems start

Winging Poms (and I'm a Pom!!)

Archived