News on TV

Wellers and Whitehead

Just sat watching the news (in UK) and Its very noticeable how depressing the news is...tragedies all over the world..however in Sydney they do not report a lot of the **** that goes on...I'm not sure which is best? To be informed and feel a bit depressed...OR remain unaware of what's happening internationally/ locally, unless you search it out/ read decent newspapers.

I was aware of this in Sydney..that they don't put much of the **** that goes on, on the news.

Does the news influence how you feel? It must do...

I'm not sure which I prefer...it annoyed me that terrible stuff wasn't reported in oz..but likewise they put it in your face here but at least you know what's happening around you!

W&W,

I agree with you. There is not a lot of international news being reported on the main commercial Aussie networks. As I recall there was a public broadcasting network that reported everything; I don't remember it being free to air, so many would not have access to it. While we were living in Sydney, if we wanted to feel like crap along with the rest of the world, we would tune to BBC World or CNN, get our fill, shake our heads, and switch back to the rugby =)). I got to the point that ignorance is bliss...that's why Australia is Australia, I guess....."...No worries, mate!!"......

Try ABC since the mid 1950s or ABc News 24 for about 2 years since we went to digital or SBS World News for around 25 years or so.......all free to air and have been for 20 odd years.

get our fill, shake our heads, and switch back to the rugby =)). I got to the point that ignorance is bliss...that's why Australia is Australia, I guess....."...No worries, mate!!"......

no need to listen to wrong advice.

I wasn't try to dispense wrong advice, I was giving my .02 on what I recalled from three plus years ago, and my opinion on the matter ......and since W&W is located in N. Yorkshire, they probably don't have ready access to ABC, ABC 24 or SBS. That being said, SBS was the network I was couldn't recall; thanks for that........

I was amused / shocked / intrigued at the news reporting here (Aus). I agree with you. They just don't report half the stories. ABC isn't too bad though.

Also you'll be watching the news and all of a sudden someone walks in and try's to sell you a set of stoneware pots and pans! Bizarre!

I was amused / shocked / intrigued at the news reporting here (Aus). I agree with you. They just don't report half the stories. ABC isn't too bad though.

Also you'll be watching the news and all of a sudden someone walks in and try's to sell you a set of stoneware pots and pans! Bizarre!

You're watching the adverts interspersed with some news items. Try ABC:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Ha..this is so true...

The pots and pans obviously take priority over World news , but do they come on before the Rugby League , Cricket , Soccer and any other sport that Australia is partaking in , or should I say victorious in , because if they are not winning we all know selective reporting takes over ..

Dave C

Ha..this is so true...

Intelligent people watch ABC, SBS or listen to ABC 24 hr news. No pot sales on those channels and everything is reported. Not uncommon for me to post on a large U.S forum (BITOG) major events happening in the U.S that they were totally unaware of.

Personally I reckon British News coverage is the best in the world, far superior to anywhere . But I do think that the way we take our news is so different now to the days when I watched the local news followed by the national news, followed by the 9 O'clock news followed by News at ten. My very favourite was Frost on Sunday, with a huge mug of coffee and the Sunday papers. I don't miss constant updates about Katie Price, Peter Andre etc etc etc though. I do like a bit of Sunrise in the morning. I've a soft spot for Koshie. But admit to missing Sir Trevor , John Suchet etc.

'News on TV' around the World isn't a true picture, it's all agenda driven.

You only have to look at what the BBC has become over the past 15 years. If it can happen to that institution, it can happen to any.

i know, and that's why I don't know if I prefer oz or UK agenda...oz...lets not tell people what's really going on around them or the world..or UK...lets tell them everything and depress them ha

Al Jazeera now takes premier place over BBC in my home, although I still watch BBC daily. The current affair docos on Al Jazeera cover many stories that just wouldn't be seen as "important" by the BBC and surprisingly, there seems little bias.

With regards to world coverage in Oz. When I arrived here there was only 5 channels available, and though the commercial channel coverage of world events, was, and still is pretty dismal, ABC and SBS had/do have it well covered..............I would have thought that 2 out of 5 ain't bad, and if you owned a commercial channel and were in the business of "making money", would you give world events more coverage? I doubt it................commercial suicide.

There is not a lot of international news being reported on the main commercial Aussie networks. As I recall there was a public broadcasting network that reported everything; I don't remember it being free to air, so many would not have access to it.

Why would you even attempt to get international news off a commercial network? They target a mental age of about 10 and their aim is to make money for their shareholders. International news is never going to be a money spinner.

The ABC has been the public broadcasting network since the 1930s. It has always been free to air, in fact that is part of its charter.

It covers international news daily in multiple programs on both its radio and television networks.

