Breaking News - Malaysian Flight MH370

Guest The Pom Queen

They're still saying there must have been human intervention of some sort - the plane was picked up on one of the detector systems as flying fairly low, and apparently at that height wouldn't have made it to the Indian Ocean where they think it crashed, so it must have gained height again first.

It's funny that they are saying there must have been human intervention when the Malaysian authorities have got so much wrong so far about this accident.

Why are we not hearing from Boeing about this ? Because they do not make wild accusations until they have the evidence.

It is just as likely that the autopilot was malfunctioning and caused the plane to deviate wildly. Oh that would be far too simple an explanation wouldn't it! Lets blame the pilots cause someone has to take the wrap.

I'm sticking with the theory there is a serious fault on the 777 and the plane was flying without anyone at the controls.

I saw an interesting theory from an ex-pilot. To abbreviate it a bit the thought process goes like this.

The last known communication was a sign off from the pilot to the air traffic control of the country who's airspace he was just leaving (Vietnam I think) and was a calm 'goodnight'. This gives the impression that at that point there was nothing wrong in the pilots eyes.

The loss of communication could have been caused by a fire on board, possibly caused by a tyre blowing on take off but only setting alight once in the air after smouldering for a while. Either that or the tyre simply smouldered giving off thick smoke which rose into the cockpit and choked the crew, the captain wouldn't have been able to use oxygen in the case of a possible fire and his smoke hood would've only given him a couple of minutes before he suffocated. His first reaction would've been to try and get to a safe airstrip to land, hence the reported deviation from the flight path.

However, having made the deviation to try to get to safety, the crew could've been overcome by the smoke and perished, leaving the plane on autopilot at cruising altitude until such time it simply ran out of fuel and met it's end.

It's funny that they are saying there must have been human intervention when the Malaysian authorities have got so much wrong so far about this accident.

Why are we not hearing from Boeing about this ? Because they do not make wild accusations until they have the evidence.

It is just as likely that the autopilot was malfunctioning and caused the plane to deviate wildly. Oh that would be far too simple an explanation wouldn't it! Lets blame the pilots cause someone has to take the wrap.

I'm sticking with the theory there is a serious fault on the 777 and the plane was flying without anyone at the controls.

I'm willing to bet Boeing are sh*tting themselves at the moment. There are so many 777s in the skies, a serious malfunction could see air travel grind to a halt.

I saw an interesting theory from an ex-pilot. To abbreviate it a bit the thought process goes like this.

The last known communication was a sign off from the pilot to the air traffic control of the country who's airspace he was just leaving (Vietnam I think) and was a calm 'goodnight'. This gives the impression that at that point there was nothing wrong in the pilots eyes.

The loss of communication could have been caused by a fire on board, possibly caused by a tyre blowing on take off but only setting alight once in the air after smouldering for a while. Either that or the tyre simply smouldered giving off thick smoke which rose into the cockpit and choked the crew, the captain wouldn't have been able to use oxygen in the case of a possible fire and his smoke hood would've only given him a couple of minutes before he suffocated. His first reaction would've been to try and get to a safe airstrip to land, hence the reported deviation from the flight path.

However, having made the deviation to try to get to safety, the crew could've been overcome by the smoke and perished, leaving the plane on autopilot at cruising altitude until such time it simply ran out of fuel and met it's end.

A link was provided to that earlier in the thread and the explanation had some credibility but how come the plane then changed from a predominantly westerly bearing to a southerly one? That would not have happened on autopilot.

A link was provided to that earlier in the thread and the explanation had some credibility but how come the plane then changed from a predominantly westerly bearing to a southerly one? That would not have happened on autopilot.

Sorry, hadn't seen the earlier post. I saw it posted on a mates facebook page a few days ago, hence being slightly sketchy on the exact details.

Like you say a heading change from westerly to southerly would be unlikely on autopilot, I can't say it definitely wouldn't happen as my flight experience is 1hr in a 737 simulator.

We can all only guess until any concrete evidence turns up (if it ever does).

I've just seen that the families were informed by text. Surely there's a better way to break the news!?!?

Apparently texts were only sent as a last resort when the families couldn't be contacted in person or by phone. The main driver would've been to ensure they were told before the story broke in the press.

Perhaps the pilots did key in a return path which would be Southerly. From all accounts the problem happened fairy quickly after takeoff so returning to the originating airport makes a lot of sense to me.

A fire on board would explain a lot. The fact that they wouldn't have had any time to call ATC as they would have been overwhelmed with the safety of the plane.

if any good comes out if this it has to be development of an airplane tracking system that is resilient and foolproof. Something that will ensure we can locate flights quickly after they lose contact.

I've heard of a new technology that the US is bringing into force that makes airplanes visible to each other. This is to ensure better seperation for aircraft not equipped with collision detection systems and also apparently improves surveillance (airplanes in the vicinity of MH370 would have visibility of it's flight path)

Anyway looks very interesting, lets hope they mandate this technology.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_dependent_surveillance-broadcast

There was an expert on TV this morning who investigated the Air France crash saying that it's almost certain a mechanical failure. At last someone talking some sense.

Also found this Q&A which I think clears up the flight movements.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/mechanical-cause-behind-mh370-mystery-says-pilot-who-wrote-about-air-france

I really find it strange on the authorities use of language also which seems to be deflecting blame from the Airline.

E.g. Saying the transponder was 'switched off' without mentioning the possibility of failure. This is a cover up IMHO. The comp could run into hundreds of millions of dollars.

I don't know I keep thinking about the how they focused on a deliberate act from the beginning. If they had asked the right people I'm sure they would have put the pieces together sooner and seen it as an unfortunate accident.

Pilot has fire in the cockpit, he battles fire turns plane around carries on working with problems but is overcome. Plane flies under own steam perhaps with autopilot off and with minimum fly by wire. So kinda flies aimlessly until runs out of fuel

Archived