TV in Aus

BritChickx

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest, I'm not sure. We have it but the way the packages are done we are on the top whack because we watch things on FX and Showcase, if we could only get those two channels we would be happy. Can you not download? Or JBHiFi in central were selling TV series on DVD 2 for $30 and if you have a dvd player I probably have some box sets I can lend you

We have it because my son pays for it BC. Just about the only thing we watch is sport though, maybe the odd National Geographic show. We find we still watch the free to air channels through the foxtel box. It's good for recording stuff though and skipping through the adverts.

Too much American, TV by numbers, shows.

Well... Paul's work mate has a load of movies and tv series for us we just need to buy a hard drive to copy them to. I just miss watching Channel 4 documentaries mostly....and things like 8 out of 10 cats :laugh: won't matter so much when i'm working I guess.

I use a bit torrent client and a cheap media player I bought on-line for film and series downloads. You would be able to download most documentaries, series and films from there if you're desperate. Media player is very small, cost about $40 and you can put a hard drive in it. Has a HDMI connection and a USB port and I've not found any format it won't play. You just connect it to the TV and use the remote. Great little box.

A lot of Channel 4 documentaries are on ABC1 and 2 and sometimes SBS.

Just abandon it. Aus TV is even worse then UK TV. We just watch films and series on bluray - most people seem to happily exchange illegally downloaded films and TV shows quite openly as if there is nothing wrong with it, even though they would frown on other types of dishonesty. I suppose they just regard it as 'victimless'.

Just abandon it. Aus TV is even worse then UK TV. We just watch films and series on bluray - most people seem to happily exchange illegally downloaded films and TV shows quite openly as if there is nothing wrong with it, even though they would frown on other types of dishonesty. I suppose they just regard it as 'victimless'.

tbh I found UK TV to be worse than TV here when we were back there in September. I was the last one up one night and my Sister doesn't have Sky. The only thing I found that was remotely worth watching was an old repeat of Only Fools and Horses. Dell boy looked about 15.

We have Foxtel, although I can't exactly bring myself to recommend it.

It's good for Sport and the docos are pretty much the same as are on Sky. The Entertainment and Movie sections are pretty poor though.

The terrestrial TV is like ITV on steroids, on every channel i.e. diabolical. All I watch on free-to-air is the news and some sport e.g. The Ashes are on 9.

Is Foxtel worth getting? Or shall I give up on TV? There's nothing to watch ever on the free channels...and I'd like advert free TV :laugh:

We have far more channels than we actually watch, but I definitely prefer to have it and never / hardly ever watch the free channels. We find things we like on UKTV, Lifestyle and the news and documentaries channels. We also have the sport package although I personally do not watch any sport. Initially we had movies not sport, but there were never any decent movies so we swapped.

Guest Guest26012

We have foxtel. Mostly because hubs watches the sport, me too sometimes. I could survive without it though as I'm not a big tv watcher.

We don't have Foxtel because I refuse to pay for loads of stuff we don't want just to get the one or two channels that have a couple of programs on each that we do watch. We have a set top box with a hard drive and two tuners and we record everything so we can fast forward the ads. Plenty of choice on free to air if you look for it, although some stuff can be on at weird times. Not an issue for us as we just record it and watch it later.

For anything we want to watch that isn't available on the free to air we either borrow it from the library or obtain it in some other way....

I wouldn't bother personally. More than enough on free tv with ABC and SBS. The cricket was free on 9 but I preferred to attend in person. Enough also with internet without further solitary pursuits.

I am with you on this FOC. More than enough on free TV, so along with that, my books and internet, why would I pay for stuff that I would not have time to watch. But, each to their own, and if the need is there and the money for it, go for it BC.

Guest Guest66881

We have repeat tv (fox) mainly for the kids stuff and i like my wildlife documentaries, but mainly watching free to view stuff SBS is an excellent channel, anyone watch that film the other night 'the street' excellent film.

Archived