In addition, another network, SBS, was set up by the Australian government specifically for the diverse ethnic groups in Australia. It therefore concentrates very much on international news. It has an hour long news broadcast in prime time each evening titled, pointedly, World News Australia. It has another half hour later in the evening. Again, it is completely free to air.

The ABC also a dedicated news radio station, available Australia wide, 24 hours a day.

It's called ...wait for it....News Radio. It broadcasts not only from Australia but takes regular programs from the BBC, PBS (the US public broadcasting service), Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Radio Nederlands, Deutsche Welle, South African Broadcasting etc.

If anyone claims they can't get access to international news in Australia...they obviously haven't looked.

Yes, SBS is our favourite for genuine world news. Lee Lin Chin's wacky outfits are an added bonus.

All the others are along the lines of 'We'll come to the tornado which has decimated Sydney CBD a little later in the programme - but first our main story: Gary Ablett has stubbed his big toe and will not be turning out for the Gold Coast on Saturday...'

i know, and that's why I don't know if I prefer oz or UK agenda...oz...lets not tell people what's really going on around them or the world..or UK...lets tell them everything and depress them ha

Maybe you should have changed chaanels when you were here?

Al Jazeera now takes premier place over BBC in my home, although I still watch BBC daily. The current affair docos on Al Jazeera cover many stories that just wouldn't be seen as "important" by the BBC and surprisingly, there seems little bias.

With regards to world coverage in Oz. When I arrived here there was only 5 channels available, and though the commercial channel coverage of world events, was, and still is pretty dismal, ABC and SBS had/do have it well covered..............I would have thought that 2 out of 5 ain't bad, and if you owned a commercial channel and were in the business of "making money", would you give world events more coverage? I doubt it................commercial suicide.

Ahh I forgot Al Jazeera they are very good.

Yes, SBS is our favourite for genuine world news. Lee Lin Chin's wacky outfits are an added bonus.

All the others are along the lines of 'We'll come to the tornado which has decimated Sydney CBD a little later in the programme - but first our main story: Gary Ablett has stubbed his big toe and will not be turning out for the Gold Coast on Saturday...'

Just getting their priorities right as of course they should. How is his big toe by the way?

Why would you even attempt to get international news off a commercial network? They target a mental age of about 10 and their aim is to make money for their shareholders. International news is never going to be a money spinner.

The ABC has been the public broadcasting network since the 1930s. It has always been free to air, in fact that is part of its charter.

It covers international news daily in multiple programs on both its radio and television networks.

In addition, another network, SBS, was set up by the Australian government specifically for the diverse ethnic groups in Australia. It therefore concentrates very much on international news. It has an hour long news broadcast in prime time each evening titled, pointedly, World News Australia. It has another half hour later in the evening. Again, it is completely free to air.

The ABC also a dedicated news radio station, available Australia wide, 24 hours a day.

It's called ...wait for it....News Radio. It broadcasts not only from Australia but takes regular programs from the BBC, PBS (the US public broadcasting service), Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Radio Nederlands, Deutsche Welle, South African Broadcasting etc.

If anyone claims they can't get access to international news in Australia...they obviously haven't looked.

Skani....it gives them something extra to complain about.........keeps the poor little dears happy

Skani....it gives them something extra to complain about.........keeps the poor little dears happy

If you mean me complaining..I'm not sure i was complaining...I was comparing...we have now somehow got world news fixations...but I also didn't see local/ NSW stuff of high importance...that's all I was saying whether I prefer to not know a child dies every week and a half ( as its not reported) unlike in UK or if not knowing is better...that's all..

If you mean me complaining..I'm not sure i was complaining...I was comparing...we have now somehow got world news fixations...but I also didn't see local/ NSW stuff of high importance...that's all I was saying whether I prefer to not know a child dies every week and a half ( as its not reported) unlike in UK or if not knowing is better...that's all..

It is reported, you were asleep

Guest Guest 47403

Well the great British news at ten led with the story of a bloke that jumps off planks of wood above a swimming pool telling folk he was gay (like we hadn't already sussed that!), it later moved on to the 8 people that had died when a helicopter crashed in to a pub in Scotland, and them moved on to the trial of 2 religious freaks who tried to decapitate a serving British soldier. :dull:

Guest Guest 47403

PMSL you really do have a titty on with oz :laugh:

You make it sound like Chinese censorship, they'll be blocking facebook next, youtube the week after next :wub:

Major network news in Australia does focus on firstly what happens in the city, then state, then country, and rarely a world story.

News is only half an hour with commercials and when you need sport and weather, there is not a lot of time.

For those who want the World news... SBS World News is very good in the evening.

Archived