Getting around Oz without a car?

audre

it seems everyone in Oz drives! if you do not have a car (or your partner needs the one car you do have) how do you get around? is cycling to work an option, if you live in a smaller town / rural areas?

are rural towns really that bad with bus systems as everyone tells me? experiences most welcome!

Generally i would say you need a car in Oz. Even if living in the city.

As for smaller / rural places then it is a must. A lot of small towns may only have a bus that runs once a day at best - in some there is no public transport.

The distances are not like the UK - most people do not have a corner shop on their doorstep. For me, to get a pint of milk mean a 10km trip.

My wife gets by without a car when i am away as she doesnt drive, but it means there are a lot of things she struggles to get to. The bus were we are is good during the week. But on a weekend it goes down to every 2 hours. Then she has to get a train, then another bus with potentialy a long wait.

We are semi rural but on an 'estate' and Public Transport is pretty much non existent. I couldnt ever imagine living here without a car, i think the only time id maybe contemplate it, is if i was inner city.

Another reason a car is necessary IMO is to get out and about, there is so much to explore it would hard to do most of it without a vehicle.

Cal x

it seems everyone in Oz drives! if you do not have a car (or your partner needs the one car you do have) how do you get around? is cycling to work an option, if you live in a smaller town / rural areas?

are rural towns really that bad with bus systems as everyone tells me? experiences most welcome!

I hate the car dependency in OZ with a passion. That's why I live inner city. The need to drive for a litre of milk would be my idea of hell. Actually lived the first three of so years without a car in Perth. But always lived within a half hour usually far less walk to pubs, multiple supermarkets, cafes and the like.

If you can't live inner city then live near good train connections at least. Was reading the other day living in Melbourne's outer burbs costs $11,000 on car use. Worth considering when factoring in extra cost of living closer to the action.

Actually delaying updating the car which is 13 years old with the thought of perhaps not buying another but hiring one when going out of town. Don't really need it for the cost involved and besides used to cycle when public transport wasn't feasible or wanted a change.

So yes it can be done and have known a few folk living inner city that didn't own a car or didn't drive. Just pick the area well.

I hate the car dependency in OZ with a passion. That's why I live inner city. The need to drive for a litre of milk would be my idea of hell. Actually lived the first three of so years without a car in Perth. But always lived within a half hour usually far less walk to pubs, multiple supermarkets, cafes and the like.

If you can't live inner city then live near good train connections at least. Was reading the other day living in Melbourne's outer burbs costs $11,000 on car use. Worth considering when factoring in extra cost of living closer to the action.

Actually delaying updating the car which is 13 years old with the thought of perhaps not buying another but hiring one when going out of town. Don't really need it for the cost involved and besides used to cycle when public transport wasn't feasible or wanted a change.

So yes it can be done and have known a few folk living inner city that didn't own a car or didn't drive. Just pick the area well.

The OP asked about living in smaller towns or rural without a car.

Its very simple. you need 2 cars. new or old doesn't matter, but without 2 cars its not practical (and living rural if one is a Ute it's a bonus)

Cycling to work would be an option in many smaller towns and not in others. Would all depend on where your house is situated in the town I imagine. Living in a city cycling to work is definitely an option and we have sold my car because of it so many small towns would offer similar opportunities.

I live in a very small town in rural WA, but we have 4 buses a day that run in and out of town, it is sometimes just a matter of researching. They pass through so quick and there is no bus terminal to speak of, just a sort of shelter, so people who have cars don't tend to realize that they are there.

I cycle to work, it is a few Km away, but I was used to doing this in the UK, and the weather here makes it only easier and nicer to get around on the bike.

The OP asked about living in smaller towns or rural without a car.

Its very simple. you need 2 cars. new or old doesn't matter, but without 2 cars its not practical (and living rural if one is a Ute it's a bonus)

It depends on the town. Same applies. If you are willing to use cycle/skate board/ motorised cycle/ scooter or just walk depending on distance usually one or more means available.

You would need to pick a town where alternative options could be used.

