Prices - what surprised you and shocked you the most?

richselina

Hi,

I'm interested to find out from new arrivals from the UK what shocked you most about the prices in Australia and what surprised you the most when compared to the same items in the UK?

Looking forward to some interesting comments :)

Everyone is replying on how much more things are ! ha ha.

I guess thats what you meant when u said 'surprised' (would be a very short thread if you had asked what people find cheaper here :mad:)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's cheaper if you have a loyalty card.

We have one for Grand Cinemas so pay $12 for a normal screening as opposed to $22 without the card. Card is $60 (I think) but you get a couple of free tickets and popcorn upgrades etc. so pays itself off really quickly even if you go once a month (as a family).

We also get a grand card every year. If you are regular movie goers it's worth it.

Thing is, if you walk in the chippy here, the bloke buying probably earns 70k+ a year, the bloke serving probably earns 15-20 bucks an hour.

If you walk in the chippy in the UK, the bloke buying probably earns 20k+ a year, the bloke serving probably earns 5 quid an hour.

Let’s face facts, the chips are never going to cost the same are they?

If you moved to Mars and everyone got paid 40 million zogs a year (including fried potato technicians), guess what, a bag of chips wouldn’t be 2 quid there either. And PomsOnMars would be full of people moaning about Martian rip-offs.

The only whinge I have is when you have to buy "minimum chips" at the Chippy. They serve you $3 worth that would feed 5 people. Asking for a single serving is impossible.

Yes......but they won't be anywhere near the quality or flavour (read soggy and fatty) that you can get at any fish and chip shop in "good old blighty".........according to many on this forum.

I have noticed that the price of Anti Whinging Tablets is exorbitant, which obviously explains why most of you poms don't buy them.

If you don't moan things will never change, that's why Australia is behind the times in many ways.. But hey pat your self on the back because you don't whing , but shut your eyes on modernisation in other country's

Petrol still cheaper here. Breads a bit pricier.

Just had to get the family (four of us) injected for typhoid and one of the hepatitisses (??) for our upcoming hols though - combined injection so four needles in total - $750! We could have bought an extra flight for someone else for that amount! Don't remember ever paying for jabs in the UK, apart from maybe Yellow Fever one.

Good points. I'd rather pay a bit more than have American society where the higher earner get to feel big by stuffing dollars in the hands of the poor in the form of "tipping"

Guest The Pom Queen
Petrol still cheaper here. Breads a bit pricier.

Just had to get the family (four of us) injected for typhoid and one of the hepatitisses (??) for our upcoming hols though - combined injection so four needles in total - $750! We could have bought an extra flight for someone else for that amount! Don't remember ever paying for jabs in the UK, apart from maybe Yellow Fever one.

Wow Diane, that's steep.

Guest The Pom Queen
What's with a small bottle of water costing $4!?

You can get 24 bottles from woolworths for $8 = 33cents per bottle. But yes if you buy one bottle from the servo or shop its $4

If you don't moan things will never change, that's why Australia is behind the times in many ways.. But hey pat your self on the back because you don't whing , but shut your eyes on modernisation in other country's

I gather you're leaving soon so you won't have to put up with all this backwardness for much longer.......funny there must be lots of changes in a short period of time in the 9 months since I was last in Europe and the UK.......must have really had a modernization spurt in that time.

Guest The Pom Queen
Window washing is expensive because it is very unusual to get someone to clean your windows here. In the UK they tend to be doing a run in the area on a regular basis so there is not the travelling time that there is here between jobs. Also, to be fair, most people have a lot more window area here....

I got a quote for a window cleaner it was $250 :swoon:

The only whinge I have is when you have to buy "minimum chips" at the Chippy. They serve you $3 worth that would feed 5 people. Asking for a single serving is impossible.

Maybe cause they cook it fresh so its gotta be worth their while :).. I had the opposite problem in the UK.. I was really hungry and this chip shop did a cone of chips for 90p I think it was, and a portion for 1.50.. I only had 1.30 so I said could I have 1.30 worth and they said no, can u belive it...was not impressed

Archived