Singing the National Anthem in Schools

Guest Bora

Guest Guest66881

Sorry been outside raising my national flag, and i changed the doorbell chime to my national anthem too, do you think that's too much?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's anything wrong in having pride in the country that you live in. I think that the National Anthem should be sung by children every day in every school, everywhere. Like today being St. George's Day - okay, I know that there was talk of de-sanctifying St. George on account of him not really slaying dragons but whilst he's still a saint, we should celebrate the metaphorical dragons that he slayed. And be proud to be part of something, whether that something is Australian, British or anything else. It's not really brainwashing and if it's ever proven that it is brainwashing, then I think that a couple of lines inserted about keeping bedrooms clean, working hard and studying hard should be inserted somewhere!

ETA: And another couple of lines inserted about not dropping litter and hanging around on street corners at all hours of the day and night too!

So I made that up did I?

Around 9 million residents - not foreign tourists - leave Australia on international flights each year.

That's around 25,000 each day needing international currency...supplied by banks. Much of it in sterling...about as eventful as opening a cash drawer for a teller. Must have been something else going on in that person's head.

As a POM I feel very proud when I go to the school assembly and hear my daughter blasting out the Australian National Anthem, after all she lives in Australia and goes to an Australian school, she's lived more of her life in Australia, has had the most amazing opportunities in Australia and is very happy in Australia! She then goes onto sing her school song and I cry even more!,

OMG Jessie .. the school song .. always brought a lump to my throat and rapidly blinking eyes. I have to agree, I loved the school assemblies where the anthem was sung.

Wouldn't mind if we had a decent National Anthem to sing but Advance Australia Fair is a dirge. Sounds like it was written by a tone deaf Scotsman while going home on a bus. Oh, it was. AAF sounds especially bad when sung half heartedly or by people who don't know the words. The thought of having to listen to it every day would drive me bonkers. I'd rather hear the theme tune from Skippy.

I am prepared to be shot down in flames by many (if not everyone) on here but I am not at all comfortable with the idea whatever country you are in.

Notwithstanding that the UK NA is something of a dirge anyway, displays of blatant patriotism always make me squirm.

Is there anything the schools do that you agree with?

The only time ive ever stood for a national anthem was in the Melbourne tennis centre when i went to watch a rodeo in 94, the passion with which it was sung made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I cant see what damage singing the national anthem in schools could do.

Have I missed something ? Thought we were on an Aussie forum lol. Is it a German holiday ?

No, it's a mutual appreciation thread. An Aus-German love-in. Think 'Broke-Back Mountain,' with post-coital pies (and sauce).

There is nothing wrong IMO with pride in one's country and this goes for singing the national anthem. I believe in Australia it is so much more than that. I've had many experiences from Australians who have shown an incredible amount of scorn for anything non Australian. This is what my opinion is based on.

You're not alone Connie. I've had the 'horror' look myself a few times!. I remember the first time I came to Australia, being asked the question "So when are you coming to live in Australia then?," and when I gave what I thought was the polite reply of "Oh, we're pretty happy in London thanks," you might have thought the next ice-age had started as my balls began to freeze!. In the arctic silence that followed, you could literally hear a sausage fall off the barbie!. I felt like a war criminal. It was so the wrong answer!.

You know that Monty Python gag about how "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition?," well, this was the Australian version!. And the buggers wouldn't let it lie!. The whole afternoon was punctuated with references to why I "hated" Australia (by being happy to live in England?), and why, "So, Australia's good enough for a holiday, but not good enough to live in?!" In the end I just sat in silence waiting for it to be over like it was a bombing raid. What can you do?

What was particularly unpleasant was how her mates seemed to feel that me being a bit luke-warm about their country back then (as opposed to being ice-cold about it now!) legitimised them making derogatory or patronising comments about the UK. Crap weather?, tick. **** beer?, tick, London public transport not being as good as Brisbane's?….. you get it. It was my first experience of what some refer to as the Australian 'chip on the shoulder' and it was a bit brutal to tell the truth.

And my Australian partner asks me why I avoid her friends! :biggrin:

My sympathies to any Australians who've suffered similar in the UK. I feel your pain.

Is there anything the schools do that you agree with?

Educating children seems a good thing to focus on. I thought that was their primary purpose. Singing a national anthem every day, saying prayers, and grace before meals I don't agree with. You can do those things at home if that is what you want out of life.

Educating children seems a good thing to focus on. I thought that was their primary purpose. Singing a national anthem every day, saying prayers, and grace before meals I don't agree with. You can do those things at home if that is what you want out of life.

Beautifully put. I trust my daughter's school to educate her (although I carry doubts about the competence of it's staff), but spare me the enforced nationalism. We can make our own minds up as parents thanks.

I have no problem with Australia Day (just the daily singing of anthems in schools seems inappropriate). I did feel a sense of pride in the UK in August/September 2012. The organisers, volunteers, athletes and spectators at the Olympics excelled themselves. Britain's finest hour IMO. On the flip side royal weddings, jubilees etc are a tad awkward and embarrassing.

Don't come to Canada then. In our elementary schools they stand and sing the anthem every day, even in High School it is played every morning.

I don't think of Canada as an over the top in your face country when in comes to patriotism unlike our neighbors to the south.

I think you should take pride in singing the national anthem of your country. I still get a lump in my throat when I sign the anthem at a baseball or hockey game.

Cheers

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
Don't come to Canada then. In our elementary schools they stand and sing the anthem every day, even in High School it is played every morning.

I don't think of Canada as an over the top in your face country when in comes to patriotism unlike our neighbors to the south.

I think you should take pride in singing the national anthem of your country. I still get a lump in my throat when I sign the anthem at a baseball or hockey game.

Cheers

Karen

i think it's just wonderful! The bottom line for me is my child's happiness, she skips to school happy as Larry, she's getting an all round pretty good education! Every week they have 'house' meetings, she goes along, sings a house song, learns about team work, she's just an all round happy kid listening and learning and absorbing, I don't get what the issue is! She belts out the anthem, she's puffed up and proud, she's 6 years old for goodness sake and just loves it all, and watching her, so do I!!

Archived