Economy/premium/ business class -

Playghirl

So I am lucky to have a wedding in Dublin to go to in Ireland, and can't take the family. I will be doing a fly there and back in under a fortnight job.

i will never be able to afford or justify the cost of upgrading the entire family but are off on,y own, and figure I deserve a little treat. I can't afford the $8000 for Qantas and the ilk, so wondered about other cheaper carriers. Vietnam come out the cheapest for business class, with Thai airlines near behind. Both have rarely bad reviews for business. Talks about old planes, seats which don't fully recline etc...

When you are happy to pay 4000 grand for a shite airliner, you then have the consultants saying well for an extra 1500 you can get Etighad and they are great.....then I am up near taking my two children with me in cattle class and I am getting the guilts. lol

So as a compromise I guess is premium... Now I have only ever flown cattle class, so wonder about personal views of premium.

How have all your experiences been?

thanks

I have flown back and forward to Europe in Thai business a few times and I certainly wouldn't call it shite!

If you understand the products there are routings you can take that will get you better seats and likely at the same price.

SYD-BKK on Thai you would get older style angled flat beds regardless of which flight you took...however both are day flights and so this is a non issue.

Onwards to Europe you can take A380 operated flights to Paris or Frankfurt with full lie flat beds in business. You could also take flights on the 77W to Copenhagen, Stockholm or Oslo also with full flat beds in business. Then take a short hop to London. If you make your return journey from one of these airports you will save a very large amount in UK air passenger duty...close to GBP200 for a business class flight to Aus.

Flights from BKK-LHR are always operated by aircraft with angled flat beds in business class...however again with LHR and FRA there are day flights available when the seat style becomes a non issue again.

If it was me and I could get a good price with Thai to London I'd:

-Take the 10AM departure from SYD arriving in BKK about 4PM

-Check in to the airport Novotel (5 mins walk from the terminal and about A$150)

-Catch the train into the city for the evening (about 15 mins trip)

-Back to the hotel. Nice sleep. Breakfast. Dip in the pool. Back to the airport at 10AM for the 12PM departure to London...arrives London early evening.

No worrying about sleeping on planes at all...which I never can do, not even in a full flat bed!

Personally, if it was not business funded, I would go cattle class and save the money for the next trip with the family and maybe a longer holiday. I cannot see what value you get for such extra cost, not even as a treat, especially when it's for basically just a 24hr period, its not that too uncomfortable in cattle these days, you just need to try and pick the right flights and seats.

If you are unaccustomed to business class, then one of the cheaper airlines is still going to be a major step up from economy class and you probably will feel the benefit. People reviewing the business class product on these sites, may well be seasoned business travellers and therefore they are bound to be a bit more picky. I started travelling business about fifteen years ago and initially was happy with just the extra leg room and a 150deg angle. Now I demand completely flat and ideally in a single pod style.

I first did premium economy also about 15 years ago, when it was almost a new concept back then. Again, yes the extra legroom is very welcome, but it is a long way from business class, but then so is the price. I think it is value for money. The downside, is that the arm rests are often fixed in premium economy and if you do have an empty seat beside you, you can't lift up the rest and curl up like you could in coach.

If you are going to spend 8k on a business flight, I would pick an airline with a fully flat bed. You can often see BA, Qantas and Cathay in this price range and all have a better business class's product than Thai.

I'll probably get into strife for this but the comment "I figure I deserve a little treat" is so female. If it were a guy he would be thinking "yeh I could go business class but we could use the money for house, family", whatever.

If work was paying I would go business, if I was paying it's a rip off.

I flew MEL-SGN and back about a month ago on Vietnam Airlines (VN) in business class. I enjoyed the experience greatly - friendly crew who seemed very concerned that we were happy with the service, good and plentiful food, OK wines and a seat that was an angled almost flat bed. The entertainment worked, but I only ever use the skymap and read my own books. The seat had power and a USB for charging things. On the down side, there was only one toilet for 30 business class passengers (and shared by cabin crew and flight crew). This was not really enough. Also, I could be wrong but I think flying to Europe on VN requires a domestic transfer in Vietnam from Saigon to Hanoi - which means getting a double entry visa in advance.

