Food in England

garyupnorth

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The op had me worried/concerned about uk food, it seemed a little sad that someone could miss a kebab! was expecting someone else to come up with McDonalds next! but the rest of the posts put some faith back.

My Mothers Yorkshire pudding and onion gravy, and my Yorkshire fish & chips (cooked in dripping) with salt an vinegar! as the original chippy.

The op had me worried/concerned about uk food, it seemed a little sad that someone could miss a kebab! was expecting someone else to come up with McDonalds next! but the rest of the posts put some faith back.

My Mothers Yorkshire pudding and onion gravy, and my Yorkshire fish & chips (cooked in dripping) with salt an vinegar! as the original chippy.

i am glad that I was able to put some faith back into English food for you, the OP wasn't posted to make you feel sad and I wasn't intending to make you worried or concerned, it was posted for a bit of humour........but at least your reflection upon good old Yorkshire puddings onions gravy might have made you smile and stopped you from being a little sad.

i am saddened to here that you had a bad kebab experience, but there are a lot good traditional kebab shops out there.:wink:.

i am saddened to here that you had a bad kebab experience, but there are a lot good traditional kebab shops out there.:wink:.

You are making your own sadness up, I never mentioned having a bad kebab experience! Just trying to understand how you ask about what food you miss from the UK then say how a kebab can be so missed (without any smiley's to indicate humour) from the UK, when they are readily available in OZ (there are even a drive through ones now), and like a McDonalds, are very similar wherever in the world you go! except maybe where the traditional kebab originates from and that's the only place you will find traditional kebab shops, where the methods and tastes have not been played with so as to more suit the British palate!

Enjoy! I know I will in two weeks time.

More of a boost man meself, will miss them when I leaves this green and not so pleasant land!
You can buy Boost in all the usual choccy-selling shops here! And there are variants on the standard bar too like a twin pack of skinny Boosts. I went through a Boost-bingeing phase for a while then got sick of them heheh!

Winkles, whelks, cockles, potted (morecambe Bay) shrimp, pork pie

I come from about 5 miles from Morecambe and I would kill for some potted shrimps. As a child we used to go to Morecambe and get shrimps and my Dad would make his own. I have managed to find replacements for everything now after 8 years but sadly I cannot replicate the potted shrimp!

Guest The Pom Queen

Fish and chips in Scarborough. Hollands Steak and Kidney pudding. Scampi. That's it I think, oh and a Stanforth Pork Pie from Skipton

I actually liked the Aussie kebabs , not as generous portion wise but tasty all the same. Smoked fish ..yes fish n chips - its the chips and the fish batter that makes the difference.. crumbed fish? poke it...

Aussie rib eye is the king though. (see balance)

I come from about 5 miles from Morecambe and I would kill for some potted shrimps. As a child we used to go to Morecambe and get shrimps and my Dad would make his own. I have managed to find replacements for everything now after 8 years but sadly I cannot replicate the potted shrimp!

From my unfinished auto:

I met up with these men whenever I could and became quite attached to Bert who would occasionally give me a wink and beckon me over with a twisting motion of his head to where he was sorting fish. He would give me a couple, which, after the trucks had left, I would try and sell to passers-by and spend the money in the amusement arcades I had noticed that these trucks never went straight back to their parking lot but went at a slow pace, up a side street on the promenade. One day I followed them as they stopped outside some large wooden doors that looked like the entrance to a stable as it had a door above which was a wooden beam, from which hung a pulley and rope Bert acknowledged the fact that I had followed, by smiling at me and, as he swung the big doors open, he beckoned me in.

I was aware of a strong, rather unpleasant smell and it was then that I noticed a huge tub with steam rising, being attended to by a portly woman wearing one of those "turbans" that women used to wear in the pictures of the war years. The baskets of shrimps were unloaded and Charlie emptied one into the tub. No sooner were they in than he took a huge ladle and began fishing them out again and I was amazed that they had changed colour to a pale brown. They were then spread on a huge bench with steam rising from them, whilst the "crew" sat down for a smoke to wait for the water to come to the boil again and the procedure was repeated I was in absolute awe of all I had seen, both now and in the preceding months, and remember telling myself that I wanted to be just like them when I grew up. Bert peeled a few shrimps, tasted one, smiled, and held one out for me. It was like nothing I had ever tasted, and I asked for some more. He held up his finger as if to say, “wait a moment”.......I realise (only) now, how he was a man of very few words, and that he had an uncanny ability to express himself (to me), purely by body language...........thinking back, I can only remember him saying a few phrases such as "good lad" or "I'll be buggered" He got up from his stool and went over to a bench on the other side of the room and came back with a small pot and a couple of slices of brown bread. He stuck a knife in the pot and came up with what appeared to be butter with lumps in it, which he spread on a slice and offered to me. "Potted shrimp", he said with a nod as if to say, "Go on, try it", which I did, and I can remember the taste to this day, “Divine” is a word my wife uses freely when eating her favourites, but it is a word that somehow doesn’t do justice to my first taste of Morecambe Bay shrimp He said, that the shrimp would be a long time boiling and that I should come back in a couple of hours, so I went off to pursue my other hobby of scraping the pennies from under the drawers of the amusement machines, round the corner on the Golden Mile.

When I returned, I noticed, long before I reached the large doors that housed the shrimp boilers, a different smell to that which I had previously encountered. Stepping inside, I was beckoned to "come here" by Bert, who was stood alongside the bench from where he had previously brought the potted shrimp. There were 2 more turbaned ladies and the lady from earlier was stood by a big gas ring on which stood a huge pan from which she was ladling what I recognised as molten butter into the pots that were being filled with shrimp by the other two ladies. Now I knew how they got the shrimps into the butter!

And Somerset Brie.....

There is a wonderful company called "The Cheese Shed". They sell over 100 cheeses from Devon, Cornwall and Somerset. They do the most amazing Christmas Boxes (had some for the last couple of years and have ordered them for the rellies this year). They are really worth a try:

http://www.thecheeseshed.com/

We used to order from them regularly for special occasions. If we were going back, I would be ordering from them to have something ready for me on arrival. After lunch we would be going straight for a decent Indian.

Yep, proper Cornish pasty although the ones we make at home do stave off the cravings. Nothing like eating one on a Cornish cliff top though.

Wensleydale cheese. I have found a farm which makes 'Caerphilly cheese' which has the right flavour but not quite the right texture, its Denmark Farmhouse http://www.denmarkfarmhouse.com.au plus they make awesome fudge (highly recommended!)

I miss proper soggy style chip shop chips and mushy peas, and a decent Indian.

Last time we were back we went into Morrisons and I particularly enjoyed the 60p custard tarts and a bottle of Frijj chocolate milkshake! Another indulgence was visiting Caudwells Mill in Derbyshire where they have a fantastic vegetarian cafe. I just love their Homity Pie, must make another of those soon.

My partner can't tolerate bread very well but we do like beans on toast. He asked me to get potato waffles as a bread substitute but it seems they are unavailable here in Coles/Woolies/IGA.

Archived