Taking Food into Oz

anitalund

I'm flying back home to Sydney tomorrow, not been there long so not sure what I can take from the UK. Here's what I'm packing. Can anyone tell me if these things are allowed? If I have to declare them, and whether they should go in suitcase or hand luggage as some are liquids (although in sealed containers).

Hendersons relish

Cadburys dairymilk

Bramley apple sauce

Paxo stuffing

Thanks

You are required to declare them .. I would be packing them in my checked in baggage , that way , you will not be subjected to a questioning at the baggage security check stage . I usually bring in chocolates and other sweets , and on one occasion a wedding cake . I declared them all and was allowed them no problems ..

Dave C

I'm flying back home to Sydney tomorrow, not been there long so not sure what I can take from the UK. Here's what I'm packing. Can anyone tell me if these things are allowed? If I have to declare them, and whether they should go in suitcase or hand luggage as some are liquids (although in sealed containers).

Hendersons relish

Cadburys dairymilk

Bramley apple sauce

Paxo stuffing

Thanks

Declare it, no doubt about it. For a start they're uncannily good at catching people - so good it's definitely not just luck - so you're risking a fine.

Also, when you do declare the food they are surprisingly reasonable.

I think we have so much health & safety and legal BS in the uk we've learned not to declare anything, and indeed the person asking you the questions wants you to say "no" so BS procedures don't need to be followed. Aus seems to be a bit different, people still have discretion and common sense.

As others have said, pack them in the suitcases, to save the hassle of carrying them and an potential issues at security check points with liquids etc. On arrival at Auss declare everything, (and would help if they are all together in a suitcase so you know where they are.). From my own experiences of taking food in, as long as its still packed and sealed,(original commercial packaging) there wont be any issues as long as you declare it. A lot of the time they just ask what you have and without even looking at it, an d then let you through. (often quicker than the 'nothing to declare lane!!)

I declared a packet of Thorntons Chocs on my card, I was asked what I had and was told, oh they're fine. In a couple of weeks I'm taking back, so far, some freeze dried Dowe Egbert's coffee and Bisto Onion gravy granules! Can't find either in Perth!

Guest littlesarah
I declared a packet of Thorntons Chocs on my card, I was asked what I had and was told, oh they're fine. In a couple of weeks I'm taking back, so far, some freeze dried Dowe Egbert's coffee and Bisto Onion gravy granules! Can't find either in Perth!

Dowe Egbert's is sold as 'Moccona' in Australia.

I know, but I need the vacuum packed powder for my filter machine and I've only ever seen the instant granules. I look for it everywhere I go! Thank you Sarah :)

I'm with you on the Douwe Egberts. Love the stuff. Been drinking the red for years. Still drink koffie melk with it (evaporated from a can but the same stuff).

We've been hitting the central market here and found a few beans we like so all is good :)

I'm with you on the Douwe Egberts. Love the stuff. Been drinking the red for years. Still drink koffie melk with it (evaporated from a can but the same stuff).

We've been hitting the central market here and found a few beans we like so all is good :)

Red for me too! Haven't tried Koffie Melk, but miss my DE! Bringing a few packets back with me :)

Red for me too! Haven't tried Koffie Melk, but miss my DE! Bringing a few packets back with me :)

Its a Dutch thing. They use it in their coffee, not plain milk. Really brings out the flavour if you don't drink it black. I have to buy evap milk when not in the NL as its the same thing. Just need to make sure I store it in a jug not the can as it can thicken and then won't pour out. Much prefer the NL way of selling it in small cartons solely for coffee use.

You can bring in most packaged foods, put in your case and declare. Our visitors and us bring loads in. They usually just ask what it is rather than inspecting and you actually get through quicker. We get choc, biscuits, paxo, cereals etc. Even got vacuum packed Staffordshire oatcakes bought in last time!

• 5 weeks later...

Was going to say yum, koffiemelk! I recently found a lovely one too, Friesche Vlag Goudband... darn, wished we'd tried it earlier! I'll miss that too.... I was contemplating of bringing over some DE coffee myself, but we shall see how much we have in our luggages!

Was going to say yum, koffiemelk! I recently found a lovely one too, Friesche Vlag Goudband... darn, wished we'd tried it earlier! I'll miss that too.... I was contemplating of bringing over some DE coffee myself, but we shall see how much we have in our luggages!

Evaporated milk is the same. Tastes the same in coffee. It's what I've been using for years in place of :)

My sister wanted 3 bottled jars of potted meat, she told me not to bother declaring them as they'd take them off me. I didn't listen to her advice as she wouldn't have been the one who got fined. I declared them, they took a look at the ingredients and made a couple of checks and everything was fine. They gave them me back and I was on my way, no more than a 5 minute process and I didn't fall foul of Customs!

Archived