Moved to Warnbro,W.A,from Putney but miss London so much

Neil Partner

Hi I moved to W.A Warnbro and have been here for 17 months but I have had real sadness of missing London Putney...

i know it's a great place here with my two children and wife,but I have no family here and other daughter in London.

i have a good garden co,and wife has good job,but feel London was so different with shops,culture and busy.

great beaches and bike rides here,but can't get London out of my head.

Does this go as I was thinking London seemed more interesting.:dull:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yer thanks London,Warnbro are two different worlds,and I find I am missing the buzz and the old architecture,just so different.

its lovely here beaches,bike rides...but can't explain ..bits of everything..

friends,family,other daughter....

It's easy to explain have felt the same myself in days past. Perth does not or come close to filling in the gap created by leaving London. A completely different way of thinking needs to be undertaken or it probably won't work.

Location location. If you want busy as in 24hr then probably even Perth CBD won't cut it. Like QSS says why Warnbro, not knocking it, suits plenty but it is a bit far out for those looking for something more than a beach and house.

could you try one of the busier suburbs, east Perth, Freo, mount lawlay, Subi etc and see how you fare?

Yer thanks London,Warnbro are two different worlds,and I find I am missing the buzz and the old architecture,just so different.

its lovely here beaches,bike rides...but can't explain ..bits of everything..

friends,family,other daughter....

Even the inner city has a subdued sense of buzz. I can only imagine what Warnbro must be like.

Yes I know there completely different but until you try these things you are not going to know what they are like.

i have been here for 17 months and there are things I love here in Warnbro like paddle boarding,great weather,bike rides out door live.

but it's the family ,friends from years, .But I have made good friends here and have great house by beach so feel very grateful..I am just keeping busy with children and gardens and enjoying family stuff,seem to be lhappy at mo,not making any plans .

thanks for reply

We've settled in Warnbro (for now) and in comparison to the tiny village we used to live in there are a huge number of people, but much much less in the way of social life! Lord it's hard to get to know people here!

I guess that we were looking for something different in our lives and for now we are enjoying walking the dogs on the beach and chilling out :cool:

It must be very hard for you to be so far away from your child :hug:

Yes I know there completely different but until you try these things you are not going to know what they are like.

i have been here for 17 months and there are things I love here in Warnbro like paddle boarding,great weather,bike rides out door live.

but it's the family ,friends from years, .But I have made good friends here and have great house by beach so feel very grateful..I am just keeping busy with children and gardens and enjoying family stuff,seem to be lhappy at mo,not making any plans .

thanks for reply

So it's not so much the leaving of London then but friends and family. That has nothing to do much with Perth, outside of distance perhaps, as anywhere would have been the same.

We've settled in Warnbro (for now) and in comparison to the tiny village we used to live in there are a huge number of people, but much much less in the way of social life! Lord it's hard to get to know people here!

I guess that we were looking for something different in our lives and for now we are enjoying walking the dogs on the beach and chilling out :cool:

It must be very hard for you to be so far away from your child :hug:

It is very hard. Folk not very interested in others outside of family and somewhat invisible anyway. It's very much a keep to yourself type of place which doesn't suit some. I live in the inner city and it isn't so different but have lived in various locations around Perth and found it similar in that respect.

I was exactly the same, missed the smoke so much, however 2 years in I believe I have adapted to a new way of life and must admit really love it here now. As previous posters have said its a total different lifestyle and you have to really try to change your lifestyle and go with the flow. you'll be fine just everytime you think of London , go down the beach and have a bbq or do something Australian that you cannot do in the UK it works trust me. I have been where you are. I'm up the road in Waikiki and its very much the same.

There is nothing that comes close to London, trying to compare Perth (anywhere) is futile.

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

— Samuel Johnson

There is nothing that comes close to London, trying to compare Perth (anywhere) is futile.

Trying to keep it balanced simmo .......I personally think to bring up young kids , Perth is right up there , but not to live for good ....no criticism from me though

I have a love -hate with London ....some of the suburbs are horrible , and to see the way old cockneys have been moved further and further out of the inner city is heart breaking , you don't see any cockneys now ( except for millwall country, eltham , Rotherhithe ) ...those buggers refuse to move

On the flip side , those suburbs around the royal parks , near the thames....are beautiful .

But if you offer me a weekend in " the capital of the world " I will bite your hand off .....I get all Winston Churchill ....I see those union jacks flying everywhere , and I know iam home .

The wife , myself and our youngest are going down for the day , bit of Christmas shopping, probably at my expense ....and I get genuinely excited ....I have to say .the City of London as a visitor is getting better .

I was looking at some old video and photos from the 80s of London ....it looked tired then , much better now

Ah Putney, lived there for a couple of years and loved it. Certainly no comparison to Perth!

But does sound like you miss family and friends more - that unfortunately is difficult to replace.

Oh, I dunno, Putney beaches don't quite come up to Perth beach standards, do they?

Cheers, Bobj.

Oh, I dunno, Putney beaches don't quite come up to Perth beach standards, do they?

