Why today I am so proud to be British

Perthbum

The UK will act "with the greatest urgency" in offering the "most needy people" in Syrian refugee camps a "home in our country", says David Cameron.

The prime minister told MPs he wanted to "particularly help those who have been victims of sexual violence".

Deputy PM Nick Clegg said on Tuesday torture victims, elderly and disabled people would also get priority.

:notworthy:

Well the government didn't want to take any refugees. Im not proud of us taking refugees as I really do think we have issues that need fixing in the UK and not sure taking more people is going to help.

What I am proud of however is that we are the second biggest donor of aid to Syria and the biggest in Europe now that makes me proud.

I think we can do both!

I'm not saying that there isn't a lot of stuff that needs sorting out in the UK (or Oz) but I think we can still help others at the same time

I would be proud if my country was helping it's own first, not ignoring the domestic problems and aiding others

I think we can do both!

I'm not saying that there isn't a lot of stuff that needs sorting out in the UK (or Oz) but I think we can still help others at the same time

I'm not saying don't help others, but bringing them into the country, giving them housing and all the benifits and crap is just wrong..... send them medical aid, food, you name it, just don't bring them home!!

Some people really need to leave their country....and find safety in ours.

That said, there is a lot wrong with our system and there are criminals who use the system and this needs to be stopped.

I do also wonder if the really badly off people would even be able to leave their country or would they be too scared, have no money to travel, not have the knowledge of even where to start?

I'm not saying don't help others, but bringing them into the country, giving them housing and all the benifits and crap is just wrong..... send them medical aid, food, you name it, just don't bring them home!!

Pssst, @ the thread :biggrin:

Looking at PB's topic, anyone else proud today?

I'd be proud of anyone who opens up their home to house a refugee. Don't claim you haven't got room; compared to how they're living now you flat would be a paradise.

I'm convinced it would lead to a life changing cultural exchange.

I will point out I stand by my comment that we probably shouldn't have more refugees right now in the UK.

Having said that I very much do believe in asylum. Some people in Syria simply can't remain there and intact in most countries with serious problems there will be people who simply can't stay there anymore. My opinion is that right now due to public feeling they should be housed somewhere else rather than the UK.

But if as a country we simply decided that bringing people in need in to the country would simply not happen any more ever, well that is not a country I would ever want to be associated with.

Complicated int it? But this is what I mean about it being a tolerant country......people discuss their views and to be honest I think we all understand the plight of these people and the strain on the UK's resources at the same time. What's nice is that people are reasonable and like you said you would never want to close the door.....

I will point out I stand by my comment that we probably shouldn't have more refugees right now in the UK.

Having said that I very much do believe in asylum. Some people in Syria simply can't remain there and intact in most countries with serious problems there will be people who simply can't stay there anymore. My opinion is that right now due to public feeling they should be housed somewhere else rather than the UK.

But if as a country we simply decided that bringing people in need in to the country would simply not happen any more ever, well that is not a country I would ever want to be associated with.

been there, done that with other countries......dodgy ground. Shouldn't that be a UN decision.....not little England that thinks it's still so big?:unsure:

Wouldn't a better solution be for Cameron to invade Syria, get rid of the dictator and remove the conditions that cause these people to need to be refugees ?

then they could stay in their homeland.

Wouldn't a better solution be for Cameron to invade Syria, get rid of the dictator and remove the conditions that cause these people to need to be refugees ?

Cameron was all for it. Labour didn't want to back a Tory escapade in the desert, they reserve that simply for themselves.

Guest Guest 47403

You think to invade lose british lives then replace of the current dictatorship is the best option? Iraq worked a treat didn't it :err:

You think to invade lose british lives then replace of the current dictatorship is the best option? Iraq worked a treat didn't it :err:

As the famous quote says ... Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

This may have been said about Hitler, I can't remember exactly.

But the point is clear. Sometimes you must act to stop a dictator. Taking a few refugess won't stop perhaps millions more being slaughtered.

True it may not be easy, but you have to address the cause not just the effect, or it will not stop.

Archived