PR has expied but still want to move to Oz. Can we apply again?

Apnea21

Hello

A little background.....

7 years ago we applied for a skilled visa giving us PR. A week after we sent it off we found out I was pregnant with my first child. He was added to the visa and we validated our visas in 2009. We got caught up with careers and kids (went on to have 2 more) and also toyed with the idea of moving to South Africa to be with my husbands family. However after lots of reserach into this and travel to SA we now know that it's not the right thing for us. We still want to move abroad and definitely think Australia is the place!

So what are our options? Does anyone know? Can we apply again for a skilled visa? Is there anyway of using our old visas and application to help us? Will the immigration department even let us apply again? I am a nurse, OH is in IT.

Any advice/ experinces you can share? I know we should have gone the first time and having looked into how different the process is we are really kicking ourselves but this is the situation so just want to know where to start!

You won't be the first or last to do this. I doubt you would get a resident return visa if you have not spent any time in Australia in the last 5 years especially if you can't prove any close ties but it might be worth a look.

otherwise you would need to apply again your previous application will have no impact on this at all, but you will need to mention it on the application as it asks the specific question.

things have changed but if you still qualify go for it, you will be shocked at the new visa fees for a family of 5 though!

Thank you

We were actually there exactly 5 years ago, until mid feb I think so may be worth speaking to an agent about a residents return visa ASAP. I guess by close ties they mean family? Most of my husbands oldest friends live in Brisbane (people he has known since primary school)and I have large group of old friends there too. They all have kids the same age as us. Would that count for anything?

Yes rammygirl I have seen the costs and I was very shocked! Our original application cost £1500 whch I think included medicals to add my son was £300 or so pounds. SO a huge difference. The nursing side of things has changed dramatically too. We score about 75 points so would have a good chance I think.

You can look at getting a Resident return visa- you might get a 1 year one but wouldn't hold out ttoo much hope. If you did get granted RRV your other 2 will need child 101 visas- waiting time is around 7 months.

Your old application will not affect new one in a positive or negative way - you should check that you still qualify for a visa as the points system is very different - you might need new skills assessments done. Visa application fee for family if 5 your looking at nearly $8k.

You will need to sit IELTS test - not sure if you needed to last time - there is no points for have uk passport as there was before. For nursing skills assessment they require academic IELTS test.

Having friends in Australua would not be showing close ties.

What would be counted as showing close ties, if you don't mind me asking.

Debbie

Debbie2302 I just found this on the Immi website

Personal ties: Substantial personal ties may be of benefit to Australia if you are, or have been, a participating member of the Australian community and economy. Living in Australia for a substantial period of time or living overseas with an Australian citizen partner is taken into account. Proof of personal assets or family who live in Australia could also help to demonstrate personal ties if you are able to show they are both substantial and of benefit to Australia.

Thank you, I'm curios as our visa runs out this September and with my three 18 yrs olds not wanting to go and starting uni this year, if we could get an extra year then me and hubby could get the kids settled in uni and think of going over next year. My hubby has three cousins who have lived and worked in oz for a number of years now, this would be our only way of an extension if that would be possible.

Debbie

I got a one year RRV August gone,basically because i have a job offer,no ties to Aus,only validated PR visa,good luck

Did you just give details of job offer, nothing else, take it you need to be there with in the year then, have you got a date for starting new job.

Good luck with everything.

Debbie

Did you just give details of job offer, nothing else, take it you need to be there with in the year then, have you got a date for starting new job.

Good luck with everything.

Written job offer Debbie,from a Builder in Adelaide,also included hse not selling and a few other extenuating circumstances as to why i wasn't able to migrate by original PR visa date,whether the extenuating circumstances are taken into account,i dont know tbh? i'm guessing the job offer was the main thing by far tho

Thank you Debbie

Thanks Pablo, might have to go down a similar route ourselves.

All the best Debbie,hope it works out as you want,but i always tell meself that if it "doesn't" work out for me,then i'm not in a bad place anyway,que sara eh?thats how i look at life anyway,best of luck though girl

Thank you

We were actually there exactly 5 years ago, until mid feb I think so may be worth speaking to an agent about a residents return visa ASAP. I guess by close ties they mean family? Most of my husbands oldest friends live in Brisbane (people he has known since primary school)and I have large group of old friends there too. They all have kids the same age as us. Would that count for anything?

Yes rammygirl I have seen the costs and I was very shocked! Our original application cost £1500 whch I think included medicals to add my son was £300 or so pounds. SO a huge difference. The nursing side of things has changed dramatically too. We score about 75 points so would have a good chance I think.

Having friends over here isn't going to help, neither does having family I've found out, when my Sister tried to emigrate, didn't help her one bit. If you are in nursing I would imagine you'd qualify again but it's going to cost a fair bit. Good luck with the residents return visa.

Thank you, I'm curios as our visa runs out this September and with my three 18 yrs olds not wanting to go and starting uni this year, if we could get an extra year then me and hubby could get the kids settled in uni and think of going over next year. My hubby has three cousins who have lived and worked in oz for a number of years now, this would be our only way of an extension if that would be possible.

Debbie

Don't think having cousins here will help. Don't worry about the kids going to uni and helping them settle in. They will have forgotten abut you after the first couple of Happy 2 hours in the student bar.

• 1 month later...

Hi debbie

How are you getting on? Have you decided to go for a RRV?

We have decided it's not the way for us to go. Mainly because my 2 little ones never had a visa and it would also be quite a big rush for us to do it all and get there in the next year.

Sooooo we have decided to start again from scratch with a skilled visa application. I can't quite believe we are going to go through it all again but anyway, the time is right this time and I feel fairly undaunted by all the paper work.....at the moment. We are saving hard for the fees and hope to have our application off by November. Plan is to arrive in Oz Aug 2015!

Hi debbie

How are you getting on? Have you decided to go for a RRV?

We have decided it's not the way for us to go. Mainly because my 2 little ones never had a visa and it would also be quite a big rush for us to do it all and get there in the next year.

Sooooo we have decided to start again from scratch with a skilled visa application. I can't quite believe we are going to go through it all again but anyway, the time is right this time and I feel fairly undaunted by all the paper work.....at the moment. We are saving hard for the fees and hope to have our application off by November. Plan is to arrive in Oz Aug 2015!

Can I suggest that you consider including your (now) 18 year olds on your new visa application as migrating dependents even if they say they don't ever want to move to Australia - if they're at uni, they should be eligible for inclusion. They would need to visit to activate their visas but if they really don't want to move here, they don't have to but at least the option will be there if they change their minds at some future time. Given that they're over 18, if they're not included, the only way they could move here would be by individually qualifying for skilled immigration in their own right. If you include them on your visa application, having parents and siblings as PRs or citizens should provide strong enough ties to make a Resident Return visa possible even more than 5 years down the track.

Agree with above, at that age they change their minds like the wind.

Yes it will cost quite a bit more, but down the line it could save a lot of heartache and expense.

both my sons were adamant they would stay in the UK. But one migrated with us and the other is here for a while until he starts a PhD in the UK, he now wants to maintain his PR just in case so has been discussing RRVs etc.

They don't really know until it happens how they will feel. I don't expect my youngest to stay with us forever, I never did but it was nice that he could easily join us at the last minute!

Archived