How do you cope with early sunsets?

ImageConfident

I'm not a morning person but I wish I was...the light and the freshness of the mornings here are beautiful

I remember being in our camper on a park in surfers paradise and swimming in the sea with the kids at 5am, was probably 25 degrees even then and stunningly beautiful.

...How do you find it living in Brisbane and coming home from work in the dark every day?

I don't think I do come home in the dark that often in summer Cath...in winter yes. I cycle home after work and in summer it is often full light. Would rather later evenings, and hopefully eventually we'll get daylight savings in Brisbane, but it is probably different to how you imagine after living in a temperate climate in the UK or southern Australia.

A lot of people have flood lights for the back yard and the sun going down does not mean it is cold like more temperate climates. People often still eat outside, swim in the pool (up to midnight even some days), play sport in flood lit parks, rock climb etc.

It is different though and something you should take into account though I guess hard to imagine it accurately without living it. I think the most obvious difference is if you live in the outer suburbs it can be very dark with low density housing you get piss poor street lights and people sticking to their own flood lit backyard rather than being on the streets. Different in the inner city suburbs as more people are out and about on the streets after dark so depends what you prefer.

If I cycle past south bank after dark there is often plenty of people in the southbank pools enjoying the pleasant evening weather while lying in the pool. They can even do things like have free public movies in the pool as it is still warm.

Southbank at night:

holly-jolly-cinema-streets-beach-south-bank11.JPG

To be honest I sometimes prefer it to be dark as part of my commute is along the cycleway you can see running along the front of these buildings and it still takes my breath away some evenings as I come around the corner and see it. It is just beautiful riding around Brisbane at night.

14.Brisbane-461443523-1680x1050.jpg

Source: roughguides.com

Disclaimer: This may not be your commute :)

Edited by fish.01

I don't think I do come home in the dark that often in summer Cath...in winter yes. I cycle home after work and in summer it is often full light. Would rather later evenings, and hopefully eventually we'll get daylight savings in Brisbane, but it is probably different to how you imagine after living in a temperate climate in the UK or southern Australia.

A lot of people have flood lights for the back yard and the sun going down does not mean it is cold like more temperate climates. People often still eat outside, swim in the pool (up to midnight even some days), play sport in flood lit parks, rock climb etc.

It is different though and something you should take into account though I guess hard to imagine it accurately without living it. I think the most obvious difference is if you live in the outer suburbs it can be very dark with low density housing you get piss poor street lights and people sticking to their own flood lit backyard rather than being on the streets. Different in the inner city suburbs as more people are out and about on the streets after dark so depends what you prefer.

If I cycle past south bank after dark there is often plenty of people in the southbank pools enjoying the pleasant evening weather while lying in the pool. They can even do things like have free public movies in the pool as it is still warm.

Southbank at night:

holly-jolly-cinema-streets-beach-south-bank11.JPG

To be honest I sometimes prefer it to be dark as part of my commute is along the cycleway you can see running along the front of these buildings and it still takes my breath away some evenings as I come around the corner and see it. It is just beautiful riding around Brisbane at night.

14.Brisbane-461443523-1680x1050.jpg

Source: roughguides.com

Disclaimer: This may not be your commute :)

These scenes make me really want to move to Brisbane instead of SA - looks amazing :-)

I spent a year in London, loved the late light, gaslight and that "Mary Poppins" softening - think it would have been daylight saving as nightfall came at around 9pm, such a contrast to the experimental summer daylight saving in Queensland - I love the contrast of seasons, shortening days in winter and early light in summer

I spent a year in London, loved the late light, gaslight and that "Mary Poppins" softening - think it would have been daylight saving as nightfall came at around 9pm, such a contrast to the experimental summer daylight saving in Queensland - I love the contrast of seasons, shortening days in winter and early light in summer

What is the Queensland experimental daylight saving? Did it make much of a difference?

What is the Queensland experimental daylight saving? Did it make much of a difference?

They had daylight saving in 1971-2 and again 1989-92 but decided to discontinue. Consequently, in summer, Queensland is 1 hour behind the other eastern states which are normally in the same timezone.

They had daylight saving in 1971-2 and again 1989-92 but decided to discontinue. Consequently, in summer, Queensland is 1 hour behind the other eastern states which are normally in the same timezone.

What a funny old country... They can't even change their clocks together. It must get a bit confusing for the poor folk.