Cost of a holiday

Guest51810

Just go straight for the WHV. Buy an open return ticket if you're worried about work and if you really run out of money and can't find anything then just come home.

I went out on my WHV with only just under £3k, (not including my flight over - and I didn't have a return ticket). It was about 2 months before I got a job. In total I worked for 7 months of the 12. Towards the end of the year I claimed my tax back which gave me a good amount of Aussie dollars, I think it worked out at about 1k English money. But I couldn't then work anymore after I claimed that, but I needed it then.

I lived on noodles and stirfrys and the 'goon' which I think worked out something stupid like £4 for a 4 litre box lol! I didn't see everything I wanted but we did a lot. We got a bit distracted by boys though!! ;)

I'm an indecisive person too, and I was only 20 when I did this. I'm quite proud of myself really for having the guts to do it! Go for it, YOLO and all that :)

Do you have to be out the country to claim the tax back?

Sounds like you had a great time! If I had the full money amount sitting I'd be off lol

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to be out the country to claim the tax back?

Sounds like you had a great time! If I had the full money amount sitting I'd be off lol

No (at least you didn't at the time, I don't know the rules now), but you just couldn't work there again. We did have a great time, I think about it often (which is why I come here) I did go with a friend though we did go our own ways a bit at times.

Are you planning to go on your own? We met lots of single travellers and they were all doing great.

No (at least you didn't at the time, I don't know the rules now), but you just couldn't work there again. We did have a great time, I think about it often (which is why I come here) I did go with a friend though we did go our own ways a bit at times.

Are you planning to go on your own? We met lots of single travellers and they were all doing great.

yeah it'll just be me, my friends aren't interested in that kind of travel. Unless I meet someone before then but they'd have to want to come too!

If you just want to get off for a bit, fill out the summer camp paperwork.

cheap holiday, you work hard but it's fun too.

you will get contacts with people in Australia that means less accommodation costs if you come out a year or two later.

then look at WHV, you have years left until you are too old to qualify for that.

Australia has been here a long time, it's not going anywhere.

So... As I mentioned flights to aus for around 600 next year. I know its a very general question but for a holiday what's the minimum backpackers go with for a few weeks? I'm just trying to work out if I can afford the cheap dates or wether I should just wait till a later date.

I'm happy to do things like go to the beach etc but I'd obviously like to do some touristy things that costs money

Some advice please!

get a job when you're there, find a man and don't come back ;)

I nearly booked london recently but I stopped myself because I know the money could pay a good chunk of my aus flight.

Well there's helpx where you volunteer a few hours a day for your bed and food, I guess doing that for a week or two is a possibility. There's a few cool ones like wildlife centres etc

The price of hostels seem to be around 25, I didn't find that bad.. The hostels in london seemed to be around £25.

I have family in melbourne so if I was going there I'd pop by and see them for a few days

I thought you said your mum wouldn't let you go to London.

Are they really going to let you go all the way to Australia ?

I'm just remembering what you said when you wanted to go to London for the weekend, and they they freaked out and didn't want you to go.

I think doing something your parents want is the worst decision ever. God if I had listened to my mum more I wouldn't have gone to aus on a WHV or come here to live. I'm sure Stacey will make up her own mind when she's set on what she wants to do.

They're only saying no or being negative because they're worried and will miss you. Just keep reassuring them and tell them how you'll keep in touch all the time. I speak to my mum on Facebook nearly every day lol. She's not worried about me because I'm with Paul but when we thought Paul was going to work away I said i'd send her a message every day to let her know i'm fine. I have been given rules not to go out by myself at night time though :o

:animal-cat::animal-cat::animal-cat::animal-cat::animal-cat::animal-cat::animal-cat::biglaugh:

Sorry that was maybe a bit defensive lol I apologise parley. My mum and gran can be a bit of a nightmare sometimes but they are the ones saying I'd be better just adding the extra money and doing the full tour