Salary halved in oz?!

Kempy

Hi, posted similar question in jobs and careers last month but I'm now quite desperate for some further advice so posting here. OH works in operations in banking. We are gutted as similar jobs are appearing to offer salaries almost HALF of what he is on now in the UK. This is according to online ads/advice from one Aussie recruitment agent. Totally different salary to what 'Wanted Down Under' would have you believe.

Not sure whether to give up now. We are supposed to be going for a better quality of life- but we are not going to be able to cope on half his salary in a city where our rent will be double than our current mortgage. Always knew we would be slightly worse off financially but now we are about to go, it seems financially impossible. Praying it's not?!?

Just stating how I feel here in desperate hope that someone can say, "don't pay any attention to what you see online or listen to recruitment agents." At the very worst we thought he could earn the same amount (approx $100k AUD) but again, no sign of this happening. Only hope is majority of online ads don't specify salary but often he can't apply until in oz so we don't know if $50ish salaries will feature across the board.

We were supposed to book flights tomorrow. Not sure what to do. Wish it was more transparent.

If anyone reading this is at the start of their journey, my advice is research well as go ASAP. At the start of our application, circumstances were entirely different and had we been able to go then I think we would be living the dream instead of it slipping away...

If you have looked on Seek employment and also spoken to a recruitment consultant then you have the information at hand. I think I read somewhere that the "average" wage in Aus is AUD$60,000 so presumably that is the least you should expect to get if you are management etc? Although I have read a lot of posts that say that you have to be prepared to start at the bottom again due to not having any Aus experience.

None of this is very helpful to you or sounds like good news but if you want to make it work, it will work out for you. It may mean a slightly lower standard of living but eventually it may be worth it, depending on your reasons for moving. A better quality of life isn't a given, especially if you do have to make sacrifices x

I'm working in finance in Sydney. I'm not sure where you are from in the UK but I know that Sydney salaries for what I did in Belfast are significantly better. Maybe that's just Belfast salaries though as you can't compare that to London, for example!

I'm working in finance in Sydney. I'm not sure where you are from in the UK but I know that Sydney salaries for what I did in Belfast are significantly better. Maybe that's just Belfast salaries though as you can't compare that to London, for example!

Yes, we are in London...but still doesn't seem right with cost of living higher and everyone saying they earn more there. Another hope of mine is perhaps there is a mismatch in job titles. Keeping my fingers crossed, thanks for your advice

Yes, we are in London...but still doesn't seem right with cost of living higher and everyone saying they earn more there. Another hope of mine is perhaps there is a mismatch in job titles. Keeping my fingers crossed, thanks for your advice

Perhaps have another look on Seek, doing a general search under banking and see which job descriptions best fit what your hubby does. Also remember that the general rule of thumb is that you need 2.2 x your UK income to have a comparable lifestyle. This then gives you room to manoeuvre in terms of lifestyle etc.

HI here is a tip for you.. All jobs on seek have the salary, they just hide it from you but they must provide it in order to advertise. To find the salary you can use the salary range search. Set it at say 80,000 and see if any of those jobs you are looking at with no salary disappear, if they do it means they dont pay that much.

HI here is a tip for you.. All jobs on seek have the salary, they just hide it from you but they must provide it in order to advertise. To find the salary you can use the salary range search. Set it at say 80,000 and see if any of those jobs you are looking at with no salary disappear, if they do it means they dont pay that much.

Second this - this is how I work out whether a job is worth applying for.

What is your husbands job title and experience? Maybe then we could give you a better idea.

I know I for one earn less in Australia than I would do in England, so its not always double or more for everyone!

This gives detailed information on salary categories in different cities. It is for 2012, but probably the latest available at this stage.

http://www.robertwalters.com.au/files/salary-survey-2012/Australia-salary-survey-2012.pdf

Thank you, very helpful. It looks like it's definitely a lot less than London but not as bad as I thought. More like $80k rather than $50k but not quite the $120-130k expected.

Thank you! Yes, gave us an insight. 71 jobs with no salary bracket and 11 at the $100k but 10 in management.

You need to factor in tax as well, not familiar with the recent brackets in U.K but after a certain amount here you have to pay 50c in every dollar.

Im not an accountant but I have often wondered if someone earning 100k whether they would take the similar net amount compared to a 85k earner.

You need to factor in tax as well, not familiar with the recent brackets in U.K but after a certain amount here you have to pay 50c in every dollar.

Im not an accountant but I have often wondered if someone earning 100k whether they would take the similar net amount compared to a 85k earner.

thanks, actually makes $85k seem a lot better. Must find out about tax cut off point

If someone is taking 50 cents in the dollar out of your pay in Australia you need to talk to your payroll office. The top rate of tax in Australia is 45 cents in the dollar OVER $180,000.

First $18,200 - tax free

$18 - 37,000 19 cents in the dollar

$37-80,000 32.5 cents in the dollar

$80 - 180,000 37 cents in the dollar

over 180,000 45 cents in the dollar.

and Medicare is on top at a couple of per cent.

Kempy,

I think I mentioned last time that your husband really needs to just get his foot in the door, and then things will improve. It need a 2-3yr plan, but the good thing in Australia is that you can progress without a degree, but it will be harder to get started. I've noticed that non-Australian experience seems to be largely ignored, so just be prepared to be patient.

I'm accepting that we will have to cut down our lifestyle when we go there. Although I'm quite happy with that, I think I've had my fill of city jobs. I just need to find someone who is willing to pay me a lovely high salary to stay and home and do a bit of craft - ideally beside a beach!!

*lives in hope*

Kempy,

I think I mentioned last time that your husband really needs to just get his foot in the door, and then things will improve. It need a 2-3yr plan, but the good thing in Australia is that you can progress without a degree, but it will be harder to get started. I've noticed that non-Australian experience seems to be largely ignored, so just be prepared to be patient.

I'm accepting that we will have to cut down our lifestyle when we go there. Although I'm quite happy with that, I think I've had my fill of city jobs. I just need to find someone who is willing to pay me a lovely high salary to stay and home and do a bit of craft - ideally beside a beach!!

*lives in hope*

I'm not sure non-Australian experience is entirely ignored - it was what got me my job here - but inevitably you have to take a step backwards, because regardless of the job, you are in both a new country and a new company, and things will be done differently. There is a period in which you'll need to relearn. Moreover, your contacts book is useless once you get here, and don't underestimate the value that you lose there. No one knows your work, no one can vouch for you over here, and you don't have the network of useful people to help when you need them. Again, it takes a couple of years to build that back up again. So, inevitably, the first couple of years, at least, are going to be about learning and re-establishing yourself, however, experienced and skilled you are. That has certainly been my experience.

Archived