Cheers, Bobj.

here he is , on cue to defend his adopted country ......Bob ,if beaches and sunshine are your thing 24/7 - 365 ....then fine ......but if you are looking for something else , then Perth might not be for a particular person , long term .......I mean Perths museums ...art galleries ...cinemas ....theatres ....monuments ....history ....events .....fall just short of londons , but there is no need to get all defensive

here he is , on cue to defend his adopted country ......Bob ,if beaches and sunshine are your thing 24/7 - 365 ....then fine ......but if you are looking for something else , then Perth might not be for a particular person , long term .......I mean Perths museums ...art galleries ...cinemas ....theatres ....monuments ....history ....events .....fall just short of londons , but there is no need to get all defensive

As you wrote, B61...if it is your thing, then fine. Each to their own and all that guff.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi I moved to W.A Warnbro and have been here for 17 months but I have had real sadness of missing London Putney...

i know it's a great place here with my two children and wife,but I have no family here and other daughter in London.

i have a good garden co,and wife has good job,but feel London was so different with shops,culture and busy.

great beaches and bike rides here,but can't get London out of my head.

Does this go as I was thinking London seemed more interesting.:dull:

Sorry your feeling a bit low and missing London. It must be so different for you moving from a suburb like Putney to the laid back location you live now.

As much as London does me in sometimes I'm sure I'm gonna miss it heaps. But lets think about the downsides of SW15 (and London in general). And of course London is going to be more interesting to you, it's what your used to. And it's a massive City dating back from the dark ages and all the History and investment which go with it.

Less people using the pavements in Warnbro! how many times did you have to side step to avoid bashing in to someone texting or in a hurry (do you really miss the busy streets).The blooming traffic at a stand still from the A3 to the bridge. Avoiding all the cyclists who ride en mass now on the roads! The Roehampton estate? I moved there as a three year old and then to the Lennox Estate (not nice), The pubs at chucking out time? Dryburgh swimming pool (I bet the Warnbro pools are a lot nicer) and lets be honest Putney High Street lost its appeal a longtime ago, everyone uses tinternet anyhow. Nick Clegg as a resident!

I always find I romanticise about the places I'm familiar with when I'm away from them. The reality is Putney/London is not the beall and end all (why did we want out in the first place). Hope you find a way to deal with the homesickness, I'll have to find a way when we move out next year cos I know it will manifest itself. Start planning a holiday back, knowing something is still accessible always helps.

Hope it works out for you guys x

Sorry your feeling a bit low and missing London. It must be so different for you moving from a suburb like Putney to the laid back location you live now.

As much as London does me in sometimes I'm sure I'm gonna miss it heaps. But lets think about the downsides of SW15 (and London in general). And of course London is going to be more interesting to you, it's what your used to. And it's a massive City dating back from the dark ages and all the History and investment which go with it.

Less people using the pavements in Warnbro! how many times did you have to side step to avoid bashing in to someone texting or in a hurry (do you really miss the busy streets).The blooming traffic at a stand still from the A3 to the bridge. Avoiding all the cyclists who ride en mass now on the roads! The Roehampton estate? I moved there as a three year old and then to the Lennox Estate (not nice), The pubs at chucking out time? Dryburgh swimming pool (I bet the Warnbro pools are a lot nicer) and lets be honest Putney High Street lost its appeal a longtime ago, everyone uses tinternet anyhow. Nick Clegg as a resident!

I always find I romanticise about the places I'm familiar with when I'm away from them. The reality is Putney/London is not the beall and end all (why did we want out in the first place). Hope you find a way to deal with the homesickness, I'll have to find a way when we move out next year cos I know it will manifest itself. Start planning a holiday back, knowing something is still accessible always helps.

Hope it works out for you guys x

Sometimes people begin to miss the things they used to hate! Its very strange..

Cheers, Bobj.

Lolz, maybe not, but we did live by the river and could go for a paddle every now and again! If you are a beach fan then Perth is certainly the place to be, if you're a City fan, not so much.

I think you're right, you do romanticize about a place once you've left - I read the above and think - Yes I do miss the busy streets, the hussle and the bussle, places to be people to see.... traffic on the A3/A4 was a pain, but then the flip side is that traffic on the Kwinana is also a right royal pain in a morning. When I lived in Putney I could cycle along the river to work in 20 minutes, here I don't have a choice. The Swimming pools down the A3 were quite nice actually, the Lido at Hampton? Lovely on a (not very often) sunny day. Also the Leisure center in Putney was pretty good for a swimming pool, the one I pay for here at Bibra Lake isn't any better. And at least Putney has a high street, Warnbro doesn't! (a shopping centre doesn't count).

But I did leave Putney despite loving it - moved out to Windsor so the husband could go one way on the M4 (Newbury) and I could go the other (Chiswick). Now that was a commute that wasn't much fun on a morning! And again, we loved Windsor - but always had a hankering for something new - hence Australia.

I have to say very well said B61, for fear of wading in here....A well considered and accurate post followed by Bobj.... It's not a very compelling case really........Just in case, some facts ... firstly, Putney is on a River, a Brown one at that not the emerald Indian Ocean. It is not a coastal settlement. Perth is. It doesnt have 'beaches'. Where does the Perth beach stop....back where it started...... Not really comparable would you say ??? The dig rather reminds me of when our good friends up the seven sisters road remind us of a far and distant win against there good friends from up the seven sisters road, when we consistently keep our good friends from up the seven sisters road firmly in there place.

Archived