No fixed abode

antrimlad

Hi all.

Im kind of a lurker on here. Like a sponge soaking up information :biggrin:

Reason for post is twofold.

1. Got word this morning that my residency (189) has been granted and I just had to tell someone ! :wink:

2. Was wondering if any of you that migrated to Oz have chosen a life on the road? We will be moving in the next 6 months from Ireland to WA, but I am having real doubts about throwing down anchor. I kinda fancy the idea of living like a glorified back packer, definitely for the short term as living in a hi ace is considerably cheaper than living in rental accommodation.

Just after any thoughts members might have??

thanks guys

Hey Antrimlad, Me and my OH have done exactly what you are thinking of, we arrived in Oz in September, bought a motorhome, then travelled from Newcastle up and over currently in WA Perth area, we are staying in a campsite, living in the motorhome, and its awesome. I would recommend it to anyone, although everyone is different what works for one and all that. I would decided how you want to live/travel, you can get some great campers on gumtree and it is a lot cheeper than a rental especially when you are not 100% sure where you want to base yourself. If I can help with anything let me know

Does overseas drivers licence remain valid. Presumably you could not switch to an Aussie licence without an address. Also what about insuring the vehicle, Medicare etc. I don't know if any of these are an issue for you, just throwing them in so that someone in the know confirms all ok.

Guest Ptp113
Hi all.

Im kind of a lurker on here. Like a sponge soaking up information :biggrin:

Reason for post is twofold.

1. Got word this morning that my residency (189) has been granted and I just had to tell someone ! :wink:

2. Was wondering if any of you that migrated to Oz have chosen a life on the road? We will be moving in the next 6 months from Ireland to WA, but I am having real doubts about throwing down anchor. I kinda fancy the idea of living like a glorified back packer, definitely for the short term as living in a hi ace is considerably cheaper than living in rental accommodation.

Just after any thoughts members might have??

thanks guys

Very few poms do this. They lob into one state/territory, don't like it, and do the Pommy Run. They are convinced it's all exactly the same and won't be told otherwise. Poms always have trouble seeing the 'big picture', not surprising when everything 'back ome' is miniscule.

Thanks for the replies guys. Mrs fabricator, have yous picked up much work? I will definitely be hounding you for info nearer the time of arrival :)

grey sky, when we were there before (2009) we were able to register a van by having a couple of nights booked in a campsite and producing receipt. I am (maybe naively) assuming that I will be able to obtain drivers licence with the same set up. Insurance would not be an issue, third party insurance with rego of van. It will be something in the line of a 1990's hi ace, so no big expense involved.

medicare I will definitely be looking into.

Congratulations on your visa grant !!!!

If we didn't have the kids i think travelling and picking up work here and there is something we would have done for at least a year or two. If you can afford to do it, go for it,enjoy and explore...

Cal x

Hey Antrimlad, Me and my OH have done exactly what you are thinking of, we arrived in Oz in September, bought a motorhome, then travelled from Newcastle up and over currently in WA Perth area, we are staying in a campsite, living in the motorhome, and its awesome. I would recommend it to anyone, although everyone is different what works for one and all that. I would decided how you want to live/travel, you can get some great campers on gumtree and it is a lot cheeper than a rental especially when you are not 100% sure where you want to base yourself. If I can help with anything let me know
how much is campsite rates? am a nosey buggar

We didn't bother with medicare etc until we decided where we were going to settle, you do need a residential address, we were advised that if you are staying in one place for a couple weeks you can use the campsite address, then you change your details once you settled. We were told that when you do these things basically the powers that be just want to know where you are staying the day you do paper work. We used our UK licence with no probs.

We got a campsite book, it gives you the details of all the free camps in Oz, it a great investment, about $50 but well worth it, we did stay in a payed site but not every night it would be too expensive, it would be sort of every few nights, can use a washing machine showers etc.

We knew that we would be based in WA, so we had a rough idea of where we were going, I would defo say plan ahead. the cost for a paid site is around $30 per night, this can go up or down depends, the biggest expense would be fuel, but again if you set out with a budget you will be cool.

Thanks for the replies guys. Mrs fabricator, have yous picked up much work? I will definitely be hounding you for info nearer the time of arrival :)

grey sky, when we were there before (2009) we were able to register a van by having a couple of nights booked in a campsite and producing receipt. I am (maybe naively) assuming that I will be able to obtain drivers licence with the same set up. Insurance would not be an issue, third party insurance with rego of van. It will be something in the line of a 1990's hi ace, so no big expense involved.

Just note that, unlike the uk, 3rd party with rego is person only. You need to purchase 3rd party property insurance separately.

Hi, A UK drivers license is valid for 12 months after your arrival date. We renewed ours really easily at the local rego ofice, just be prepared to queue, not very expensive and they came in the post within a month.

Rego in SA provides 3rd party insurance as part of the cost, not sure if that's the same is WA though.

Register for Medicare as soon as you arrive and if you're coming to SA don't forget to take out Ambulance cover. Should you be unlucky enough to need an ambulance, if you don't have cover then you get stung with an $800 bill!

Good luck, enjoy

Way to go. By the way the road is full of Poms as well as Germans and others. Most though are here for the short term(year or two WHV) but increasingly many find ways to stay on once here.

Australia is a big country, ideally set for road trips. There are free camp sites in the North of OZ but can't say for the South. Camping out in vans is somewhat controlled at least in urban areas and grounds can verge on the expensive. The long distances involved add to the cost and the declining dollar is seeing petrol prices rise. You could always team up with a few others as we did to keep costs low.

Far better way to do it than to just arrive and plonk yourself in some suburban setting in one of the cities, which can be a little dull.

Being on the road tends to be a far easier way to meet a range of folk from varied backgrounds and ages and countries. Recommended.

I would love to travel around Australia for a good 6 months before we settled down but don't think it's viable with the kids lol. However it sounds like a fab thing to do :) xx

LOL. we were the same, you will have to count down the years until the kids leave home then you can do it, we are,lol

Cal x

So loving your style!!!

Very few poms do this. They lob into one state/territory, don't like it, and do the Pommy Run. They are convinced it's all exactly the same and won't be told otherwise. Poms always have trouble seeing the 'big picture', not surprising when everything 'back ome' is miniscule.

Do your observations include ALL poms or a select few?What a ridiculous childish post!

Just a tad racist there mate..... not all English migrants are like that.... guess you might have a bit of an issue to deal with yourself.

Archived