Good luck

It is possible, I have just returned from cronulla, Sydney after two years. I have epilepsy so couldn't drive and to be honest wouldn't have the confidence to learn to drive across Sydney, nor would I want too be stuck in hours of traffic a day.

The train was ok, always packed at commuter times, buses are not very reliable and accessible.

its do able, but not easy.

What about your leisure time? Would you be happy to stick around town for activities or would you rather go further away? Renting a car for the weekend might be an option but if you do that often, it will be expensive. We have 2 cars now ( in US), absolutely essential here for the distances we have to travel, job and school location etc. We are planning to have 1 car only in Australia, mostly to get around on the weekends ( we have small kids and we`re out and about almost every weekend now).

thanks for the responses all!

we have one car so im wondering what the experiences are! we will be using it for joint activities and explorations but one of us might have to walk / cycle / get a scooter for the time being!

from what you helpful folk tell me, seems like an effort, getting a bus, or cycling but doable!

:cute:

Doubt living in rural area without a car would be feasible.

That's why i like living central and within walk of things, i'd put on so much weight driving everywhere elsewhere.

thanks for the responses all!

we have one car so im wondering what the experiences are! we will be using it for joint activities and explorations but one of us might have to walk / cycle / get a scooter for the time being!

from what you helpful folk tell me, seems like an effort, getting a bus, or cycling but doable!

:cute:

It really depends where in oz you are looking to live, eg, city or rural oz...

What about your leisure time? Would you be happy to stick around town for activities or would you rather go further away? Renting a car for the weekend might be an option but if you do that often, it will be expensive. We have 2 cars now ( in US), absolutely essential here for the distances we have to travel, job and school location etc. We are planning to have 1 car only in Australia, mostly to get around on the weekends ( we have small kids and we`re out and about almost every weekend now).

Only time a car more or less essential is when visiting in some suburb. But as it is impossible to drink and drive in Australia a taxi usually does the trick. For close on every place usually visit with frequency like Fremantle, Cott Beach, Perth City, Subi, Leederville or are down the road or very easy to reach by train.

One important consideration though is many jobs insist on a reliable car. That would be where the main problem would be.

Where I am it's do able...it's a big enough place to have buses running regularly. If we go out of the city it'll be a bit of a journey on the bus so i think for now until i get my drivers license we'll stay in the city so it's easier for me for when i start work or go out by myself.

I cycle to work and around town and I love it. I do catch the bus or a lift from my partner when it rains though! My partner has a car which he takes to work, and we can both use in the evenings and at weekends and while occasionally it'd be nice to have 2 cars, having 1 works just fine for us. Might be different if you have children, although we have friends who have 2 kids and one car and that seems to work for them too.

I cycle to work and around town and I love it. I do catch the bus or a lift from my partner when it rains though! My partner has a car which he takes to work, and we can both use in the evenings and at weekends and while occasionally it'd be nice to have 2 cars, having 1 works just fine for us. Might be different if you have children, although we have friends who have 2 kids and one car and that seems to work for them too.

i see what you mean, i reckon it is easier to have 2 cars when kids are around, dropping them off to school and activities. we are a young couple, dont have any kids yet and im the one who would be cycling at this initial stage (or taking the bus) :twitcy:

We have 2 young kids, 1 car and I ride my bicycle to work. At the moment on the two days my wife works she drops the kids off in the car, parks the car back at home and then buses to work. I cycle to work early, leave early and cycle home and then use the car to pick them up. Jumping straight onto your bike at work can see you home relatively quickly in some cases, before public transport in my current case.

We have also used a tow along bike to drop a child at kindy and then detach it, cycle to work and re-attach at pickup. Kids love it and bicycles seem to offer more options to us in the daily logistics than a car would as cars are often pretty useless in cities due to parking issues etc. In Brisbane I cycle every week of the year...morning and afternoon commute are pleasant a very high percentage of the time. In other cities YMMV. I see more and more bicycles on my commute these days. A lot more women too which is great. Such a great way to get to work, I really love it.

Archived