I have also flown Thai (TG) in business many times (mostly MEL-BKK) and was happy. But Thai is prone to switching planes at the last minute to your disadvantage, and sometimes they just get a flight that doesn't quite work - I had a dreadful experience in First once with them. But normally they have good food, angled not quite flat bed, mediocre wine and good lounges. On routes into Europe, they have First Class - it might be nicer to be in a plane that only has Business so you know you are getting the best...

I might be tempted to look at Royal Brunei in business - or China Southern - as alternative relatively affordable options (though I haven't flown with either of them - and Brunei is dry if that matters).

I'm not a road warrior by any means, but do have experience of business class long haul with New Zealand, Vietnam Airlines, Thai, South African Airlines, EgyptAir, Turkish Airlines and Asiana. I would have no problems booking again with VN or TG. In fact, the only one of those I wouldn't do again would be EgyptAir.

I resent giving the airlines any more of my hard earned cash than I have to! Doesn't help you arrive any quicker so the miser in me says that I can put up with pretty much anything for 24 hours, it's not worth spending all that dosh, it'd be better keeping it for another trip!

To be honest unless your 6'4 premium economy is perfectly comfortable on Ethiad. They give you 5 star treatment without travelling business class.

Etihad don't have premium economy.

Virgin Australia do on the flights to Abu Dhabi, which might carry an EY flight number, but there would be no premium economy onward to Europe.

What's the price hike for premium? And are you very tall? I don't think I'd want to be paying more than 20%-30% over for premium, but then I'm fairly short so the leg room isn't a big deal.

Do you fly direct to Ireland or via London because if it's via London, I'd look at dropping the business for the Ireland leg and see how that impacts the cost. Business on a small plane for a couple of hours to me isn't worth paying for.

Having said that it's about the comfort for me rather than the service (I'd rather pay less and go for a lovely meal and room at my destination) so if you highly value a nicer meal and drinks, better service etc go for it.

I'll probably get into strife for this but the comment "I figure I deserve a little treat" is so female. If it were a guy he would be thinking "yeh I could go business class but we could use the money for house, family", whatever.

If work was paying I would go business, if I was paying it's a rip off.

My husband has no problem treating himself to a business class flight.

I don't feel ripped off when I fly business, it is a choice I make, nobody has ripped me off.

I get your point, and saying I deserve a treat, well same boat as many I have a full time job, two weans aged 3 and 5 and run the house. So a little treat might be in order. Yes if husband wanted to spend money on first for him I probably would cite the above.# doublestandards

I have only once flown in Premium Economy on an international route (a British Airways operational upgrade) and I would not pay any premium for it. The seat is still an upright one and the food and drink are the same. I would and have paid extra for business which gets you a bed-seat, way better food and lounge access. Whether or not you would do the same depends on what money means to you and what other things you might do with the money. But I would either pay for real comfort or save money and go with the cheapest fare - would not pay hefty extra for no real extra comfort.

You would do much better to fly on to Dublin than break a journey in London because of the hefty UK departure tax - especially if doing it in business class. You can transit in Heathrow, but starting an journey there would be an expensive mistake. Generally, extra positioning flights (e.g. LHR-DUB or ADL-MEL or suchlike) at the start or end of an itinerary are very cheap and sometimes even reduce the cost of a journey.

I totally agree with all of the comments from Rupert. It depends a lot on what you are used to. I fly a lot and now think emirates business is slumming it. But reality is it is a amazing product in business - you get a good sleep on a bed.

I would still go cattle cabin (it may prove alright without the two little ones on board), and have more to spend on treats at my destination and still have change to do more. But then I am a Yorkshire man and we are known to be (very)careful/frugal with our hard earned cash!

I would say though that we do spend quite a bit on our holidays which others could well say were expensive and why do we do it? but that may come from people that think caravan/camping is the best & cheapest holiday!

So after due consideration, do what ever you are happy with and have no regrets about it!

You would if you 1st went with BA!!!!!

I have only been in business class on a regional BA flight from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls (operated by ComAir) and it was fine. Lounge access, wider upright seats with more legroom; choice of meals and reasonable drinks. I know their Club Europe product is derided (economy seats and a bag of birdseed) but their long haul was one of the first to have fully flat beds and their lounges in LHR are superb.

Archived